F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Is it me or people seem to hate BMW drivers?
GetBMWParts
Closed Thread

05-09-2014, 05:39 PM   #67
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacar View Post
Best of luck, hopefully you will grow up before you do that to the guys who bump you off the road and beat the sh!t out of you-saw that happen once.
Thanks. Luckily I don't live or drive around the ghetto where stuff like that is prone to happen.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 05:54 PM   #68
bucawke
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW x5

Garage List
I got cut off yesterday by an STi on the freeway, on a merging lane... He was so close on cutting me off that if I didn't slam on the brakes, I would've rear ended him; thankfully no one was behind me.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 06:00 PM   #69
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Do cyclists count? Some of these guys are awful on the roads. About a week ago one was sitting at a red light waiting for the light to turn green.

I was driving and I had the green. As I approach the intersection the light turns yellow but I was already too close to the intersection so I kept going. This guy on the bicycle flipped out and actually tried to spit on my car. He couldn't reach far enough but I kept driving a little dumbfounded. I even had my windows down so I don't know why anyone would do that.

Not quite sure why, by law he has to wait until his light turned green just like any other car. Plus sometimes they really go out of their way just to get in the way. Like positioning themselves at red lights so you can't drive around them to make a right turn. Don't even get me started on how rude they can be if you're just a normal pedestrian.

Their rudeness is in direct proportion to how much spandex they are wearing.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 07:00 PM   #70
Halsifer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS7

I think I've had some of the worst of luck with people on the roads, ONLY and ever in BMWs.

I often have people never let me over to exit the freeway or merge lanes, and I can truly say I don't do anything. They will stay next to me purposely not letting me over. If I slow down by 10 mph, so will they on purpose.

I was in the slow lane going 65 mph in a 65 zone. I had some lady in a truck pull up next to me, honking and screaming and pointing to speed up. Never seen that happen before.

I've had another women throw Starbucks at my car because I backed up to let a pedestrian cross the crosswalk. (No, I didn't hit her, the sensors weren't even in the yellow.) I was furious and she sped off after I pulled out my phone for a photo of her license.

I've had some punk-looking guy in an STI calling me terrible slurs (probably out of jealously, god knows why) and threw coins at my car to attempt to damage it. I ran the red light to get away and he followed, got out at the next stoplight, and tried to punch my window and fight me. Again, called the police because I didn't know what else to do.

I've had another car cut me off, I honked quickly twice to make him aware he almost caused an accident, then at the next light spoke to me in some heavy foreign accent, giving me death threats and threatening to ruin my car and wanting to fight at a nearby shell station. Then he continued following me. And again, ended up with the police for someone for death threats.

I've had people scream at me because my car is too loud. (Stock exhaust)

Half the time I will have friends with me in these scenarios and they have not the slightest clue on why I have the worst luck with people, because I don't drive like an A-hole, I'm considerate, slow down to let people merge or cross and I mind my own business. I honestly believe it's that big badge in the back saying "BMW" since this only happens in my current BMW and my previous BMW, no other vehicle. I'm not sure where this "hate" comes from but it's made my life slightly more interesting in the worst ways.
2014 BMW 335i xDrive M-Sport [Sold]
2010 Audi A6 3.0T [Sold]
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 07:01 PM   #71
Agamemnon
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 m3 ss2 zcp full leather

Very few old bold cyclists. Natural selection at work. They will be mowed down by some pissed off guy in an old truck.

When I ride a bike, I know I am a frail individual perched on an unstable contraption with crappy braking power. I also know I will lose in a confrontation with a vehicle. I play it really safe. Don't know about these idiot spandex clad cyclists - they really aren't thinking clearly. Next stop - wheelchair.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 07:26 PM   #72
613Bimmer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: One car with good steering ;)

Garage List
I agree with all that is being said here. Admittedly, BMW drivers sometimes seem to bring it upon themselves. However, where I live, A) I don't see many BMWs or Mercs or Audis (unless they are out of date base models). And B) unlike most other places (as it seems) they are always courteous.

What really ticks me off is when people in their stupid little japanese shitboxes start to rev their cars next to me and try to race me from light to light. Not to say, again that all japanese cars are shitboxes but I'm talking about rusted civics with the $50 Ebay muffler special. Generally, I let them make fools out of themselves since I'm usually in moderate to heavy traffic. One time, however, a turd in a rusty first gen 4 pot Acura MDX stops and tries to race me. This time, the roads were open, smooth and dry. He takes off and I stay just next to him for 5-10 secs (shifting at 5k) and then, to humiliate him, I floored it until the next light. He got really pissed off. Then, a couple of weeks ago. He pulls up to me at a red light. I think we may have the same commute in the morning. Anyways, he books it from the light in full on rush hour traffic. The funny thing is, it was a three lane road and there was a Sunfire in the far lane keeping up with him and I just stood there laughing my ass off. THE ABSOLUTE WORST DRIVER I've ever encountered is an S4 driver.

This was a couple of years ago. I was in my 535i E60 (at the time) and I was driving on a road that merged from two lanes to one. I politely tried to merge ahead of him (I was already 2 cars ahead of him at the previous intersection) and he tried to block me. Kindly, the car ahead of him was a Shelby and saw my predicament and booked it so that I could fit in. I took advantage of that at the last minute before the soft shoulder and merged in. And the asshole, of all things to do in an S4, goes on the soft shoulder to my left, passes me, cuts me off and sticks me the finger out of the sunroof and brake checked me so hard, there was a near 4 car pileup behind me. I then proceeded to grab my cell phone to call 911. I opened my sunroof and taped the car while I was talking with the police over bluetooth, just to piss him off a bit. He then sped off. Then, the operator asked me if I could follow him. So, I engaged beast mode and started to chase him down, within speed limits so I told the operator. He them went into a dead end street that finished in a sports complex where there was a community POLICE STATION. The cops pulled him over and gave him A WARNING. I was so mad.

The moral of the story is to treat people the way you want to be treated. Hopefully the stereotype won't last much longer.

Drive safe.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 08:05 PM   #73
paulbrenneman
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey 335i M-Sport ZF

Quote:
Originally Posted by F10Enthusiast
I agree with all that is being said here. Admittedly, BMW drivers sometimes seem to bring it upon themselves. However, where I live, A) I don't see many BMWs or Mercs or Audis (unless they are out of date base models). And B) unlike most other places (as it seems) they are always courteous.

What really ticks me off is when people in their stupid little japanese shitboxes start to rev their cars next to me and try to race me from light to light. Not to say, again that all japanese cars are shitboxes but I'm talking about rusted civics with the $50 Ebay muffler special. Generally, I let them make fools out of themselves since I'm usually in moderate to heavy traffic. One time, however, a turd in a rusty first gen 4 pot Acura MDX stops and tries to race me. This time, the roads were open, smooth and dry. He takes off and I stay just next to him for 5-10 secs (shifting at 5k) and then, to humiliate him, I floored it until the next light. He got really pissed off. Then, a couple of weeks ago. He pulls up to me at a red light. I think we may have the same commute in the morning. Anyways, he books it from the light in full on rush hour traffic. The funny thing is, it was a three lane road and there was a Sunfire in the far lane keeping up with him and I just stood there laughing my ass off. THE ABSOLUTE WORST DRIVER I've ever encountered is an S4 driver.

This was a couple of years ago. I was in my 535i E60 (at the time) and I was driving on a road that merged from two lanes to one. I politely tried to merge ahead of him (I was already 2 cars ahead of him at the previous intersection) and he tried to block me. Kindly, the car ahead of him was a Shelby and saw my predicament and booked it so that I could fit in. I took advantage of that at the last minute before the soft shoulder and merged in. And the asshole, of all things to do in an S4, goes on the soft shoulder to my left, passes me, cuts me off and sticks me the finger out of the sunroof and brake checked me so hard, there was a near 4 car pileup behind me. I then proceeded to grab my cell phone to call 911. I opened my sunroof and taped the car while I was talking with the police over bluetooth, just to piss him off a bit. He then sped off. Then, the operator asked me if I could follow him. So, I engaged beast mode and started to chase him down, within speed limits so I told the operator. He them went into a dead end street that finished in a sports complex where there was a community POLICE STATION. The cops pulled him over and gave him A WARNING. I was so mad.

The moral of the story is to treat people the way you want to be treated. Hopefully the stereotype won't last much longer.

Drive safe.
Hahahaha got em!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 08:24 PM   #74
simongym
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i Sport

Lately it seems like all of the drivers of 5+ year old Nissan's are the worst, but I've seen rude and courteous drivers of all brands.

I was particularly annoyed today by the driver of a Mercedes SL who passed me on the left right before I indicated and slowed down to turn left into my apartment complex. Despite being annoyed I will say that his car was gorgeous, which slightly made up for it.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 08:39 PM   #75
Saphirschwarz
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2

“been drivin all kind of cars for 17 years , mostly BMW And noW a porsche, And i dont notice anything like that...
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 08:40 PM   #76
pflau
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i xDrive

I am probably a sometimes hated BMW driver as I find myself more aggressive in discouraging other people from driving foolishly.
For instance, just this morning the weather was rainy and slippery, and I was on the left lane of a narrow two lane backroad because the right lane was merging into the left lane in front of a tight single lane S curve. I wasn't catching up to the car in front of me because I was trying to semi-coast toward the curve when all the cars would backed up. The driver of a Toyota that was tailgating me apparently lost his patience, and decided to try to over take me on the right, on a slipper narrow road, when his lane was ending, in front of a tight curve where the cars were backed up. Normally I would just let him pass. But this morning I was just a little p*ssed that some people would pull something like that so as the other driver made a quick maneuver to the right and started to accelerate I stepped on the gas and caught up to the cars at the curve at an instance and thus prevented the other driver from passing.
I drive like a grandma and am an Eco Pro mode addict but sometimes I find myself not the least hesitant to step on the gas because I know there is so much power under the hood.
      05-09-2014, 08:41 PM   #77
Vegetable
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 MT, 2024 X3MC

I live in Humboldt, and mostly everyone seems to be fine with BMWs. Seems like dudes in big trucks are always trying to race, but otherwise the BMW logo is a non-issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 08:46 PM   #78
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i M Sport

I have noticed this since getting my car but I was always aware of the stereotype. What is funny is that I drive an inexpensive model but most people just see the badge and don't know the difference, don't know that my car costs about as much as their new Accord. Mainly they hate BMW drivers because they are often guys like the guy who started the thread on here about how his 335 is in the shop and he's being forced to drive a 'crappy 328i that doesn't feel like a BMW' and how its a massive hardship on him. People don't tend to like people who complain about things like that.

Past: 2014 Black 320i | Sport Pkg | BMS Stage 1
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 08:56 PM   #79
pflau
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsifer View Post
I've had people scream at me because my car is too loud. (Stock exhaust)
lol for real? If you drive it in Eco Pro or Comfort the engine never really gets above 2000RPM how can it be loud?
      05-09-2014, 09:37 PM   #80
Jmpascual
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Competition, G05 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BOY View Post
Two wrongs make a right? You call him an asshole then you do the same thing. What does that make you?
Bringer of justice against dipshit Jersey guidos? Sorry you guys have your panties in a bunch over it.

Want to be a dick on the road? I'll gladly return the favor and then some.

If someone almost ran you off the freeway I'm sure you all would've just politely dealt with it. Sorry, I'll be sure to be more of a pushover as to please the wonderful people on here.
Them Jersey Guidos though! Haha! I'm not gonna lie, I'm always tempted to return the favor to bad drivers. The stupidest driver I've seen was a lady in a crusty old Chrysler Town & Country. We were at a red light with multiple people in front of us. She proceeded to curse at me (for reasons unknown) then drive in the grass to overtake the cars in front and made a U-turn at the red light. She had a mop hanging from the roof rails of her van.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 01:53 AM   #81
Jehuty95
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M4 Competition XDrive

I know how all of you feel. When I had my GTI people let me merge properly, weren't tailgating me, didn't park like 3 inches from my car purposefully so it's difficult to get out when the parking lot is empty. Now with my CLA 45, I find people tailgating me nonstop, don't let me switch lanes, and there's always some dick parking way too close to my car when the parking lot is practically empty. Gotta hate how people act. Just cause you have a more expensive car which you worked for doesn't mean they should be jerks to you. Instead they should work harder themselves, and get a amazing car like a BMW or a AMG. Plus it's just a car geez, don't get why people get so jealous about them, and become a dick to you over them.

P.S I heard the excuse that people park right next to you when you park purposefully far away just because they think that you believe that you're better then you. I say bull to that cause even if I had a old worn out car I'd still park far cause I worked hard to earn the car, and actually care for it.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 03:03 AM   #82
aspensilver
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 540I E39

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
Bringer of justice against dipshit Jersey guidos? Sorry you guys have your panties in a bunch over it.

If someone almost ran you off the freeway I'm sure you all would've just politely dealt with it. Sorry, I'll be sure to be more of a pushover as to please the wonderful people on here.

If the road was closed to the two of you it would be fine, but there are other drivers on the road not involved in your road rage that could be killed or injured from your reckless driving.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 06:25 AM   #83
joewalton
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i Gran Coupé

Guys, you are all missing the point.

BMW is the Ultimate Status Machine and these fits of rage you experience from lesser types is one of the biggest benefits of our cars. Every time I get cut off, I smile. Every time someone slows down in front of me or gives me the finger I laugh and wave back. I look forward to my first keying.

When you drive a car designed to make everyone else jealous, sometimes they get jealous.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 08:09 AM   #84
BimmerQuest
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 35ix M-Sport MPPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post

I'm guessing you (or your loved ones) have never been involved a serious, or even worse fatal, car accident. You do understand you are driving an almost two ton killing machine, right?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 08:11 AM   #85
TomGun
Norway
Rep
Drives: 14 F32 420ixA M-Sport

It's not only with BMW's.... Once, when driving my old Porsche, a guy in a Ford Fiesta drove by me, and immideately slowed down to about 10 km/h below the limit (I was driving at the speed limit beforehand). I slowed down behind him for some km's but then got impatient, as cars was queueing up behind. I drove past him and continued at the speed limit, just for him to do the same shit again, driving past and slowing down to 10 km/h below. This repeated a few times, untill I got sick of it and floored it for a few minutes to get rid of the sucker. 10 mins later he was on my tail again, but this time he ran past me and went away at full throttle, I guess. I continued at normal speed, happy that he left. 5 mins later I saw lots of smoke ahead, There he was, standing at the roadside, motor boiling and pulling his hair. I waved to him and smiled as I passed by.
04 BMW E46 316i Silbergrau metallic -sold
14 BMW F32 420ixA M-Sport Melbourne rot metallic
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 09:07 AM   #86
simongym
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehuty95 View Post
I know how all of you feel. When I had my GTI people let me merge properly, weren't tailgating me, didn't park like 3 inches from my car purposefully so it's difficult to get out when the parking lot is empty. Now with my CLA 45, I find people tailgating me nonstop, don't let me switch lanes, and there's always some dick parking way too close to my car when the parking lot is practically empty. Gotta hate how people act. Just cause you have a more expensive car which you worked for doesn't mean they should be jerks to you. Instead they should work harder themselves, and get a amazing car like a BMW or a AMG. Plus it's just a car geez, don't get why people get so jealous about them, and become a dick to you over them.

P.S I heard the excuse that people park right next to you when you park purposefully far away just because they think that you believe that you're better then you. I say bull to that cause even if I had a old worn out car I'd still park far cause I worked hard to earn the car, and actually care for it.
I've never heard someone admit to doing that in a parking lot, thanks for sharing! I am extremely careful about where I park and so far it has paid off. My wife is always shocked that she gets a new dent or scratch what seems like every week, but I'm never surprised because I've seen how she parks: right up front next to any old hooptie, giant truck, etc. doesn't give it a second thought.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 11:21 AM   #87
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: X5 & 335xi

I have been following this thread and I too have been involved in similar situations. I agree with the guy who said it's all envy. You have what they want and that why they act out like that. Take is as a compliment and move on. Think about it how often do you see or even notice a washed up civic and act out in the same way.

If you get trapped in their envy and start racing then guess what you get a ticket and everytime you look at your licence you remember that's for racing a washed up civic. Lol. It will suck trust me.

Back then when I had a G35/7 I was one of those guys, racing everything in site since I had a point to prove. I got ticketed like crazy and almost reached 12 points. After I got my first BMW I realized there is nothing to prove here and I relish the moment when I can just bow out of a race. If I want to drive fast it will be on my terms when I know there are no cops in sight.

Advice to those who find themselves in racing situations, let the guy lead, you maintain a constant 3 car lengths behind him. At some stage both of you will know the guy in front is underpowered and you back off, licence and ego in place

I am down to 3 points which should be washed away after another year of being a good citizen

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 01:48 PM   #88
pflau
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehuty95 View Post
and there's always some dick parking way too close to my car when the parking lot is practically empty
Haha, the last time I had someone parked right next to me when the entire parking lot is empty was a Mustang convertible.

I took it as a compliment.