F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Boot/trunk mechanism issues F36
Studio RSR

04-21-2017, 03:38 AM   #1
nickf36
Registered
Rep
Drives: 430d GC MSport

Boot/trunk mechanism issues F36

Hey all,

First post and 1st problem

Has anyone heard of an issue where the mechanism for the remote boot opening gets stuck?

50% of the time I press the button on my key the boot unlocks and opens an inch, then sometimes it will creep up and open, sometimes it will stay there (and I have to push it closed) and sometimes it just opens normally.

Any thoughts or fixes would be greatly appreciated!

Nick

Last edited by nickf36; 04-21-2017 at 09:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 08:45 AM   #2
axis
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 430i Gran Coupe

I know this is an old post, but my wife's new 2019 is having the same problem. Sometimes the remote hatch opening works fine, other times it unlocks but doesn't lift or close. I can manually lift it open and manually close it, but I shouldn't have to do that. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, how was it resolved? I know I could take it back to the dealer but they aren't super close to me so if it's an easy fix I would love to do it myself.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 02:56 PM   #3
cruisn76
Registered
Rep
Drives: F36 430i X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
I know this is an old post, but my wife's new 2019 is having the same problem. Sometimes the remote hatch opening works fine, other times it unlocks but doesn't lift or close. I can manually lift it open and manually close it, but I shouldn't have to do that. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, how was it resolved? I know I could take it back to the dealer but they aren't super close to me so if it's an easy fix I would love to do it myself.
Two things I have found with my F36, if you put a little bit of grease on the soft rubber seal it will not stick as easily. Second, there are two small knobs on the trunk lid that can be adjusted to give the trunk more pop when you engage the trunk release.

I originally adjusted the two knobs and it worked for a while but then during the summer months the rubber seal was sticking to the frame and you can hear it peeling sound when the hatch lock was releasing.

Try the two options and report back. I have been trouble free after this.

Oh, I did take my car to dealer and they said they reset something for the trunk. That did squat
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 03:04 PM   #4
axis
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisn76 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
Two things I have found with my F36, if you put a little bit of grease on the soft rubber seal it will not stick as easily. Second, there are two small knobs on the trunk lid that can be adjusted to give the trunk more pop when you engage the trunk release.

I originally adjusted the two knobs and it worked for a while but then during the summer months the rubber seal was sticking to the frame and you can hear it peeling sound when the hatch lock was releasing.

Try the two options and report back. I have been trouble free after this.

Oh, I did take my car to dealer and they said they reset something for the trunk. That did squat
Cool I appreciate the tips, I'll definitely check those things. Since I posted this I charged the car's battery and the problem is occurring much less frequently so I am wondering if the voltage may have been a tad low which compounded the issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 08:46 AM   #5
Fthree6mafia
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 435i Gran Coupe M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickf36 View Post
Hey all,

First post and 1st problem

Has anyone heard of an issue where the mechanism for the remote boot opening gets stuck?

50% of the time I press the button on my key the boot unlocks and opens an inch, then sometimes it will creep up and open, sometimes it will stay there (and I have to push it closed) and sometimes it just opens normally.

Any thoughts or fixes would be greatly appreciated!

Nick
Not sure if there is something physically wrong like the other post mentioned, but to me it sounds like it just needs to be reset. I had this issue when I first bought my car; see my post about it here:

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=23146768
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2019, 07:34 AM   #6
axis
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fthree6mafia View Post
Not sure if there is something physically wrong like the other post mentioned, but to me it sounds like it just needs to be reset. I had this issue when I first bought my car; see my post about it here:

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=23146768
Thanks, I actually found your post when I was searching before and thought that may be the case. However, I have been coding some things with bimmercode and a couple things I did were for the hatch, so I think that ECU had already been reset, and it was still occurring.

Here's what I did to (I THINK!!) finally fix it...

While messing around with it a couple days ago, I noticed that the right side of the hatch lid, when closed, was slightly higher than the left side. It wasn't quite flush with the rest of the car at the seam. I tried adjusting those rubber stops to no avail. I even loosened the stop on the side of the hatch (2 T40 Torx bolts) and adjusted that where it should have allowed more closing room, and it was still not flush on the right side. While opening and closing the hatch over and over during all my testing, I noticed that it seemed the latch mechanism was pulling the hatch to the right slightly when it closed all the way. I looked at the locking part from the top, and it didn't look centered. I popped off the two circular plastic covers, used a 13mm socket, and adjusted the latch over to the left side a bit until it looked like it was in the middle. I tested again, and it looked much better. The right side of the hatch was finally flush, and it didn't pull to either side when it closed.

I put the rubber stops back to where they were initially, and did a bunch more tests. So far, it has worked every time. I think it was the latch mechanism not being centered that was causing the problem. It wasn't off by much, but it must have been causing the hatch to release unevenly or something which stopped the auto open from engaging.

TLDR - I think I fixed it by adjusting the latch mechanism slightly.

-Update -

No problems all weekend, so it looks like adjusting the latch did the trick.

Last edited by axis; 04-29-2019 at 05:29 PM.. Reason: Update
Appreciate 0