F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > M Sport Performance Suspension - Labor hours
GetBMWParts

03-10-2013, 08:42 PM   #331
buildbright
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
The front drop is much more noticeable, which is nice and looks good too.

Can you distinctly notice/feel quicker transition in handling?
How does the damping feel in a hard corner that has bumps and ripples?
In my 335i Msport with adaptive the car takes a nice set, but if the bumps and ripples are heavy sometimes the rear pogo's a bit and other times it feels like the rear tires skirt a tad towards the outside.
My 135i would also do this a bit but not as much. It had the stock sport suspension non adaptive.

I'm still considering installing the M Perf springs and keeping the adjustable dampers. I think it'll work.

What are the prices for the M Perf springs for a 335i?
How much would a performance/suspension shop charge to install new springs?

Those of you that have done the M Perf install did they use the same alignment settings as stock, or does the M Perf give new settings to use?
This is a great idea. Let me know your status. I think they said the springs are $400. I have the adaptive and am thinking about the H and R Sports. Just did my first autocross today, the car was beautiful. Two instructors commented that the car had amazing grip for being on street tires.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 05:26 PM   #332
TreDirtyFive
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

The M-Performance springs are Progressive rather than the M-Sport Linear Springs (although most pure track applications are linear)..and, while being somewhat similarly sprung, the coils are much thicker and, of course, the spring height is shorter. So, more or less, it still feels comfortable/compliant and very similar to the M-Sport in regular driving situations but the stack tightens much more dramatically on corners and is very noticeable when pushed to the limit compared to M-Sport. I'm loving mine so far!
      03-12-2013, 12:17 AM   #333
infinitigor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3C, 2010 E350

Kind of off topic, but the difference between the sport model and m sport model in terms of suspension is just the sway bars correct ?
      03-12-2013, 10:27 AM   #334
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitigor View Post
Kind of off topic, but the difference between the sport model and m sport model in terms of suspension is just the sway bars correct ?
No suspension difference at all...just the staggered wheels/tires standard and euro brake pads.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 01:36 PM   #335
Balzz
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F97 X3M

Garage List
2019 M4  [0.00]
2021 X3M  [0.00]
Somewhat related, does the non-M sport suspension come with different shocks from the standard? Wondering how they pair up with the M performance springs.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 02:53 PM   #336
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balzz View Post
Somewhat related, does the non-M sport suspension come with different shocks from the standard? Wondering how they pair up with the M performance springs.
trust me, I'm the only one here who probably tried mispairing these elements...don't.

M Performance Springs and Struts go well together.
M Sport Springs and Struts go well together.

Mix and match, and you'll get nauseous from either over or under dampening.

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 12:48 AM   #337
Balzz
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F97 X3M

Garage List
2019 M4  [0.00]
2021 X3M  [0.00]
Understood!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 09:44 AM   #338
Dinh335
Major
Rep
Drives: 2004 RX8/2015 M3/2017 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreDirtyFive View Post
The M-Performance springs are Progressive rather than the M-Sport Linear Springs (although most pure track applications are linear)..and, while being somewhat similarly sprung, the coils are much thicker and, of course, the spring height is shorter. So, more or less, it still feels comfortable/compliant and very similar to the M-Sport in regular driving situations but the stack tightens much more dramatically on corners and is very noticeable when pushed to the limit compared to M-Sport. I'm loving mine so far!
you're the first person who has said it feels comfy/very much like msport in regular driving... how are the roads in your area?

im on the fence about getting this done (well i want it, just have to make sure my kid and wife can take it)..we have crappy roads here in DC/Northern VA.
      03-13-2013, 07:47 PM   #339
bananachipz
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 Mineral Gray 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinh335 View Post
you're the first person who has said it feels comfy/very much like msport in regular driving... how are the roads in your area?

im on the fence about getting this done (well i want it, just have to make sure my kid and wife can take it)..we have crappy roads here in DC/Northern VA.
"comfy" is not how i'd describe it.. LOL

It's bumpier than sport (not much... but it is), and WAY bumpier than stock.

All that matters not, however, 'cause it corners like it's on rails
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 07:49 PM   #340
bananachipz
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 Mineral Gray 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balzz View Post
don't be a cheap-ass and buy the whole kit! DOOOO ITT!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 10:44 PM   #341
MadZarBMR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Current: '18 M3 ZCP - 6MT

Quote:
Curious about your complete setup. What wheels/tires are you on? I am definitely not feeling any resemblance to M-Sport. Even on smooth roads, the car does not sway or rock over rolling humps. The car just feels glued to the road and follows every contour. I am once again in an M-Sport this week as dealer checks alignment on mine and car definitely sways and rocks more like a "comfortable" ride - even with the same ARBs. Kind of made me a bit nauseous cuz i'm not used to it any more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananachipz View Post
"comfy" is not how i'd describe it.. LOL

It's bumpier than sport (not much... but it is), and WAY bumpier than stock.

All that matters not, however, 'cause it corners like it's on rails
^^Ditto

Quote:
...im on the fence about getting this done (well i want it, just have to make sure my kid and wife can take it)..we have crappy roads here in DC/Northern VA.
Definitely be careful with passengers in the back seat. Especially if they are tall and have limited headroom. Already gave one of my passengers a bit of a headache over a speed bump at 1 mph.

I'm thinking the difference TreDirtyFive is suggesting might be from higher profile tires. I'm on 19" 403M setup.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 04:51 PM   #342
TreDirtyFive
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadZarBMR View Post
Curious about your complete setup. What wheels/tires are you on? I am definitely not feeling any resemblance to M-Sport. Even on smooth roads, the car does not sway or rock over rolling humps. The car just feels glued to the road and follows every contour. I am once again in an M-Sport this week as dealer checks alignment on mine and car definitely sways and rocks more like a "comfortable" ride - even with the same ARBs. Kind of made me a bit nauseous cuz i'm not used to it any more.

^^Ditto

Definitely be careful with passengers in the back seat. Especially if they are tall and have limited headroom. Already gave one of my passengers a bit of a headache over a speed bump at 1 mph.

I'm thinking the difference TreDirtyFive is suggesting might be from higher profile tires. I'm on 19" 403M setup.
I am on 19s...and quite an agressive ET35 on all 4s. I was actually a little weary of bottoming out or rubbing with the wheels punched out so wide but it has been ok so far. A typical H&R or Eibach setup would definitely rub IMO with my offsets.

"So, more or less, it still feels comfortable/compliant and very similar to the M-Sport in regular driving situations"

I said similar..not the same. It has cured much of the soft forward pitching that the standard MSport setup was known for on braking (which is horrible for those on the M Performance splitter). Overall, It feels about 10% stiffer in terms of rebound accompanied with the lessened dampening but still supple enough for me considering the horrible Los Angeles streets.

The steering has also tightened up a touch as well which is welcome and, NO, it does not ride on rails (not even close) but it is much improved as far as sporty driving is concerned...this isn't a mini cooper guys and I am an avid track guy but I don't expect to track this car (meh) as I will use my other cars for these duties...but as an all around road car it's more than dynamic enough for me at the moment.
      03-14-2013, 07:49 PM   #343
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
I am on 19s...and quite an agressive ET35 on all 4s. I was actually a little weary of bottoming out or rubbing with the wheels punched out so wide but it has been ok so far. A typical H&R or Eibach setup would definitely rub IMO with my offsets.

"So, more or less, it still feels comfortable/compliant and very similar to the M-Sport in regular driving situations"

I said similar..not the same. It has cured much of the soft forward pitching that the standard MSport setup was known for on braking (which is horrible for those on the M Performance splitter). Overall, It feels about 10% stiffer in terms of rebound accompanied with the lessened dampening but still supple enough for me considering the horrible Los Angeles streets.

The steering has also tightened up a touch as well which is welcome and, NO, it does not ride on rails (not even close) but it is much improved as far as sporty driving is concerned...this isn't a mini cooper guys and I am an avid track guy but I don't expect to track this car (meh) as I will use my other cars for these duties...but as an all around road car it's more than dynamic enough for me at the moment.
TreDirtyFive I see you are in los angeles. You should be coming out to the track with us especially with that mperformance suspension mod you got going on now. Just want to see/feel the actual difference in performance over standard / sport / msport as others have these setups currently coming out.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 08:10 PM   #344
TreDirtyFive
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
TreDirtyFive I see you are in los angeles. You should be coming out to the track with us especially with that mperformance suspension mod you got going on now. Just want to see/feel the actual difference in performance over standard / sport / msport as others have these setups currently coming out.
I'm not sure if this is in jest or serious? With the LTMW crew? Ivan and Frankie?
      03-15-2013, 07:48 PM   #345
Dinh335
Major
Rep

for those calling the m performance "def more stiffer"...or "20 percent more stiff than sport" how did you feel the regular sport suspension was over bumps? cushy or semi stiff? I just want a control variable to judge..

i.e...I sort of feel regular sport suspension is pretty comfy, so 10 percent more means perfect. But that's me. So i just want to gauge those who are saying 'wow bumpy' for m performance, what your 'bumpy-ness tolerance' was before you got it.

sorry for the 20 questions, if it was just me i'd buy it...but gotta haul the fam around.
      03-15-2013, 08:27 PM   #346
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

interesting takes on the M Performance suspension...I should note all of my impressions have been on Snow Tires that are 18 inches.

I can't wait to put some summer rubber on!

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 09:19 PM   #347
MadZarBMR
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
for those calling the m performance "def more stiffer"...or "20 percent more stiff than sport" how did you feel the regular sport suspension was over bumps? cushy or semi stiff? I just want a control variable to judge..

i.e...I sort of feel regular sport suspension is pretty comfy, so 10 percent more means perfect. But that's me. So i just want to gauge those who are saying 'wow bumpy' for m performance, what your 'bumpy-ness tolerance' was before you got it.

sorry for the 20 questions, if it was just me i'd buy it...but gotta haul the fam around.
IMO - The softer dampers on Sport generally makes the road less noticeable. Bumps were really not an issue for me - even on rough roads with very porous asphalt or rough concrete were hardly noticeable (on 19" 403M setup). With M Perf, I feel a lot more of the road including all the defects. Bumps are sharp with much less dampening, but with the solid build quality of the car it is not annoying or out of control. On the plus side, the ride is much more precise and the chassis does exactly what you expect it to do without delay. Very quick and snappy. Much easier to hold lines during hard cornering with minimal correction needed. Also, on hard starts, the front does not lift as it did with sport giving a much more aggressive feel.

With enough time, I think anybody can get used to the feel. I just got back in mine today after 3 days in a Sport loaner and I felt right at home again. I said in a previous post that the Sport felt too soft and all the body movement made me nauseas at times. Loaner was just too "bouncy".
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 09:47 PM   #348
Dinh335
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadZarBMR View Post
IMO - The softer dampers on Sport generally makes the road less noticeable. Bumps were really not an issue for me - even on rough roads with very porous asphalt or rough concrete were hardly noticeable (on 19" 403M setup). With M Perf, I feel a lot more of the road including all the defects. Bumps are sharp with much less dampening, but with the solid build quality of the car it is not annoying or out of control. On the plus side, the ride is much more precise and the chassis does exactly what you expect it to do without delay. Very quick and snappy. Much easier to hold lines during hard cornering with minimal correction needed. Also, on hard starts, the front does not lift as it did with sport giving a much more aggressive feel.

With enough time, I think anybody can get used to the feel. I just got back in mine today after 3 days in a Sport loaner and I felt right at home again. I said in a previous post that the Sport felt too soft and all the body movement made me nauseas at times. Loaner was just too "bouncy".
cool...thanks. I'm starting to feel it's close to perfect then. Right now i feel the sport suspension is perfectly comfortable, but not as sporty as it could be. it's a bit soft on hard corners...the upside is it's so comfortable and balanced. if the m performance is about 10-20 stiffer than sport, it'll probably feel great , if not jarring at times, but not majority of time.
      04-12-2013, 04:18 PM   #349
335smooth
Rep
Drives: 335i

I have read this thread several times over the past month. I am close to purchasing the M performance suspension for my car, so I would like to get some updated feedback since it has been a while since this thread was last updated.

1.What is a reasonable price range for the installation costs for this suspension kit?

2. What is a reasonable amount of work time to get it installed?

I am waiting for a quote from my local dealer, but would like to get some other feedback.

I already asked an independent shop that advertises at the local BMW CCA and they have estimated a work time of 14 hours, which seems excessive.

Also any new updates from the current owners of this kit? Do you still like it ? Any regrets?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 05:43 PM   #350
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335smooth View Post
I have read this thread several times over the past month. I am close to purchasing the M performance suspension for my car, so I would like to get some updated feedback since it has been a while since this thread was last updated.

1.What is a reasonable price range for the installation costs for this suspension kit?

I am waiting for a quote from my local dealer, but would like to get some other feedback.

I already asked an independent shop that advertises at the local BMW CCA and they have estimated a work time of 14 hours, which seems excessive.

Also any new updates from the current owners of this kit? Do you still like it ? Any regrets?

Thanks.
8 hours for a non-sport line to M Perf Suspension.
Estimate around $1k.

Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 08:39 PM   #351
MadZarBMR
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335smooth View Post

Thanks.
8 hours is about right for non M-Sport. Mine was just under 7 hours with M-Sport. The only suggestion I can make is to lose the RFTs - especially if you are on 19". It will bring back some of the comfort/dampning while not sacrificing handling. I have to admit that the Goodyear RFTs I took off my car were pretty gripping and felt just fine on the M-Sport, but just too stiff with M Performance.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 07:50 PM   #352
G-Money1
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i Msport

M Performance Suspension on 328i

Hey guys, don't if its been asked.. is this available for the 328i? I have an Msport and looking to get this. All I've seen here is for 335. Thanks!
Appreciate 0