F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > So Im All Swirled Up Now :(
Extreme Powerhouse

02-24-2014, 08:35 AM   #1
Fruitycups
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328i xDrive

So Im All Swirled Up Now :(

So took my vehicle in for the recall. Checked out fine. Unfortunately I forgot to tell the dealer not to wash the car. Picked it up, car was sparkling, then I took it home and saw all the damage on the vehicle

So i have two options. I can take it to this Total Recon Auto detailing shop when I visit Maryland. They charge about 200 for the exterior detailing or I can use a 50 dollars off 100 advanced auto coupon and buy all the materials and do it myself.

Problem is, im terrible at this stuff so there is a VERY HIGH probability that I ruin the car further.

My second question is, is there a difference in getting the swirls out in about 5 months when I have some eff around money or should I get it down as soon as possible (swirls happened on Friday). Will doing it asap get the swirls out better than getting it down later?

And are swirls something you can actually fix permanently or are all methods just a temp. fix with wax being filled in the scratches.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 12:16 PM   #2
Cup o' Joe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: IS350 F Sport

Swirls are removed by polishing them out (removing some of the clear coat). Sealants like OptiCoat, CQuartz, or Wolf's Hard Body can protect the clear coat for a while, preventing them from forming.

If you don't know what you're doing, I would generally let a professional handle that process.

In addition, I don't believe it will be more difficult to get out if you don't handle it right away. However, there is the opportunity for more, or deeper swirls to form.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 02:21 PM   #3
S4NoMore
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 340i, 15 X3d, 91 318i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3 28d  [0.00]
1991 BMW 318i  [8.66]
No harm in waiting other than having to see the swirls in the mean time.

I took delivery of my black F30 recently, and with the snow and melting runoff I don't plan on doing a nice polish and switching into OCD mode until the spring/summer. Until then I get to see all the harm done by dealer wash boys etc.

If you are going to be learning how to polish with zero experience, I would say it's probably not worth the trouble. Getting properly equipped will also be a significant cost.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 03:43 PM   #4
Fruitycups
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for not rubbing it in (no pun intended).

If the only way to permanently get rid of swirls is to polish it (which in turn is removing the clear coat) im assuming there will reach a point when the clear coat can be completely gone if polished too much right? Is there any way to ever replenishing the clear coat to the same amount of what was on the car when it was freshly bought (ie. painted)?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 08:27 PM   #5
xantdieselx
Kingslayer
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 23' M3 Base

Dude, take it back to the dealer and make them take care of it. Happened to me with a BSM E92. Dealer ran it through the car wash after I specifically told them not too. I refused to pick up the car and made them send it out for a paint correction. There is no excuse for damaging the paint when washing a car. How much effort does it take to use clean water, proper soap and a clear wash mit? You could teach a circus monkey to wash a car correctly.

Previous Cars: 2008' 135i, 2010' 328i, 2013' 328i, 2016' M235i, 2017' X1, 2019' M240i
Current Cars: 2019' X3, 2021' M3 Comp
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 11:20 PM   #6
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitycups View Post
Thanks for not rubbing it in (no pun intended).

If the only way to permanently get rid of swirls is to polish it (which in turn is removing the clear coat) im assuming there will reach a point when the clear coat can be completely gone if polished too much right? Is there any way to ever replenishing the clear coat to the same amount of what was on the car when it was freshly bought (ie. painted)?
Clear coat can be replenished by repainting. This option would be quite expensive and brings it's own risks as well. Plus, I don't think it's necessary. Your car is not the first to fricked up by Swirly the Steel Wool car wash machine.

As suggested (if 'talking' to the dealer doesn't work), look for a local pro detailer. Try to get feedback from people who've used the person you're interested in. Detailers range from the truly fanatical must-get-rid-of-every scratch types to some guy with a shop vac, bucket, and 'good old fashioned elbow grease'. You could also look at doing it yourself. While you wouldn't do as good a job as pro on your first time out you might not do too badly.

While experienced pros will use a high tech, high speed polisher, which can deliver fantastic results in the right hands, a random orbital polisher ($50-$400), a kind of 'polisher for dummies' (i.e. noobs), will deliver great results and is designed to make it a little tougher to permanently screw up your paint (which you can do with a pro polisher). The chemicals? There are so many but a Google search on detailing will get you pointed in the right direction. You basically want a compound (to polish out scratches), a glaze (to restore the sh*t you just shaved off with the compound), and a sealant to help lock in your hard work and help protect the sealant and paint. Some suggest a wax as well but some also advise not to combine the two as one (the wax) may remove the other (the sealant). Some makers sell a set of chemicals that work together so sometimes buying a set will save time in terms of what to pick.

YouTube will show you some very practical tips that will save you a lot of grief as well. If you decide to try it yourself, don't underestimate the time involved. 4-7 hours depending on level of detail and experience is typical.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 07:39 AM   #7
S4NoMore
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3 28d  [0.00]
1991 BMW 318i  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xantdieselx View Post
Dude, take it back to the dealer and make them take care of it.
My only issue with this is that you already can't trust the dealer to be cautious with paint care.

I detailed at my local BMW dealership for a couple years, because they outsourced this work to my employer (local detail shop) who in turn set up a permanent location in the dealership detail bays (dealer had a nicer facility than my employer, plus the cars were typically much better so I was very happy with the situation). I know the corners they cut, and the kind of time/cost pressure that is dealt with.

Finding a good independent detailer is hard enough, let alone a BMW dealer who will honestly give a sh!t about your swirl marks enough to spend time and money making it right. I would be wary that they'll do more harm than good. I suppose it's worth complaining to see if they will credit you with a polish from a local detailer - but the "no wash" request needs to be on your paperwork for it to carry any weight, and OP stated they forgot to mention the no wash request.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 08:11 AM   #8
Fruitycups
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4NoMore View Post
My only issue with this is that you already can't trust the dealer to be cautious with paint care.

I detailed at my local BMW dealership for a couple years, because they outsourced this work to my employer (local detail shop) who in turn set up a permanent location in the dealership detail bays (dealer had a nicer facility than my employer, plus the cars were typically much better so I was very happy with the situation). I know the corners they cut, and the kind of time/cost pressure that is dealt with.

Finding a good independent detailer is hard enough, let alone a BMW dealer who will honestly give a sh!t about your swirl marks enough to spend time and money making it right. I would be wary that they'll do more harm than good. I suppose it's worth complaining to see if they will credit you with a polish from a local detailer - but the "no wash" request needs to be on your paperwork for it to carry any weight, and OP stated they forgot to mention the no wash request.
Yeah, this is all on me. I should have specified that i didn't want a wash. But honestly, I really didnt think they would wash it for the recoding of my ASS.

Not only that, its snowing today so I got swirl marks on my paint for effing nothing.

Theres a place near by that charges 200 for a exterior detailing. According to them, they can remove the paint swirls. Tbh though, Im a bit weary now. What are the downsides of removing some of the clear coat (which is whats happening when polishing)? Well scratches show up more easily? I just want to make sure the pros outweigh the cons if going this route. If somehow leaving the clearcoat untouched somehow protects my finish better, I rather just live with the ugly ass swirl marks the dealership put on the vehicle.

It could be worse, I could be driving a black or dark colored vehicle (mine is silver).
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 10:25 AM   #9
Cup o' Joe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: IS350 F Sport

Quote:
If somehow leaving the clearcoat untouched somehow protects my finish better, I rather just live with the ugly ass swirl marks the dealership put on the vehicle.

It could be worse, I could be driving a black or dark colored vehicle (mine is silver).
Is your car leased? If so, I wouldn't care about the depth of the clear coat.

What I have noticed about the F3X is how easily the paint can be damaged, even the metallic colors. If your really bothered by the swirls, get the car prepped and coated with something like Wolf's Hard Body or Opticoat.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 10:41 AM   #10
S4NoMore
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3 28d  [0.00]
1991 BMW 318i  [8.66]
Wait...

Quote:
(mine is silver)
Seriously...

Quote:
(mine is silver)
???

Take a deep breath, relax, and repeat after me - it's just a silver car.

I really cannot believe that 1 maybe-careless dealer wash would do any real visible damage to a metallic silver car.

I'm almost intrigued enough to ask for a pic of what is bothering you so much.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 10:44 AM   #11
Fruitycups
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cup o' Joe View Post
Is your car leased? If so, I wouldn't care about the depth of the clear coat.

What I have noticed about the F3X is how easily the paint can be damaged, even the metallic colors. If your really bothered by the swirls, get the car prepped and coated with something like Wolf's Hard Body or Opticoat.
Nope, not leased.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 10:47 AM   #12
Fruitycups
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4NoMore View Post
Wait...

Seriously...

???

Take a deep breath, relax, and repeat after me - it's just a silver car.

I really cannot believe that 1 maybe-careless dealer wash would do any real visible damage to a metallic silver car.

I'm almost intrigued enough to ask for a pic of what is bothering you so much.
Its kind of like having damage on your phone. It might be hard to see but YOU know its there and it bothers you.

In the right light, its swirls galore. Trust me
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 11:18 AM   #13
S4NoMore
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3 28d  [0.00]
1991 BMW 318i  [8.66]
Quote:
Its kind of like having damage on your phone. It might be hard to see but YOU know its there and it bothers you.

In the right light, its swirls galore. Trust me
I can understand your frustration, especially with my black car. I suppose the consolation is that with silver, it will take very light polish to make it look new again with much less risk to the clear coat.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 07:33 PM   #14
sleeeper
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F32 435iMSport, MPPK, LSD, MPE

Wash and rinse car.
Dry car with microfiber towels
Claybar car using a show shine or water to lubricate the surface
Wax with an orbital buffer using a mild polish
Buff with an orbital buffer on a microfiber towel
Wax again with an orbital buffer using a premium wax with polish, just carnauba
Buff off wax with orbital buffer and microfiber towel
Never let another person wash your car
Orbital buffers do not produce swirls
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 08:36 PM   #15
xantdieselx
Kingslayer
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 23' M3 Base

Open MS Word. Type "Please Do Not Wash!" In bold and pick the largest font that will fit. Fold it in 1/2 and put it in your glove box. Whenever I go to the dealer I place it on the dash facing out for all to see. I've actually had a couple of owners stop me in the service drive and tell me they are going to start doing the same.

Previous Cars: 2008' 135i, 2010' 328i, 2013' 328i, 2016' M235i, 2017' X1, 2019' M240i
Current Cars: 2019' X3, 2021' M3 Comp
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 02:44 PM   #16
S4NoMore
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3 28d  [0.00]
1991 BMW 318i  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeeper View Post
I think you meant "Polish" using a mild polish.

Quote:
I don't think buffing with a machine is good practice, and I would bet that it can lead to swirls if taken too far.

Quote:
I'd always say to wax by hand.

How to polish and wax is a subject covered at length by experts all over the internet. Lots of info out there, google it and look on detailing websites (detailersdomain, autogeek, detailedimage, etc).

Last edited by S4NoMore; 03-02-2014 at 01:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 08:48 PM   #17
Detailers Domain
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M2C / 22 X3MC

post a photo of the swirls.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 11:02 PM   #18
Esoteric Detail
Rep
Drives: 2005 330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by xantdieselx View Post
Dude, take it back to the dealer and make them take care of it. Happened to me with a BSM E92. Dealer ran it through the car wash after I specifically told them not too. I refused to pick up the car and made them send it out for a paint correction. There is no excuse for damaging the paint when washing a car. How much effort does it take to use clean water, proper soap and a clear wash mit? You could teach a circus monkey to wash a car correctly.
As posted earlier this is not the best idea because he forgot to mention it. Also dealers usually have low skilled detailers and they would either make it worse or use glaze to fill in the swirls and not remove them. As far as now or later it shouldn't make a huge difference if over the next few weeks or months it is washed properly or ran threw a touch less.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 09:03 PM   #19
sleeeper
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4NoMore
Quote:
I think you meant "Polish" using a mild polish.

Quote:
I don't think buffing with a machine is good practice, and I would bet that it can lead to swirls if taken too far.

Quote:
I'd always say to wax by hand.

How to polish and wax is a subject covered at length by experts all over the internet. Lots of info out there, google it and look on detailing websites (detailersdomain, autogeek, detailedimage, etc).
Orbital buffers do not produce swirls. Google is for people who don't already know what to do. Swirling is, if not produced by a car wash, a hand job.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 07:17 AM   #20
Esoteric Detail
Rep
Drives: 2005 330ci

If you want to learn how to use a buffer properly we have a training class once a month.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 07:52 AM   #21
S4NoMore
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3 28d  [0.00]
1991 BMW 318i  [8.66]
Quote:
Orbital buffers do not produce swirls.
Not in the traditional sense, but as far as what you'll see in the results I don't think it's the best bet for removing the little bit of product that remains after polishing.

Quote:
Google is for people who don't already know what to do.
OP asked a question because they don't already know what to do. My point was that giving 1-liner instruction is not really constructive for a beginner.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 08:49 AM   #22
sleeeper
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Oh okay I get your point. Youtube is a great place as well to see video on proper technique.
Appreciate 0