F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Is it me or people seem to hate BMW drivers?
GetBMWParts
Closed Thread

05-15-2014, 08:51 AM   #243
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlock View Post
The idiot buys the $50k 328i since it is essential the SAME car as the $30k 320i with minimal differences. I never understood the fascination with the term "loaded" - I guess it's used by people who have no idea what they are paying and must follow the hollow truism "you get what you pay for"..
This thread is about to get even better now...
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 08:55 AM   #244
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
This thread is about to get even better now...
Apologies to $50k 328i owners.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 09:26 AM   #245
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Apologies to $50k 328i owners.
It is too late now....their scorn and hellfire will come swift and without mercy.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 09:45 AM   #246
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
A 320i at $30k is actually the most intelligent buy - you get everything good that is offered by BMW at the lowest price. Slap on 250 dollar springs and it will handle to 90% of your "M-sport" 328s or 335s.

The idiot buys the $50k 328i since it is essential the SAME car as the $30k 320i with minimal differences. I never understood the fascination with the term "loaded" - I guess it's used by people who have no idea what they are paying and must follow the hollow truism "you get what you pay for"..
No scorn or hell fury, but why is anybody an idiot? Unless you can't afford it, get what you want and what will make you happy.

My 335 stickered at 54,500 and with incentives it was discounted to just over 49k. I got a few gizmos that I want and I love the motor. I don't look down on the 320 owners (or anybody's car for that matter), but it is not my cup of tea. Get what you want and eff everybody else.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 09:48 AM   #247
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
No scorn or hell fury, but why is anybody an idiot? Unless you can't afford it, get what you want and what will make you happy.

My 335 stickered at 54,500 and with incentives it was discounted to just over 49k. I got a few gizmos that I want and I love the motor. I don't look down on the 320 owners (or anybody's car for that matter), but it is not my cup of tea. Get what you want and eff everybody else.
Yeah same here. I spent a lot of money on my car (sometimes I poke fun at myself for doing so) but who cares? If you can afford it and it's what you want then who cares?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 11:49 AM   #248
335BOY
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 SQ5

JoeWalton cares......................sorry, couldnt help myself..........out again.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 11:55 AM   #249
Halsifer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS7

Quote:
I don't think you are looking at this the right way.
Base model 320i: $32,750;
Base model 328i: $37,300
"Loaded" No-Line 320i: $44,700;
"Loaded" No-Line 328i with same features: $47,225

So loaded with the SAME exact features in both cars, you are paying approximately $2500 for a better motor? I'm pretty sure that's a more than reasonable price. People see differences in the money of what they invest in their car. Would you call someone an idiot if they chose to purchase a Navigation system be built in the vehicle?

People decide to add comfort and convenience to their vehicle, as "crazy" as it seems. I could have decided to purchase my vehicle with absolutely nothing in it except for a powerful motor. But I wouldn't enjoy it nearly as much because all the features build the car to my enjoyment and comfort. Doesn't make me an idiot. People aren't following this dimwitted view of "hollow truism", they are paying for the technology that the company offers. I wanted a vehicle that had plenty of technology. I was blown away with the top-view/side-view cameras that assists me every single day. I enjoy not looking down at any screen since there is one directly on my windshield. It doesn't make anyone an idiot because they choose to get more (or less) features provided and purchased in their vehicle.
2014 BMW 335i xDrive M-Sport [Sold]
2010 Audi A6 3.0T [Sold]
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 12:09 PM   #250
newoldbeemer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 328i

The guy who spends $50k on an F30 is not an idiot. The guy who spent $50k and thinks he got a "completely different car" than the guy who spent $35k is an idiot.

Oh and BMW is not the Rolex of cars. It is more like.. the Fossil, or Rayban of cars. Just go down to the parking lot to see that .
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 12:18 PM   #251
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Yeah same here. I spent a lot of money on my car (sometimes I poke fun at myself for doing so) but who cares? If you can afford it and it's what you want then who cares?
While I would never call my car a value buy for many reasons, I do think I am getting good value for my money for what I want. But, I know where you are coming from. Hope that makes sense, weird sentence.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 12:22 PM   #252
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by newoldbeemer View Post
The guy who spends $50k on an F30 is not an idiot. The guy who spent $50k and thinks he got a "completely different car" than the guy who spent $35k is an idiot.

Oh and BMW is not the Rolex of cars. It is more like.. the Fossil, or Rayban of cars. Just go down to the parking lot to see that .
I disagree, I don't know about "completely different car," but I would say a stripped 30k 320i is very different from a loaded 328/335 etc. I say this from having the experience of owning a moderately equipped 2013 328 then trading to a better equipped 335. Just my opinion, for what it's worth, I loved/love both cars.

Don't know about watches, I'll have to defer to you experts on that one.

Last edited by minn19; 05-15-2014 at 12:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 12:29 PM   #253
newoldbeemer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 328i

Quote:
I disagree, I don't know about "completely different car," but I would say a stripped 30k 320i is very different from a loaded 335. I say this from having the experience of owning a moderately equipped 2013 328 then trading to a better equipped 335. Just my opinion, for what it's worth, I loved/love both cars.

Don't know about watches, I'll have to defer to you experts on that one.
I actually meant a base $35k 328i vs a "loaded" $50k 328i. (thats why I didnt say $30k). I don't believe those two are completely different cars. The loaded car has a more "rich" feel especially in the interior, but as a car it is pretty much the same thing.

I apologize for use of the word "idiot", regardless of what was posted before by others in this thread. We shouldn't forget we are all fellow BMW owners and are here on this forum to connect with each other. No one is an idiot and no one is a "lowly type" here.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 01:18 PM   #254
grimlock
Colonel
Rep

All good, guys.
I'm not saying buying a 28i engine over a 20i is a bad choice if the difference is only 2k - in fact it may totally be worth it for the tune, warranty and convenience.

Quote:
Yeah exactly this.

I was just saying there is nothing different between a 320i and a 328i except the tune on the engine. And the M-sport/Sport line whatever package just consist on different springs which alot of ppl swap out anyways..
There is nothing "magical" about the labels 320, 328, 335 /whatever line - it just seems like some ppl have no idea what they are talking about when they say their car is this and that and automatically assume there is a magical progression of superiority in larger numbers or more extravagant names.
That is all.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 01:24 PM   #255
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
All good, guys.
I'm not saying buying a 28i engine over a 20i is a bad choice if the difference is only 2k - in fact it may totally be worth it for the tune, warranty and convenience.

Yeah exactly this.

I was just saying there is nothing different between a 320i and a 328i except the tune on the engine. And the M-sport/Sport line whatever package just consist on different springs which alot of ppl swap out anyways..
There is nothing "magical" about the labels 320, 328, 335 /whatever line - it just seems like some ppl have no idea what they are talking about when they say their car is this and that and automatically assume there is a magical progression of superiority in larger numbers or more extravagant names.
That is all.
Just for the record, an M-Sport has a lot of other differences too. Besides on AWD models without DHP, the springs aren't even different.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 01:27 PM   #256
KenMDTO
Rep
Drives: 2012 CLS63 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by joewalton View Post
One is not a troll because he has a different point of view than you do. I'm in my 5th 3 Series in the last 15 years, I damn well know what I'm talking about.

BMW has been a status symbol for over 30 years, right up there with Tumi, Rolex, Ralph Lauren, and on and on. You want to dispute that? Fine, where's your proof? Make an argument or don't.
I don't see BMW as a status symbol, maybe someone in your economic situation does. You said you are "rich and successful", not compared to me.

You are comparing BMW to Rolex, but that only get's you so far. I wear a Patek Philippe, which cost more than your car, and one of my cars is a Ferrari, which I bought new, and who's options list cost more than your car.

Why do YOU choose Mediocrity? 5 BMW 3 series in the last 15 years?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 01:34 PM   #257
aceking4u
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Audi & BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by joewalton View Post
8. Audi owners are jealous and bitter as they are driving rebadged Volkswagens.
This is true. I am an Audi owner and I'm pretty pissed. I would like to own a BMW some day though.

05-15-2014, 01:36 PM   #258
pflau
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenMDTO View Post
I don't see BMW as a status symbol, maybe someone in your economic situation does. You said you are "rich and successful", not compared to me.
Yup one of the tough things about wearing a Rolex and driving a BMW is to convince people they are not status symbols. They are just utilitarian tools for people who can afford to spend a little more.
      05-15-2014, 01:45 PM   #259
grimlock
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Just for the record, an M-Sport has a lot of other differences too. Besides on AWD models without DHP, the springs aren't even different.
What? Guess you have to get it to get the sport auto..
How does it handle "so much better" than a 'no-line'.. it's not like it has active ARB it just has adjustable damping.. anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenMDTO View Post

You are comparing BMW to Rolex, but that only get's you so far. I wear a Patek Philippe, which cost more than your car, and one of my cars is a Ferrari, which I bought new, and who's options list cost more than your car.

Why do YOU choose Mediocrity? 5 BMW 3 series in the last 15 years?
Oh boy.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 01:55 PM   #260
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What? Guess you have to get it to get the sport auto..
How does it handle "so much better" than a 'no-line'.. it's not like it has active ARB it just has adjustable damping.. anyway
I never said it handled "so much better" so I'm not sure why you're putting words in my mouth, in fact I spoke nothing of the handling. I said there's other differences between the M-Sport vs. a Sport line or any other line:

1. Different front and rear bumper, different side skirts.
2. M-Sport steering wheel.
3. Different wheels.
4. Sport seats.
5. Colors specific to the M-Sport line.

RWD M-Sport models have stiffer and lower suspension but AWD models do not. AWD models without the Dynamic Handling Package receive purely cosmetic upgrades with the M-Sport line.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 02:02 PM   #261
Bluelondon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3 35i

Quote:
I agree and disagree with you. There are plenty of people out there who judge people based on just looking at them. I.E. there goes some rich asshole in a BMW, Audi or XYZ car.

Just like some affluent people look down at the poor and think they are worthless for whatever reason. Face it, humans are a funny bunch and we find many ways to judge each other with out knowing anything about a person at all.
My thoughts exactly. There are people out there who will hate on you and project negativity simply because of the car you drive and the clothes you wear. You don't have to particularly be a jerk to them like 335boy said, sometimes people are just haters. Sad but true.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 02:08 PM   #262
Bluelondon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambarossa View Post
People don't hate other people because they make more money or are more successful. People hate other people for the way they act or because they think and act as if they are better people just because they have more money. Money doesn't make people, it is the other way around. Anyone who thinks otherwise is fooling themselves. As they say, money comes and goes, but jerk stays forever.
I don't think you're being a realist about the world we live in. To think there doesn't exist people who hate on others simply for the auto-mobile they drive or the clothes they wear is a little naive. You can be the total opposite of a jerk, be courteous to people, drive considerately, and there will still be a few jealous haters who will see you drive a BMW and think "look at that stuck up SOB driving his BMW". If your theory was correct, how do you explain vandalism to cars from strangers? Obviously that particular car evoked some emotions in the vandal, be it jealousy, hate, anger, envy, whatever. Point being that you don't HAVE to be a jerk to receive hate for the car you drive.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 02:11 PM   #263
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I actually meant a base $35k 328i vs a "loaded" $50k 328i. (thats why I didnt say $30k). I don't believe those two are completely different cars. The loaded car has a more "rich" feel especially in the interior, but as a car it is pretty much the same thing.

I apologize for use of the word "idiot", regardless of what was posted before by others in this thread. We shouldn't forget we are all fellow BMW owners and are here on this forum to connect with each other. No one is an idiot and no one is a "lowly type" here.
Gotcha, agreed.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 02:19 PM   #264
zambarossa
Vault Dweller
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 6MT (Dravit/KO/ZPP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluelondon View Post
I don't think you're being a realist about the world we live in. To think there doesn't exist people who hate on others simply for the auto-mobile they drive or the clothes they wear is a little naive. You can be the total opposite of a jerk, be courteous to people, drive considerately, and there will still be a few jealous haters who will see you drive a BMW and think "look at that stuck up SOB driving his BMW". If your theory was correct, how do you explain vandalism to cars from strangers? Obviously that particular car evoked some emotions in the vandal, be it jealousy, hate, anger, envy, whatever. Point being that you don't HAVE to be a jerk to receive hate for the car you drive.
Maybe, but they are usually the minority. People don't go out of their way to hate you for who you are when they do not know who you are. But then, I live in Canada and I notice things are, shall I say, a bit different when I go down south (and when I lived there back when).

My point though, if you have a high attitude and pretend you are better than people just because you make more money or you have a better job or car, then the hate is pretty much guaranteed.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread