F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > All these ACS threads...
Extreme Powerhouse

06-20-2017, 01:59 PM   #1
XAlp
Major
Rep
Drives: Volvo XC90 T6

All these ACS threads...

Well I'm contemplating ACS springs (for about the hundredth time)

Got this message from Deutsche Tech MK. Does this fit with what others have done there?

"An alignment is not included in the price, a geometry is separate (+£80) only a handful of customers decide to have this geometry done additionally."

I'm not trying to check up on them, rather want to double check with you experts what should be done?

Cheers
2018 Volvo XC90 T6 Inscription Pro
2003 Honda S2000
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 02:12 PM   #2
Rbrown
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Find it hard to believe why people wouldn't get it done?

Agree that there are slot of ACS threads....Lorcan will be buying another yacht!!!!
Appreciate 2
JustChris17487.50
CazuaLLUK2221.00
      06-20-2017, 03:03 PM   #3
Darth Helmut
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW F32 435d XD

I think it is strongly advisable to get an alignment done after a few weeks or so once its all settled. Suspension has obviously been tinkered with and its money well spent.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 03:11 PM   #4
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Apologies to Lorcan in advance on this reply, but, the longer I have the ACS springs (and OEM adaptive dampers) on my F31 330sD the more I realise that the rear springs are too soft. They are much better than stock (handling and ride height) but IMHO they aren't optimal : still too much wallow with dampers in Comfort mode. Fronts are fine.

I'd seriously recommend going with a kit that has a higher rear spring rate. The challenge is that most of the suspension manufacturers/suppliers don't (won't) tell you what the spring rates are, and some use the same springs (or coilovers) across saloon and Touring.

As a relatively cheap mod, they're OK, but if you are looking for significant handling improvements I'd go straight to decent coilovers (ACS RS; Bilstein PSS10; etc). If I had my time again I wouldn't spend twice.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 03:15 PM   #5
devil84
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30

on the m135 , babybmw forum, the spring rate on the ACS was exactly the same as Eibach (or vice versa)... It was published on a TUV Certificate...
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 03:23 PM   #6
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAlp View Post
Well I'm contemplating ACS springs (for about the hundredth time)

Got this message from Deutsche Tech MK. Does this fit with what others have done there?

"An alignment is not included in the price, a geometry is separate (+£80) only a handful of customers decide to have this geometry done additionally."

I'm not trying to check up on them, rather want to double check with you experts what should be done?

Cheers
Do you not read this thread? http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1394016

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 04:41 PM   #7
XAlp
Major
Rep
Drives: Volvo XC90 T6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
Thanks - one of so many!

So seems I should check the wheel alignment after a little while. I'm still a little puzzled by their info - is that the same as "geometry" do you reckon for £80? I suppose it's the headlights I'd previously read that Deutsche Tech include in the fitting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
Apologies to Lorcan in advance on this reply, but, the longer I have the ACS springs (and OEM adaptive dampers) on my F31 330sD the more I realise that the rear springs are too soft. They are much better than stock (handling and ride height) but IMHO they aren't optimal : still too much wallow with dampers in Comfort mode. Fronts are fine.
I'd seriously recommend going with a kit that has a higher rear spring rate. The challenge is that most of the suspension manufacturers/suppliers don't (won't) tell you what the spring rates are, and some use the same springs (or coilovers) across saloon and Touring.
As a relatively cheap mod, they're OK, but if you are looking for significant handling improvements I'd go straight to decent coilovers (ACS RS; Bilstein PSS10; etc). If I had my time again I wouldn't spend twice.
Thanks. Would love to look at this but funds limited and sadly not enough spare time to get organised! Also mine isn't adaptive - does that make any difference to your suggestion? Cheers
2018 Volvo XC90 T6 Inscription Pro
2003 Honda S2000
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 04:54 PM   #8
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAlp View Post
Thanks - one of so many!

So seems I should check the wheel alignment after a little while. I'm still a little puzzled by their info - is that the same as "geometry" do you reckon for £80? I suppose it's the headlights I'd previously read that Deutsche Tech include in the fitting?

Thanks. Would love to look at this but funds limited and sadly not enough spare time to get organised! Also mine isn't adaptive - does that make any difference to your suggestion? Cheers
Difficult to say - at least with adaptive the damping can be increased on the fly if more control is required. I've not driven a passively damped F3X, so can't offer an opinion unfortunately.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 02:48 AM   #9
CazuaLLUK
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i Black F30 M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Helmut View Post
I think it is strongly advisable to get an alignment done after a few weeks or so once its all settled. Suspension has obviously been tinkered with and its money well spent.
This, I got mine done 4 weeks after.
Appreciate 1
J60nyn68.00
      06-21-2017, 03:11 AM   #10
Lorcan
The artist formerly known as AC Schnitzer UK
Rep
Drives: The Yellow Peril

We recommend wheel alignment is checked either at the time of fitting or shortly afterwards. Modern stress-relieved springs don't settle much, so there is no real reason to wait.

We recommend alignment with the change of any suspension component for the same reasons BMW do.

1) Because the car may be out of alignment before the springs are fitted and to get the best from them it's worth making sure everything is spot on

2) Because in fitting the springs you are disturbing the suspension components, even if in theory you are putting them back in the same place. For this reason cars often need small adjustments to get the alignment back where it should be.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 03:28 AM   #11
Smee
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F83

why would you want a wheel alignment done?? a 20 to 30mm drop isnt enough to affect the geometry enough to knock it out of the green area.

as Lorcan said you would have to be out in the first place so you would have issues even without lowering springs

also as he mentions it would depend on how they are fitted to what is touched. i did mine and didnt touch any of the parts that affect the geometry just unbolts the hard parts lowered it down and then reinstalled and bolted back up.

Old: F32 435d M Sport - Mods : HR Sport Springs, 20" Veemann V-FS23 in Gun Metal, M Performance Body Kit, Pedal Covers, Eurspec CF Mirror Caps, More-BHP remap 364 BHP 741 NM, M4 Under Chassis Brace, 15mm Rear ARB, 8.8" Screen Retrofit and LCI Stereo facia Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 04:31 AM   #12
SW6Steve
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d

AFAIC wallowing is down to soft damper rates rather than spring. I had eibach springs only at first on my previous car, firmer ride, better in the bends, but wallowed like a b***h! Then fitted eibach pro dampers and the improvement was night and day!
If your not happy with the wallowing in comfort, go to sport on adaptive, that's what it's for!
Also as Lorcan says, your alignment may be out before new springs, and any dismanteled suspension components may not go back exactly the same!
Always get an alignment check to optimise your new kit!
Appreciate 0