F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Back Up Camera Retrofit
GetBMWParts

01-03-2014, 08:10 PM   #89
K320
First Lieutenant
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: G01-X3 30i MSport

Diagram
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 12:30 PM   #90
LeoSaavedra
Colombia
Rep
Drives: BMW 430i F33

Quote:
Originally Posted by supefi77 View Post
just to let u guys know I have my backup camera installed w.o navigation; just simply a basic 328i. The whole thing costs me less than 450 bucks (DIY)

No drilling; no programing; no cutting wires. I simply laugh when people say it requires coding :-)
Where did you get it? Bimmertech? other US provider?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 01:23 AM   #91
K320
First Lieutenant
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: G01-X3 30i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoSaavedra View Post
Where did you get it? Bimmertech? other US provider?
Bimmertech
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 05:18 AM   #92
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendroz View Post
I did mine myself very easy.
Some comments:
Route the camera cable using passenger side.
Pry parts with patience.
In my case Patryk told me to turn on dip pin5.
Double check connections.
Everything works at the end.
Bimmertech is great!, thanks to all that helped me, specially Patryk, you rock men.
Thank you Kendroz!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2014, 09:14 PM   #93
1337PirateNinja
Rep
Drives: 2014 bmw 320i

Just did my retrofit from Bimmertech. Got my kit in 2 days, and that's them sending it from Poland! to AZ. I did though get an invoice from DHL after 2 weeks saying i have to pay an additional $20 in taxes.

Now on to the product..
It's fairly easy to install if you know how to connect things or if you worked with something like this before. The manual leaves much to be desired, so i had to find things myself. The directions from bimmertech include a picture that's floating around this thread (which seems for a different model although its still a good reference) along with a few pdfs on how to remove parts of the car, the rest is up to you to figure out what you need and how it all goes together. I wish it would have at least a basic written tutorial since the unit is very feature rich and you can hook up all sorts of things to it..

I was able to find a full english manual for the unit that explains things a little better here:

http://qdis.co.kr/wp-content/uploads...5_Portrait.pdf

The whole thing took 4 hours to install mainly because of guess work on what's needed to connect and what doesn't (a long with troubleshooting bad connection i had), the unit also has 2 options of connecting the back up camera to confuse you and even supports PDC.

Here is a picture of what you actually need to connect if you just want the camera working:

Name:  IMG_3339 copy.jpg
Views: 8717
Size:  144.2 KB

The dip switches dont have to be changed, unless you have a small screen in which case change 5 to on. Make sure 7 is on, that's to enable the back up camera. Other switches disable the additional video inputs (more on switches is in the manual above). Of course you can hook up things to video inputs if you want (you can have 3 composite RCA connections you can use). The IR sensor is not necessary but the kit comes with a remote and you can change a few settings (like position of guiding lines, brightness etc). The whole thing works out of the box without any tinkering or changing the settings. You can switch video sources using your idrive controller or even the 8 button on your dash (so IR sensor and remote are not really needed). But i did install the IR sensor into the glove box just in case.

Installation:
  • take off the front paneling (guide is here:
    ) and you can just pull off the front trim with your hands.
  • plug the wires as shown in diagram, and splice in the power and CAN (red, black, and CAN-low, Can-high). The kit has wire clamps which work ok for small CAN wires (some times they don't clamp in all the way in, and i ended up spending 1 hr trouble shooting it, i then clamped them in twice to make sure and that fixed the bad connection). You will probably have to splice in manually into the power wires because the power that goes into the main unit is to fat to use the clamps (or you can find other place to tap it into)
  • install the camera into the trunk, then run the wire through the passenger side (you will have to remove the pillar trims too). This whole process takes about an hour and is probably the longest part of the whole thing.
  • no need to connect power to the camera directly it will get power from the unit (even though there are 2 cryptic wires sticking out of the camera, those are not used and are there to confuse you)
  • there are also camera wires that are sticking out of the power connector that comes from the unit (REAR-C, SAFE, F-CAM-DET) don't worry about those either, since we are hooking up the camera through the CAN interface those are not used.
  • - the unit is pretty big so i was able to stash it on the left behind the power-on ignition button, you can slide it into that space from the left side after you take out your main unit (There is hole there that's just big enough for you to slide it in there). Behind the glovebox should work too, but you would have to take out the glove box.

There you go, you are all set and done!

The one problem i do have and maybe someone on here knows how to fix it (but i doubt that it's fixable without replacing the camera). Is that i have 2 parking line sets. Dynamic and Static. I would like to keep just the dynamic ones since they change with the steering wheel position. I can't however figure out a way to turn off the static ones, i think they are built into the camera itself. This sucks because i spent the extra $200 on the bimmertech kit because it was the only one with dynamic parking lines that make it look like OEM camera.. maybe it was just a mistake on their part and they sent me the wrong camera module.

Here is the picture of how it looks below so you can see what i mean.
Name:  backup camera f30 retrfoit.JPG
Views: 12125
Size:  221.4 KB

PDF manual for the unit:
QPI_BM12_MAIN_EN_130625_Portrait.pdf

Hope this helps someone else who decides to undergo this task and maybe can point out how i can remove the ugly static lines.

Last edited by 1337PirateNinja; 02-02-2014 at 09:30 PM.. Reason: add info on dip switches
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 03:22 PM   #94
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep

Thank you for your review.

You can easily remove the static lines by cutting a little wire loop on the camera cable where it plugs into the extension cable.

After that you will have just the dynamic lines:
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 12:49 AM   #95
thephantastic
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i Mineral White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrys@BimmerTech View Post

You can easily remove the static lines by cutting a little wire loop on the camera cable where it plugs into the extension cable.

I'm interested in this retrofit but have a question. There are two license plate lights that light up the plates. Am I suppose to remove on of them in order to install the camera? If so I would only have 1 light working along with the camera?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 01:00 AM   #96
thephantastic
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i Mineral White

Nm. It's integrated in the trunk hand
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 01:52 PM   #97
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thephantastic View Post
I'm interested in this retrofit but have a question. There are two license plate lights that light up the plates. Am I suppose to remove on of them in order to install the camera? If so I would only have 1 light working along with the camera?
It's integrated in the trunk handle like the OEM camera.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 01:34 PM   #98
elpee
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d xDrive MSport

Quote:
Let me clarify this.
ModMyNav is our dealer but they also carry their own products - mainly rear/front camera kits. You can ask Kris to tell you what you are getting but if you did not ask for the OEM solution then you will be getting the ModMyNav not BimmerTech kit.

On the other hand we should have a very good alternative in a few weeks.
We are working on a rear view camera retrofit kit that does not require the PDC (Nav is required) but is integrated with the iDrive like OEM camera.
It does not override the screen but uses the native camera mode in the iDrive so you can't really see a difference between our solution and the OEM one except for the dynamic parking lines and obstacle marking.
The camera is integrated in the trunk handle like OEM camera and the trunk handle is made of OEM-like material.
Finally the price will be much lower than the OEM kit.
Do you guys offer the back-up camera for cars with factory navigation but no PDC yet?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 03:54 PM   #99
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpee View Post
Do you guys offer the back-up camera for cars with factory navigation but no PDC yet?
Yes, this one:

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 09:49 PM   #100
1337PirateNinja
Rep
Drives: 2014 bmw 320i

Thanks to bimmertech for amazing support! My camera was bad (my extra static lines would not go away). Patryk spent a lot of time troubleshooting and helping me and ended up sending me a replacement camera. Highly recommend Bimmertech just based on support alone!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 01:16 AM   #101
lovnblack
Rep
Drives: F33 435i

Patrys???Are you there :) ?

Hi Partryk, I also send an email you on 27/03/2014 (from:lovnblack-plz check your inbox) and still waiting for your respond, I really need your support for complete my retrofits and then I will request coding service, plz...

Quote:
Please email us your VIN at info@bimmer-tech.net and we'll send you a quote.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 01:18 AM   #102
lovnblack
Rep

dynamic line is possible on E92?

I found a multimedia interface for camera retrofits, and the manufacturer says dynamic guide lines is possible for my E92 335i too, because my CIC system 4pins newer version, is it possible Patryk? (with PDC of course)

Quote:
Yes, this one:

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 08:27 AM   #103
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovnblack View Post
Hi Partryk, I also send an email you on 27/03/2014 (from:lovnblack-plz check your inbox) and still waiting for your respond, I really need your support for complete my retrofits and then I will request coding service, plz...
Patryk may be out of town. He will get back with you. Very reliable guy.
      03-04-2014, 03:37 AM   #104
lovnblack
Rep

No Patryk is in town and respond, he do not help/give support if I dont buy the kits from him

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Patryk may be out of town. He will get back with you. Very reliable guy.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 10:00 AM   #105
makonto
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:

How come i dont hear the warning sound coming from the PDC as it gets closer to the end ?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 04:05 PM   #106
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makonto View Post
How come i dont hear the warning sound coming from the PDC as it gets closer to the end ?
The car in the video does not have the PDC
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 10:38 PM   #107
ASV731
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 328i Sport Line

Is there any way to retrofit a backup camera that works with the 6.5" iDrive screen? I don't have nav or any PDC, and I regret not ordering the backup camera as an option.
black grills, Scorpian King 35%, Carbon fiber wrapped interior, Weisslicht LED turnsignals, Rocksford Fosgate 12" Powered Subwoofer, 19" AG M359 in Satin Black wrapped with 245/40R19 Hankook Ventus V12
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 07:41 PM   #108
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASV731 View Post
Is there any way to retrofit a backup camera that works with the 6.5" iDrive screen? I don't have nav or any PDC, and I regret not ordering the backup camera as an option.
Sure. Here you go:
http://www.bimmer-tech.net/shop/bmw-...amera-retrofit
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 10:23 PM   #109
DCxBimmer
Rep
Drives: xDrive 35d

E70

Quote:
Yes, this one:

Will this work on a 2010 E70 with Nav and no PDC?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2014, 03:53 PM   #110
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCxBimmer View Post
Will this work on a 2010 E70 with Nav and no PDC?
We have a different camera for your car with dynamic parking lines.
http://www.bimmer-tech.net/shop/bmw-...em-integration
Appreciate 0