F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Steering making shoulders ache in Sport
ARMA SPEED

09-02-2014, 12:39 PM   #23
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Me too, that's why i never noticed it before! Obviously BMW think sport steering gives you more control/feel!
I have driven old 4 tonners off road and stuff, no power steering and I think my Carlton was first car with power steering.

I checked my driving mpg graph on car and looks like I don't even use comfort much.

Manual with the auto box is great lol.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 01:08 PM   #24
F30Andy
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: An Entire Fleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
Bit of a weird one this as I don't think anyone has mentioned it.
Ever since I've had the car last November I've noticed an ache from my shoulders. I been driving in Sport mode pretty much since I've had the car and obviously the steering tightens in this mode. But recently tried Comfort mode a lot more and as a result the ache seems slightly better. Trouble is a prefer driving in Sport mode and it's a shame we can't select the steering mode separately (think I need an M3!).

I don't find the wheel hard to turn and have no problems while driving the car in Sport mode and am broad shouldered. It's just afterwards and any other time of the day my damn shoulders ache.

Anyone else have this problem with Sport mode?
You are owed £100000000 from the accident you were in. You must have whiplash.

But seriously, speaking as someone whom is in comfort mode the majority of the time, I do find using sport mode for a long journey feels like a bit of a work out.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 01:48 PM   #25
MWA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AY M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
So no-one had problems with Sport mode then? Dont know why the bloody thing stiffens up anyway, its not like it provides any more feel to the steering.

I have got VSS, perhaps its that?
Sorry to hear you're having this problem, try and not think about it too much, it psychology may be playing some parts..

I have got VSS, i find the steering a little too light if the car is pushed in comfort mode, and to be quite honest I enjoy the extra weight feel of the steering in Sports, and its often why I select Sport mode. Never had an issue with it.

As others have said, try adjusting seat/steering positions, that might help.

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 03:07 PM   #26
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Thanks all for your comments.
Never heard of rotor cuff so I'll have to that look up and see what the symptoms are.
Rich, agreed about the pressure gauge and getting the tyre pressures correct, I will be ordering one of those gauges shortly as I've got a cheap Asda thing and could finally do with a decent one.
I've got ACS strings and wondering if the pressures may need a slight adjustment from the door card pressures. May do a some experimenting with this, I can always set them back to what they should be.

Also, I've moved the seat a little closer tonight so I'll see how that goes. Although I don't want to change too many things at once!

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0