F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Upgraded Halogen lights w/ Pics
Extreme Powerhouse

11-26-2012, 11:54 PM   #1
TsunamiFury
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 50i, Porsche Taycan 4S+

Upgraded Halogen lights w/ Pics

After taking delivery of my F30 328i, I was disappointed to see that BMW had provided some very yellow and rather dim lights as stock. While I already immediately regretted not getting Xenons, the crappy lights just added insult to injury. Paying so much to see BMW squander the details made me frown a bit -- it just seemed cheap.

So I decided to 'upgrade' the Halogens with the latest Sylviana's latest gimmick, the zXe's. While most people would call these a bit silly and overpriced I found them to be a substantial upgrade to the junk bulbs included with my 328i.

Note: Installing them was a far more of a hassle than it should have been. BMW's access panel to the headlights is covered in sharp edges and I cut my hand in multiple places while changing the bulbs. Its also nearly impossible to pry bulbs out and install new ones w/o substantially bending the metal clasps. Another cheap move by BMW.

Anyways the lights are pretty cool and as you can see in the attached picture are a perfectly white/blue light. The only problem now is the silly parking lights and DRL are of a substantially different color temp. Any suggestions on how best to replace that goofy parking light? I assume the DRL is no go as well. Guess i'll have to live with two color temps.

Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 11:13 AM   #2
NiceNotRiceBMW
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 Mineral Grey Sport 328i

Ahhh, I had the same exact problem and disappointment when I received my car. Anyways, my solution to the problem was to first, instal HIDs in the low beams(which was a substantial improvement) then after that I put in LED bulbs in the foglights and in the parking lights to match the color temp. Looks great. Unfortunately I'm new to the forum, and don't know how to post pics. I can post some as soon as I figure it out.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 01:19 PM   #3
T_flare
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

how did u get access to the light, it seems the engine is in the way of it. Did you have to take out the headlight?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 02:35 PM   #4
TsunamiFury
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceNotRiceBMW View Post
Ahhh, I had the same exact problem and disappointment when I received my car. Anyways, my solution to the problem was to first, instal HIDs in the low beams(which was a substantial improvement) then after that I put in LED bulbs in the foglights and in the parking lights to match the color temp. Looks great. Unfortunately I'm new to the forum, and don't know how to post pics. I can post some as soon as I figure it out.
Where oh where did you get LED's for the parking lights?! Mind sharing a link so I can order them ASAP?

Also in order to post an image, upload it to flicker and then get the image URL and paste it in to the box that pops up when you hit the image button in the editor screen. (looks like a mountain and a sun).
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 02:35 PM   #5
TsunamiFury
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_flare View Post
how did u get access to the light, it seems the engine is in the way of it. Did you have to take out the headlight?
There is a panel in the wheel well that pulls away and a screw away cap. Its a REAL pain.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 07:26 AM   #6
NiceNotRiceBMW
Private
Rep

Where oh where did you get LED's for the parking lights?! Mind sharing a link so I can order them ASAP?

Also in order to post an image, upload it to flicker and then get the image URL and paste it in to the box that pops up when you hit the image button in the editor screen. (looks like a mountain and a sun).[/QUOTE]

Pm sent about the parking lights! And thanks, I will upload some pics later today. Will also get some night pics so you can see how it looks
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 07:28 AM   #7
NiceNotRiceBMW
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_flare

I jacked up my car and took the front tires off. There are panels that you have to "pop off" in order to access the low beam bulbs. The foglights require even more work lol. This was not fun
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 02:15 AM   #8
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceNotRiceBMW
Quote:

I jacked up my car and took the front tires off. There are panels that you have to "pop off" in order to access the low beam bulbs. The foglights require even more work lol. This was not fun
The fog lights are just in front of the wheel well splash guard. I chamged my fogs in 2 minutes. With pdc sensors all pver the place.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 09:33 AM   #9
NiceNotRiceBMW
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceNotRiceBMW
Quote:

The fog lights are just in front of the wheel well splash guard. I chamged my fogs in 2 minutes. With pdc sensors all pver the place.
Cool story bro. 2 minutes? Wow you're my hero!!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 09:19 PM   #10
slmdgee
Usofstance
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328I 6SPD

What size led is the parking light? What size is the low beams in hids ? Also whats size is the turning signal?

IG Stu_UnitedStatesOfStance
United States Of Stance
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 03:57 PM   #11
bcl0328
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceNotRiceBMW View Post
just go to imgur.com and upload them there then post links here.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 06:37 PM   #12
pkancel
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

TsunamiFury....I got to the panel and even had a mirror in there to better see what I was doing but what I dont get is why the low beam bulb is so hard to get out.

The high beam, which appears to be installed exactly the same, simply pulls straight out with very little effort from under the hood.. When i try that on the low beam via that panel you mention, it wont budge, even if I push on the tabs, try turning it slightly, etc no luck at all. I feel like I might break it if I pull any harder. Do you recall what you did to finally get it to release?

I saw where one guy removed the front wheels/tires to see it straight on but I can tell that wont help me. I just turned the wheels out on the side I was working on. I have enough leverage but it just wont budge. and you are 100% correct, the edges around that panel gouged up my hand pretty good.

As much as I am very fond of BMW, this is amazing how they made changing simple bulbs such as huge task. Come on!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TsunamiFury View Post
There is a panel in the wheel well that pulls away and a screw away cap. Its a REAL pain.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 08:05 PM   #13
pkancel
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

So I answered my own question....thanks. To remove the low beam bulb, halogen, I was able to do it without lifting the car and without removing the wheels/tires. I turned the wheel out on the side where working. The key is those 3 flanges holding the bulbs in. You have to squeeze your hand in, squeeze is an understatement. As said above, force your hand in and lose skin...looks like I was in a bar fight...then push the outer edge of each flange and it they will bend slightly. Then as it says in the manual, push up and down on the bulb housing and eventually it will come lose. I had to do it several times and then eventually it pulled out. replace bulb and then before re-installing, you have to get your finger under the outside edge of each flange again and pull them back up to reverse when you push down on them. Dont do it too much, just about the same amount you did to remove the bulb. Once you have done that, insert the top first and then it should snap into place on the bottom. Its not a click or specific noise that sounds like its done. Its much softer. You'll know because if it works, will be harder to remove, if you try it over and over and its still too easy to pull it out, you likely need to pull those flanges up a little more so they are tighter at holding the bulb. Good luck, right hand hurts from skin being peeled off from the sharp edges. But my new Silvania Ultra bulbs are in and are bright white.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 08:19 PM   #14
tiltmode43
I plead the 5th.
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Frontier Pro-4X, '06 Z4MR

These could be the solution to OP's problem. I thought about buying them, but haven't yet, not sure if they are a bit too blue for my tastes or not. I too regret not going with the OEM HID's!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6000K-Xenon-...db63dd&vxp=mtr

| Z4M Build Thread | @violetnites | flickr |
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 07:17 AM   #15
kenza750
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW 525d E61

$229,99 ????

i've seen them for only $ 24,99....weird.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 08:44 AM   #16
bmwluvr24
Driving Mika all over California.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenza750 View Post
$229,99 ????

i've seen them for only $ 24,99....weird.
Yeah I think that was supposed to be 29.99. That is what I paid through this same seller. Only issue is......you have to replace the bulb in the original bulb base. I had to trim the leads to the new LED to fit properly. It wasn't easy.
      02-05-2013, 09:49 AM   #17
zibawal
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5D

Like wise! Count me in too.
Coronas shall be the best though or retrofit xenon with coronas;( lol
Appreciate 0