F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N20 Fuel rail leak
Studio RSR

11-07-2023, 12:41 AM   #1
rhenier99
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

N20 Fuel rail leak

Hi there, I recently replaced all 4 fuel injectors on my n20, but it seems I didn't tighten down one of the fuel rail connections to the injector enough and got a big leak (I think it was to cyl 2). Unfortunately just as I finished this replacement I had to go pickup a delivery, being rushed I didn't properly check to see if all was well and went ahead - it was quick, about a 3 - 4 minute drive but I kept seeing smoke not realizing it's coming from my bonnet.

I finally parked the car at my home, opened up the bonnet and there was a ton of fuel hovering above the injectors and it pretty much reached all the cylinders just sitting on top and of course it was boiling hot. It managed to ruin the ignition coils burning off the rubber seals, I had to use adhesive to get it out as it was still stuck to the sparkplugs, although I'm quite confident I did this in a non harmful way. I did manage to tighten the fuel rail enough so there's no leaks.

Does anyone have any idea what damage something like this could cause? What do I need to lookout for? Would the plugs be damaged? Injectors? Oil? Needless to say I replaced with old coils so those need changing. The car is throwing a few misfire and cylinder shutdown codes, I'll attach those.

Thanks I appreciate any advice.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0