F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Fault Code-Help!!!
Studio RSR

05-06-2016, 05:09 PM   #1
CloudVIII
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW LCI F80///M3

Fault Code-Help!!!

I am having problems with fault codes that I believe have to do with the 02 sensor. Car has no power and drivetrain malfunctions regularly.

Codes are:

1B5202 terminal-electrical short circuit to ground or open ci
12B302-Lamba probe heating after catalyst activation short circuit to ground
12B102- same thing but before catalyst

Any experience with this?

I have installed the following:

-Wagner downpipe and FMIC
-BMS JB4 and intake
-ER charge pipe

Thanks!!!

PAST
F80 LCI/M3/AW FBO BM3 Cary Tuned Meth/Pure Stage 2
F36 CB 435i FBO
F15 GS X5 50i Tune
F10 AW 550i Loaded/Tune/M5 Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 03:26 PM   #2
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Correct - your downpipe probably has no catalytic converter. JB4 should take care of faking the 02 sensor readings, but I'm not sure how to activate that. Could be one of the connectors to the 02 sensors is shorted out as well, or one of the sensors itself is damaged somehow.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 12:14 AM   #3
CloudVIII
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335
Correct - your downpipe probably has no catalytic converter. JB4 should take care of faking the 02 sensor readings, but I'm not sure how to activate that. Could be one of the connectors to the 02 sensors is shorted out as well, or one of the sensors itself is damaged somehow.
Thank you for the feedback!

Still trying to figure it out.

PAST
F36 CB 435i FBO
F15 GS X5 50i Tune
Appreciate 1
      05-23-2016, 11:00 PM   #4
CloudVIII
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Any other feedback. These codes are still coming up and not having much luck.

PAST
F36 CB 435i FBO
F15 GS X5 50i Tune
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 11:44 PM   #5
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Sounds like it's related to the downpipe.

And some people say you can buy high-end downpipe and not get engine fault codes.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 08:45 AM   #6
//M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

That's an actual sensor issue, not a efficiency code which you will get from carless downpipes. The first one is to ambiguous but the second ones mean either bad connections or damaged sensors. Every O2 sensor has a heating element built in which is needed to give you accurate reading when you first start the vehicle. That is part having an issue.

Did you disconnect the sensors from the harness during install?
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2016, 09:41 AM   #7
CloudVIII
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosielia
That's an actual sensor issue, not a efficiency code which you will get from carless downpipes. The first one is to ambiguous but the second ones mean either bad connections or damaged sensors. Every O2 sensor has a heating element built in which is needed to give you accurate reading when you first start the vehicle. That is part having an issue.

I didn't do the install and we actually have replaced the post Catt sensor and codes are still coming up.

PAST
F36 CB 435i FBO
F15 GS X5 50i Tune
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 03:06 PM   #8
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' F30 385xi VNV Speed Custom

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded
Sounds like it's related to the downpipe.

And some people say you can buy high-end downpipe and not get engine fault codes.
You can. I've had 3 different aftermarket DPs and only ever got efficiency codes which are easily removable with a JB4 or a flash tune. I have both.

These errors are not related to the downpipe, it's either the sensor and it's wiring or improper installation which could damage the sensor. There's nothing wrong with the downpipe.
13' 335xi, ACF Tuned, ACF Stage 3 Turbo Kit (67mm),PDU PI, ACF Stage 4 LPFP, M-Perf Brakes, AEM CM10 Meth/Nitro, CG DR-1 + VS-1 3.5" Turboback, AFe S2 CAI+Ram Scoop, ER Chargepipe, Wagner EVOII Comp. FMIC, Stop-Tech SS Brake Lines, BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve+Spacers F10mm R15mm, 19" Bridgestone Potenzas, KW EDC Coilovers, CF Seibon Hood + CSL trunk. Track:Pagid Race Pads, Stop-Tech Custom Pads Front+Rear Racing Tow Hooks
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 03:09 PM   #9
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudVIII
Quote:

I didn't do the install and we actually have replaced the post Catt sensor and codes are still coming up.
The pre cat sensor is more important than post cat. Are you still getting the short circuit to the post catalyst sensor after replacing that sensor?
13' 335xi, ACF Tuned, ACF Stage 3 Turbo Kit (67mm),PDU PI, ACF Stage 4 LPFP, M-Perf Brakes, AEM CM10 Meth/Nitro, CG DR-1 + VS-1 3.5" Turboback, AFe S2 CAI+Ram Scoop, ER Chargepipe, Wagner EVOII Comp. FMIC, Stop-Tech SS Brake Lines, BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve+Spacers F10mm R15mm, 19" Bridgestone Potenzas, KW EDC Coilovers, CF Seibon Hood + CSL trunk. Track:Pagid Race Pads, Stop-Tech Custom Pads Front+Rear Racing Tow Hooks
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 08:19 PM   #10
CloudVIII
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptocar
Quote:
Quote:

The pre cat sensor is more important than post cat. Are you still getting the short circuit to the post catalyst sensor after replacing that sensor?
Ya still getting the post cat fault code.

I posted this after replacing the sensor actually.

PAST
F36 CB 435i FBO
F15 GS X5 50i Tune
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 11:46 PM   #11
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Interesting. I'll run the codes through ISTA and get you the diagnostic procedure tomorrow. Side question have you or anyone touched any of your DME connections? If so the connector with the O2 sensors attached may be loose or have a pin bent somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2016, 01:20 AM   #12
CloudVIII
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Interesting. I'll run the codes through ISTA and get you the diagnostic procedure tomorrow. Side question have you or anyone touched any of your DME connections? If so the connector with the O2 sensors attached may be loose or have a pin bent somewhere.
I know when installing the down pipe, the installer was trying to pull some "slack" from the harness to connect to the 02 wiring connection. It would not surprise me if him pulling on it caused there to be a wire disconnected at the other end hence the "short circuit to ground or open CI. as well." It is sensing the connection but there is aground issue.

I appreciate any diagnosis and remedial work recomendations sir!!! ?

PAST
F36 CB 435i FBO
F15 GS X5 50i Tune
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2016, 01:22 AM   #13
CloudVIII
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Should note. Have not touched the DME.

PAST
F36 CB 435i FBO
F15 GS X5 50i Tune
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2016, 03:29 PM   #14
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudVIII View Post
I know when installing the down pipe, the installer was trying to pull some "slack" from the harness to connect to the 02 wiring connection. It would not surprise me if him pulling on it caused there to be a wire disconnected at the other end hence the "short circuit to ground or open CI. as well." It is sensing the connection but there is aground issue.

Ok so i ran the codes through ISTA and each of them had about 7-12 individual seperate codes that generally amount to the same thing. I combined the wording from some, so you may see repetitive info.
The 2 O2 sensor faults are most likely related to the first fault based on the info I found. Hopefully it's just a fuse, that'd be the easiest solution, but I'm giving you all the info for a full diagnosis.

Code:
Code 1B5202

Fault Description
Diagnosis monitors the voltage supply line of terminals 15 N_1 and KL87_1 for open circuit and short to ground.
Malfunction monitoring conditions
The fault is detected when no voltage is applied at the DME input (KL87_1 or 15 N_1) despite the main relay being enabled.

Action in Service

- Check voltage supply and integrated supply module.

- Wiring harness between DME and main relay

- Replace Digital Motor Electronics main relay or power distribution box or integrated supply module.

-Check lines and plug connections between the following components:

- Engine control unit and Digital Motor Electronics main relay

Code 12B302

Fault Description

Diagnosis monitors the messages of the internal output stage diagnosis.
The fault is detected by self-diagnosis.
Possible cause of fault:

- Wiring harness of oxygen sensor after catalytic converter defective

- Oxygen sensor after catalytic converter defective

- DME defective

Action in Service

--Consequential fault if additional faults from the relay for sensor/actuator supply or from terminal 15N_1 are present. Correct these faults first.

Check lines and plug connections between the following components:

- Integrated supply module.

- DME.

Check fuse, replace if necessary.

- Eliminate secondary faults, faults for the following components/functions: 

-Check terminal 15 N_1 lines and plug connections between following components:

DME

Oxygen Sensor before catalytic converter

- Check wiring harness of oxygen sensor after catalytic converter

- Replace oxygen sensor after catalytic converter ( Do not allow plug connection to come into contact with cleaning agents or solvents, oxygen sensor can be destroyed) (The internal resistance of the oxygen sensor heater can be measured when disconnected/removed. A resistance greater than 1000 ohms can be measured between pin 1 (+12 V) and pin 2 (GND) in the event of a fault and when the sensor is cold (less than 50 °C).
)

- Replace DME

Code 12B102

Fault Description
The diagnosis monitors activation of heating at the oxygen sensor before catalytic converter.

The fault is detected when there is a short circuit to ground.

Action in Service
Consequential fault, rectify faults relating to the following components or functions: 

-- Terminal 15N_1
Consequential fault if additional faults from the relay for sensor/actuator supply are present. Correct these faults first.

-- Integrated supply module.

-- DME.

Check terminal 15 N_1 lines and plug connections between following components:

DME

Oxygen sensor before catalytic converter

- Check oxygen sensor before catalytic converter (The internal resistance of the oxygen sensor heater can be measured when disconnected/removed. A resistance greater than 1000 ohm can be measured between pin 4 (+12 V) and pin 3 (ground) in the event of a fault and when the sensor is cold (less than 50°C).  Do not allow plug connection to come into contact with cleaning agents or solvents, oxygen sensor can be destroyed)

- Renew oxygen sensor before catalytic converter
Another note I'd like to add is to ALWAYS disconnect the battery before messing around with the engine wiring harness, or any other vehicle wiring really, to avoid short circuits.

Also what does your JB4 read as AFR at idle?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 01:54 AM   #15
CloudVIII
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Ok so i ran the codes through ISTA and each of them had about 7-12 individual seperate codes that generally amount to the same thing. I combined the wording from some, so you may see repetitive info.
The 2 O2 sensor faults are most likely related to the first fault based on the info I found. Hopefully it's just a fuse, that'd be the easiest solution, but I'm giving you all the info for a full diagnosis.

Code:
Code 1B5202

Fault Description
Diagnosis monitors the voltage supply line of terminals 15 N_1 and KL87_1 for open circuit and short to ground.
The fault is detected when no voltage is applied at the DME input (KL87_1 or 15 N_1) despite the main relay being enabled.

Action in Service

- Replace Digital Motor Electronics main relay or power distribution box or integrated supply module.

Code 12B302

Fault Description

Possible cause of fault:

- DME defective

Action in Service

--Consequential fault if additional faults from the relay for sensor/actuator supply or from terminal 15N_1 are present. Correct these faults first.

- DME.

DME

- Replace oxygen sensor after catalytic converter ( Do not allow plug connection to come into contact with cleaning agents or solvents, oxygen sensor can be destroyed) (The internal resistance of the oxygen sensor heater can be measured when disconnected/removed. A resistance greater than 1000 ohms can be measured between pin 1 (+12 V) and pin 2 (GND) in the event of a fault and when the sensor is cold (less than 50 °C).
)

- Replace DME

Code 12B102

Fault Description
The diagnosis monitors activation of heating at the oxygen sensor before catalytic converter.

Action in Service
Consequential fault, rectify faults relating to the following components or functions: 

-- Terminal 15N_1
Consequential fault if additional faults from the relay for sensor/actuator supply are present. Correct these faults first.

-- DME.

DME

- Check oxygen sensor before catalytic converter (The internal resistance of the oxygen sensor heater can be measured when disconnected/removed. A resistance greater than 1000 ohm can be measured between pin 4 (+12 V) and pin 3 (ground) in the event of a fault and when the sensor is cold (less than 50°C).  Do not allow plug connection to come into contact with cleaning agents or solvents, oxygen sensor can be destroyed)

Another note I'd like to add is to ALWAYS disconnect the battery before messing around with the engine wiring harness, or any other vehicle wiring really, to avoid short circuits.

Thanks for this man!!!

AFR's are 16.9 at idle.

PAST
F36 CB 435i FBO
F15 GS X5 50i Tune
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 05:20 PM   #16
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Code:
Code 1B5202

Fault Description

Action in Service

Code 12B302

Fault Description

Possible cause of fault:

- DME defective

Action in Service

- DME.

DME

)

- Replace DME

Code 12B102

Fault Description

Action in Service

-- Terminal 15N_1

-- DME.

DME

Thanks for this man!!!

AFR's are 16.9 at idle.
That's SUPER lean. I hope that's the result of a short circuit because if your car is actually idling that lean then you're gonna have major issues. I'd keep it off the road until you get the short circuit resolved.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 10:27 PM   #17
CloudVIII
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Code:
Code 1B5202

Fault Description

Action in Service

Code 12B302

Fault Description

Possible cause of fault:

- DME defective

Action in Service

- DME.

DME

)

- Replace DME

Code 12B102

Fault Description

Action in Service

-- Terminal 15N_1

-- DME.

DME

Thanks for this man!!!

AFR's are 16.9 at idle.
That's SUPER lean. I hope that's the result of a short circuit because if your car is actually idling that lean then you're gonna have major issues. I'd keep it off the road until you get the short circuit resolved.
Under acceleration it is 14.7 consistently.

I have run several logs and it is undetectable under load.

It idles like crap right now.

PAST
F36 CB 435i FBO
F15 GS X5 50i Tune
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2016, 12:52 AM   #18
CloudVIII
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Interestingly enough I added the EWG harness just to see what would happen and I got "wastegate signal-short circuit to ground"

PAST
F36 CB 435i FBO
F15 GS X5 50i Tune
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2016, 03:02 AM   #19
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Interestingly enough I added the EWG harness just to see what would happen and I got "wastegate signal-short circuit to ground"
Then the issue is definitely in the power supply to that harness which is shared with the O2 sensors. Tomorrow I'll check the wiring diagram for a possible fuse but most likely the short is somewhere in the harness or at the ISM on the driver side of the engine. Inspect the wiring harness closely.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2016, 03:22 PM   #20
CloudVIII
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Thanks man!! I really appreciate.

I pulled every fuse and inspected already.

PAST
F36 CB 435i FBO
F15 GS X5 50i Tune
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2016, 03:40 PM   #21
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
The JB4 can't fake O2 sensor values nor would BMS program it to do so even if it could. For the tuning to work properly you need all the OEM sensors installed and operating normally. Otherwise you'll get a fault code as the OP has here.

Sounds like he blew a fuse or damage the o2 sensor wiring doing the downpipe install.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2016, 04:17 PM   #22
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
The JB4 can't fake O2 sensor values nor would BMS program it to do so even if it could. For the tuning to work properly you need all the OEM sensors installed and operating normally. Otherwise you'll get a fault code as the OP has here.

Sounds like he blew a fuse or damage the o2 sensor wiring doing the downpipe install.

Mike
So you're saying there's no feature in the JB4 to remove the CEL when running a catless DP? Or is that a separate option? Because I've read a lot of posts indicating that the JB products can quash the Catless DP CEL. Just asking.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0