F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW dealership won't take my lease as trade in
Extreme Powerhouse

12-21-2016, 01:05 PM   #1
knepsterd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 BSM

BMW dealership won't take my lease as trade in

A local BMW dealership here in New Jersey has a specific car I want to buy off their lot. I have a BMW leased via BMW Financial Services that I wanted to trade. I wanted to do a basic buyout and pay a few thousand of negative equity to the dealer as cash or roll it into the payment of the new car.

The GM gave me some song and dance that they don't buy back BMW Financial leased cars or take them for trade. Sounds strange since probably 99% of BMW leases are provided by BMW Financial.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 03:25 PM   #2
rantarM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

That sounds odd. Maybe your car has an open airbag recall or they just don't want it.
Appreciate 1
      12-21-2016, 03:40 PM   #3
JayRusso
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14my 320xi

Freehold pulled me forward 6 months and ate 10k miles in overages while still giving me 8% off the car. They don't need to buy it back to make a deal work. They just need to want to make it happen.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 04:04 PM   #4
Bluewater328iT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328iT

The car is owned by the leasing company, so all the dealer has to do, assuming he has plenty of used cars on his lot already, is tell the leasing company to come pick up the car. They will beg him to buy it and might sell it to him at lower than residual. That means the dealer wants to settle you out of your contract and does not want to lose any money doing that for you, especially if he does not need any more used cars.

Leasing fixes your cost. Don't assume it will cost you anything less, even if you trade it in early. Buying has fewer "gotchas" than leasing, but the monthlys are higher, so you have to keep the car longer to assure that it will work in your favor versus leasing.
      12-28-2016, 09:23 AM   #5
Bsaint
BsaintMedia.com
United_States
Rep
Drives: Collection of German

Quote:
Originally Posted by knepsterd View Post
A local BMW dealership here in New Jersey has a specific car I want to buy off their lot. I have a BMW leased via BMW Financial Services that I wanted to trade. I wanted to do a basic buyout and pay a few thousand of negative equity to the dealer as cash or roll it into the payment of the new car.

The GM gave me some song and dance that they don't buy back BMW Financial leased cars or take them for trade. Sounds strange since probably 99% of BMW leases are provided by BMW Financial.
That makes no sense.

The thing that would make sense is that it's going to be too much negative equity to absorb into the new loan and the bank won't finance it. However if you are covering the difference it shouldn't matter. I would either contact BMW USA or try another dealer.