F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Are low profile run flat tyres incompatible with UK roads ?
GetBMWParts

02-14-2013, 01:05 PM   #1
Isow
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330i MSport

Are low profile run flat tyres incompatible with UK roads ?

With the number of potholes proliferating in UK roads, would it be kinder to our cars to have higher profile tyres ?
Or would adaptive suspension be the answer ? I.e. make it standard on Uk BMWs.
I am tired of crashing into potholes on nearly every journey !
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 01:48 PM   #2
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

I'm driving like a Granny just in case I bugger up my car. I am seeing a Psychiatrist (my ex-wife) who's also having pothole therapy!

Sick to death of our roads. Every journey, every day crash, bang, wollop. Third world UK at the double and rising.
      02-14-2013, 01:53 PM   #3
crazybones
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 718S Boxster, Tesla Model Y

Hit the mother of all potholes today. 19" rims with sports suspension = teeth jarring jolt.

Amazed that there was no damage to the rim!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 01:59 PM   #4
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybones View Post
Hit the mother of all potholes today. 19" rims with sports suspension = teeth jarring jolt.

Amazed that there was no damage to the rim!
Yesterday on the Westway, London, I hit one in my Golf GTI. Thought my wheel was screwed. Was shaking and feeling sick. It was such a jolt that my mobile phone jumped into the footwell! No damage to wheel, surprisingly. I just needed a Scotch afterwards. Perhaps my wheel alignment is a bit out now. Don't care as I've sold the GTI! It goes in 2-3 weeks time.
      02-14-2013, 02:07 PM   #5
crazybones
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30AM View Post
Yesterday on the Westway, London, I hit one in my Golf GTI. Thought my wheel was screwed. Was shaking and feeling sick. It was such a jolt that my mobile phone jumped into the footwell! No damage to wheel, surprisingly. I just needed a Scotch afterwards. Perhaps my wheel alignment is a bit out now. Don't care as I've sold the GTI! It goes in 2-3 weeks time.
Just enjoying a glass of red after a long day! When I hit the pothole, I had passengers, so had to moderate the language....

What are you replacing the GTI with?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 02:14 PM   #6
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Just enjoying a glass of red after a long day! When I hit the pothole, I had passengers, so had to moderate the language....

What are you replacing the GTI with?
When I hit the fcuker, I swore like a fishwife who was having a hormonal change!

I've got the F30 330d M Sport. I am thinking of a Porker Cayman in addition. I'm such a tart in my old age. When the body gives up, the car takes over! Fcuk it, you only live once unless you are James Bond.
      02-14-2013, 02:16 PM   #7
crazybones
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I've got the F30 330d M Sport. I am thinking of a Porker Cayman in addition. I'm such a tart in my old age. When the body gives up, the car takes over!
Have to agree with that. I keep toying with getting a 996. However, common sense keeps stopping me
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 02:17 PM   #8
crazybones
Lieutenant
Rep

Should also say that I love the Cayman. Had the pleasure of driving one round Thruxton a few years ago - lovely car.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 02:21 PM   #9
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Should also say that I love the Cayman. Had the pleasure of driving one round Thruxton a few years ago - lovely car.
It is quite something. I had my first stiffy in 20 years!
      02-14-2013, 02:51 PM   #10
arnsbrae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d

Quote:
It is quite something. I had my first stiffy in 20 years!
Move along folks - nothing to see here...
      02-14-2013, 02:54 PM   #11
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnsbrae View Post
Move along folks - nothing to see here...
Spoilt sport.
      02-14-2013, 03:31 PM   #12
Sladester100
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320d & G29 M40i First Edtn

Garage List
? lol

As for potholes - does anyone look ahead whilst driving and then smoothly change your lane positioning to avoid... ?
      02-14-2013, 03:36 PM   #13
DieselRocket
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435d M Sport

Sorry for being boring and going back on topic, but I curse BMW 'marketing' in my sleep for insisting on RFTs. I tried very hard to get my car without RFTs, but hit a brick wall.

Yes, all the reviews say that the F30 has the best chassis and most supple suspension yet, and that 3rd gen RFTs are much better, but I still think they're compromising ride quality heavily just so they can take a generic brand stance on safety. I'd much rather have the big lift in passive safety from having your tyres much more planted on the road, better ride quality and a more confident feel over bumpy UK roads.

If they were really listening to customers, they'd offer a choice up front on RFT or non RFT. I'd lay money 80% of M Sport buyers would jump at non RFTs, if the pros and cons were explained.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 03:50 PM   #14
changed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 Msport

^^ spot on, after 5 yrs of 18" RFT on my 1coupe, I wolud have chosen non run flats on TheF31 I have just ordered, but there was no choice... Apart from getting an A4
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 03:51 PM   #15
Sladester100
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320d & G29 M40i First Edtn

Garage List
Or just buy some tyres post delivery and get them fitted...?
      02-14-2013, 03:55 PM   #16
Isow
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sladester100 View Post
? lol

As for potholes - does anyone look ahead whilst driving and then smoothly change your lane positioning to avoid... ?
Not always possible !
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 04:04 PM   #17
DieselRocket
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sladester100 View Post
Or just buy some tyres post delivery and get them fitted...?
I'm giving serious thought to doing just that. What bugs me is the cost - I'd probably fit Michelin Pilot Super Sports and that would set me back a grand for the four :-(

Could be worth it though.

Does anyone know if there is any issue putting non-RFTs on RFT rims?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 04:26 PM   #18
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isow View Post
With the number of potholes proliferating in UK roads, would it be kinder to our cars to have higher profile tyres ?
Or would adaptive suspension be the answer ? I.e. make it standard on Uk BMWs.
I am tired of crashing into potholes on nearly every journey !
Higher profile tyres, yes, + adaptive suspension, yes, + non run-flats, even better.

I know from driving various models of BMW, I just don't get how most drivers can live with the lowest profiles.

I ran 17", non run-flats and selective frequency dampers on my E91 330d, as models with bigger rims, lower profiles and sport suspension just fell apart on poor quality roads, let alone thinking potholes. Things have moved on with BMW suspension and RFTs, but we still have poor roads.

It is why I've kept to 18" on a 5-series, with 45 aspect ratio tyres on 245 section tyres, giving a reasonable sidewall height. For winter I've opted for 17" to get a 55 aspect ratio and even greater sidewall dimension. Winter is when you are likely to get caught out, potholes appear between trips and more driving in poor conditions, water filled holes, or it is dark.

I've kept with RFTs, as I don't want all the hassle I had with non run-flats on the 330d, carrying a spare wheel in the boot space and added risk of being in the wrong place to change a wheel. This time it is tyre insurance and relying on BMW ES if caught out.

Adaptive suspension was a key option, whatever BMW I moved to.

If I was running a 3-series, on RFTs, maximum rim would be 18" with a square setup, no wide rear wheels, as that doesn't help either, when road quality falls apart.

I'm a 'form over fashion' driver, best ride/handling balance I can get, with the widest working envelope.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 04:29 PM   #19
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyc View Post
....Does anyone know if there is any issue putting non-RFTs on RFT rims?
You can fit non run-flats on the OEM EH2 (extended hump) rims. They are shaped to give added security to the RFT in the zero pressure condition, so do enhance security on a non run-flat as well.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 04:37 PM   #20
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
You can fit non run-flats on the OEM EH2 (extended hump) rims. They are shaped to give added security to the RFT in the zero pressure condition, so do enhance security on a non run-flat as well.

HighlandPete
Yes, many BMW owners have had to fit Non RFT after having a puncture in the boonies. Not many tyre places keep wide RF's in stock, so often fit a non RF.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 04:41 PM   #21
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Higher profile tyres, yes, + adaptive suspension, yes, + non run-flats, even better.

I know from driving various models of BMW, I just don't get how most drivers can live with the lowest profiles.

I ran 17", non run-flats and selective frequency dampers on my E91 330d, as models with bigger rims, lower profiles and sport suspension just fell apart on poor quality roads, let alone thinking potholes. Things have moved on with BMW suspension and RFTs, but we still have poor roads.

It is why I've kept to 18" on a 5-series, with 45 aspect ratio tyres on 245 section tyres, giving a reasonable sidewall height. For winter I've opted for 17" to get a 55 aspect ratio and even greater sidewall dimension. Winter is when you are likely to get caught out, potholes appear between trips and more driving in poor conditions, water filled holes, or it is dark.

I've kept with RFTs, as I don't want all the hassle I had with non run-flats on the 330d, carrying a spare wheel in the boot space and added risk of being in the wrong place to change a wheel. This time it is tyre insurance and relying on BMW ES if caught out.

Adaptive suspension was a key option, whatever BMW I moved to.

If I was running a 3-series, on RFTs, maximum rim would be 18" with a square setup, no wide rear wheels, as that doesn't help either, when road quality falls apart.

I'm a 'form over fashion' driver, best ride/handling balance I can get, with the widest working envelope.

HighlandPete
I am thinking I might change to non RF when these are worn. I'll get the pump and slime kit and AA membership.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 04:50 PM   #22
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Got this little fekker down the road from me... over a foot long and been there for weeks!

All too common and damned annoying in the car, but on the motorbike...

You can supposedly report them online if it makes you feel any better - West Sussex has a site here http://love.westsussex.gov.uk/Reports

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0