F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > couple of issues I have with the car
Extreme Powerhouse

04-12-2012, 11:29 PM   #1
brad0
Private
Rep
Drives: none

couple of issues I have with the car

1. Still can't figure out how to make the backup camera display reverse view by default on engaging reverse. It only wants to show the top down view and I can't find any setting to change it to show the backup camera by default.

2. The headrest angle of the front seats is kinda weird. They lean forward and just aren't comfortable to use. I never want to rest my head on them cos they are at this weird angle and I can't seem to adjust them
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 03:46 AM   #2
d10brp
Rep
Drives: F30 320d ED

Do your headrests not have a button on the side? I have a UK 320d ED, standard seats, and when I press the big button on the side of the headrest it pops back. Then I just push it forward to the position I like.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 12:27 PM   #3
bcl0328
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

there is a button on the side to make them vertical.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 12:28 PM   #4
KneeDragr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Planning 2015 ED :)

Ive never actually rested my head on a headrest, I thought they were more for rear end crashes to protect against neck injuries.

You guys actually rest your head on them huh?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 12:49 PM   #5
pcbrew
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i 6MT

+1 Aren't they actually head restraints not rests?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 01:56 PM   #6
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcbrew View Post
+1 Aren't they actually head restraints not rests?
Correct, they're restraints and should be used as such. Using them as actual headrests may result in a whiplash in case of an accident.

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 02:37 PM   #7
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by svache View Post
Correct, they're restraints and should be used as such. Using them as actual headrests may result in a whiplash in case of an accident.
??

To prevent whiplash there should be as little distance between your head and the rest/restraint as possible so your neck moves back as little as possible when hit from behind. So resting your head on it makes the distance 0.

The E90 Sport seats got a better whiplash rating in crash tests than the normal seats due to the headrests being closer to the drivers head.

Page 49 of the F30 manual says it should be as close as possible to your head.

On teh cars like the 7 Series with active head restraints, the crash system automatically pushes the head restraint forward so it is against or very close to the head to prevent injury.
      04-13-2012, 02:54 PM   #8
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
??

To prevent whiplash there should be as little distance between your head and the rest/restraint as possible so your neck moves back as little as possible when hit from behind. So resting your head on it makes the distance 0.
Sure, but most people, when they use the restraints as a headrest, they want to lean with the bottom part of their head onto the restraint, more at the neck part than the top part, and in case of an accident, the head is still swooped back, over the restraint so to say. The restraints are optimal if they touch the top part of the head, but in that case it is not as comfy any more for most people. That's a bit why I mentioned it.

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 03:05 PM   #9
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Sure, but most people, when they use the restraints as a headrest, they want to lean with the bottom part of their head onto the restraint, more at the neck part than the top part, and in case of an accident, the head is still swooped back, over the restraint so to say. The restraints are optimal if they touch the top part of the head, but in that case it is not as comfy any more for most people. That's a bit why I mentioned it.
People actually rest their head on the top of the restraint ?
In that case its useless and i agree with your statement.
      04-13-2012, 03:29 PM   #10
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
People actually rest their head on the top of the restraint ?
In that case its useless and i agree with your statement.
I wont say all people, but I've seen it happen a couple of times, they claimed it felt better for them.

Of course, if they do it the way it is supposed and find rest that way (meaning the top of the restraint is at the top of their head) then indeed your statement is correct =)

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 04:12 PM   #11
brad0
Private
Rep
Drives: none

hmm, I guess nice qualification on what its called, but the neck/headrest area is still not as comfortable to sit in as my previous Audi. Oh well. That doesn't irritate me as much as the backup camera not working when you change gear to reverse. That one is really irritating. Even the dealer couldn't figure it out after 30 minutes.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 08:54 PM   #12
jtuds
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335rwd Dinan S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by d10brp View Post
Do your headrests not have a button on the side? I have a UK 320d ED, standard seats, and when I press the big button on the side of the headrest it pops back. Then I just push it forward to the position I like.
Does the ED refer to european delivery or is there something specific to the actual vehicle that ED is referring to?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 08:57 PM   #13
jtuds
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335rwd Dinan S2

Quote:
But what if you're tired and want to take a little rest at a red light or on a long, straight stretch of road?

In Canada we call them seat pillows.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 09:02 PM   #14
Raspartan
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuds View Post
In Canada we call them seat pillows.
We do? Anyway, I prefer the support of a headrest and I actually feel uncomfortable if it's missing.
Appreciate 0