F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > iDrive & radio not turning off when car is off and locked - FIXED
Extreme Powerhouse

09-18-2017, 05:08 PM   #1
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

iDrive & radio not turning off when car is off and locked - FIXED

Hey guys, ive having an issue with my 2017 330xi, when i turn off the car and lock it, my idrive screen continues to be on and radio will play (unless i mute it) for 15-20min until the car automatically just shuts it off. When i turn off car, i make sure ignition is also off and the instrument cluster completely turns off and lights and everything shuts down on the car, but the idrive will remain on. I dont have any codes, all my fuses and relays seem to be good as well. I also have a 2016 F80 with idrive and both cars have comfort access and on F80 when i turn off ignition the idrive and radio turn off completely.

Has anyone had anything like and what was causing the issue?

I searched and found some similar issues on older bmw's and those were solved by unplugging battery replacing a bad fuse. I tried unplugging the battery and checked all my fuses and the issue still persists.

Last edited by IK6SPEED; 08-01-2019 at 11:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 03:41 PM   #2
jeffc83
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i XDrive Luxury Line

Assuming you are a first time "late gen" BMW owner, I'll take a stab at this: when you shut the car off, do you press the button once or twice? Once shuts the car off and leaves accessory mode on. Twice shuts the car completely down. For some reason, I thought it also shut off if I forgot "push #2" and opened the door but it's been a bit since I've tested that so don;t quote me on that last part haha.

That seat was meant to be used, are you going to deny it's purpose in life?
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50
      09-19-2017, 04:01 PM   #3
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffc83 View Post
when you shut the car off, do you press the button once or twice? Once shuts the car off and leaves accessory mode on. Twice shuts the car completely down.
I never press twice, because everything shuts down when the car is locked. The auxiliary outlets stay on for a few minutes, then they shut down as well.
OP, you've got a problem, because the iDrive should shut off when the engine is shut off. The radio should stay on, but only until you lock the car.
Appreciate 1
jeffc83722.00
      09-19-2017, 05:02 PM   #4
jeffc83
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz
Quote:
when you shut the car off, do you press the button once or twice? Once shuts the car off and leaves accessory mode on. Twice shuts the car completely down.
I never press twice, because everything shuts down when the car is locked. The auxiliary outlets stay on for a few minutes, then they shut down as well.
OP, you've got a problem, because the iDrive should shut off when the engine is shut off. The radio should stay on, but only until you lock the car.
Understandable however, I was instructed by the dealer to press twice when I bought the car. So you don't have to, great! I still will because that's what I'm used to. Probably because I sit in my car for about 5 before heading into the office with everything OFF

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 05:48 PM   #5
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Understandable however, I was instructed by the dealer to press twice when I bought the car. So you don't have to, great! I still will because that's what I'm used to. Probably because I sit in my car for about 5 before heading into the office with everything OFF
This is my 3rd F30 throughout the years, lol so not new to the platform, yea I tried pressing the button once and twice, same issue. and when you lock the car, it should turn everything off, but mine doesnt do that. thast why i decided to post here, but i took it into the shop today, will see what they say.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 06:09 PM   #6
jeffc83
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED
Quote:
This is my 3rd F30 throughout the years, lol so not new to the platform, yea I tried pressing the button once and twice, same issue. and when you lock the car, it should turn everything off, but mine doesnt do that. thast why i decided to post here, but i took it into the shop today, will see what they say.
Sorry about that. I saw your post count after Bill posted and thought "yep, something must be wrong" as he's not one of those that can't even get it into drive I saw yet another new owner take delivery when picking up my car and she looked so damn confused as the sales advisor was going over the car lol.

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 06:40 PM   #7
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

I don't push twice because that leaves the radio on, reminding me to lock it when I get out of the car.
When it's your first BMW confusion will be abundant. I watched every BMW tutorial video at least three times before taking delivery, so I was prepared, but it still took me at least a month to get used to the wacky shift lever, especially with regards to putting it into park. I could say I never did get used to it, as I developed the habit of not putting it into park, instead just turning off the engine, which does it for you.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 09:25 PM   #8
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Had it fixed by a local shop, they needed to do some reprogramming for the car and fixed the issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 04:52 AM   #9
rlmesq
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i M Sport

I've coded mine to shut off when the driver's door is opened. The coding apps will probably do it, too.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 11:40 AM   #10
paul1603
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i

I just replaced my 2016 320i with a 2019 330i. I park my car in the garage at night. For the old car, i just push the stop/start button 2 times so the car will completely shut off, then i will just leave my key in the car with doors unlocked. Now with this new 2019 model, after i park the car, the 2nd push of the stop/start button won't do anything, the screens will still be on unless i open the door, then everything will shut off. But i normally need to grab my stuff from the passenger seat, so i will need to open that door, then everything turns back on, it's super frustrating... And this happens to my partner's new 2019 x3 too..
Appreciate 0