F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Trip to LA with a perfect side story
Extreme Powerhouse

06-16-2016, 12:25 AM   #1
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Trip to LA with a perfect side story

We took a trip from the Bay Area to LA for a family party this past week. I love getting my 328i out on the road. This trip just reconfirmed for me what a great car this is. 4 people in the car with luggage, 31 mpg, excellent ride and handling when loaded, amazing transmission that just seems to know exactly what gear in which to be. Just perfect.

Now for the best part (a bit long but worth it)

On our way home we were on Highway 46 between I-5 and Paso Robles. An Audi had been following me in the slow lane for several miles at a perfectly acceptable distance. I'm on cruise control and haven't changed speeds. For whatever reason, this Audi A$$hat (a really nice alliterative term if you ask me) decides its time to tailgate me on the open road on a 4 lane highway with no other cars around. I see a truck up ahead so I put my blinker on and move to the fast lane. This AA (short for Audi A$$hatt) decides to try to pass me in the slow lane and get ahead of me before getting to the truck. I'm still on cruise control so my speed didn't vary. The AA realized he didn't have room, backs off and cuts in right behind me and continues to tailgate. I pass the truck and move back to the slow lane and the AA stays in the fast lane and takes off into the distance. About 10 minutes later I see flashing lights up ahead. The CHP has a car pulled over. Yes, indeed. Its the Audi A$$hat. I thought about honking and giving a thumbs up by I just passed by with a grin on my face that did not come off for about an hour.
Appreciate 4
      06-16-2016, 12:38 AM   #2
elusive
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30

Karma's a bitch
Appreciate 1
      06-16-2016, 12:48 AM   #3
Joe_E
Captain
Rep
Drives: FBO 328i

Something like that happened to me last week. I saw someone pulled over on the way back home from a car meet and said "Damn sucks to be him". About 5 minutes later, the same cop pulled me over. I started laughing right when i realized it was the same cop
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2016, 01:16 AM   #4
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_E View Post
Something like that happened to me last week. I saw someone pulled over on the way back home from a car meet and said "Damn sucks to be him". About 5 minutes later, the same cop pulled me over. I started laughing right when i realized it was the same cop
Ouch!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2016, 12:42 PM   #5
AndDown
Just Copacetic!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F22 230i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post

On our way home we were on Highway 46 between I-5 and Paso Robles. An Audi had been following me in the slow lane for several miles at a perfectly acceptable distance. I'm on cruise control and haven't changed speeds. For whatever reason, this Audi A$$hat (a really nice alliterative term if you ask me) decides its time to tailgate me on the open road on a 4 lane highway with no other cars around. I see a truck up ahead so I put my blinker on and move to the fast lane. This AA (short for Audi A$$hatt) decides to try to pass me in the slow lane and get ahead of me before getting to the truck. I'm still on cruise control so my speed didn't vary. The AA realized he didn't have room, backs off and cuts in right behind me and continues to tailgate. I pass the truck and move back to the slow lane and the AA stays in the fast lane and takes off into the distance. About 10 minutes later I see flashing lights up ahead. The CHP has a car pulled over. Yes, indeed. Its the Audi A$$hat. I thought about honking and giving a thumbs up by I just passed by with a grin on my face that did not come off for about an hour.
Route 46 is a great road for some exhilarating drives, which is why I think the CHP patrols it. We're headed to Cambria this weekend and I plan to drive the 46, so thanks for the heads up about not speeding. This was the route where James Dean met his demise. Enjoyed reading about your little experience.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2016, 12:56 PM   #6
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndDown View Post
Route 46 is a great road for some exhilarating drives, which is why I think the CHP patrols it. We're headed to Cambria this weekend and I plan to drive the 46, so thanks for the heads up about not speeding. This was the route where James Dean met his demise. Enjoyed reading about your little experience.
Yes, they even have a memorial sign at the intersection. It was my first time on that road. Beautiful area.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2016, 05:10 PM   #7
Lavalamp425
Lurker
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
Yes, they even have a memorial sign at the intersection. It was my first time on that road. Beautiful area.
The area is lovely, although traffic on 46 between 101/Paso Robles and the Cholame Y has really picked up so it is harder to enjoy the road as much. When I was in school at Cal Poly SLO 46 was not great on weekends, but fine weekdays.

Try driving 46 west from Paso over to CA-1. THAT is a fun road
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2016, 05:34 PM   #8
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavalamp425 View Post
The area is lovely, although traffic on 46 between 101/Paso Robles and the Cholame Y has really picked up so it is harder to enjoy the road as much. When I was in school at Cal Poly SLO 46 was not great on weekends, but fine weekdays.

Try driving 46 west from Paso over to CA-1. THAT is a fun road

Just looked at that stretch of road on google street view. Looks awesome.

I have been on the road north of there from Hwy 101 to the coast. Its called Nacimiento-Fergusson Rd. and turns into Monterey Co. Rd 4004. Check it out. Bring a barf bag for your passengers or be prepared to stop a few times and let them get some air.
Appreciate 0