F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Another ATS Review
proTUNING Freaks

12-28-2012, 08:07 AM   #199
CHCCubs
Colonel
Latvia
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reznick View Post
Well, it comforting to know I wasn't the only one to stick my neck out about the ATS. I understand people being brand loyal but to completely dismiss something without experiencing it first seems foolish to me .Like You I've had BMW's in my stable for a long time , but there have been a lot of muscle cars along the way and I currently have a CTS 3.6 sitting next to my M3. In another year or so I can see the CTS being replaced with the ATS.I drove it. It was that good. Its in its 1st year. Its only gonna get better
I totally agree with you. While I ended up getting an F30, I did test drive a few other competitive vehicles one of which was the ATS 2.0t and 3.6. Overall I felt the ATS was the closest to the F30 in terms of performance, handling, etc. For me the interior layout wasn't really my cup of tea, and the performance of the 2.0t didn't seem as quick as it's numbers suggest. Other than those issues, I think the ATS is a great first effort for Cadillac, and I'll be interested to see what the next generation is like when the time comes.

2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport Line
Mineral Grey on Everest Grey
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 09:10 AM   #200
Boosted John
Internet Ninja
Rep
Drives: 13 AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtyme5 View Post
This is funny. Can you find one review that says anything about the interior being cheap or looking cheap? I've driven a 3.6L ATS, and the interior is anything but cheap. It's much nicer than the BMW and I think most people would agree (BMW fan or not). Say what you want about CUE, as people will either like it or not, but at least it's more interesting than sticking half an IPad into the dash without the ability to have it go down lol. I question whether you really sat in it at all.......

As someone who is currently shopping around, I'd rank the interiors like this:

1) Audi A4/A5
2) ATS
3) Mercedes C Class
4) BMW 3 Series

That's not to say any of the interiors are "bad" or poorly done. But the Audi has to be the nicest overall. The ATS is the most daring, interesting and technologically advanced (the stuff CUE does is pretty incredible). All the C has going for it is the interior. And the 3 series is just plain dull. That's how I see it.
actually the CUE system got the worst reviews by car & driver whereas the idrive actually got the best system nod from them. also the touch screen ergonomics suck. too far of a inconvenient reach while you are driving to select stuff via CUE. I also think the system is quite slow myself.

I'm sure the ATS is a fine car and I am all for better competition because it just raises the bar for all manufacturers. Hopefully it will force BMW ot stop up a little on the LCI or next gen to truly make it the dominant car in it's segment like it always has been.

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 08:14 AM   #201
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisitalia View Post
I am late to this party, but I am pretty shocked at all the silliness in this thread. I am a fairly staunch German car guy, but with an open mind. I have been a PCA member for 18 years and a BMWCCA member for 15 years. My two favorite cars, but I did sway with a Lotus Elise and to the other end with a Corvette Z06. So I have fairly diverse interests. I have been a club instructor for high performance driver events for numerous car clubs. So I do know a little about driving cars on race tracks and the street. But I will say the Cadillac ATS is the real deal and that scares some of the snobs posting here. They are simply in denial and don’t even know it.

I was sheeply going to get a new F30, but saw the new ATS and with open mind tested a few and even scared a couple salesman on test drives. I now am the proud owner of a 2013 ATS Premium 3.6l V6. Items that drew me to the ATS that the F30 did not have were: magnetic ride suspension, a real LSD, much better simple but elegant interior, the CUE (by the way works great) and Brembo brakes. The NA V6 is a gem and the AT and suspension in sport (manual shift) mode is an aggressive great handling car. It’s like having two different cars in one.

In summary, I vote to nominate boltjames as the BMW poster boy on why some people think BMW drivers are all “dick heads”. His attitude clearly sends the wrong message of most of BMW enthusiasts and perpetuates the “snob elitist” attitude.
Cisitalia based on your review above, I've been seriously considering an ATS with the 3.6 and the auto. My previous consideration was to get the 2.0T and manual, but while I've never owned a automatic tranmissioned car in my 30+ years of driving, I'm not convinced of owning a gas turbo engine for high milage applications, meaning ownership over 200,000 miles, is a good economocal choice if the repair bills are high.

Being that Cadillac will probably not mate the manual trans with the 3.6 (not sure why since the CTS came that way originally), it looks like to get the NA 3.6 V6 I have to accept the auto. Based on your creds, and it's been a few months now that you've been driving the ATS, how do you still like the ATS with the auto?

I'm just about to go and test drive both the 3.6 and 2.0T (MT). Thanks in advance for your reply.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 03:03 PM   #202
batislav
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sportline

For those people on here interested in the ATS, I saw this write up on the manual 2.0 today.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/02/06/2...mium-2-0t-6mt/
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 03:17 PM   #203
bimmermeupscoty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i Mineral Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by batislav View Post
For those people on here interested in the ATS, I saw this write up on the manual 2.0 today.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/02/06/2...mium-2-0t-6mt/
Link does not seem to work
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 03:41 PM   #204
JohnVidale
Seismoguy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328ix Mojave/Venetian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmermeupscoty View Post
Link does not seem to work
Worked for me just now.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 03:00 PM   #205
Cisitalia
No fast lane bandits allowed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i TiAg 6mt M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Based on your creds, and it's been a few months now that you've been driving the ATS, how do you still like the ATS with the auto?
I would say that I am still happy with the drive train setup. I have always had manual transmission sporty cars (not counting Jeeps, suvs etc.) all my life, so I was a little worried about making a mistake. But I must say I am content with what I have, especially since I have to commute in traffic. Constant clutch in clutch out can get tiresome. That said, to realize true potential in the ATS, sport mode really makes a big difference and using manual shift helps to (paddles or shifter work fine). I never gripped about six speed manual gears, so I don't see any problems with the auto -6 speed either. Although others will tell the merits of an 8-spd, I don't see the need. Lots of shifting going on all the time with the 8-spd. But I guess you can't ignore the apparent slightly better gas mileage.

So go check it out and let us know what you think. I think the drive train setup is fine the way it is. Sometimes I miss my N54 low end torque, but it won't rev much. But the 3.6 V6 in the ATS revs nicely with some great sounds that the N54 did not have.

OBTW, this car is a great handling car, better than most BMWs that I have driven in awhile (non-M). I just can’t believe how composed it is and inspires lots of confidence. I guess the magnetic ride suspension and mechanical LSD helps a lot.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 03:12 PM   #206
tuned2ride
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90, S5 SB, looking for a M340

Cisitalia did you measure your mpg? I understand that you are in a lot of traffic.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 03:32 PM   #207
Cisitalia
No fast lane bandits allowed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i TiAg 6mt M-Sport

I get exactly the same mileage as my 135i; 16 mpg overall. I am either in bad traffic or when clear roads my foot is clearly planted WOT. I have not had any long drives yet. But I have seen short times of mid 20s or so. Again just like my 135i. The 135i long drives I did see 26 mpg, which this ATS should see. But then I drive hwy hard too. Getting good gas mileage the way I drive has never been a strong suit of mine.

Another data point is when I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee with the hemi engine. I got 10 mpg! So I feel terrific with 16 mpg.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 06:05 PM   #208
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

F30 N55 engine seems to be averaging 3-4MPG better than the N54 in an E9x. At least that has been my experience over the first 1200 miles in my F30 (traveling pretty much same routes as I did in my 2010 E90 N54). I'm getting 21.5MPG driving mostly city in Comfort mode. Sometimes switch to Sport/Sport+ and even used Eco Pro a few times.

That said, my parents leased (great deal I must say) a Caddy XTS Premium with 20" rims (nice one's too) and that monster XTS sunroof. Car rides great and has impressive handling. Cue is OK (at best) but we received notification that a "big" software upgrade will be available first week March. Overall, very impressive for a Caddy and an American car. If the Americans keep it up, there's no telling what the future may hold...
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 08:08 PM   #209
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisitalia View Post
I would say that I am still happy with the drive train setup. I have always had manual transmission sporty cars (not counting Jeeps, suvs etc.) all my life, so I was a little worried about making a mistake. But I must say I am content with what I have, especially since I have to commute in traffic. Constant clutch in clutch out can get tiresome. That said, to realize true potential in the ATS, sport mode really makes a big difference and using manual shift helps to (paddles or shifter work fine). I never gripped about six speed manual gears, so I don't see any problems with the auto -6 speed either. Although others will tell the merits of an 8-spd, I don't see the need. Lots of shifting going on all the time with the 8-spd. But I guess you can't ignore the apparent slightly better gas mileage.

So go check it out and let us know what you think. I think the drive train setup is fine the way it is. Sometimes I miss my N54 low end torque, but it won't rev much. But the 3.6 V6 in the ATS revs nicely with some great sounds that the N54 did not have.

OBTW, this car is a great handling car, better than most BMWs that I have driven in awhile (non-M). I just can’t believe how composed it is and inspires lots of confidence. I guess the magnetic ride suspension and mechanical LSD helps a lot.
Thanks for the reply. I intend to check the ATS in both 3.6 and 2.0T MT guise. I'll report in.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 08:35 PM   #210
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Thanks for the reply. I intend to check the ATS in both 3.6 and 2.0T MT guise. I'll report in.
FYI Caddy ATS/XTS is getting a new 8 spd tranny during 2014. New CTS will likely get the 8 spd tranny from day 1. This will help economy. GM still has work to do with the V6 to modernize.
Appreciate 0