F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 700 miles, engine being replaced
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-31-2013, 03:28 AM   #1
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
CPWINCH's Avatar
United_States
257
Rep
4,333
Posts

Drives: F82 M4
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (5)

700 miles, engine being replaced

I got my car about 5 days ago. After about two days and about 300 miles I heard a strange vibrating ticking noise from the engine bay at around 3.5k-4k rpm. A couple days go by and the ticking vibrating noise gets louder and does it at all rpms and even idle. I bring it into my dealer to see whats wrong. I was thinking maybe a belt or something was hitting and causing the noise. After 2 days of being at the dealer I call my service advisor to learn my car is now having the entire engine replaced and they will have it for about 10 days. I got very little information but will update tomorrow. I am extremely upset and angry as I have only put 700 miles on the car and its brand new. I was enjoying it so much and obeying the break in rules just to have the engine replaced. What is there to do now?

Car:
2013
335i
N55
F30
______
__________________
Follow my BMW instagram @CARMODIFICATION Let me know you are from bimmerpost and i'll follow back
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 08:22 AM   #2
Zach60
New Member
United_States
0
Rep
9
Posts

Drives: BMW 3-Series
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Really isn't anything you can do at this point as long as the dealer returns the car to you in optimum condition. Hopefully you have a loaner.
__________________

2013 328i xDrive Sedan
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 09:48 AM   #3
roundel335
Major General
roundel335's Avatar
United_States
565
Rep
5,640
Posts

Drives: 13 335i Sedan, 16 228i Cabrio
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Leland, NC

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Unfortunately, this sort of thing happens every once in awhile - probably a manufacturing defect. If it's being replaced by BMW, then you'll get it back in as-new condition with full warranty - although if it were me, I'd probably want a replacement brand-new vehicle.
__________________

2013 F30 335i M-Sport 8AT/MPE/MPPK, 2016 228i M-Sport Cabrio 8AT
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 11:26 AM   #4
nilfinite
Private First Class
12
Rep
117
Posts

Drives: F83 M4 & E89 Z4
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (1)

Not sure if you tuned the car, read about another F30 having its engine replaced that coincidentally had a tune.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 01:36 PM   #5
GhazaliGTE
Second Lieutenant
GhazaliGTE's Avatar
9
Rep
256
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
Unfortunately, this sort of thing happens every once in awhile - probably a manufacturing defect. If it's being replaced by BMW, then you'll get it back in as-new condition with full warranty - although if it were me, I'd probably want a replacement brand-new vehicle.
I second that notion! I would definitely demand a new car, myself. Not sure that it would get anywhere but I would be very upset!! So sorry to hear about this, such a terrible thing to happen to such a beautiful car.

Be sure to update!!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 01:47 PM   #6
Dan_335i
Captain
61
Rep
934
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i EBII MSport
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: toronto

iTrader: (0)

I would demand a new car. The car wont be original and wouldnt u want the engine to be installed like it was at the factory or your dealership where they might mess up.

That or demand lower payments
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 02:05 PM   #7
roundel335
Major General
roundel335's Avatar
United_States
565
Rep
5,640
Posts

Drives: 13 335i Sedan, 16 228i Cabrio
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Leland, NC

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Yeah, and you wonder about matching engine/chassis numbers and such...the car should go back to BMW and be replaced entirely, now that I think about it. 700 miles is way too soon to be swapping engines. OP - what are your "lemon laws" like out where you are?
__________________

2013 F30 335i M-Sport 8AT/MPE/MPPK, 2016 228i M-Sport Cabrio 8AT
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 03:44 PM   #8
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
CPWINCH's Avatar
United_States
257
Rep
4,333
Posts

Drives: F82 M4
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach60 View Post
Really isn't anything you can do at this point as long as the dealer returns the car to you in optimum condition. Hopefully you have a loaner.
I do not have a loaner currently

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
Unfortunately, this sort of thing happens every once in awhile - probably a manufacturing defect. If it's being replaced by BMW, then you'll get it back in as-new condition with full warranty - although if it were me, I'd probably want a replacement brand-new vehicle.
yeah I feel the same way. Its just really sad to see your dream car already getting an engine replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilfinite View Post
Not sure if you tuned the car, read about another F30 having its engine replaced that coincidentally had a tune.
No tune. yet. Have a JB4 but havent installed
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhazaliGTE View Post
I second that notion! I would definitely demand a new car, myself. Not sure that it would get anywhere but I would be very upset!! So sorry to hear about this, such a terrible thing to happen to such a beautiful car.

Be sure to update!!
thanks man ill keep you guys updated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_335i View Post
I would demand a new car. The car wont be original and wouldnt u want the engine to be installed like it was at the factory or your dealership where they might mess up.

That or demand lower payments
I would demand a new car but my car is pretty rare and I dont know what kind of luck I would have finding the same one. Every package, Estoril blue, piano black interior, msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
Yeah, and you wonder about matching engine/chassis numbers and such...the car should go back to BMW and be replaced entirely, now that I think about it. 700 miles is way too soon to be swapping engines. OP - what are your "lemon laws" like out where you are?
Im looking into it currently. So far I think they might pay one of my payments which is bullshit. Ill keep you guys updated
__________________
Follow my BMW instagram @CARMODIFICATION Let me know you are from bimmerpost and i'll follow back
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 04:22 PM   #9
F32
Banned
13
Rep
688
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: SF

iTrader: (0)

Demand a new car. To pull the engine out at 700 miles and expect everything to be perfect is unreasonable. Nothing goes back on the same way after it leaves the factory. Remember, these aren't highly educated engineers or precision robots doing the work. They're Wyotech grads who were for the most part going nowhere after high school.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 04:38 PM   #10
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
CPWINCH's Avatar
United_States
257
Rep
4,333
Posts

Drives: F82 M4
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32 View Post
Demand a new car. To pull the engine out at 700 miles and expect everything to be perfect is unreasonable. Nothing goes back on the same way after it leaves the factory. Remember, these aren't highly educated engineers or precision robots doing the work. They're Wyotech grads who were for the most part going nowhere after high school.
I agree. The problem is that my car is estoril blue, msport with piano black trim. Pretty hard to come by. So not really sure what to do at this point
__________________
Follow my BMW instagram @CARMODIFICATION Let me know you are from bimmerpost and i'll follow back
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 04:44 PM   #11
dc503
Second Lieutenant
78
Rep
286
Posts

Drives: 340i
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ashburn, VA

iTrader: (3)

Wow, that sucks and good luck in getting everything fixed correctly.

I'm laughing at what some people think they're entitled to though. Yeah, this wasn't supposed to happen and BMW and your dealer should make it right...that goes without saying. A brand new car is totally unreasonable for a one time failure. In fact, I'd credit the dealer in getting a total motor replacement authorized versus reusing any old components entirely, that is a great thing in this situation.
__________________
2016 340i
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 04:47 PM   #12
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
CPWINCH's Avatar
United_States
257
Rep
4,333
Posts

Drives: F82 M4
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc503 View Post
Wow, that sucks and good luck in getting everything fixed correctly.

I'm laughing at what some people think they're entitled to though. Yeah, this wasn't supposed to happen and BMW and your dealer should make it right...that goes without saying. A brand new car is totally unreasonable for a one time failure. In fact, I'd credit the dealer in getting a total motor replacement authorized versus reusing any old components entirely, that is a great thing in this situation.
thanks man
__________________
Follow my BMW instagram @CARMODIFICATION Let me know you are from bimmerpost and i'll follow back
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 07:55 PM   #13
Vectors2final
Brigadier General
Vectors2final's Avatar
United_States
816
Rep
3,175
Posts

Drives: 2018 F80 YMB/SS ZCP
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Austin, Tx

iTrader: (0)

Sorry about your luck.

How were you able to pick the piano black trim? Through PIA?
__________________
Delivered: 2018 F80 Part Deux /DCT /YMB /Full SS /CF Trim /ZCP /ZEC w/Black 666M

SOLD: 2015 F80 /DCT /YMB /Full SS /CF Trim /ZEC /ZLP /HK /S&TVC- 18''///M

V2F's Yas Journal
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 07:58 PM   #14
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
CPWINCH's Avatar
United_States
257
Rep
4,333
Posts

Drives: F82 M4
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectors2final View Post
Sorry about your luck.

How were you able to pick the piano black trim? Through PIA?
thanks man. I ordered it that way
__________________
Follow my BMW instagram @CARMODIFICATION Let me know you are from bimmerpost and i'll follow back
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 08:49 PM   #15
Vectors2final
Brigadier General
Vectors2final's Avatar
United_States
816
Rep
3,175
Posts

Drives: 2018 F80 YMB/SS ZCP
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Austin, Tx

iTrader: (0)

I think I'd rather have that then the Alcantara/carbon.

I'll probably jock your style when I order. Haha
__________________
Delivered: 2018 F80 Part Deux /DCT /YMB /Full SS /CF Trim /ZCP /ZEC w/Black 666M

SOLD: 2015 F80 /DCT /YMB /Full SS /CF Trim /ZEC /ZLP /HK /S&TVC- 18''///M

V2F's Yas Journal
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 12:16 AM   #16
F32
Banned
13
Rep
688
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: SF

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc503 View Post

A brand new car is totally unreasonable for a one time failure.
Really?

If the OP purchased the car, then he can kiss his resale-value goodbye. On top of standard depreciation, you can go ahead and lop off another 25-30%. Who the hell wants to buy a used car with the engine replaced so early on? These aren't exactly rare cars, so buyers will have other options to turn to. He would have to price accordingly.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 12:22 AM   #17
Steve33
Captain
Steve33's Avatar
No_Country
28
Rep
808
Posts

Drives: 2018 SQ5
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPWINCH View Post
I agree. The problem is that my car is estoril blue, msport with piano black trim. Pretty hard to come by. So not really sure what to do at this point
Demand the first prod spot you can get and order a new one. Hit up BMWNA and see what you can do
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 02:47 AM   #18
rallybull
Major
rallybull's Avatar
United_States
102
Rep
1,015
Posts

Drives: F30 335i w/PPK
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

good for you that you did not install that JB4 yet. Had they even smelled a JB4 anywhere near the engine, you might have had to kiss your $20000 engine goodbye.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 04:43 AM   #19
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
CPWINCH's Avatar
United_States
257
Rep
4,333
Posts

Drives: F82 M4
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectors2final View Post
I think I'd rather have that then the Alcantara/carbon.

I'll probably jock your style when I order. Haha
go for it! its very subtle but ties the interior together really well

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32 View Post
Really?

If the OP purchased the car, then he can kiss his resale-value goodbye. On top of standard depreciation, you can go ahead and lop off another 25-30%. Who the hell wants to buy a used car with the engine replaced so early on? These aren't exactly rare cars, so buyers will have other options to turn to. He would have to price accordingly.
exactly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve33 View Post
Demand the first prod spot you can get and order a new one. Hit up BMWNA and see what you can do
i talked to bmwna. Sorting it out currently. I believe I am getting a new car

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallybull View Post
good for you that you did not install that JB4 yet. Had they even smelled a JB4 anywhere near the engine, you might have had to kiss your $20000 engine goodbye.
meh. My last car was FBO and brought it in to many dealer like that everytime. I have a good relationship with my SA, so before reporting to bmwna he would tell me to uninstall everything
__________________
Follow my BMW instagram @CARMODIFICATION Let me know you are from bimmerpost and i'll follow back
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 09:51 AM   #20
dc503
Second Lieutenant
78
Rep
286
Posts

Drives: 340i
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ashburn, VA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32 View Post
Really?

If the OP purchased the car, then he can kiss his resale-value goodbye. On top of standard depreciation, you can go ahead and lop off another 25-30%. Who the hell wants to buy a used car with the engine replaced so early on? These aren't exactly rare cars, so buyers will have other options to turn to. He would have to price accordingly.
Yes, really. I'm sorry that this is the scenario, but when is having resale value a guarantee when buying a car? It's not and the warranty is serving its purpose.
__________________
2016 340i

Last edited by dc503; 08-01-2013 at 09:58 AM.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 10:59 AM   #21
roundel335
Major General
roundel335's Avatar
United_States
565
Rep
5,640
Posts

Drives: 13 335i Sedan, 16 228i Cabrio
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Leland, NC

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc503 View Post
Yes, really. I'm sorry that this is the scenario, but when is having resale value a guarantee when buying a car? It's not and the warranty is serving its purpose.
It sure as hell is when you lease one - and, if the car's engine craps out with less than 1,000 miles on it, a replacement is the right thing to do. Otherwise, if the car's residual or resale value drops because of extensive repairs that are not the fault of the owner but caused by manufacturing defects, a customer is lost and potentially hundreds of others. Surely BMW NA knows this, even if the dealership doesn't.
__________________

2013 F30 335i M-Sport 8AT/MPE/MPPK, 2016 228i M-Sport Cabrio 8AT
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 11:18 AM   #22
Dinh335
Major
315
Rep
1,129
Posts

Drives: 2004 RX8/2015 M3/2017 X5 35i
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Arlington VA

iTrader: (0)

Sorry for your luck man. I think you have grounds for demanding a new car.. , also, if anything, make sure the engine is a new engine and not 'refurbished'.

A lot of times engine replacements by manufacturer under warranty doesn't mean you get a brand spanking new engine off the plant.
__________________
2015 Tanzanite Blue M3 /19 silver/exec/SS full leather/hk/cams/6speed_Wife 2017 x5 xdrive 35i
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:05 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST