F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Weird acceleration problem
proTUNING Freaks

09-23-2017, 06:33 PM   #23
Dr Forinor
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullym6 View Post
That?s a shame to hear that headoffice at DMS aren?t interested. Hope you get it sorted and sorry I can?t be of any help
I was/am surprised at the reception I have been getting I must admit.

Thanks for trying anyway mate, appreciated!
Coding. LED Front Fogs. DIY Driver Glovebox. KW Street Comfort. 15mm Rear ARB. Tarox SS Brake Lines. Motorwerks Remap. DIY Rear 12v Socket. M Performance Discs. Tarox Strada Pads. Spacers (10mm & 12mm). Head Unit USB Cable. Rear Diffuser. Rear Light Tints. Non RFTs.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 03:23 AM   #24
McBeemer
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 335d Xd MSport Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Forinor View Post
Do you know of any reliable, decent companies in Scotland that will do a good remap?
Your question was a dealer in Scotland, so Falkland Performance Centre in Glenrothes, who are a Superchips agent. They did my 320d which ran faultlessly for over 50k miles with the remap & they are also very helpful.

That said, I am considering using Avon on my new 335d, whom Darth Helmut has used on his 435d and rates highly. They are based in Bristol.

Gone: 2015 F31 320d M Sport Xdrive Auto
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 03:35 AM   #25
Dr Forinor
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBeemer View Post
Your question was a dealer in Scotland, so Falkland Performance Centre in Glenrothes, who are a Superchips agent. They did my 320d which ran faultlessly for over 50k miles with the remap & they are also very helpful.

That said, I am considering using Avon on my new 335d, whom Darth Helmut has used on his 435d and rates highly. They are based in Bristol.
Yes I remember you saying.

Why are you not going with Falkland Performance for your 335d?
Coding. LED Front Fogs. DIY Driver Glovebox. KW Street Comfort. 15mm Rear ARB. Tarox SS Brake Lines. Motorwerks Remap. DIY Rear 12v Socket. M Performance Discs. Tarox Strada Pads. Spacers (10mm & 12mm). Head Unit USB Cable. Rear Diffuser. Rear Light Tints. Non RFTs.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 03:40 AM   #26
McBeemer
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

I'm still undecided, but the torque graph on the Avon map looks very good. I've still to get in touch with Falkland to see if they have a more up to date graph available. They were very good to deal with last time round, although I never had to test their after sales since it's never been required!!

Last edited by McBeemer; 09-24-2017 at 03:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 08:52 AM   #27
1966-TR4
Captain
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F31 330D xDrive MPPK ACS

It is either the map or the throttle position sensor. If you had a petrol it might be a sticky throttle body or similar.

Gone but not forgotten: 1967 Triumph GT6 Mk1 (6 pot 2 litre widowmaker) 1966 Triumph TR4A (4 pot 2.2 litre, huge torque, lovely car) 2004 Audi TT 3.2 DSG Quattro (weak springs & nose heavy) 2006 VW Golf GTI (brilliant on good tyres)
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 01:01 PM   #28
NanasBack
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: EB 335 oil burner

I think there used to be two sensors in the pedal unit. Position values were compared and a fault flagged if they were significantly different. Have you checked for a fault code?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 02:15 PM   #29
Dr Forinor
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanasBack View Post
I think there used to be two sensors in the pedal unit. Position values were compared and a fault flagged if they were significantly different. Have you checked for a fault code?
I don't know how to do that?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 02:16 PM   #30
Dr Forinor
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966-TR4 View Post
It is either the map or the throttle position sensor. If you had a petrol it might be a sticky throttle body or similar.
I'll try and get BMW to check it?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 02:38 PM   #31
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
I'll try and get BMW to check it?
Surely you need to get the map off, to prove whether the issue is there at present, (or not), without the map.

Quote:
I had the car for a couple of weeks before I got my remap done, and never experienced this issue once. It was only after the remap that I experienced this.
Or are you flagging the map to the dealer, to explain when the issue came about? If not, won't it get complicated, if they waste time, to then find a map is on the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 06:42 PM   #32
Dr Forinor
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

HighlandPete Well this is the advice I'm trying to get from you knowledgeable folk. The guy I spoke to from the remap company is adamant his remap that was applied had been checked over by more than 1 person in his team and that it should not be causing the problem that I'm describing. He said it's to do with something else on the car.

According to him, one of the other cars he's remapped was an M5 who was having issues with whatever. The owner of the M5 took it to BMW without removing the map, BMW did a whole lot of tests on the M5 and eventually found the problem but never found that it had been remapped. His words.

So which way do I go?

Last edited by Dr Forinor; 09-25-2017 at 02:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 04:36 AM   #33
Dr Forinor
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

The car is booked in with BMW this Wednesday, (with the map in place).
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 07:02 AM   #34
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Without removing the remap it’s a bit of a gamble taking it to the dealer. The way your car is at the moment – you've no warranty on many engine/gearbox related components *IF* they find the remap.

But there have been comments on here that dealers have not found DMS remaps, so hopefully you will be ok. That’s unless they drive it of course.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 07:23 AM   #35
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
Without removing the remap it’s a bit of a gamble taking it to the dealer. The way your car is at the moment – you've no warranty on many engine/gearbox related components *IF* they find the remap.

But there have been comments on here that dealers have not found DMS remaps, so hopefully you will be ok. That’s unless they drive it of course.
Can depend on how the engine is interrogated. Something really odd it can be linked to Germany. BMW will know, if they 'want' to find the map.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 08:15 AM   #36
Dr Forinor
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

So the majority (and safe) advise is to have remap removed first?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 08:52 AM   #37
Dr Forinor
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Only reason for my confusion is because DMS are adamant that it simply cannot be the remap at fault, and the reluctance of removing it.

Last edited by Dr Forinor; 09-25-2017 at 09:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 08:58 AM   #38
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Only reason for my confusion is because DMS are adamant that it simply cannot the remap at fault, and the reluctance of removing it.
Surely DMS, or one of their agents, have the facilities to run BMW diagnostics on your car, without getting BMW involved at this stage.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 09:32 AM   #39
Dr Forinor
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Surely DMS, or one of their agents, have the facilities to run BMW diagnostics on your car, without getting BMW involved at this stage.
When I told them the issue, on more than 1 phone call, their reply was basically "it's nothing to do with our remap, it's your car, you need to get your car checked". And I'm pretty much quoting there.

The whole demeanour over the phone isn't of a company/person (I have only had contact with the same person each time) who wants to be helpful. If they had said "let us try and diagnose your car" I would have absolutely jumped at the chance.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 09:37 AM   #40
Sullym6
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Not got it yet

I know this thread isn?t about bashing DMS but it is making me rather angry as this is the end part of an email sent to me from DMS

?This price includes our full aftersales software support package, this is three years of unlimited callouts to either reinstall the software if it is overwritten during a software update from the main dealer, also if it is going in for any warranty work where the car will be test driven we will revert the car to standard to ensure the obvious power increases do not provoke any questioning from the warranty manager. These callouts are unlimited, free of charge, and we will come to any location required. This is the additional value that you are paying for with a DMS remap.?

Glad I didn?t choose them
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 09:47 AM   #41
McBeemer
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullym6 View Post
I know this thread isn?t about bashing DMS but it is making me rather angry as this is the end part of an email sent to me from DMS

?This price includes our full aftersales software support package, this is three years of unlimited callouts to either reinstall the software if it is overwritten during a software update from the main dealer, also if it is going in for any warranty work where the car will be test driven we will revert the car to standard to ensure the obvious power increases do not provoke any questioning from the warranty manager. These callouts are unlimited, free of charge, and we will come to any location required. This is the additional value that you are paying for with a DMS remap.?

Glad I didn?t choose them
It doesn't stack up financially for them to do everything mentioned

Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 09:55 AM   #42
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:
So the majority (and safe) advise is to have remap removed first?
I see you have a couple of options:

1) Leave the remap on and take it to the dealer and hope they don’t find the remap – find the fault and fix it.
2) Take the remap off to see if the fault goes away – if it does then kick DMS’s ass. If the fault is still there, take it to the dealer with the confidence that it should get fixed without the worry of the remap and warranty issues.

To me the logical thing to do as Pete said is get the map removed and see how the car performs as a stock car.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 10:15 AM   #43
Dr Forinor
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

I've contacted DMS to get my remap removed. I'm waiting on a call back from them, which realistically means I will be calling them back - as they have never once returned any of my calls since this issue started.

Last edited by Dr Forinor; 09-25-2017 at 10:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 04:28 PM   #44
DriveS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

I second option 2. As you mentioned the issue started when you got the map on. So its either the map or a high chance that the map caused whatever issue you have.

If DMS are so confident that the map will not be found, then tell them they can pay for any work that BMW charge for if they find the map, when it should have been warranty. Why should you take the risk?

How soon after driving the car with the map on did the issue start?
Appreciate 0