F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Cbs service intervals, what is a oil change?
ARMA SPEED

05-19-2015, 10:41 AM   #1
uzi9mm
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320d

Cbs service intervals, what is a oil change?

So you car says oil change due, in plain english one would assume, I need to do a oil change. But in the BMW would its you need to change, the oil plus microfilter if nothing else. Than there is the oil plus air filter and fuel filter.

What I would like to know is at what intervals is what!

From my e90 320 n47 it was

Every oil change with microfilter
than every third oil change with microfilter, air filter and fuel filter.

Now my car has done near 22k, Ive done two oil changes! I understand short hops shorten the cbs.

My car is a 2012.

Anyone have the official list for cbs servicing.
      05-19-2015, 10:47 AM   #2
snipnoob86
Major
Rep
Drives: 335D Saloon

i dont have anything official for you, but i can assure you fuel filters are good for 50k+ air filters are good untill they are visually dirty. i had my wifes car in at vauxhall last weekend, they rang me claimig she needed new spark plugs, fuel filter, pollen filters, air con top up and oil. all this after 6500 miles. rest assured i asked them to change the oil and leave everything else. rediculous.
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2015, 11:07 AM   #3
uzi9mm
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

I know from logics that some of these filters dont need changing from 20k, but looking at the warranty point of view. Bmw will say you car wasnt serviced in accordance with our rules! My question is what are the rules, or do dealers make them up as they go along!
      05-19-2015, 11:21 AM   #4
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by uzi9mm View Post
I know from logics that some of these filters dont need changing from 20k, but looking at the warranty point of view. Bmw will say you car wasnt serviced in accordance with our rules! My question is what are the rules, or do dealers make them up as they go along!
The key reader tells them exactly what your car requires doing.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 11:49 AM   #5
uzi9mm
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
The key reader tells them exactly what your car requires doing.
Not really as I can reset my service indicators in the car, than take the car to the dealer, give them the key. It will not show that service as being required!

I have many times reset stuff which I dont want them to do! Thus when I hand them the key they know its just what it says on the dash.

They key tells them oil is due, but the oil service is open to debate, as to what is a oil service. One would assume oil and oil filter! But not in the BMW world. My question is how do they decide its time for a air filter too in the oil service.
      05-19-2015, 11:56 AM   #6
snipnoob86
Major
Rep
Drives: 335D Saloon

think ultimatly most service except oil parts come under the *preventative maintenance* rule
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 12:02 PM   #7
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Are you servicing the car yourself? If so, at 22k miles I'd imagine the pollen filter, if not already done will be added.

What does the CBS schedule in the car indicate for date and mileage?

When is your brake fluid change due?

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 12:21 PM   #8
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Not really as I can reset my service indicators in the car, than take the car to the dealer, give them the key. It will not show that service as being required!

I have many times reset stuff which I dont want them to do! Thus when I hand them the key they know its just what it says on the dash.

They key tells them oil is due, but the oil service is open to debate, as to what is a oil service. One would assume oil and oil filter! But not in the BMW world. My question is how do they decide its time for a air filter too in the oil service.
No mate, the key is like a bluetooth USB stick which stores all sorts of current information about the car! Including current mileage and even the coolant temperature when you were last in the car!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 01:17 PM   #9
tjlees
Major
England
Rep
Drives: F30 Chav Mobile

Quote:
So you car says oil change due, in plain english one would assume, I need to do a oil change. But in the BMW would its you need to change, the oil plus microfilter if nothing else. Than there is the oil plus air filter and fuel filter.

What I would like to know is at what intervals is what!

From my e90 320 n47 it was

Every oil change with microfilter
than every third oil change with microfilter, air filter and fuel filter.

Now my car has done near 22k, Ive done two oil changes! I understand short hops shorten the cbs.

My car is a 2012.

Anyone have the official list for cbs servicing.
From searching (but noting that brake fluid change is every 3 years now) ....

It has "condition based servicing" which means that the car decides when it needs servicing and puts on a light to tell you.

Assume that the service light comes on every 18k miles (which is about the figure)

18k service will consist of an oil and filter change plus a check-over. (Same for the 54k service)

36k service will consist of an oil and filter change plus all other filters (air, fuel and cabin) brake fluid change plus a check-over. (Same for ht 72k service).

There is no timing belt to be changed.

The brake pads may need changing from time to time depending on your style and another light will come on to tell you.

I have typed this from memory but I think I have covered the major items, however I am open to corrections / additions.

Also

Approximate service intervals in Europe for the F30

Oil - Every 30,000km ( 15,000miles USA) or 24 Months (USA usually does 12 months)

Microfilter - Each oil change

Engine Air Filter - every 2nd oil change

Spark plugs
- N20 328i Every oil Change ( EDIT: see below)
- N55 335i Every 2nd oil Change

Diesel engien fuel filter - every 2nd oil Change

EDIT: Asof March 2012 production NGK has upgraded their sparkplug design so N20 with teh new plugs
will only need replacement plugs every 2nd oil change.
Appreciate 0