F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Tweeters for back doors - Hi Fi
Studio RSR

10-22-2015, 12:19 PM   #1
LUV335
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 335i MPPK

I have a F30 with hi fi system that I upgraded to bav sound speakers. I am wondering if there is anyway to install two tweeters in the back door, with a filter of course. If there is I am thinking of buying the bav sound tweeters. Has anyone done this before? Is it possible? Please share your thoughts or DIY. Thanks.
Appreciate 2
      10-22-2015, 03:57 PM   #2
chazmink
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUV335
I have a F30 with hi fi system that I upgraded to bav sound speakers. I am wondering if there is anyway to install two tweeters in the back door, with a filter of course. If there is I am thinking of buying the bav sound tweeters. Has anyone done this before? Is it possible? Please share your thoughts or DIY. Thanks.
I am in the same situation and would be interested in doing this as well. I would also consider installing their center channel tweeter in the dash. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

2013 328i MSport Estoril Blue, 6spd MT, Premium, Tech & Drivers Assist +, Bavsound Stage One/Ghost, Bimmertech Amp
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 08:22 PM   #3
MSportTune2
First Lieutenant
Aland Islands
Rep
Drives: F30 MSport

Hi, if you open the rear door panel, you can see the tweeter outline. You need to buy an original tweeter bracket that goes into the stock location. The tricky part is to open a hole to the exact size. I have done this professionally at an installer here. The installer used a silicone glue to hold the tweeter bracket in place as we don't have special factory silicone type "rivets". I have no idea if the Bavsound tweeters fit into the original tweeter brackets as I did a HK upgrade.

Last edited by MSportTune2; 10-22-2015 at 08:31 PM..
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2015, 08:30 PM   #4
MSportTune2
First Lieutenant
Aland Islands
Rep

I forgot to mention that you will need tweeter covers for the HK tweeters. I bought HK covers for the whole car so the part numbers are:

1. 5142 7 316 863 left side tweeter bracket
2. 5142 7 316 864 right side tweeter bracket
3. 5142 7 281 459 HK rear tweeter covers

Pls verify the part numbers as I took it off the Stockist invoice.
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2015, 09:22 PM   #5
LUV335
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSportTune2
I forgot to mention that you will need tweeter covers for the HK tweeters. I bought HK covers for the whole car so the part numbers are:

Ok great! thanks for the info.

How to wire it up? Does anyone know how to do this using bavsound speakers and tweeter?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 02:56 AM   #6
boosted43
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 C43 AMG

Garage List
2015 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUV335
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSportTune2

How to wire it up? Does anyone know how to do this using bavsound speakers and tweeter?
you can use the crossover.
      10-23-2015, 02:58 AM   #7
boosted43
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 335i  [0.00]
also tweeters in the back don't really do anything. if you really want to improve your sound setup get a pair of better mids and tweeters for your front doors and underseat sub with bimmertech amp. that'll do you much more justice than going great through the hassle of adding tweeters to your rear doors.
      10-26-2015, 09:43 AM   #8
LUV335
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabawi91 View Post
also tweeters in the back don't really do anything. if you really want to improve your sound setup get a pair of better mids and tweeters for your front doors and underseat sub with bimmertech amp. that'll do you much more justice than going great through the hassle of adding tweeters to your rear doors.
I do have the Bav sound upgrade that includes all mid range and front tweeters. I also have the Bimmertech amp. The issue is that the sound is too bright in the front and dull in the back. Was thinking maybe adding tweeters will help lower the brightness in front (which I hate) without affecting the back seat experience. Is it worth? or is it just a matter of tuning the bimmertech amp?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 11:43 PM   #9
boosted43
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 335i  [0.00]
if by brightness you're referring to the highs you should be able to tune that via amp.
      11-20-2015, 03:54 AM   #10
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 328i M-Sport

oh man... i don't know how i missed this thread. I've been wanting to do this for awhile. I had a long discussion with Bavsound over this.

Here's where i'm at with my status:
  • i was able to locate the tweeter mount part number, and those are pretty inexpensive (~$20-$30)
  • There are no door panels with the pre-drilled holes for the tweeter mounts (that i have been able to find anyways)
  • I don't wanna experiment (drill holes) on my stock doors
  • The only alternative now is to buy standard door panels and drill holes through or find them on Ebay/Salvage Yard

When i look at the stock tweeter mounts for the front door panels, they are somehow "fused" or "welded" into the door panel when you look at it from inside. Its really well done as far as being integrated into the door panel, not sure how the process is done, but i doubt by DIY'ing someone will be able to get near that perfection. I wish they would just sell the door panel with the tweeter mounts installed as a separate part number, but i haven't been able to locate that yet.

Quote:
On Wed, Jul 1, 2015 at 11:09 AM, Jason Seaver <support@bavsound.com> wrote:
Hey Squid:

I’m so sorry to have taken so long to get back with you - I was out on vacation and just returned.

So, to answer your two questions - yep, the midranges you have will accommodate the addition of the new tweeters - there’s a plug waiting there.

And yes, we also sell just the rear door tweeters/passive crossover networks.. The easiest way is for us to just give you a ring and take your order over the phone - you’ll be looking at $159 plus $10 shipping. We have them in stock and ready to roll.

Shoot me a good number on which to ring you and I’ll touch base this afternoon.

Jason Seaver
On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 11:16 AM, Squidlyboy wrote:
Sorry.. i'm not sure i painted the full picture of where my audio system is currently. Here is my situation:

Originally:
- Standard HiFi system (9 speaker system)
- Center OEM midrange in dash
- Front: OEM tweeter and OEM midrange in front doors, and OEM woofers underseat
- Rear: OEM midrange in rear doors
- OEM amp

Currently:
- Same HiFi Headunit
- Bavsound Stage-1 upgrade for all 9 speakers
- JL Audio XD800v2/8 800w amp
- Each speaker mapped to 1 amp channel (one unused amp channel leftover)

So while, the OEM amp may have been originally delivering only half of what it delivered to the front, to the rears, the new XD800 is delivering the same (100w) to the fronts and rears alike. In this case, i would like to add Bavsound tweeters to the rear Bavsound midranges that are already there.

So this is what i think i need from you:
1) two BSW Stage-1 tweeters
2) two passive crossover filter circuits (to add between the midrange and tweeter)

This is what i need to do:
1) cut holes in the rear door panels to add the tweeter or purchase the HK-system rear door panel from BMW
2) Connect the tweeters up to the midranges and mount it to door

Questions for you:
1) do the rear midranges have connectors already on them to add the tweeters? Its been awhile since i did the install and i don't remember if i saw connectors on them - again this is for the rear midranges that would not have tweeters on them for the HiFi upgrade, so i just wanted to make sure. If th already have it, then i would think its as simple as plugging in the passive crossovers + tweeters, then mounting to door
2) do you sell the tweeters + passive crossovers by themselves and if so how much would it be?

Thanks,
Squidlyboy
On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 9:59 AM, Jason Seaver <support@bavsound.com> wrote:
Hey Squidlyboy:

I think what Jeremy was saying was based on his thinking that there weren’t OE tweeters back there, so there couldn’t be much of a difference.

You’re right, there will be a noticeable difference in sound coming from the rear, but the OE amplifier’s rear outputs are roughly half that of the front. The output won’t be as dramatic, but you’ll certainly know the tweeters are back there.

Now, how to make that happen… You’d have to source the OE tweeters and housings from a Harman Kardon car. You can find this part number at your local BMW center. I’m not sure what it would cost, nor how you’d safely go about installing the OE tweeters (you’d have to cut holes in the door panels), but provided you’re up to the task I say give it a go!

If you decide to give it a go, we can certainly get you some tweeters on the way. Keep me posted.

Jason Seaver

On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 08:03 pm, Squidlyboy wrote:
I'm curious why you say it won't make much of a difference.

The tweeters for the front's are making a HUGE difference and they are attached to the same midrange speakers that the rears have. Also, the amount of power going to the fronts is the same amount of power going to the rears. So i would then have to assume they would make the same difference in the back as they would in the rear, esp for my passengers.

I assume also that the rear midrange speakers have the same connectors to plug in the tweeters as the front midranges since they are all the same?

Thanks
Squidlyboy
On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 6:01 PM, Jeremy Whittle <support@bavsound.com> wrote:
Hey Ben,

If your factory system did not include these it's not something we recommend, and honestly won't make all that large of a sound difference. While we do have the connectors to do so, it is not recommended for your application. Please let me know if you have any further questions, or if I can help in any other way!

Jeremy Whittle

On Fri, Jun 19, 2015 at 09:42 pm Squidlyboy wrote:
Name: Squidlyboy
Details: I have the BSW Stage-1 upgrade already for my BMW F30 2014 328i.

I would like to add a couple of extra tweeters to the rear sides which is currently only a midrange in the rear doors. Is this possible?

I don't remember if the rear midranges had connectors that allow you to add tweeters along with the passive crossovers after the fact?

Thanks
Squidlyboy
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 04:01 AM   #11
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUV335 View Post

From Bavsound tech, they say all midranges they sell already have the connector that the crossover circuit and tweeter fits into. So all you would need is to buy a pair of tweeters and a pair of cross-overs and it would just plug straight in.

Just a fair warning though that from what Bavsound says, the OE amp for Hi-Fi only outputs half the power to the rears compared to the fronts. So putting tweeters in the rears may not have as much effect if you are still using the OEM amp.

Since i have an upgraded amp that puts out 100W to the front and equally puts out 100W to the rears, it will be waaaayy more noticeable. Right now, the rears are really dull compared to my fronts. I want to equalize that a bit. And its not just more highs. The tweeters in the fronts are huge/powerful. It will make a difference in the back as far as output.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 08:30 PM   #12
MSportTune2
First Lieutenant
Aland Islands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidlyboy View Post
From Bavsound tech, they say all midranges they sell already have the connector that the crossover circuit and tweeter fits into. So all you would need is to buy a pair of tweeters and a pair of cross-overs and it would just plug straight in.

Just a fair warning though that from what Bavsound says, the OE amp for Hi-Fi only outputs half the power to the rears compared to the fronts. So putting tweeters in the rears may not have as much effect if you are still using the OEM amp.

Since i have an upgraded amp that puts out 100W to the front and equally puts out 100W to the rears, it will be waaaayy more noticeable. Right now, the rears are really dull compared to my fronts. I want to equalize that a bit. And its not just more highs. The tweeters in the fronts are huge/powerful. It will make a difference in the back as far as output.
Thanks to all who have provided great info. When you do the rear tweeters using HK tweeters, the tweeter brackets have a slot to mount the tube like crossover. Really neat! Not sure if the bavsounds one fits there though.

I am very excited as my stock set up is from a base setup with no amp and hence no harness. So I am waiting earnestly for my Bimmertech amp, main harness and amp bracket. Since I don't have center speakers, I am going to cut a hole to install the center channel and have purchased the HK center speaker cover. Then in mid Dec, I would have received the Bavsound underseat ghost subs ordered long time go.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 08:37 PM   #13
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSportTune2 View Post
The tricky part is to open a hole to the exact size. I have done this professionally at an installer here. The installer used a silicone glue to hold the tweeter bracket in place as we don't have special factory silicone type "rivets". I have no idea if the Bavsound tweeters fit into the original tweeter brackets as I did a HK upgrade.
Do you know what the installer did to cut the hole with? The challenge i see is that its not just cutting a clean hole through that pressboard material that the door panel is made out of, but the other side of it (facing inside cabin) is a vinyl like surface, and cutting a hole will entail not tearing up the vinyl surface. If that gets ruined, it will show for sure.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 08:37 PM   #14
MSportTune2
First Lieutenant
Aland Islands
Rep

When i look at the stock tweeter mounts for the front door panels, they are somehow "fused" or "welded" into the door panel when you look at it from inside. Its really well done as far as being integrated into the door panel, not sure how the process is done, but i doubt by DIY'ing someone will be able to get near that perfection. I wish they would just sell the door panel with the tweeter mounts installed as a separate part number, but i haven't been able to locate that yet.[/QUOTE]

Mine was done so well that you can't tell from outside that the tweeters were added later. The trick is to take out bit by bit and match the tweeter holders as you go along so as not to take out too much material. If you can find the correct tool with varying diameter, it will help but my installer did not have the tool and they first drilled as big as they could then use a NT cutter/blade to slowly remove bit by bit using the rear tweeter template as a guide.
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2015, 11:37 PM   #15
MSportTune2
First Lieutenant
Aland Islands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidlyboy View Post
Do you know what the installer did to cut the hole with? The challenge i see is that its not just cutting a clean hole through that pressboard material that the door panel is made out of, but the other side of it (facing inside cabin) is a vinyl like surface, and cutting a hole will entail not tearing up the vinyl surface. If that gets ruined, it will show for sure.
The tweeter cover has an overhang ie it is bigger than the hole that you need to create. It will cover the jagged edges and can't be seen.
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2015, 11:42 PM   #16
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep

awesome! that takes care of 99% of my concerns doing things like this only one time doesn't give you the practice needed to get things perfect. its nice to know you can hide your mistakes...

So once the bracket is pushed through the hole, it can secured just with some glue? Is this silicone glue like JB Weld / Quik Weld? or something different...

All Bavsound speakers are designed to be direct drop-in replacements for BMW OE speakers so it should fit OEM brackets fine.

EDIT: Btw... HK tweeters and Hi-Fi tweeters size should be same right?

Last edited by squidlyboy; 11-21-2015 at 12:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2015, 10:30 AM   #17
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

This is generally a bad idea if the sole purpose is to improve the sound for the driver and passenger seats only. First of all, adding tweeters in the rear will not take away "harshness" from the front. En contrere, it will add more harshness. Also, and most importantly, it will mess up the staging for the front seats by "pulling" the sound stage back towards the rear. In fact, there should be no need for rear speakers at all if the front stage is set-up properly.

There are only two reasons to have rear speakers:

1. You really really care about the sound for your rear seat passengers, and you are willing to sacrifice the sound in front to do so.

2. You listen to EDM music which is not recorded with a soundstage, and you want to be able to "blast" the music throughout the car and be in the middle of it so to speak, like in a dance club.

If you care about reproducing "normal" (non EDM type) music the way it was recorded, you want to eliminate the rear speakers and focus on the front stage only.
      11-21-2015, 03:52 PM   #18
LUV335
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69
This is generally a bad idea if the sole purpose is to improve the sound for the driver and passenger seats only. First of all, adding tweeters in the rear will not take away "harshness" from the front. En contrere, it will add more harshness. Also, and most importantly, it will mess up the staging for the front seats by "pulling" the sound stage back towards the rear. In fact, there should be no need for rear speakers at all if the front stage is set-up properly.

There are only two reasons to have rear speakers:

1. You really really care about the sound for your rear seat passengers, and you are willing to sacrifice the sound in front to do so.

2. You listen to EDM music which is not recorded with a soundstage, and you want to be able to "blast" the music throughout the car and be in the middle of it so to speak, like in a dance club.

If you care about reproducing "normal" (non EDM type) music the way it was recorded, you want to eliminate the rear speakers and focus on the front stage only.
I have the bimmertech amp that lets you adjust EQs, delay and volume output individually on every channel. So I would think you can tune a setup with tweeters in the back and still have the front stage and a little more treble in the back. Currently to sound good in the back it takes a little more treble in the front than I like. Oh and BTW the HK setup has tweeters in on every mid channel, including the rear doors and rear dash speakers and it still has good front stage. I think with the flexibility that bimmertech amp has one could tune it to sound good both in front and back. Just a thought, haven't tried.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2017, 03:42 PM   #19
antah
Private First Class
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: G31 530xD

Guys, please help me out, I found door trims with HK in my color on ebay for a reasonable price. Are there holes needed for tweeter installations in my door or how do they fix? Bolt to the trim? Anyone got pictures, maybe? Thanks in advance!
      06-19-2017, 04:08 PM   #20
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUV335 View Post
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...hlight=tweeter
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 08:20 AM   #21
antah
Private First Class
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: G31 530xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Damn, guys, how do you know exactly where to point! That's amazing! Thank you.