F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Premiere of the New BMW Navigation Professional and ConnectedDrive
Extreme Powerhouse

07-10-2012, 12:40 PM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Post Premiere of the New BMW Navigation Professional and ConnectedDrive

BIMMERPOST NEWS
Premiere of the New BMW Navigation Professional and ConnectedDrive
COMMENTS
Name:  bmwconnected.jpg
Views: 55402
Size:  71.4 KB

BMW ConnectedDrive has been setting the pace in the field of automotive connectivity for many years now, and is renowned for forward-looking in-car concepts and technologies that maximise customer benefit. The new functions mark another milestone in the BMW ConnectedDrive success story and once again demonstrate how the BMW Group is striving to retain its status as the leading innovator in this area.
• The new generation of the BMW Navigation system Professional boasts more powerful and impressive performance than ever, featuring a design rendered entirely in 3D, a modified display and control concept as well as a host of extra Navigation, Office and Multimedia functions. [See complete rollout schedule for all BMW models]
Dictation function with full speech recognition system: for the first time, the driver is able to compose short texts for emails and SMS messages while driving by simply dictating them. Meanwhile, the function for recording voice memos then sending them by email ensures that any flashes of inspiration at the wheel can be instantly preserved. [Full Details]
BMW iDrive Touch Controller: following the addition of a multi-touch touchpad, not only does the Controller allow characters to be entered with the finger, it lets drivers navigate in maps and websites or magnify them. [Full Details]
• Product debut: the BMW LTE Car Hotspot ushers in the next generation of mobile internet. This particular accessory makes the BMW Group the first car manufacturer to bring the ultimate in high-speed mobile internet to the road – and, what’s more, for every BMW. [Full Details]
• Integration of smartphone applications from third parties: the BMW Group’s Software Development Kit (SDK) facilitates the integration of third-party apps into the vehicle’s native control and display logic, allowing drivers to use their favourite apps in their car, too. [Full Details]

BIMMERPOST Staff Annotation:

The list of hardware upgrades (vs. the current) which will power these upgrades include:
  • Intel processor 1.3Ghz vs Renesas 600Mhz
  • 1GB RAM (vs 512Mb)
  • 8GB flash (vs 512Mb)
  • Nvidia graphics (vs Fujitsu)
  • 200GB hard drive (vs 80Gb)

Below is the rollout schedule for the new navigation and iDrive. These dates do not apply to the new iDrive Touch system, which will have a separate rollout and application schedule.

It was back in 1994 that BMW became the first carmaker to offer a built-in navigation system when it made such a system available for the BMW 7 Series. The functionality of navigation systems from the BMW Group has increased enormously since that time, so that route guidance is now just one of a whole array of functions designed to interconnect driver, vehicle and the outside world as intelligently as possible. The new generation of the Navigation system Professional is yet another milestone achievement for the BMW Group.

The new-generation BMW Navigation system Professional instantly makes a winning impression, boasting a new design and an optimised control concept that give its various displays an even more sophisticated, even sharper, even more attractive look. The readouts appear against a black background in a very reduced layout, and the state-of-the-art feel is further intensified by an atmospheric lighting effect. Overall, the new display concept makes the contents even clearer to read and the functions even easier to use. For the first time, the individual menus are structured entirely in virtual, three-dimensional spaces and calculation is performed in real time. Quite apart from allowing smooth scrolling and browsing, the high-performance system with a 1.3 GHz processor and dedicated 3D graphics chip features top-quality animations and dynamic transitions to make the whole operating experience an immensely enjoyable one.

The previous system’s proven menu navigation has been deliberately retained for the new generation of the BMW Navigation system Professional, while new functions have been added to enhance the system’s capabilities and enrich the customer experience. For instance, a new spatial dimension has been added to the way in which the menu levels are displayed: when
sub-menus are selected, they appear dynamically from the right, while the corresponding top menus fade into the background on the left, where they are still visible. In this way, the tactile feedback for the user is accompanied by a direct visual confirmation of their interaction with the vehicle, which furthermore allows them to clearly see their current position within the menu structure on the display.

Besides the new menu display, the route guidance graphics and the map views within the navigation function have also been modified and improved by the addition of various interactive options. The split-screen portion of the central information display, for example, now includes new display functions for the navigation mode. While the driver is still entering the destination by selecting the country, city and street, the chosen destination additionally appears in the map view on the split screen for easier orientation. If necessary, the driver can use a zoom function to change the section of map shown and check that the selected destination is the intended one.

High Guiding and 3D City Models.

For the purposes of actual route guidance, the familiar guiding function using arrows in the split screen has now been supplemented by a High Guiding variant, which clearly flashes up detailed navigation information in the multifunctional instrument cluster display, the central information display as well as the Head-Up Display. High Guiding is automatically activated when the vehicle comes within a certain range of the next navigation instruction: from a distance of 300 metres outside built-up areas and 150 metres in built-up areas, the reduced arrow display switches to a detailed bird’s-eye perspective of the surrounding area. The driver furthermore receives precise directions for changing lane at the right time. As the driver draws closer to the event, the display gradually shifts from the bird’s-eye map view to an overhead view of the traffic situation for optimum orientation and guidance. A dynamic display of the vehicle’s present position calculated in real time serves as an aid that allows drivers to closely track their progress throughout the turn-off phase.

The new navigation view option “3D City Models” features a realistic depiction of surrounding streets and buildings to help drivers get their bearings, provided such a visualisation of the city in question is stored in the vehicle’s database.

The extended toolbar – putting extra functions at the driver’s fingertips.

In navigation mode, there is now an extended toolbar that, for the first time, allows the map contents to be customised quickly and easily without having to exit from the map view. The desired change takes effect immediately, and the driver is able to effortlessly switch the view to suit the current situation and the information required. The moment the driver selects the icon for the extended toolbar with the iDrive Controller, a second toolbar appears as an extension of the original icon bar. This can then be used to open additional selection options in the same view, which were previously only accessible via Option menus. The settings here allow the user to call up Real-Time Traffic Information (RTTI) or weather information, for instance, to display POIs, or quickly switch from the overhead map view to the bird’s-eye view. Depending on the data required, drivers are therefore able to activate individual features, quickly find the necessary information, and then return to their preferred map view.

Interactive map and PIE menu.

The new BMW Navigation system Professional also adds several new functions to the interactive map view. The iDrive Controller can now be simply turned to alter the map scale or tilted to move the section of map in the display, even in a diagonal direction. Another new feature of the interactive map view is the ability to call up special functions directly from the map itself. All the driver has to do is select a point on the interactive map and the PIE menu will open up in front of the map, providing quick and easy access to a wide range of actions. Depending on the information stored, the driver just has to click to show points of interest in the vicinity, view details for them (where available), start navigation to them, change the map view or display the current location or destination. And should any additional data be available for the selected location, such as a telephone number, website details or an email address, the driver can retrieve this information with a click too, then visit the homepage, for example, or write an email. The real beauty here lies in the system’s straightforward, intuitive and quick operation.

RTTI – Real Time Traffic Information.

The latest generation of the BMW Navigation system Professional once again employs RTTI technology for calculating routes and diversions accurately and reliably by factoring in the real-time traffic situation for both route guidance and calculation of the arrival time. By using the 3G mobile network and the vehicle’s built-in SIM card, RTTI offers the benefit of faster data transmission combined with more extensive coverage. What’s more, the new system extends beyond motorways and major highways to cover country roads and even a large number of urban routes as well.

The arrival of the new BMW Navigation system Professional also sees new functions being added to the BMW ConnectedDrive Mobile Office portfolio. It is now possible to have two telephones connected to the vehicle simultaneously, in which case the contact details from both are combined into a joint contact list for phone calls and emails. Calendar and contact information is imported in next to no time thanks to the high-performance hardware, meaning that both telephones are fully readied for in-vehicle use as quickly as possible.

The calendar from an integrated smartphone is now displayed in an enhanced, new-look format. Appointments are visualised in the same way as in popular email programs, while the daily view and calendar navigation have been further simplified, too.

On the multimedia front, a 20 GB hard drive makes for a far richer in-car entertainment experience. Meanwhile, the Music collection search function has been reprogrammed to allow the desired track to be located for playback even faster than before. The extended toolbar principle is once again employed for fast access to additional sub-menu options, as well as even greater simplicity and ease of operation.

New playback functions have been added for a more pleasurable entertainment experience. If the driver likes the song that’s currently playing, for instance, and would like to hear more of the same, simply activating the new “More like this” function generates a new playlist containing similar tracks from the Music collection. The facility for saving favourites in the Music collection by clicking on the “Add to favourites” star icon during playback is another new feature. All favourite tracks can then be found together by going to the Playlists menu item.

Radio+: seeing what you’re hearing.

For the first time, FM radio programmes are accompanied by graphics in the central information display’s player screen, just like digital radio. Where
FM radio stations broadcast the necessary data (via radio text or radio text+), the artist, album and genre cover will now be visualised in the same way as they are when listening to DAB radio or using a top-of-the-range device. And even if no data is transmitted by the station, a generic genre cover and the station name will be displayed for a neat, high-quality effect.

BMW Online widgets.

Besides the online functions, widgets can be displayed in split-screen mode. These miniature versions of the BMW Online browser apps have been optimised for the split screen, and blend harmoniously into the high-quality display of the remaining contents. It is initially planned to include a clock as well as a Panoramio widget, with further widgets set to follow.

Video: Startup Screen

Video: Introduction to new BMW Navigation Professional and iDrive/ConnectedDrive

BMW ConnectedDrive, New generation Navigation system Professional, Navigation

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 01:22 PM   #2
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
And this will be available when and on what vehicles?!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 01:22 PM   #3
dibxna
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 MW F82 M4

schwing schwing!!
*56' ford f-100 truck :: NSX blue :: lowered :: custom interior :: custom audio :: colorado custom wheels*
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 01:24 PM   #4
amirz1000
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dibxna View Post
schwing schwing!!
Classic!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 01:28 PM   #5
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAMidge
+1 Can I update my F30 software yet?!

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
On Order: 2015 Audi A6 Avant Ultra, Black Edition (sorry!)
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 01:29 PM   #6
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAMidge View Post
This will be available as of July 2012 production for the F01 7 Series LCI, the F10 and F11 5 Series, the F31 3 Series Touring and the F30 Active Hybrid 3. F30 328i and 335i will follow as of November 2012 production.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 01:39 PM   #7
Nick45
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6, 2016 x5m,2019 m5

Will this be available for 2013 f12/13?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 01:41 PM   #8
jhbodle
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Do you know when the F20 model gets it?
      07-10-2012, 01:43 PM   #9
WallieX5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Jahre IB G80

I wonder if one will be able to update pre-July firmware/software to the post-July build firmware/software in the F10?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 01:55 PM   #10
ThreeTwentyEightI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW right now :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
F30 328i and 335i will follow as of November 2012 production.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 01:55 PM   #11
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallieX5 View Post
I wonder if one will be able to update pre-July firmware/software to the post-July build firmware/software in the F10?
This is a hardware upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 01:57 PM   #12
southlight
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddham6 View Post
EDIT: Per this thread, the new Nav will be available for the F12 and F13 as of March 2013 production.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhbodle View Post
Likely next year.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 02:02 PM   #13
arnsbrae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d

Quote:
This will be available as of July 2012 production for the F01 7 Series LCI, the F10 and F11 5 Series, the F31 3 Series Touring and the F30 Active Hybrid 3. F30 328i and 335i will follow as of November 2012 production.

Best regards,
south
To add to that;

The new touchpad controller debuts in China from July build. An understandable decision as it greatly facilitates entry of Chinese characters. ROW will see this a year later.

LTE hotspot arrives in November for all of us as it comes in the form of a snap-in accessory.

It's all very impressive. BMW seems to be leveraging the increased processing power of the new professional navigation system very well.
      07-10-2012, 02:05 PM   #14
Teemo Panda
*Bimmerpost Plasti Dip Guru*
United_States
Rep
Drives: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3

Garage List
2013 BMW X3  [5.66]
i wonder how much will it cost to upgrade from my before july production MY 2013 to the next gen nav?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 02:12 PM   #15
danarcher
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i F30, 1984 325e E30

Garage List
1984 BMW 325e  [0.00]
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Anyone have any experience maybe cloning the internal hard drive from a newer model? I'm wondering if the new system will have the firmware necessary to support older models.

Sidenote: is the internal hard drive user accessible so that I can try this?
      07-10-2012, 02:17 PM   #16
Nick45
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight
Quote:
Not as of July production but I assume it will be available as of November production.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhbodle View Post
Likely next year.

Best regards,
south
I have a semptember production.. would I be able to update the navi to get all those features?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 02:21 PM   #17
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemo Panda View Post
i wonder how much will it cost to upgrade from my before july production MY 2013 to the next gen nav?
Quote:
Originally Posted by danarcher View Post
Anyone have any experience maybe cloning the internal hard drive from a newer model? I'm wondering if the new system will have the firmware necessary to support older models.

Sidenote: is the internal hard drive user accessible so that I can try this?
Seriously guys. There is no way this would be an easy upgrade. See those folks that took a pre-2009 CCC system and upgraded to CIC version? That's what this will take. In other words, you're talking about ripping apart the entire dash and replacing $2K+ worth of hardware, and that could be years down the road.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 02:29 PM   #18
Karazy
Go Fast And Take Chances
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Very cool! I'm glad to see in the pic's the nav screen not looking like the "stabbed in I Pad" look on the current 3's.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 02:40 PM   #19
tonmonde
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F22

bummer my ordered f30 is a september production
      07-10-2012, 02:45 PM   #20
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i/2020 R8 V10 Spyder

Quote:

Best regards,
south
does this affect the F10 M5 as well?
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Spyder 6MT - Ascari Blue/Black
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 03:01 PM   #21
southlight
Rep

Quote:
I have a semptember production.. would I be able to update the navi to get all those features?
If/when possible, that will be a fairly tough and expensive update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlammedM6 View Post
does this affect the F10 M5 as well?
Yes, F10 M5 will get new Nav as of July production as well.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 03:20 PM   #22
Nick45
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

i dont see how the m5 will get it and not the m6 for july production.. the picture below shows the f12 m6 has the navigation professional
Attached Images

Appreciate 0