F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > BMW F30/F31 Xenon retrofit
ARMA SPEED

02-03-2014, 12:44 PM   #133
kapkanimd
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Competition Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mougwai View Post
I did the installation of the two levels sensor wired to the ICM, no more error from ICM, we can monitor value with INPA.

Now, i have error from the FEM, , FEM cannot give the correct position of the headlight, it seems that it is an issue with the LIN.. i do not undestand, i correctly wired the LIN bus to the FEM: i will check again the wiring !

I tryed to calibrate sensor with inpa, but calibration failed due to bad value from FEM...

So maybe my headlight module are defect...
I wish I could help, but you seem to know more information than me. Is INPA the only way to calibrate. I am still working on finding which errors I am having.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 05:49 PM   #134
mougwai
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 320I

You can calibrate with ISTAP, or maybe ISTAD... i prefere INPA, very very fast and you do not lost your time

I checked my wring and all are ok ! i do not undestand,

I am using ICOM with INPA for FXX, and E-SYS for coding.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 04:06 PM   #135
mougwai
Private
Rep

today we retrofited xenon headlight in a BMW F20 car with halogen light..

the wiring is exactly the same... but shutter remote does not work !!

So we cannot get high beam light working !

lowbeam / led are working correctly.

For F20, the FEM need to be changed.

I think it is the same case for F30 car ! even if the shutter work correctly, the fem is not able to manage range control from the headlight :

0xD90D16 operating unit light (BEL ), ( LIN): wrong version installed
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 11:37 AM   #136
kapkanimd
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You can calibrate with ISTAP, or maybe ISTAD... i prefere INPA, very very fast and you do not lost your time

I checked my wring and all are ok ! i do not undestand,

I am using ICOM with INPA for FXX, and E-SYS for coding.
Any update on getting the leveler's to function? I do currently have access to ISTAP, ISTAD or INPA.. I still haven't had the change to read the errors yet as I haven't been able to get the software working.

The only thing I can imagine is we are missing a connection between the FEM and the ICM..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 02:45 PM   #137
mougwai
Private
Rep

ICM is wired to the FEM using Flexray bus...you do not need to add any wire to ICM, only for the ride sensors.

FEM is connected to the two headlight module via bus lin, but FEM for halogen car does not support LIN for xenon, it is an hardware limitation!

See the error from inpa:

* LIN Master Q: No communication
* operating unit light (BEL ), ( LIN): wrong version installed

My two ride sensor are connected to the ICM, and ICM see them correctly, i can see voltage value of sensor ride.

I ordered a new FEM from my BMW dealer, i hope i will be able to setup it... because FEM is also CAS (protection of the car), need to initialize key remote...

Last edited by mougwai; 02-10-2014 at 02:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 05:20 PM   #138
kapkanimd
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
ICM is wired to the FEM using Flexray bus...you do not need to add any wire to ICM, only for the ride sensors.

FEM is connected to the two headlight module via bus lin, but FEM for halogen car does not support LIN for xenon, it is an hardware limitation!

See the error from inpa:

My two ride sensor are connected to the ICM, and ICM see them correctly, i can see voltage value of sensor ride.

I ordered a new FEM from my BMW dealer, i hope i will be able to setup it... because FEM is also CAS (protection of the car), need to initialize key remote...
Not sure exactly what you are saying, but you definitely sound like you know more than me. I just know in my research there weren't different part numbers for FEM modules based on lights. ..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 02:41 AM   #139
mougwai
Private
Rep

yes, sure, FEM has the same part number in etka, there are no filter for options... you can see the same thing for REM module, no filter for options: but i changed REM in order to retrofit PDC 508

I ordered today latest FEM 7.1: i will keep you informed because i have an another problem, i tryed to replaced my basic cluster to the extended cluster 6WA, and I am not able to see the new cluster with INPA: my FEM is not able to handle new cluster 6WA
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 04:30 PM   #140
Sherhart
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Vert & 2015 RR Sport

As much as I'd like to replace the halogens, this thread is proof that this mod is way over my technical ability.

Good luck guys.

Jimbo
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 05:42 PM   #141
Tothepoint
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherhart View Post
As much as I'd like to replace the halogens, this thread is proof that this mod is way over my technical ability.

Good luck guys.

Jimbo
Exactly just reading some of the terminology I'm
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 11:38 AM   #142
kapkanimd
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZBMR View Post
Exactly just reading some of the terminology I'm
Just changing out the headlights it is really not that bad at all, this thread is a little more technical and was started before it had actually been done to figure out how to do it.

Here is my thread for people to avoid looking through all of this:

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938803

I wouldn't recommend doing the autoleveling sensors at the moment until we can figure out how to get them working correctly.

Other than that, the DIY is pretty easy to follow. Shouldn't take longer than 2 to 3hrs if you take your time.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 09:12 AM   #143
kapkanimd
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

See the error from inpa:

Any update?

I went to the dealer for something else, and they reprogrammed my entire car. For some reason though, they did not recognize the newly added xenon VO codes and there were no problems in that regards, which was awesome. However, when they reprogrammed, it changed my coding which eliminated my turning off of the autoleveling sensors and it threw the same code for malfunction of the sensors.

There report said:

Connected battery charger and performed short test. Found faults for ride height sensor adjustment. Performed ride height sensor calibration, fault remained.

They called me saying they were going to have to keep the car to diagnose properly, but I told them I needed my car back then and they said that was fine. I did not want to risk them noticing I did retrofit. If I cannot get it fixed myself, I will clean up the install to make it as factory as humanly possible. Then will take it to them and maybe try to talk to the tech before hand.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 08:56 PM   #144
mougwai
Private
Rep

I replaced my FEM by a FEM MAX and i still get the same error

I am actually retrofiting other part in my car (HUD, round vision...), for now , i do not have time to investigate more !

There is maybe something missing for communication, between module in headlight and FEM.

Did you checked that the headlight are moving with ignition & light on ?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 08:59 PM   #145
kapkanimd
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I replaced my FEM by a FEM MAX and i still get the same error

I am actually retrofiting other part in my car (HUD, round vision...), for now , i do not have time to investigate more !

There is maybe something missing for communication, between module in headlight and FEM.

Did you checked that the headlight are moving with ignition & light on ?
The wiring from the headlight to the FEM are all accounted for, there are no pins left to fill. The only thing I can think of is something between the ICM and FEM or a certain software/programming set up that needs to be done...

I do not have access to wiring diagrams (ISTA, etc.) to figure out what could be missing... If you figure anything out let me know.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 09:09 PM   #146
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherhart View Post

Good luck guys.

Jimbo
Haha, seriously! This x10000

Past: 2014 Black 320i | Sport Pkg | BMS Stage 1
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 04:25 PM   #147
mougwai
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapkanimd View Post
The wiring from the headlight to the FEM are all accounted for, there are no pins left to fill. The only thing I can think of is something between the ICM and FEM or a certain software/programming set up that needs to be done...

I do not have access to wiring diagrams (ISTA, etc.) to figure out what could be missing... If you figure anything out let me know.
Yes, you are right about wiring for headlight !

Wiring between fem and icm is flexray bus ! see documentation from ISTA: (no more wiring to do too)

I think that FEM need to be initialise in order to understand message from ICM through Flexeray bus.

Today i set up my new roof module (i retrofited alarm 302), and I found any setup in ISTA to calibrate sensor for ICM and there is a procedure for flexray bus: i will try tomorow, and kep you informed.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 10:18 AM   #148
F30EDR
Private
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapkanimd View Post
Any update?

I went to the dealer for something else, and they reprogrammed my entire car. For some reason though, they did not recognize the newly added xenon VO codes and there were no problems in that regards, which was awesome. However, when they reprogrammed, it changed my coding which eliminated my turning off of the autoleveling sensors and it threw the same code for malfunction of the sensors.

There report said:

Connected battery charger and performed short test. Found faults for ride height sensor adjustment. Performed ride height sensor calibration, fault remained.

They called me saying they were going to have to keep the car to diagnose properly, but I told them I needed my car back then and they said that was fine. I did not want to risk them noticing I did retrofit. If I cannot get it fixed myself, I will clean up the install to make it as factory as humanly possible. Then will take it to them and maybe try to talk to the tech before hand.
You are brave, sir. I would have removed the added VO and let them upgrade it, then add it again later on. As I understand it, removing the option would make the lights flicker but no error. Besides, dealership always turns the light off anyway, at least in all dealership I've been in the past few years.

Were they able to correct the error though?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 12:28 PM   #149
kapkanimd
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30EDR View Post
You are brave, sir. I would have removed the added VO and let them upgrade it, then add it again later on. As I understand it, removing the option would make the lights flicker but no error. Besides, dealership always turns the light off anyway, at least in all dealership I've been in the past few years.

Were they able to correct the error though?
No, there are actually multiple errors with the VO coded as regular halogens. No they didn't correct the error because I told them not to as I didn't want them to discover I put it in.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 05:36 PM   #150
mougwai
Private
Rep

I did some tests on a car with Xenon OEM, and the only differences are on the headlight height (hoenstand):

My value are outside the range, so ICM is not able to calibrate the headlight.

In the car with OEM xenon, value are in the good range .. I do not undestand !

It seems that ICM is not able to compute the height.. i believe that ICM should be replaced by a ICM high
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 07:08 PM   #151
kapkanimd
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I did some tests on a car with Xenon OEM, and the only differences are on the headlight height (hoenstand):

My value are outside the range, so ICM is not able to calibrate the headlight.

In the car with OEM xenon, value are in the good range .. I do not undestand !

It seems that ICM is not able to compute the height.. i believe that ICM should be replaced by a ICM high
To me it seems like there has to be a way to calibrate the FEM via software.. any way you can read the values while you manipulate the levers to see if the FEM value changes?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 09:22 AM   #152
kapkanimd
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smercki View Post
After installation it is essential to calibrate the sensors with istap
do not work otherwise
Have you successfully done this?

The dealership said they performed calibration and it didn't work. Also mougwai said he did as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 06:05 PM   #153
mougwai
Private
Rep

I did the calibration with ISTA P:

problem is, there still have error in ICM, height headlight ajustement is not correct...
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 10:02 PM   #154
vithy
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F30 328xi

Hi,

Did you guys have to replace the FEM module in order to do this retrofit? Can you confirm there is actually a FEM MAX/HIGH for the F30? I keep looking at etk and it seems there is 4 different versions of FEM, but not mention of MAX/HIGH. I'm attempting a KOMBI_MID retrofit, and i was told I might need FEM upgrade. But I cant seem to find any evidence of FEM High. I even compared FEM module hardware version between mine and a friends car with Xenon and KOMBI_MID, they all seem the same.

Thanks
Appreciate 0