F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > A few questions regarding iDrive/Nav
proTUNING Freaks

11-30-2012, 08:05 AM   #1
LollerAgent
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line

A few questions regarding iDrive/Nav

I know these have probably been answered here, but I can't seem to turn up any answers with the search. Anyhow, I just got my new F30 335i, and I have a couple of questions regarding iDrive:

1. I can enable Split Screen, but the only data that I can seem to get to appear on the "split" part of the screen is Fuel consumption, etc. Is it possible to get Entertainment/Music information displayed in this area?

2. I signed up for BMW Assist, and downloaded the "My BMW Remote" application on my iPhone 5. The app is asking for my ConnectedDrive portal username and password, but I can not for the life of me figure out where to signup/register for this service. Can anyone point me in the right direction, please? I'm assuming this application will allow me to send Google Maps destinations directly to my car from my phone.

3. In order to use BMW Apps (Pandora, Twitter, etc), my phone needs to be cabled to the armrest USB jack, correct?

Thanks!
      11-30-2012, 09:31 AM   #2
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

1. Yes. With the split screen shown, move the i-drive knob to the right and then click. A menu will come up with the different screens available.

2. Your CA should have setup your assist information. If he/she did not, then call them and make sure you have a user name (e-mail address) and password. Then make an assist call via the SOS button to verify you connection, username, and password. Once you are all setup, you use the user/password in the remote app to get connected.

3. I think it should work over bluetooth, but I don't know for sure as I don't have BMW Apps; just NAV and Assist.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 09:36 AM   #3
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

To use BMW Apps, you must be plugged into the center console USB.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 10:20 AM   #4
Lakers0824
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW 328i M-Sport

Just click to the right wherever you are on the screen then it should say split screen content, and from there u could choose from a lot of things to put on split screen, including entertainment info. I know pandora can be used via Bluetooth. And BMW assist will setup your account via the SOS call you'll make once they input you in the system. I know my dealer told me my password would be my last name. They should have told you what your password was, cuz you'll verify your password when you make the SOS call. At least that's what I had to do, brand new owner as well!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 12:12 PM   #5
LollerAgent
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks.. got it working.

Still having trouble with Bluetooth Audio though. When I enable BT Audio, and select the BMW as my playback device on the iPhone, the iPhone appears to be playing the song, but no audio is transmitted to the BMW. Anyone else using BT audio?

Thanks!
      11-30-2012, 12:51 PM   #6
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaird View Post
Thanks.. got it working.

Still having trouble with Bluetooth Audio though. When I enable BT Audio, and select the BMW as my playback device on the iPhone, the iPhone appears to be playing the song, but no audio is transmitted to the BMW. Anyone else using BT audio?

Thanks!
I use BT audio all the time. It works great!

Make sure BT audio is enabled for your phone in i-Drive. It's a bit tricky to get to the configuration page in the car. You need to make sure that the car is configured to receive BT audio from your phone.

Make sure the sound isn't turned off on the car (speaker with slash through it on the display). Also, I find that the volume is sometimes turned way down on BT audio, try turning the volume up on the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 07:34 PM   #7
john08135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M Sport, 2010 bmw S1000RR

Also you cant use BT and usb on the same device at the same time..its stupid..but i can on my windows8 phone.
      11-30-2012, 10:01 PM   #8
RyanCT
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 335i

Yes, you cannot have the phone plugged in to USB when using BT. Secondly, this y-cable business is ridiculous.
      11-30-2012, 10:14 PM   #9
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by john08135i View Post
Also you cant use BT and usb on the same device at the same time..its stupid..but i can on my windows8 phone.
You mean BT for audio, or BT for phone, at the same time you're plugged into USB for charging?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 09:07 AM   #10
LollerAgent
Enlisted Member
Rep

Found something odd with the Split screen and was wondering if anyone else has seen this.

I currently have split screen set to Music/Entertainment and it displays the song/artist that my iPod (via USB) is playing. Sometimes, it fails to update. So, when a new song starts, the Split screen still displays the previous song. It never changes.

Has anyone seen this? It only happens sometimes.
      12-02-2012, 09:25 AM   #11
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaird
I know these have probably been answered here, but I can't seem to turn up any answers with the search. Anyhow, I just got my new F30 335i, and I have a couple of questions regarding iDrive:

1. I can enable Split Screen, but the only data that I can seem to get to appear on the "split" part of the screen is Fuel consumption, etc. Is it possible to get Entertainment/Music information displayed in this area?

2. I signed up for BMW Assist, and downloaded the "My BMW Remote" application on my iPhone 5. The app is asking for my ConnectedDrive portal username and password, but I can not for the life of me figure out where to signup/register for this service. Can anyone point me in the right direction, please? I'm assuming this application will allow me to send Google Maps destinations directly to my car from my phone.

3. In order to use BMW Apps (Pandora, Twitter, etc), my phone needs to be cabled to the armrest USB jack, correct?

Thanks!
Keep scrolling down and entertainment info is like the last selection.

I use BT audio exclusively, works great with my iPhone4s...

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 09:27 AM   #12
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaird
Found something odd with the Split screen and was wondering if anyone else has seen this.

I currently have split screen set to Music/Entertainment and it displays the song/artist that my iPod (via USB) is playing. Sometimes, it fails to update. So, when a new song starts, the Split screen still displays the previous song. It never changes.

Has anyone seen this? It only happens sometimes.
Yup, that's why I stopped using the USB..only does it for me on pandora though.

So I just use the enhanced BT for audio...USB is hooked up to a beater iPod whenever I want to listen to my personal music.

BT audio for Pandora.

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 10:31 AM   #13
LollerAgent
Enlisted Member
Rep

Argh, I still cannot get BT audio to work. I select it as a source on my iPhone, enable BT audio on the iDrive, but no sound.
      12-02-2012, 11:05 AM   #14
Kankles
Rear Admiral
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bavarian Milk Wagon

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
I can stream BT audio, BT phone calls, etc while phone is plugged into center console USB hub...android phone.
Appreciate 0