F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Cleaning products Help!
Studio RSR

04-13-2014, 09:13 AM   #1
///MSport420
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 420D M SPORT

Cleaning products Help!

Sorry guys, had to start another thread as am about to order products for my newly detailed car.
The car has G3 glasscoat and i don't want to end up buying some harsh stuff so it would be great if you guys could share your experties please.

I allready have purchased jetwash so now i need

Foam wash
Car shampoo
Any top up treatment for g3 glasscoat
Alloy wheel cleaner (wheels has g3 aswell)
Mits, drying towel etc

What else do i need? Thanks in advance
      04-13-2014, 09:27 AM   #2
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MSport420 View Post
Sorry guys, had to start another thread as am about to order products for my newly detailed car.
The car has G3 glasscoat and i don't want to end up buying some harsh stuff so it would be great if you guys could share your experties please.

I allready have purchased jetwash so now i need

Foam wash
Car shampoo
Any top up treatment for g3 glasscoat
Alloy wheel cleaner (wheels has g3 aswell)
Mits, drying towel etc

What else do i need? Thanks in advance
Th first thing I would do is get the detailer to suggest what works best with what they put on.

Foam I would suggest avalanche.
Shampoo, dodo juice born to be mild - very gentle shampoo will not strip wax layer off.
Just shampoo and wash - G3 should keep going.
Mitts lambs wool.
Plenty towel, mammoths etc.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/index.php

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk

Some sites there to check out.

Autoglym aqua wax may be worth trying as well, you shove it on wet car, dry n buff.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 11:43 AM   #3
///MSport420
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
Th first thing I would do is get the detailer to suggest what works best with what they put on.

Foam I would suggest avalanche.
Shampoo, dodo juice born to be mild - very gentle shampoo will not strip wax layer off.
Just shampoo and wash - G3 should keep going.
Mitts lambs wool.
Plenty towel, mammoths etc.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/index.php

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk

Some sites there to check out.

Autoglym aqua wax may be worth trying as well, you shove it on wet car, dry n buff.
Thanks i will look at those.. What about wheel cleaner.. It has g3 coat aswell?
And what top up treatment should i go for?
I will speak to him tomorrow
      04-13-2014, 12:25 PM   #4
Mattjkilo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 320d M Sport+

I spent a lot of time with my new found Detailer asking what he recommended based on value and washing quality.

He strongly advised the following products and said their is almost no point in buying anymore than the below (as long as you visit a Detailer once a year):

Britemax Ironmax (use every few washes on the alloys and bodywork surrounding them)
Britemac Cleanmax (Shampoo lasts forever as it's very highly concentrated)
Britemax Spray n Shine

Wash Mit (I have two, one for paintwork one for wheels, you can get wheel specific mitts which work great to get in the corners etc)

Angled Brush for alloys

Couple of buckets with grit guards

Snow foam lance and snow foam. I HIGHLY recommend Autobrite Snowfoam lance and magifoam, if you call autobrite up they have some awesome offers on combined deals.

I use i4detailing.co.uk
Ultimatefinish.co.uk
Autobritedirect

I'm more than happy to itemise all the stuff and tell you exactly what brands of mitt etc works well if you want by giving me a PM or more than happy to gimme a call. I too was new to the whole thing of properly washing my car and caring for the paintwork, tom at tkdetailing spent a good 6 or 7 hours showing me everything I ever needed to know both interior and exterior.

Hope it helps,

Matt
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 12:34 PM   #5
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattjkilo View Post
I spent a lot of time with my new found Detailer asking what he recommended based on value and washing quality.

He strongly advised the following products and said their is almost no point in buying anymore than the below (as long as you visit a Detailer once a year):

Britemax Ironmax (use every few washes on the alloys and bodywork surrounding them)
Britemac Cleanmax (Shampoo lasts forever as it's very highly concentrated)
Britemax Spray n Shine

Wash Mit (I have two, one for paintwork one for wheels, you can get wheel specific mitts which work great to get in the corners etc)

Angled Brush for alloys

Couple of buckets with grit guards

Snow foam lance and snow foam. I HIGHLY recommend Autobrite Snowfoam lance and magifoam, if you call autobrite up they have some awesome offers on combined deals.

I use i4detailing.co.uk
Ultimatefinish.co.uk
Autobritedirect

I'm more than happy to itemise all the stuff and tell you exactly what brands of mitt etc works well if you want by giving me a PM or more than happy to gimme a call. I too was new to the whole thing of properly washing my car and caring for the paintwork, tom at tkdetailing spent a good 6 or 7 hours showing me everything I ever needed to know both interior and exterior.

Hope it helps,

Matt
+1 for the autobrite deals, wash MIT for alloys and one for car, angled brushes and get decent internal cleaning stuff.
FK1000p is good wax for alloys and exhaust tip.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 12:57 PM   #6
///MSport420
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
+1 for the autobrite deals, wash MIT for alloys and one for car, angled brushes and get decent internal cleaning stuff.
Just been to the gen3 website and it does not recommend wax nor my detailer did. He said just foam wash and handwash every fortnight. He also advised not to use any wheel cleaner as they are abrasive unless the wheels are really bad full of grime but then it will require sealing again. So overall he advised to let the G3 do the work..basically just wash the car and use detailing spray now and then.?
      04-13-2014, 12:57 PM   #7
JoshB25
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 318d M-Sport

A local guy I know owns www.perfectlycleaned.co.uk

Great detailing store with great choice.

Ive always used Gtechniq, PRIMA, dodo juice and occasionally other respectable detailing brands. Its nice to stick to the same brand throughout their ranges as they tend to work well in conjunction with each other.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 01:04 PM   #8
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MSport420 View Post
Just been to the gen3 website and it does not recommend wax nor my detailer did. He said just foam wash and handwash every fortnight. He also advised not to use any wheel cleaner as they are abrasive unless the wheels are really bad full of grime but then it will require sealing again. So overall he advised to let the G3 do the work..basically just wash the car and use detailing spray now and then.?
Yeah best to stick what he advises, he knows what product he put on.

It could be worth asking on detailing world or clean your car forums.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 01:49 PM   #9
///MSport420
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

What do you think og autoglym shampoo?? My detailer advised ph neutral shampoo so am looking at dodo juice born to mild you mentioned early. I think am going for it
      04-13-2014, 01:55 PM   #10
Torquein
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MSport420
Quote:

What do you think og autoglym shampoo?? My detailer advised ph neutral shampoo so am looking at dodo juice born to mild some mentioned early
I think it's ph neutral. I've used it on my cars for years (assume you mean the conditioner shampoo) and never had an issue with it stripping the lsp. It's also freely available with a quick trip to Halfords. Autoglym stuff is pretty good it just gets a bad rep sometimes as it's not the coolest brand.
      04-13-2014, 05:29 PM   #11
Mattjkilo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MSport420
Quote:
Most products these days are ph neutral, all those mentioned in my previous reply will have no effect on any lsp's.

I was my car every Friday afternoon:

Hose Soak
Snow Foam
Pressure wash Soak
Hand Wash
Pressure wash soak
Dry
Detailing Spray

Then once every 6 or 7 months send to Detailer to just give it a good once over. After having my car protected by tkdetailing for 250 I will now only need a detail which will be about 80 quid every 6 months which includes interior protection.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 05:34 PM   #12
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Most products these days are ph neutral, all those mentioned in my previous reply will have no effect on any lsp's.

Hose Soak
Snow Foam
Pressure wash Soak
Hand Wash
Pressure wash soak
Dry
Detailing Spray

Then once every 6 or 7 months send to Detailer to just give it a good once over. After having my car protected by tkdetailing for 250 I will now only need a detail which will be about 80 quid every 6 months which includes interior protection.

That is really good deal that, one of the places midlands Coventry way quoted me 450 and extra for wheels!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 05:36 PM   #13
Mattjkilo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand
Quote:

Hose Soak
Snow Foam
Pressure wash Soak
Hand Wash
Pressure wash soak
Dry
Detailing Spray

That is really good deal that, one of the places midlands Coventry way quoted me 450 and extra for wheels!
Yeah, I did the whole process with him. Basically the 250 was a protection far superior to any franchised Autoglym Lifeshine you can get and lasts just as long without the top ups but is rather he give it a look over every 6 months and give it a good once over with a rotary to keep it looking better than it did having left the Dealer!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 06:18 PM   #14
MRPoisson
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 435D M Sport+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquein View Post
I think it's ph neutral. I've used it on my cars for years (assume you mean the conditioner shampoo) and never had an issue with it stripping the lsp. It's also freely available with a quick trip to Halfords. Autoglym stuff is pretty good it just gets a bad rep sometimes as it's not the coolest brand.
+1 autoglym products are excellent and extemely good value for money. Used them for years and my cars always gleam

Gone F30 320D 8AT M Sport Mineral grey
Gone E92 320D M Sport Sparkling Graphite
Gone E46 320D M Sport Silver Grey
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 06:38 PM   #15
Torquein
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRPoisson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquein View Post
+1 autoglym products are excellent and extemely good value for money. Used them for years and my cars always gleam
Yep, I like their shampoo, hd wax although it's a tad pricey, egp if you have lots of time, srp is a great product, some of the interior products are ok and the tar remover is good also imo. Halfords also sell some absolute dog crap stuff for high prices though so you need to be careful.
      04-13-2014, 06:48 PM   #16
Proftinkerpot
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport -Superman

I wouldn't buy from Halfrauds. Better to go to detailing world or cleanyourcar.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 01:23 AM   #17
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proftinkerpot View Post
+1

Better and cheaper products elsewhere.

Apart from that my local halfrauds is really crap to park at and usually has people in Y reg peogeots and fiestas and baseball caps.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 02:47 AM   #18
Torquein
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proftinkerpot
I'd agree most of the time, but Halfords has it's place for me. Buying online you've got shipping costs, you have to wait for delivery, if you miss the post you have to go to the depot. Some of The autoglym stuff is good as is some other stuff Halfords stock (eg farecla g3 wax I like) and it's there immediately when you want it, but I'd agree that Halfords is generally expensive and you can generally get better deals/products on line.
      04-14-2014, 03:00 AM   #19
chiark
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 330D 2014

I use http://www.ishinecarcare.co.uk/ , which is run by an old friend.

2 buckets, both with grit guards.
Autobrite Foam Lance, with autobrite super snow foam (magifoam is not pH neutral so will strip off some of your existing protection stuff if you leave it on too long)
Rinse off with pressure washer
Autoglym shampoo with merino wash mitt
Rinse off
Dry with towels
When needed, Hellshine Abyss spray sealant
A few weeks after sealant, zymol wax from 10 years ago that's still going strong

You can spend a fortune, but there's no need to. As mentioned above, most of the systems work really well now, and Halfords carries a good range - but no grit guards yet!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 03:56 AM   #20
Torquein
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiark View Post
I use http://www.ishinecarcare.co.uk/ , which is run by an old friend.

2 buckets, both with grit guards.
Autobrite Foam Lance, with autobrite super snow foam (magifoam is not pH neutral so will strip off some of your existing protection stuff if you leave it on too long)
Rinse off with pressure washer
Autoglym shampoo with merino wash mitt
Rinse off
Dry with towels
When needed, Hellshine Abyss spray sealant
A few weeks after sealant, zymol wax from 10 years ago that's still going strong

You can spend a fortune, but there's no need to. As mentioned above, most of the systems work really well now, and Halfords carries a good range - but no grit guards yet!
Halfords - no grit guards, I know whats that about? its crazy you'd imagine they would definitely stock these. I got mine from Amazon a while back but if they'd been in Halfords even at 20% more cost I'd have just got them from there, you cant beat a spot purchase .