F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Ecopro coasting uses more fuel?
Extreme Powerhouse

10-02-2014, 08:32 AM   #1
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
Ecopro coasting uses more fuel?

I know the cars instantaneous fuel consumption readout is not the most accurate but I noticed the following:

- coasting in Eco pro , consumption would read 0.6-1.6 L / 100km

- coasting in any other mode, consumption reads 0.0

I know 0.0 is not possible unless your engine is off but would have thought that the figures would be other way around?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 09:03 AM   #2
Tim@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2022 X4 M Competition F98 LCI

Garage List
EcoPro Coasting puts the engine into neutral. Therefore it has less resistance from the drivetrain and it frees the car from slowing down due to the engine. So the engine is running in neutral, of course it'll use some small amount of fuel.

Coasting without the EcoPro Coasting/Sailing feature on, the car is still in drive. Therefore it still has drivetrain resistance and the engine will provide engine breaking. So effectively it is moving the energy from the wheels to the engine rather than let the engine run independently.

Least those are the concepts. Might not have explained it 100% clearly.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 09:43 AM   #3
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
I have tried to utilize this coasting feature, but have found the same results as you have, that it doesn't seem to help gas mileage at all. I also don't like the delay in returning the transmission to the proper setting.

I find it doesn't really help, and just puts me in fear of not being in full control when I need to be.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 03:21 AM   #4
maverick83
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 M135i

Hi guys,

So here is my thoughts. I tend to use ecopro mode quite alot due to the continious stop start traffic I experience on a daily basis. I agree with the comments made about the engine still using fuel due to the fact that only the transmission is decoupled from the engine, however, the coasting mode allows the vehicle to "free wheel" further than you would have done so in normal coasting with the transmission in gear.

If you plan ahead and find sweet spots on where to start coasting you can travel long distances (at least on my route) without touching the accelerator or brakes. I have found that I most definitely seem save fuel.

I must say that at least one thing I find irritating, is when you have to lift off on the throttle because the person in front of you cannot drive at a constant speed, just to touch the accelerator again, and it has to engage gear. I can find the quick disenaging of the transmission a bit of a pain, but must complement BMW on the extremely smooth coupling and decoupling associated with this.

If it becomes too much for me, I will just go to Comfort - problem eliminated...

All-in-all, I like it, it adds a bit of engagement while driving to tey and find those sweet spots and see how far I can go without using the accelerator, weird as it may seem, but I had a F30 320i Manual before my auto, and I never thought of depressing the clutch pedal to get the same effect, maybe its the added work of trying to now rev match to engage the gear smoothly that deterred me from coasting, at least the auto does what is required of it, make your life easier.... ;-)
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 07:36 PM   #5
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
I understand the concept but would have thought being in gear would use up more fuel?

I sometimes play around with the coasting feature and see how far I can go without touching the accelerator. Nice to see the low coefficient of drag coming into play here as the car rolls quite a fair distance when coasting.
Appreciate 0