F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Behold, my 1995 BMW 740iL (E38)!
ARMA SPEED

09-13-2015, 10:05 PM   #1
motorsport_cat
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1995 740iL

Garage List
1995 BMW 740iL  [0.00]
Behold, my 1995 BMW 740iL (E38)!

Hey everyone!

Thursday I finally got this gem right here, and it turns out to be my first car!

The car is indeed older than I am, and has seen 300,000 kilometers. As it is 20 years old, there are a few things that need to be repaired, and I will do as many repairs as possible by myself.

I would really appreciate it if you guys and gals, fellow members, would be able to give me some advice on how to proceed to making this car (closer to) A1. So, without further ado, here's a list summing up my car's current condition!

Engine & Transmission
-The previous owner told me that I there is a "hairline" crack in the lower block (please excuse me for the terminology, as I have not seen this for myself, nor have I been told the precise terms) that cause oil to seep through onto the exhaust. This causes a burned oil smell that persists through the air vents :
This is my number one priority to fix right now, as a crack is a crack and it can get worse. There have been attempts to seal it with a J-B Weld (key word: attempts because the problem is still there...). Also, the valve head gasket was recently replaced. What do you guys think?
-Aside from that, it seems like the 280+ ponies are almost all still pulling hard . I don't push the car too often, as it is old, but when I do, damn does it sound amazing!
-Transmission is buttery smooth
Sometimes there is a small jerk from 1st to 2nd (or 2nd to 3rd, I haven't listened closely enough yet).

Steering & Brakes
-Steering feels nice, but there is a bit of play when it is straight. The car also pulls a little to the left. Aside from that, there is some wobble when the road isn't straight, a bit of vibration at highway speeds (to be confirmed, maybe the Montreal roads are just THAT terrible) and when I turn right in reverse the wheel wobbles/vibrates before full lock.
-The brake pedal isn't very precise, but it's not too bad.

Electronics
-The ASC and ABS orange warning lights are always on. The ASC recently started going off from time to time, but now it always does, just like the ABS.
-All the power seat functions work, all the windows go up and down and the sunroof works (yay)! The 6 CD changer works like a charm but I haven't tested the cassette player yet.
-HOWEVER, the FM/AM doesn't work, and when I turn the volume up or down, there is a very unpleasant "tttrrrrrr" sound with every increment of up or down. The sound is also there when I adjust my bass, treble and what not, again with every increment.

Other
-I have to hold my trunk open, the hydraulics are failing.
-The clear coat is peeling off, but this isn't a priority at the moment (maybe it should be, because rust?).
-As you might be able to tell, the headlights and taillights are yellowish and cracked (taillights) but I am polishing them soon . Is there a fast way to repair the cracks in the lenses for my taillights?
-My right kidney grille is loose, and under the grilles, the upper bumper part is all cracked

I hope that this isn't too long of a read and isn't coming off as a rant about what is broken. Don't get me wrong, I am deeply in love with this 20 year old, and am truly thankful for being able to own it. It puts a smile on my face every time I see it.

Thank you very much for reading and thank you in advance for your input!
-Avi

P.S.
I plan to drive in the winter. Any recommendations for rust proofing?
The car has little to no rust at the moment.

Last edited by motorsport_cat; 09-15-2015 at 08:38 PM.. Reason: Wrong info
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2015, 10:08 PM   #2
motorsport_cat
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
1995 BMW 740iL  [0.00]
The photos didn't post, I am on iPad!
Attached Images

09-14-2015, 08:49 PM   #3
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

Good luck with it

certainly one of the best looking 7s
Appreciate 1
      09-15-2015, 06:19 AM   #4
Yeineken
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i M Sport

Garage List
'11 135i  [8.20]
'16 Ford Hatchback  [0.00]
'15 X5  [10.00]
Looks like it's in good condition. Needs a little TLC. Show us some pictures after a good clean and detail.
      09-15-2015, 06:53 AM   #5
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

As I gaze into my crystal ball, I see many wrenches and greasy fingerprints in your future...

...congratulations and best of luck! My greatest advice for winter driving is winter tires. They make an enormous difference in the amount of control available to the driver.
Appreciate 1
      09-15-2015, 11:57 AM   #6
motorsport_cat
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
1995 BMW 740iL  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeineken
Looks like it's in good condition. Needs a little TLC. Show us some pictures after a good clean and detail.
Indeed it does
I just vacuumed the whole interior, will soon be restoring headlights/taillights!
      09-15-2015, 01:06 PM   #7
M3Bimmer77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 M3 E90 Jet Black

Nice fixer upper!!! Hope you got a good deal bc it's going to needs some work. First thing that I will concentrate on would be to get rid of the oil leak, then get rid of all the malfunctions, then I will concentrate on the suspension and finally on the cosmetic stuff.

Fix oil leak ASAP
Check all the suspension components; wishbones, bearings, joints,
New shocks and springs
New spark plugs
Replace all fluids no matter what
New rotors and pads
Check wheels for balancing and probably new tire
Check all hoses
Replace all filters
Ac tuneup
Paint, engine and interior detailing

I'm liking this project

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 01:29 PM   #8
motorsport_cat
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
1995 BMW 740iL  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Bimmer77
Nice fixer upper!!! Hope you got a good deal bc it's going to needs some work. First thing that I will concentrate on would be to get rid of the oil leak, then get rid of all the malfunctions, then I will concentrate on the suspension and finally on the cosmetic stuff.

Fix oil leak ASAP
Check all the suspension components; wishbones, bearings, joints,
New shocks and springs
New spark plugs
Replace all fluids no matter what
New rotors and pads
Check wheels for balancing and probably new tire
Check all hoses
Replace all filters
Ac tuneup
Paint, engine and interior detailing

I'm liking this project

Good luck
Thank you for the input! Much appreciated
      09-15-2015, 01:46 PM   #9
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

A car Frank Martin could love
If u weren't getting oil fumes through the vents I would suggest just living with the engine crack. First thing is to confirm where the crack is. Wherever you go to have the crack determined be sure to negotiate a diagnostic price first.
Appreciate 1