F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > New car advice
proTUNING Freaks

03-08-2016, 03:28 PM   #1
vitriol
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M Sport

New car advice

Hi everyone

My lease is up in the next 3-4 months so time to start thinking about the next chapter.

My current ride: 2013 335/M-Sport/auto/comfort/tech/Coral Red Dakota/Black Sapphire Metallic/403m wheels.

I need to go lighter on options this time, to make a dent (however small) in the monthly payment... so I've been agonizing over which options to cut. As it is, my current setup is basically perfect for my purposes; the only thing it lacks to be absolutely perfect (for me), is a rear-view camera (and I'm definitely going with Driver Assist for my next car).

I'll definitely go with a 340... question is which options/packages.

Things I can definitely live without:
- Metallic paint

Things I *could* live without but would prefer to keep:
- M-Sport
- Leather
- Nav
- HUD
- 19" wheels

Things I won't live without:
- Driver assist
- Comfort access (fortunately this is now standard)

I'm not going to order a car, comes down to what I find on the lot here in So Cal. So realistically I'll be choosing from builds along these lines:

Non M-Sport/Tech/Driver Assist
-or-
Non M-Sport/Nav/Leather/Driver Assist
-or-
M-Sport/Driver Assist/403M

(Obviously there are lots of permutations but these are by and large what I'm finding in my target price range).

So my big dilemma is... do I pick M-Sport over Tech (or vice versa)? I love the look of the M-Sport package and my past two 335's have come so equipped. It's hard to imagine walking up to a non M-Sport car.

At the same time, I really rely on the Tech package. I use the HUD almost exclusively to manage audio/phone/monitor speed limit... and even though I used Waze primarily for navigation, I like having the map up to stay oriented.

Thoughts?

Also if I were to skip Tech (or Nav) altogether... can someone help me understand how the phone/audio is managed? Is it all via center screen or do you see info in between the tach/speedo as well (as you do with nav or tech).

THANKS in advance for your thoughts!!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 03:43 PM   #2
XRAVE
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitriol View Post
Hi everyone

My lease is up in the next 3-4 months so time to start thinking about the next chapter.

My current ride: 2013 335/M-Sport/auto/comfort/tech/Coral Red Dakota/Black Sapphire Metallic/403m wheels.

I need to go lighter on options this time, to make a dent (however small) in the monthly payment... so I've been agonizing over which options to cut. As it is, my current setup is basically perfect for my purposes; the only thing it lacks to be absolutely perfect (for me), is a rear-view camera (and I'm definitely going with Driver Assist for my next car).

- Metallic paint

- M-Sport
- Leather
- Nav
- HUD
- 19" wheels

- Driver assist

I'm not going to order a car, comes down to what I find on the lot here in So Cal. So realistically I'll be choosing from builds along these lines:

-or-
-or-

(Obviously there are lots of permutations but these are by and large what I'm finding in my target price range).

So my big dilemma is... do I pick M-Sport over Tech (or vice versa)? I love the look of the M-Sport package and my past two 335's have come so equipped. It's hard to imagine walking up to a non M-Sport car.

At the same time, I really rely on the Tech package. I use the HUD almost exclusively to manage audio/phone/monitor speed limit... and even though I used Waze primarily for navigation, I like having the map up to stay oriented.

Thoughts?

Also if I were to skip Tech (or Nav) altogether... can someone help me understand how the phone/audio is managed? Is it all via center screen or do you see info in between the tach/speedo as well (as you do with nav or tech).

Personally I would keep,

-M Sport
-Nav

Get rid of,

-leather
-Get the grey 18 inch with the track handling package
-No need for HUD

You really don't need the NAV as it is expensive but I like the bigger screen and the addition on the instrument cluster. Dakota leather isn't that great, only reason I got it is because I want red but I would get red fake leather if I could. Can't go wrong with the 18 inch grey wheels. Personally have never liked the HUD. M package I think is mandatory, makes it looks like a real sports car inside and out. If I had to choose only 1 option it would be the m that.

You should be able to shed a couple grand if you do that! Good luck.
Current 2020 X7 50i
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 03:57 PM   #3
vitriol
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRAVE View Post
Personally I would keep,

-M Sport
-Nav

Get rid of,

-leather
-Get the grey 18 inch with the track handling package
-No need for HUD

You really don't need the NAV as it is expensive but I like the bigger screen and the addition on the instrument cluster. Dakota leather isn't that great, only reason I got it is because I want red but I would get red fake leather if I could. Can't go wrong with the 18 inch grey wheels. Personally have never liked the HUD. M package I think is mandatory, makes it looks like a real sports car inside and out. If I had to choose only 1 option it would be the m that.

You should be able to shed a couple grand if you do that! Good luck.
Great advice here, thanks!

I like the bigger screen too. Agree it's not worth nearly $2k... on the other hand, I'd CONSTANTLY be reminded of the fact that I didn't get NAV/TECH, every time I look at the smaller screen. I'm sure it's just me but that may just drive me nuts.

Agree the Dakota isn't that great, but like you I love the red seats. But yeah, if I have to go with SensaTec, I will.

Can you get those gray 18" wheels WITHOUT the track pkg? In any case, I haven't seen a car on the lot so equipped...

Another note... from what I've seen, it's pretty rare to find an M-Sport car WITHOUT the 19" wheels, kind of like adding a mandatory $900 option on top of the M-Sport package...
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 04:10 PM   #4
XRAVE
Rep

Quote:
Great advice here, thanks!

I like the bigger screen too. Agree it's not worth nearly $2k... on the other hand, I'd CONSTANTLY be reminded of the fact that I didn't get NAV/TECH, every time I look at the smaller screen. I'm sure it's just me but that may just drive me nuts.

Agree the Dakota isn't that great, but like you I love the red seats. But yeah, if I have to go with SensaTec, I will.

Can you get those gray 18" wheels WITHOUT the track pkg? In any case, I haven't seen a car on the lot so equipped...

Another note... from what I've seen, it's pretty rare to find an M-Sport car WITHOUT the 19" wheels, kind of like adding a mandatory $900 option on top of the M-Sport package...
Well you have 3-4 months so I would recommend ordering a car. Dealers normally order fully loaded cars.

It's not possible to get the 18 inch without the track handling
Current 2020 X7 50i
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 05:17 PM   #5
drp087
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 BMW M2C

From my experience "downgrading" can be pretty annoying long term especially if you do alot of "purposeful" driving. By that I mean if you use it for work, driving against the clock for meetings/appointments, going to new unfamiliar locations daily, or even a canyon run on the weekends. These all require a certain aspect of the car we are paying 50k+ for, and i see it as an "investment" for convenience and efficiency for things we do on a daily basis. If you use your car only to get from point A to point B, and for grocery shopping, by no means do you need any of the options listed above.

To be more specific, my downgrade resulted in losing keyless entry, navigation. Things I thought I wouldn't need. I now regret not paying the extra few bucks a month for the lease to get these options. Navi and tech package is a small difference in price- If you rely on the HUD that much, you will regret it.

Given that, I think there are other options in trying to meet your budget. You can look for a 2016 335i with all those packages and get a bigger discount on it in the following months, especially in Socal. Or even buy out your current vehicle.
      03-08-2016, 07:15 PM   #6
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

I would order it otherwise it'll have extra options

- M-Sport - 3 grand & only sport suspension makes car faster

- Leather- definitely worth it, the fake leather smells bad, feels funny, has disgusting stuff all over it

- Nav ? Why by navigation when it's worse than the current iPhone? Oh for the split screen. That would be the only reason

- HUD? United States that's part of the nav. It only shows speed, no RPM, no gear, not customizable

- 19" wheels ? These look awesome.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 07:28 PM   #7
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Hi everyone

- Metallic paint

- M-Sport
- Leather
- Nav
- HUD
- 19" wheels

- Driver assist

-or-
-or-

Thoughts?

Order through European Delivery and use the money you save to get exactly what you want. Use frequent flyer miles to get to/from Munich. Have fun.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 07:55 PM   #8
alex2364
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP / 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
How much do you honestly expect to save by not getting $3000 in options, especially when you're leasing? If you really want to save, get a 328i.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 08:41 PM   #9
XRAVE
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2364
How much do you honestly expect to save by not getting $3000 in options, especially when you're leasing? If you really want to save, get a 328i.
40$ a month? (1500$ or so) 328i similarly optioned is not much cheaper. You have to remember what comes standard on a 340i that he wants.
Current 2020 X7 50i
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 08:42 PM   #10
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Doesn't the non m sport / non track handling package come with non sport suspension? That wouldn't work out for me personally.

My previous '13 335 had tech package, sportline, HK stereo as the options, and that's a solid "stripped down" configuration in my opinion.

From your list and my experience
- Leather
- HUD
- 19" wheels

are easy things to drop, but not sure how much $ that really saves you.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 08:54 PM   #11
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

The M sport package and navigation/hud in United States run ~five grand. That's a pretty good chunk of change.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 11:21 PM   #12
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
The M sport package and navigation/hud in United States run ~five grand. That's a pretty good chunk of change.
If OP is leasing a $5k difference in MSRP is about $50/mo difference assuming 62% residual, 0.0013 base MF (0.00081 with max msd) and cap cost equal to $500 over US invoice price, which is why I made the comment "not sure how much $ that really saves you"

Granted, most of us have budgets, and at some point that last $50 is the difference between over and under budget, so who is to say what is "a lot"
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2016, 11:26 PM   #13
XRAVE
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
If OP is leasing a $5k difference in MSRP is about $50/mo difference assuming 62% residual, 0.0013 base MF (0.00081 with max msd) and cap cost equal to $500 over US invoice price, which is why I made the comment "not sure how much $ that really saves you"

Granted, most of us have budgets, and at some point that last $50 is the difference between over and under budget, so who is to say what is "a lot"
Those aren't even current lease numbers. 2000$ isn't nothing or little. The OP asked how we can help him save money and your here mentioning on how you don't save much.

Like I said in the previous post. A similarly optioned 328i isn't much less that a 340i. It's like 3-5k difference, so with your logic, everyone should get a 340i since it's only 50$
Current 2020 X7 50i
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 09:16 AM   #14
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Hi everyone

- Metallic paint

- M-Sport
- Leather
- Nav
- HUD
- 19" wheels

- Driver assist

-or-
-or-

Thoughts?

It's your car--you have to live with your choices, not us. You have just outlined what you can and can't live with.

If you want to see how the phone integrates with a non-nav car, why not just go down to the dealer, have them put you in a model on the lot without it, and pair your phone and see how it works?

What about looking for a CPO Elite? They will still lease those.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 10:45 AM   #15
Katin
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i XDrive

I wouldn't skimp on the leather, though BMW leather isn't the best it beats the heck out of Sensatech. Sensatech is hard, stinky and sweaty.
18's are plenty big and look great.

That's what I have to say.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 12:15 PM   #16
x986
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 340, ex e92 335, ex e46 M3

Garage List
With the time you have, the only way to get what YOU want, and NOTHING else is to order. I doubt you will save much, if any, money by buying off the lot.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 01:41 PM   #17
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT

Non m sport without track pack will not please you if you're looking for a sport sedan.
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, MPBBK, HRE FF04
Instagram: @brandons340i
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 01:45 PM   #18
cmplaya
Captain
Rep
Drives: B58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katin View Post
I wouldn't skimp on the leather, though BMW leather isn't the best it beats the heck out of Sensatech. Sensatech is hard, stinky and sweaty.
18's are plenty big and look great.

That's what I have to say.
i had dakota leather in an E90 and now sensatech in F30 and don't regret it
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2016, 02:26 PM   #19
vitriol
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Thanks everyone. A lot of good points here.

True, I may save only $30-$50 per month but there are a couple of extenuating factors:

1) Wife wants me to get out of BMW, get a Honda/Toyota instead and save $300/month. Logically this makes sense and for her, emotionally, the idea of saving money is key. So... ANY drop in monthly payment will be helpful (obviously nowhere near the drop I'd see if I leased a Camry, but optically it will seem like a concession on my part).

2) I need to go from 10k/year to 12k, meaning an extra $25 or so per month. I definitely can't go up on the monthly payment (see factor #1 above), so need to find a way to bring it down.

3) Re ordering... that's tempting BUT I'm up against my miles AND my rear tires are just about to need replacing... so hoping to turn existing car in ASAP.

Anyway... obviously I just need to decide what I can live with, as most have pointed out... the problem is I don't see how I can live without msport/leather/nav/driver assist... may need to consider MSDs.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 02:33 PM   #20
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
I live just fine with Sport Line, sensatec, no nav and basic back up camera set up . It can be done lol

As for phone integration, no problem whatsover. Syncs up as soon as I get in the car, displays my contact list etc on the non-nav screen the same way as a Nav equipped car.

Last edited by CalCarNut; 03-10-2016 at 10:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 03:08 PM   #21
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks everyone. A lot of good points here.

True, I may save only $30-$50 per month but there are a couple of extenuating factors:

1) Wife wants me to get out of BMW, get a Honda/Toyota instead and save $300/month. Logically this makes sense and for her, emotionally, the idea of saving money is key. So... ANY drop in monthly payment will be helpful (obviously nowhere near the drop I'd see if I leased a Camry, but optically it will seem like a concession on my part).

2) I need to go from 10k/year to 12k, meaning an extra $25 or so per month. I definitely can't go up on the monthly payment (see factor #1 above), so need to find a way to bring it down.

3) Re ordering... that's tempting BUT I'm up against my miles AND my rear tires are just about to need replacing... so hoping to turn existing car in ASAP.

Anyway... obviously I just need to decide what I can live with, as most have pointed out... the problem is I don't see how I can live without msport/leather/nav/driver assist... may need to consider MSDs.
What if instead of dropping to a Honda or Toyota, you get a GTI?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 03:15 PM   #22
S4NoMore
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 340i, 15 X3d, 91 318i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3 28d  [0.00]
1991 BMW 318i  [8.66]
Have you considered financing a CPO car or even buying your own car with CPO or extended warranty rolled in? Everything is negotiable. I imagine it could possibly be a lower monthly payment, and you may also get a little equity. Just a thought.
Appreciate 0