F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > NBT iDrive Installation Guide
Studio RSR

02-11-2015, 07:05 PM   #45
Coolala
Private First Class
Japan
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightsabers View Post
It does seem like a bit of a task to remove the cover. I know there's a shop in HK, Pasco-HK that installs NBT & other parts. Might want to check out how much they charge to install it.
Thanks knightsabers! I know how to do that and I can go to buy the GPS antenna very easy in my location. Charge for any installation in HK is pricy, so it's better to do it myself...and most importantly, it needs to take risk of having water leakage
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2015, 03:55 AM   #46
knightsabers
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 v10 Spyder

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolala View Post
Thanks knightsabers! I know how to do that and I can go to buy the GPS antenna very easy in my location. Charge for any installation in HK is pricy, so it's better to do it myself...and most importantly, it needs to take risk of having water leakage
True, the parts not expensive but the labor to install it. Yep, definitely a chance of water leaks, if not done properly or at least wind buffeting & might affect the handling.
      02-12-2015, 10:22 PM   #47
pilotalex14
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 435I Msport 2

Great write up. I just need a clarification of all the parts I need because I bought some stuff from a friend of course missing some parts.
8.8 Screen + cable = Installed
Radio HDD Installed
Nav I drive installed
GPS antenna installed

Now i plugged all of this into my stock wiring which reading this I have come to a conclusion im missing some parts mainly being the wiring harness.

Could you please provide me with the parts I am missing, possibly part numbers.
From my understanding I need

1) New usb port
1) Wiring harness loom
3) Bluetooth antenna
4) Can filter?

Correct?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2015, 06:21 PM   #48
Cosmo1956
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i M Sport

Removing Connectors

Hello there,

I am in the final stages of completing a rear-view camera retrofit for my 2014 F32, and I need to remove four remaining connectors on the back of my CIC. two of your pictures show the same type of connector, but for the life of me I have not been able to figure out how to take them off. They are the blue and black "squarish" type connector with the large metal insert connected to the fairly large black braided wires. The connectors have a push-up tab, which I've pushed up, but don't know what to do now. I don't want to pull too hard since the CIC is so expensive and don't want to damage it.

Any info would be helpful!

Thanks, Michael
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 06:25 AM   #49
knightsabers
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotalex14 View Post
Great write up. I just need a clarification of all the parts I need because I bought some stuff from a friend of course missing some parts.
8.8 Screen + cable = Installed
Radio HDD Installed
Nav I drive installed
GPS antenna installed

Now i plugged all of this into my stock wiring which reading this I have come to a conclusion im missing some parts mainly being the wiring harness.

Could you please provide me with the parts I am missing, possibly part numbers.
From my understanding I need

1) New usb port
1) Wiring harness loom
3) Bluetooth antenna
4) Can filter?

Correct?
Yes, it appears you might require the following:
1. USB Wiring Cable - 61129255716
2. Bluetooth Cable
3. GPS Antenna
4. Touch Input Module - 65829299305
5. Wiring Harness Loom
6. CANBus Filter - Orange loop.

Found a pic online, not mine but should give you a rough idea.
Attached Images

02-23-2015, 06:36 AM   #50
Coolala
Private First Class
Japan
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo1956 View Post
Hello there,

I am in the final stages of completing a rear-view camera retrofit for my 2014 F32, and I need to remove four remaining connectors on the back of my CIC. two of your pictures show the same type of connector, but for the life of me I have not been able to figure out how to take them off. They are the blue and black "squarish" type connector with the large metal insert connected to the fairly large black braided wires. The connectors have a push-up tab, which I've pushed up, but don't know what to do now. I don't want to pull too hard since the CIC is so expensive and don't want to damage it.

Any info would be helpful!

Thanks, Michael

I don't know how to post an image. Maybe my access right is too low. Please refer to the below URL for explanation.

http://postimg.org/image/cvh341flr/
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2016, 10:05 AM   #51
xasomerh
Greece
Rep
Drives: f30 328i

best post ii ever seen on retrofit OEM unit.
congrats

i have a quastions :P
1) i have basic unit with out NBT so i code for sport display and have them but dont work , so i wearch and find that my N20B20 328i f30 bmw must have navi NBT unit like yours ????????????????????

2) i think that many cables for upgrade unit to basic to professional with navi is not on my car so must buy the extra.

3) can my BMW customer service code it . and if they can do it then when for some reason go in future for update then lost all and must coding again?

4) i am from Greece and i found one unit with navi NBT touch idrive on latvia. can i use it or i will have problem with lunguage and area? ( i suppose tha with coding give unit area and language we want ) ?????????????????????

thanks

AND SORRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY for bad bad english.
as i said is like yours GREEKS hehehehehehehehhehheheheheh

THANKS IN ADVANCE
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 07:25 PM   #52
knightsabers
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by xasomerh View Post
congrats

1) i have basic unit with out NBT so i code for sport display and have them but dont work , so i wearch and find that my N20B20 328i f30 bmw must have navi NBT unit like yours ????????????????????

2) i think that many cables for upgrade unit to basic to professional with navi is not on my car so must buy the extra.

3) can my BMW customer service code it . and if they can do it then when for some reason go in future for update then lost all and must coding again?

4) i am from Greece and i found one unit with navi NBT touch idrive on latvia. can i use it or i will have problem with lunguage and area? ( i suppose tha with coding give unit area and language we want ) ?????????????????????

thanks

THANKS IN ADVANCE
Thanks

1. Yes, that's correct. Unfortunately, Sport displays are part of NBT.

2. If your car didn't have the Navigation pack before you will need to install an additional antenna and wire loom to feed the signal.

3. Not sure about your local BMW, mine refused to code the car as it voids the warranty & only accept factory equipped vehicles. As for updates the Navigation unit can't be read to update the iDrive firmware but other than no issues with servicing etc. No loss of data or codes, just not official updates, you can get updates from the coder or NBT seller.

4. Yes it's possible to use a different region for the head unit they can code & update the languages but it's much more difficult best to get the same region. In addition the touch module might not recognize Greek which you might need to get EURO touch recognition module.

In mine I have Greek, Spanish, French, German, English, Russian etc since mine is for a European region. My coder helped me add additional Asian languages eg. Japanese, Chinese, Korean etc, however it took them awhile to get it working.
      02-27-2016, 02:38 PM   #53
JOE YOUNG
SEAL TEAM SIX
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 E90 E84 F30 X3G01 LCI

Quote:
Yes, if you retrofit NBT into a vehicle without certain functions & you add it. Before returning to Dealer for major servicing you will need to remove NBT and install the old CIC system. For minor service I advise the technicians to not update the iDrive to avoid voiding the activation code.
Ouch.
      02-27-2016, 03:26 PM   #54
tomsab0
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F48

Quote:
Yes, it appears you might require the following:
1. USB Wiring Cable - 61129255716
2. Bluetooth Cable
3. GPS Antenna
4. Touch Input Module - 65829299305
5. Wiring Harness Loom
6. CANBus Filter - Orange loop.
Sorry for my stupid questions, but after reading your DIY there are still some remaining questions:
From where do the 2 new wires come, which you have connected to the idrive controller? Are they part of the extra quadlock wiring loom? If yes, where have you bought it from?
You wrote, that you have connected the idrive controller plug to the Aux In... From where is the new plug for the controller?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 10:52 PM   #55
knightsabers
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsab0 View Post
Sorry for my stupid questions, but after reading your DIY there are still some remaining questions:
From where do the 2 new wires come, which you have connected to the idrive controller? Are they part of the extra quadlock wiring loom? If yes, where have you bought it from?
You wrote, that you have connected the idrive controller plug to the Aux In... From where is the new plug for the controller?
1. The iDrive controller cable is reused but with a slight mod of the pins which is then fed into the touch module to form a 'Y' cable to the Controller itself.

2. I purchased the harness & headunit as a kit from elebest in Singapore.

3. The AUX cable remains untouched only the USB cable (Khaki) is altered, connecting the back of the headunit & weaved back into the armrest.
      02-29-2016, 01:39 AM   #56
tomsab0
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F48

Ok, I was confused, because below the picture of the USB plug you wrote: "Connect the khaki cable to USB Connection trim and the other end of the modified iDrive cable"
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 11:42 AM   #57
peikko
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by xasomerh View Post
congrats

thanks

THANKS IN ADVANCE
Nearly 90% of the NBTs on ebay are from Latvia; Nothing suspicious, just saying

In answer to 2 though - you only need 2 cables (Basic is the easiest to upgrade)

1. GPS antenna (get a magnetic one and stick it inside the dashboard - it worked for me and was pretty accurate. When I restored my car to stock to trade it the antenna hadn't even moved despite our rubbish UK roads!!!!)

2. Emulator cable (Emtronica on Ebay do them at a good price). You plug this inbetween the quadlock from the car to the NBT.

You may need to open up centre console and rotate your USB (next to AUX)by 180 degrees (involves shaving a pin off it).

Everything else from HU_Entry to NBT just plugs in.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 11:51 AM   #58
peikko
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Knightsabers,

What age of car and navigation package did you originally have? I have a UK car with Advanced Business Media and Navigation and the Headunit is single-din not the double-din one you have?

My last car had HU_entry and it is so much easier to upgrade to NBT and I have a couple of questions that I hope you don't mind answering..

1. Microphones - do you have passenger & driver mics as I want to know if there is a point you can get access to all four wires?
2. Where did you stick your Bluetooth antenna? I am thinking either hide it in the centre console or shove it up in the dash somewhere!
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 11:55 AM   #59
peikko
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE YOUNG View Post
Ouch.
I left my NBT in when I got it serviced and warranty work and the dealership didn't even comment

Although BMW online stopped working but it is pretty crap imho
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 06:00 PM   #60
knightsabers
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsab0 View Post
Ok, I was confused, because below the picture of the USB plug you wrote: "Connect the khaki cable to USB Connection trim and the other end of the modified iDrive cable"
Sorry for the misleading info, must've been a typo at that point
      02-29-2016, 06:03 PM   #61
knightsabers
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by peikko View Post
Nearly 90% of the NBTs on ebay are from Latvia; Nothing suspicious, just saying

In answer to 2 though - you only need 2 cables (Basic is the easiest to upgrade)

1. GPS antenna (get a magnetic one and stick it inside the dashboard - it worked for me and was pretty accurate. When I restored my car to stock to trade it the antenna hadn't even moved despite our rubbish UK roads!!!!)

2. Emulator cable (Emtronica on Ebay do them at a good price). You plug this inbetween the quadlock from the car to the NBT.

You may need to open up centre console and rotate your USB (next to AUX)by 180 degrees (involves shaving a pin off it).

Everything else from HU_Entry to NBT just plugs in.
I've noticed that too, got the M6 paddle shifters & M3 Instrument cluster from Lativa, nothing sus

Mine came with 3M double sided tape which I left unpeeled and shoved into the centre console. No issues with reception luckily
      02-29-2016, 06:06 PM   #62
knightsabers
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I left my NBT in when I got it serviced and warranty work and the dealership didn't even comment

Although BMW online stopped working but it is pretty crap imho
I couldn't be bothered with restoring it to stock just took it in, the dealer didn't even notice they just found it strange it wasn't updating

Since my warranty ended recently might return it to stock & start looking at an upgrade
      02-29-2016, 06:14 PM   #63
knightsabers
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Knightsabers,

What age of car and navigation package did you originally have? I have a UK car with Advanced Business Media and Navigation and the Headunit is single-din not the double-din one you have?

My last car had HU_entry and it is so much easier to upgrade to NBT and I have a couple of questions that I hope you don't mind answering..

1. Microphones - do you have passenger & driver mics as I want to know if there is a point you can get access to all four wires?
2. Where did you stick your Bluetooth antenna? I am thinking either hide it in the centre console or shove it up in the dash somewhere!
Mine is a 2012 build MY13 with Business Navigation initially. Upgraded to Professional NBT navigation 2013 build.

1. I have both the drivers/passengers microphone, I removed the door seals fed the microphone cable from the headunit to the side of the center console up the door seals into the headliner. Disconnected the original and cable tied it.

2. I just stuffed mine into the center console no issues with connectivity but it did pose a little tight as the Double Din headunit took up most of the space.
      03-02-2016, 11:43 AM   #64
peikko
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Mine is a 2012 build MY13 with Business Navigation initially. Upgraded to Professional NBT navigation 2013 build.

1. I have both the drivers/passengers microphone, I removed the door seals fed the microphone cable from the headunit to the side of the center console up the door seals into the headliner. Disconnected the original and cable tied it.

2. I just stuffed mine into the center console no issues with connectivity but it did pose a little tight as the Double Din headunit took up most of the space.
Thanks, I saw what you did and will be copying it

1. Sorry my question was a bit unclear - i am more wondering about the actual wiring rather than running of the cable. Are the mics run on separate wires 2+2 or are they only on 2 wires. Did you splice the cabling or is there a connector ( I am colour blind and really don't want to have to do any wiring!!!)

2. That is what I was thinking of doing or pulling it into the centre console somehow. I remember that getting the NBT back into the car with an emulator was a bit of a pain last time.

This was soooo much easier with HU Entry....
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 11:47 AM   #65
peikko
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I couldn't be bothered with restoring it to stock just took it in, the dealer didn't even notice they just found it strange it wasn't updating

Since my warranty ended recently might return it to stock & start looking at an upgrade
I just traded in and was offered £12k for the car with or without the NBT. The BMW Dealership actually said they preferred it as stock so I removed the NBT.. Just shows you they look at the condition, age, mileage and then a price book!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 08:03 PM   #66
MSportTune2
First Lieutenant
Aland Islands
Rep
Drives: F30 MSport

Quote:
True, the parts not expensive but the labor to install it. Yep, definitely a chance of water leaks, if not done properly or at least wind buffeting & might affect the handling.
How is the antenna cap attach back? Installer here just glue it back. I heard BMW use a special double sided tape to attach the cap back. I have not been successful finding it.
Appreciate 0