F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Improvements needed for next generation F30/F32 3-series...
Studio RSR

03-22-2011, 12:03 PM   #23
aljlin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d e90

1. Power adjustment steering wheel with more telescoping
2. Don't put the funky gear shift lever for steptronic cars
3. Make base radio at least competitive with other competitor's base stereo
4. Ventilated Seats
5. Standard bluetooth. BMW can keep BMW assist as a separate option, but bluetooth should really be standard at this price range.
6. definitely closer window controls
7. Unlock the car when the car is in "Park" for Steptronic or at least when engine is shut off.

Some opinions on others' ideas
1. Cruise control should remain as a stalk. It's low enough that it's not too confusing (unlike Mercedes, where it is the uppermost lever on some models) Moving it to buttons on the steering wheel will only add to the amount of buttons on the steering wheel and can make the steering wheel look too cluttered. Don't see how it is in the way personally with it being so low, unless maybe you leave your leg against the floor instead of against the foot rest, which with the knee bent it might hit the cruise control stalk.
2. No to the touch screen! Sure they can make the idrive a little more intuitive, (though I like it the way it is right now) but touchscreen gets dirty from the oil on your fingers, and it's way more distracting and harder to see because the screen will likely be lower and closer to your reach. I like it up higher where it is where it is easy to glance at instructions.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 12:10 PM   #24
nubbmw
Rep
Drives: 328xi

a lot of these suggestions don't actually make engineering sense. but i guess its just a thread with what ppl wants.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 12:14 PM   #25
matrix76
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i Black/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by aljlin View Post

3. Make base radio at least competitive with other competitor's base stereo
+1 ABSOLUTELY, the base radio is aweful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aljlin View Post

7. Unlock the car when the car is in "Park" for Steptronic or at least when engine is shut off.
This can be coded in very easlily, when fob removed, but should have been a standard feature anyways.

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 12:47 PM   #26
e85sbm
Snow Wizard
Canada
Rep
Drives: F10 & E89

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothStyle1 View Post
4) Add tilt-up feature for moon-roof
I would like to add to this,

I would like to have the ability to go from sunroof fully open to vented in one button. We were able to do this on the E46, why not anymore.

Process now is to close roof, wait for it to close completely, then press the button to vent.

One thing I would like to see is to have the window controls moved back to the centre console, so much easier and more intuitive there. But that is a small complaint.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 01:04 PM   #27
hpowders
228i Fanatic
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i and BMW 328i

I didn't read this whole thread so sorry if this has been mentioned already:

1. Make the sport suspension less jarring over potholes and speed bumps.
2. Ditch the RFTs.
3. Do not even attempt to put the mediocre electronically assisted steering found in the 5 Series into the new 3 Series.
4. Do not make the new 3 Series longer and heavier.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 01:48 PM   #28
sneaks
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toker335i View Post
+1

Move the damn unlock button for the doors.. its wackkkk
and ventilated seats.
I like it there.
You can lock passengers in the car and if they don't know where the button is, its confusing for them. funny for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 03:28 PM   #29
BMWDAD
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 Porsche Macan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpowders View Post

2. Ditch the RFTs.
3. Do not even attempt to put the mediocre electronically assisted steering found in the 5 Series into the new 3 Series.
AND 5. make it lighter
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 03:36 PM   #30
BimmerGuyFL
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 BMW 535i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpowders View Post

2. Ditch the RFTs.

Plus + 1,000,000!!!
2013 F10 BMW 535i Alpine White / Oyster Dakota Leather / Anthracite Wood Trim / Steptronic transmission / M Sport Package / Premium Package / Technology Package / Rear-view camera / Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 03:52 PM   #31
E39hijinks
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Lexus

Look. BMW knows what they're doing. The 3-Series has been the icon of the sports sedan ever since its inception. Lets leave the 3-Series to BMW so we don't ruin it (Not that they're building the car based off of comments on a silly thread)--Not to mention you can bet your ar$e that the F3X platform is already 99% finished, if not 100%. Last minute details could include paint choices or pricing--but I wouldn't hold my breath on those either. Every 3-Series generation has been an absolute success. I don't see the trend stopping any time soon.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 04:49 PM   #32
tomz17
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340xi

Quote:
I'm sure BMW reps read this forum. Add your (reasonable) suggestions below.

I'll start:

3) No additional charge for metallic paint
Features cost money. Not sure this is realistic.

Quote:
4) Add tilt-up feature for moon-roof
It already does that.

Quote:
5) Get rid of the cruise control "stalk" and replace with push buttons
The control stalk cruise control is way more intuitive than any button system I've ever used. AFAIK, button systems also universally require some form of safety. E.g. on my old car, you had to arm the system with one button, then set it with another button before cruise would engage. There was a mandatory delay of at least one second between both button pushes to prevent accidental activation.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 02:07 PM   #33
SmoothStyle1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 340i, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by E39hijinks View Post
Look. BMW knows what they're doing. The 3-Series has been the icon of the sports sedan ever since its inception. Lets leave the 3-Series to BMW so we don't ruin it (Not that they're building the car based off of comments on a silly thread)--Not to mention you can bet your ar$e that the F3X platform is already 99% finished, if not 100%. Last minute details could include paint choices or pricing--but I wouldn't hold my breath on those either. Every 3-Series generation has been an absolute success. I don't see the trend stopping any time soon.
Oh, I see, the 3-series is perfect. Fair enough.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 02:29 PM   #34
matrix76
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i Black/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by E39hijinks View Post
Every 3-Series generation has been an absolute success.
Well if that isn't absolute nothing is. There have been a ton of failures in so many different areas when it comes to this brand. And quality in some areas leaves alot to be desired. They better look behind them, Hyundai is catching them, ,

Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 03:42 PM   #35
BimmerGuyFL
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix76 View Post
Well if that isn't absolute nothing is. There have been a ton of failures in so many different areas when it comes to this brand. And quality in some areas leaves alot to be desired. They better look behind them, Hyundai is catching them, ,
+1
2013 F10 BMW 535i Alpine White / Oyster Dakota Leather / Anthracite Wood Trim / Steptronic transmission / M Sport Package / Premium Package / Technology Package / Rear-view camera / Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 11:57 AM   #36
Bartman619
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Coolant Temp gauge
Oil Dipstick (yeah right)
Transmission Dipstick (yeah right)
Nav System (make as Standard Equipment)
HID (make as Standard Equipment)
Spare Tire (make Standard Equipment)
Larger Fuel Tank..18 Gal
More interior storage compartments
Leather interior(make as Standard Equipment)
Use a real Key for ignition.
Alarm (make as Standard Equipment)
Get ride of run-crap tires.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 10:55 PM   #37
timmya
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 50i M-Sport

I badly want more storage. There are ways to add storage without increasing space. For example, under seat storage comparments like Mercedes and Audi. The front seats do not even have pocket in the seatbacks!!!! That was astonishing to me to see BMW did not have those.

IMO, BMW has always tried to eliminate necessities or make them optional. Storage needs to be increased!!

Spare tires should be standard.
Alarms should be standard. I cant believe i even have to say that one.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 12:31 AM   #38
N54B30A
Captain
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 2021 HS M2C

1. An LSD on non-Ms, doesnt even have to be an aggressive gearing, just an LSD.
2. Get rid of auto and replace with DCT or Manual. What is the point of auto when they could easily have DCT.
3. STOP MAKING BIGGER/HEAVIER CARS!!
      03-28-2011, 10:07 AM   #39
rideontwo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VaNOs

1) Get rid of the BS metal trimmings around the window frames, as these tend to fade/oxidize in about a year.
2) Lighter weight
3) Real suspension setup, i.e double wishbone up front and multi-link rear. Not BS front struts.
4) No run-flats
5) Oil dipstick
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 02:54 PM   #40
LarrySinNJ
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i xDrive

• A place for glasses in the headliner, or to replace where the ash tray used to go.
  • Sirius radio functionality currently available on $70 add in units (artist/team memory).

2011 E90 328i xDrive Space Grey/Black Leather(Ret'd)
2009 E90 328i xDrive Monaco Blue/(Ret'd) 2007 E90 328i xDrive Graphite (Ret'd)
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 11:41 PM   #41
spiike32
Major
Rep
Drives: Mineral White F80 M3

1. Hud on the windshield- I'd like boost and tach on the windshield as well as navi guide. Maybe a light or guide to rev match for those that aren't perfect in 6mt. Something like this:

2. Night vision
3. Built in radar detector
4. Turn off 3 cylinders like the newer accord to save on gas mileage on the highway
5. Ventilated Seats
6. Massage Seats (the one in the volkswagon phaeton were nice.. does 7 series even have this?)
7. dynamic suspension (lowers the front of the car on the highway for better aerodynamics. Mercede's does this)
8. standard heated steering wheel

.... of course some of these will make the 3 series the price of a 7 series... but I would never buy something that big. I like the nimble handling and size of the 3. We can dream right?

Current: Tesla Model 3 Performance Retired: F80 M3, FBO 335i, 318ti, C7 Stingray
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 06:26 AM   #42
BMWDAD
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 Porsche Macan

all members of the 5-series family are generally swift, cushy cruisers, with a competent chassis that connects all the dots, with one exception: the numb and artificially heavy electrically assisted power steering. Like the flimsy seats in the Corvette, this is something we’ll continue to rant about until it’s fixed. It is that bad, and the xDrive model’s steering is no different.

Lets hope this review does not filter down to the 3 series.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 09:07 AM   #43
BimmerGuyFL
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWDAD View Post
all members of the 5-series family are generally swift, cushy cruisers, with a competent chassis that connects all the dots, with one exception: the numb and artificially heavy electrically assisted power steering. Like the flimsy seats in the Corvette, this is something we’ll continue to rant about until it’s fixed. It is that bad, and the xDrive model’s steering is no different.

Lets hope this review does not filter down to the 3 series.
That quote is from the new issue of Car&Driver for the 535i xDrive model. What I find interesting is that the xDrive model of the 5-series is Hyrdaulic power steering NOT electric assist. Car&Driver has an error in their review.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 12:21 PM   #44
hotrod2448
grand poobah
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F10 535i

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
  1. Quit making the car bigger. You have the 5 and 7 for big cars, the E90 is already about as big as the older 5er. Enough already.
  2. Loose the RFTs, they are expensive, ride terribly, noisy and don't handle as well as normal tires.
  3. Use plastics that don't peel so quickly. A loaded 335 is over $50K is too much to ask for the plastics to not start peeling within the first two years of ownership?
  4. Use ceramic clear coats like M-B, current paint swirls way too easily and has way too much orange peel for a car in this class. Again lesser cars have better quality paint than either of my 3's did.
  5. Get rid of that ugly hood cut line between it and the bumper. It looks like a complete after thought they they've decided to stick on all models now. Don't tell me it's for pedestrian crash standards, M-B and Audi haven't had to make their hoods start 6" further back.
  6. Better use of storage compartments, most are oddly dimensioned and not really useful.
  7. Ventilated or at the minimum perforated seating. I hate having a sweaty back when I get out of the car.
  8. Some option for an OEM LSD, even if its from the BMW performance parts catalog.
  9. Infrared coating on the windshield, it's nice not to be baked by the sun through the windshield.
  10. Do something about the mildew smell that comes from the A/C. Even if the car just runs the fan for a few a minutes after being turned off when the A/C has been on.
Appreciate 0