F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > BMW F30/F31 Xenon retrofit
GetBMWParts

03-12-2014, 10:03 PM   #155
kapkanimd
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Competition Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by vithy View Post
Hi,

Did you guys have to replace the FEM module in order to do this retrofit? Can you confirm there is actually a FEM MAX/HIGH for the F30? I keep looking at etk and it seems there is 4 different versions of FEM, but not mention of MAX/HIGH. I'm attempting a KOMBI_MID retrofit, and i was told I might need FEM upgrade. But I cant seem to find any evidence of FEM High. I even compared FEM module hardware version between mine and a friends car with Xenon and KOMBI_MID, they all seem the same.

Thanks
Absolutely not necessary to change fem for this retrofit.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 10:13 PM   #156
vithy
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F30 328xi

Cool. Thanks for that information. That makes sense. I dont think there is any new FEM MAX/HIGH available. Just the hardware revisions as D5, D6, D7.1 and D7.4 according to etk.

When you took the car to dealer for programming, did you put back the factory FA? If so did you have SVT targets updated on VCM so the modules get registered on VCM?

Thanks again.
Vithy
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 10:54 PM   #157
kapkanimd
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Cool. Thanks for that information. That makes sense. I dont think there is any new FEM MAX/HIGH available. Just the hardware revisions as D5, D6, D7.1 and D7.4 according to etk.

When you took the car to dealer for programming, did you put back the factory FA? If so did you have SVT targets updated on VCM so the modules get registered on VCM?

Thanks again.
Vithy
I took the car exactly as it sits now (xenon and adaptive headlights added to the options) but with the auto level sensors coded off so they did not see the error.

Not sure what you mean by the rest. I'm not a coding expert. When they reprogrammed my car, they did so using the options I added as if they could not tell they were added after. This did reset the extra coding that I did to turn off the auto level sensors so the error popped up after they reprogrammed. I told them I did not have time for them to diagnose the error and took my car home. They did try calibrating the sensors, which they didn't say failed, but said the error remained.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 11:22 PM   #158
vithy
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Ok, so when you got the car back from programming they wrote back the original VO to the car?

I have a theory, where you would update not just your VO, but also your VCM (main ECU) with whatever additional ECU's you have added and write that back to the VCM. So when you take back your car, they will load the SVT (ECU's) from VCM.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 08:09 PM   #159
kapkanimd
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ok, so when you got the car back from programming they wrote back the original VO to the car?

I have a theory, where you would update not just your VO, but also your VCM (main ECU) with whatever additional ECU's you have added and write that back to the VCM. So when you take back your car, they will load the SVT (ECU's) from VCM.
No, they reprogrammed each ECU using the VO that I programmed (ie. after I added the VO for the new headlight). If they had programmed it back to the VO based on the VIN it would have erased these and caused a bunch of errors.

Not sure what you mean by the rest. I didn't add any ECUs, just option codes. Again I am not an expert just saying what I know. I cant go into any more detail than this.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 10:51 PM   #160
vithy
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

kapkanimd, Thank you. Just wanted to confirm if they used FA/SVT Tree. I think I understand now.

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 04:17 PM   #161
mougwai
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 320I

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapkanimd View Post
Absolutely not necessary to change fem for this retrofit.
I did it in a F20 with fem low, because, fem low does not support shutter remote (bi xenon).

in a F30, it is actually supported, fem is mid version with shutter remote

i ordered a ICM high, in order to get ride sensor working, i will keep you informed.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 10:44 AM   #162
vithy
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

mougwai, Do you have the part numbers for the FEM low you have and the FEM mid? I have been looking at etk, and I only saw Hardware revisions on them. Such as D5, D6, D7.1 and D7.4. Very curious to find out.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 04:48 PM   #163
mougwai
Private
Rep

Quote:
mougwai, Do you have the part numbers for the FEM low you have and the FEM mid? I have been looking at etk, and I only saw Hardware revisions on them. Such as D5, D6, D7.1 and D7.4. Very curious to find out.

Thanks
I took picture for my MID and MAX version.

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 03:13 PM   #164
Belinskii
Rep
Drives: F20 116

Greetings! about the work of automatic leveling headlights. I do not have accurate information, but we at xenon retrofit on f20/f30 further change the headlamp switch to the appropriate 3,4,7,8. maybe the problem is really in it?

Last edited by Belinskii; 04-17-2014 at 03:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 02:37 PM   #165
Belinskii
Rep

today did retrofit headlights on f20, just say that everything works (flap bi xenon work), all exactly the same as on the F30. after installing the lights, headlights required driver initialization, I did it with "BMW Rheingold" (replacement insta \ d). after reading the error appeared "mismatch control unit headlights." (as I wrote the post above, it is necessary to change this unit). I rationalized scheme DoNi to save time and contacts and will buy only big Clem and rubber seal.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 03:34 PM   #166
mougwai
Private
Rep

good news, I replaced my xenon (522) by the dynamic version(524)... and dynamic headlight work as expected, xenon light turn when turning steering wheel: fog light works too while driving with slow speed.

There is no error on Idrive coded normaly.

In my last retrofit with normal xenon 522, i got only the problem the height headlight ajustement... with 524 the problem still there: ICM error is not able to manage the height headlight ajustement: i am working on it, maybe ICM is the problem...

Don't forget, i replaced my fem by a fem max, and added ride sensor (front and rear) that's why AHL work as aspected.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 04:19 PM   #167
Belinskii
Rep

backlight turns fog light can be encoded on a not adaptive xenon (and even halogen), provided if there is a light sensor. backlight will switch control unit light "auto".

Adaptive Headlights (fog light)
FEM | 3062 | MAPPING_abbiegel_L_output | nsw_l
FEM | 3062 | MAPPING_abbiegel_R_output | nsw_r
FEM | 3066 | KL_ENABLE_LI | KL_Ein
FEM | 3066 | KL_ENABLE_RE | KL_Ein
FEM | 3073 | C_BLC_ENA | F30enable
FEM | 3073 | C_CLC_ENA | F30enable
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 04:39 PM   #168
kapkanimd
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mougwai View Post
good news, I replaced my xenon (522) by the dynamic version(524)... and dynamic headlight work as expected, xenon light turn when turning steering wheel: fog light works too while driving with slow speed.

There is no error on Idrive coded normaly.

In my last retrofit with normal xenon 522, i got only the problem the height headlight ajustement... with 524 the problem still there: ICM error is not able to manage the height headlight ajustement: i am working on it, maybe ICM is the problem...

Don't forget, i replaced my fem by a fem max, and added ride sensor (front and rear) that's why AHL work as aspected.
I have not changed my FEM and my adaptive headlights have worked the whole time, except for the ride sensors. that should have had no effect regarding that. coding 524 is required though for adaptive lights and should have been done to begin with if you had adaptive lights installed.

I am trying some coding tonight to see if I can get the autoleveling sensors working and will report back later.

EDIT: Maybe I am misunderstanding you, are you saying you are not getting an autoleveling error at all with your latest retrofit on an F30?

Last edited by kapkanimd; 04-19-2014 at 05:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 05:28 PM   #169
mougwai
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belinskii View Post
backlight turns fog light can be encoded on a not adaptive xenon (and even halogen), provided if there is a light sensor. backlight will switch control unit light "auto".

Adaptive Headlights (fog light)
FEM | 3062 | MAPPING_abbiegel_L_output | nsw_l
FEM | 3062 | MAPPING_abbiegel_R_output | nsw_r
FEM | 3066 | KL_ENABLE_LI | KL_Ein
FEM | 3066 | KL_ENABLE_RE | KL_Ein
FEM | 3073 | C_BLC_ENA | F30enable
FEM | 3073 | C_CLC_ENA | F30enable
Great !

Quote:
I have not changed my FEM and my adaptive headlights have worked the whole time, except for the ride sensors. that should have had no effect regarding that. coding 524 is required though for adaptive lights and should have been done to begin with if you had adaptive lights installed.

I am trying some coding tonight to see if I can get the autoleveling sensors working and will report back later.
Great ! in my case, I changed my FEM not for xenon but for my new cluster 6WA for HUD...

Do you have any error on Idrive ?

So, now, we need a solution to get headlight vertical ajustement working, and retrofit will be done 100%
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 05:37 PM   #170
mougwai
Private
Rep

Quote:
today did retrofit headlights on f20, just say that everything works (flap bi xenon work), all exactly the same as on the F30.
I did it on a F20 2013 June 114D, and flap bi xenon did not work... changing FEM solve the problem.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 09:32 AM   #171
mougwai
Private
Rep

Congratulation, Ride sensore height is now calibrated :

Job can be done only with ISTA D, you can ask your bmw dealer...

the vertical autoleveling is now working as expected, and no more error from ICM.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 10:27 AM   #172
kapkanimd
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Hey guys, I think the calibration is not my issue. I just ran INPA and found that one of my sensors is not functioning or reading correctly. It is different then the results mougwai originally came up with before he calibrated his. Please see the image and help me determine which sensor it is so I can try and figure out what is wrong. Thanks in advance.

I am also not saying that calibration with ISTA is not required, I actually took it to the dealer before who tried calibrating it so maybe they did so, but my sensor was still bad at that time. However, given the results of this test, it looks like it is readying properly at the ICM level, but that one sensor is not reading at the FEM... Or does the 0.00 reading mean it is not getting signal? Not sure what to make of it.

EDIT: I have found that VL is for the front sensor, and HL is for the rear (V = Vor (In front) and H = Hinter (behind)). So I am having an issue with my rear sensor, however I cannot tell if it is the sensor itself or the wiring from the sensor to the ICM. Can someone help me figure this out?

Last edited by kapkanimd; 04-21-2014 at 10:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 10:31 AM   #173
Belinskii
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mougwai View Post
Congratulation, Ride sensore height is now calibrated :

Job can be done only with ISTA D, you can ask your bmw dealer...

the vertical autoleveling is now working as expected, and no more error from ICM.
I understand what you're running autoleveling?
I have not set the height sensors. but today coded block icm, and I had errors height sensor (error code 480116, 48006F, 480069) incorrect voltage height sensors front and rear, and no agreement made sensors. I just D90D16 error (control panel light is the incorrect model)
So what to do coding options icm VO 522 (xenon lights) and 524 (adaptive lights (if adaptive headlights)).
So, I can not control the position corrector through insta \ d, although this can be done without height sensors (or with faulty sensors, I did have a friend at f30 with the sensor disconnected). I am increasingly convinced that we need a control panel lights without a wheel height adjustment ..

I do not know whether it is possible in this forum to spread links to the program, but if anyone need "rheingold bmw" (replacement insta \ d) I can give the link to a working version for personal messages.

Last edited by Belinskii; 04-21-2014 at 10:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 10:41 AM   #174
Belinskii
Rep

Quote:
Hey guys, I think the calibration is not my issue. I just ran INPA and found that one of my sensors is not functioning or reading correctly. It is different then the results mougwai originally came up with before he calibrated his. Please see the image and help me determine which sensor it is so I can try and figure out what is wrong. Thanks in advance.

I am also not saying that calibration with ISTA is not required, I actually took it to the dealer before who tried calibrating it so maybe they did so, but my sensor was still bad at that time. However, given the results of this test, it looks like it is readying properly at the ICM level, but that one sensor is not reading at the FEM... Or does the 0.00 reading mean it is not getting signal? Not sure what to make of it.

EDIT: I have found that VL is for the front sensor, and HL is for the rear (V = Vor (In front) and H = Hinter (behind)). So I am having an issue with my rear sensor, however I cannot tell if it is the sensor itself or the wiring from the sensor to the ICM. Can someone help me figure this out?
sensor does not work where 0 volts, check the voltage in the sensor board itself (possibly faulty wiring). there should be about 5 volts.

Last edited by Belinskii; 04-21-2014 at 10:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 10:44 AM   #175
kapkanimd
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
sensor does not work where 0 volts, check the voltage in the sensor board itself. there should be about 5 volts.
The last reading is the supply voltage, which reads 5.12. Not sure what the middle one is reading/ How what I check it manually?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 10:54 AM   #176
Belinskii
Rep

Quote:

Supply Voltage: 4.5-5.5 In
*Output voltage at the output of the sensor failure voltage: max. 2%
*Output voltage at the output of the sensor wire breakage at the gnd: min 98%

Quote:
The last reading is the supply voltage, which reads 5.12. Not sure what the middle one is reading/ How what I check it manually?
yes you need to check the values ​​manually, the contacts of the sensor Pin 1 (-) or 5 (+). 5.12 volts is the voltage on the block icm.

Last edited by Belinskii; 04-21-2014 at 11:09 AM..
Appreciate 0