F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > BMW USB Charger - Light Stays On all the time
GetBMWParts

01-15-2013, 08:45 PM   #1
mjmonjure
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30

BMW USB Charger - Light Stays On all the time

Like many 328i owners, I have kids. Kids with iDevices. So I thought it would be a good idea to remove the cigarette lighter plug behind the center console so that the kids could charge their devices. So I purchased the $25 BMW charger sold on the BMWUSA website.

After plugging it in, I noticed that that the green LED was on, with no ignition or accessory power applied.

I am pretty sure the car has an auto shutoff to preserve the battery if something (like a an overhead light) is left on, but I do not want to count on that. It does the same thing if I move it to the lighter receptacle in the front of the console. Am I overlooking something simple? You would think that the power to these lighter receptacles would be key/button controlled and not applied at all times or that BMW, knowing that it was, would not have an LED in the charger.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 03:02 AM   #2
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

It doesn't stay on. I have one plugged into the socket where the ashtray would be and got a little concerned about what appeared to be a permanent power supply. It even stays on if you get out of the car and lock it.

However, it appears it is timed. I made a point of checking the other day. Left the little cubby open, got out of the car, locked it, green light still on. Went for a coffee and then when I came back I looked through the window and the light was off. Unlock the car and it comes on again straight away.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 09:25 PM   #3
mjmonjure
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1068 View Post
It doesn't stay on. I have one plugged into the socket where the ashtray would be and got a little concerned about what appeared to be a permanent power supply. It even stays on if you get out of the car and lock it.

However, it appears it is timed. I made a point of checking the other day. Left the little cubby open, got out of the car, locked it, green light still on. Went for a coffee and then when I came back I looked through the window and the light was off. Unlock the car and it comes on again straight away.
Perfect!! Thank You
Appreciate 0