F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > A week after he bought it, I finally spent some time driving my SO's Acura TLX
GetBMWParts

02-25-2015, 07:33 PM   #45
Ali Shiralian
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xdrive, 2014 X5 3.5d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Shiralian View Post
Don't see the picture attachment but I hope you meant the NSX.
One of the best handling cars I ever owned was the 1988 Honda Prelude 4WS. To this day I don't know why they discontinued that. The sexiest car for that time and again handling was superb.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 01:22 AM   #46
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_phew View Post
so why would you compromise on an Acura that brings nothing special?
Actually, that seems to be exactly the appeal. Turbos and/or AWD that add performance also make the cars more expensive to maintain in the long haul and the 'sporty' cars tend to have less sound proofing

Buyer wanted a commuter appliance that would last a long time with minimal issues. Makes sense to get the acura, because the fact it has the same low output engine as 10 years ago means it should be extremely reliable
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 05:43 AM   #47
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

It's not exactly the same engine as the old 2.4L. Direct injection along with other tweaks, and 206 HP out of a normally-aspirated 4-banger is pretty darn good. Without the turbo charger, how much power would my 328's 2.0 I4 put out? The power output is also quite linear. It's a nice engine, as competent and unobtrusive as the rest of the car is. :-)
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 10:37 AM   #48
the_phew
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 GTI 6MT, was 320i ZSP/ZMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Actually, that seems to be exactly the appeal. Turbos and/or AWD that add performance also make the cars more expensive to maintain in the long haul and the 'sporty' cars tend to have less sound proofing
The OP's SO definitely bought the right car for them, I'm not disputing that.

I'm just lamenting that Acura no longer makes a car for me, which is a shame since I loved my TSX 6MT for a decade and would have happily returned to the brand if they made any attempt to earn my business.

Heck, a TLX Type S with Honda's new turbo engine, AWD, 6MT, and sportier steering/suspension would probably entice me back. That's basically an A4 that you wouldn't be terrified to own past the warranty.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 12:27 PM   #49
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Yeah, I'm lamenting that as well. My foray into BMW-land includes my first AT cars and 4-door cars that I've ever paid real money for. I'm OK with the AT, but the rear doors are rarely used. A 2-series or a 4 is in my future unless another company makes something that I want.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 08:57 PM   #50
skw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeezz View Post
I'm glad that Acura has at least moved closer in spirit to the 2004-2008 3G TL that was a hit (as much of a hit as FWD lux sedans can be). The 4G TL was just an ugly beast that was way too long and heavy.
I still have love for the 3G '07 & '08 TL Type-S. A lil heavier than I would like (approx 3500lbs), but w/ the 6mt & LSD, it's a fun car, a go-cart kind of fun. You do get the torque steer but the seat fits me almost perfectly and it's one of the only other cars besides a BMW that puts a smile on my face. I always tell my wife that if for whatever reason things change and we have to give up the MB & BMW, that's the car I'm getting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTerp View Post
So true and same for just about all of the Japanese cars. My God, how long is Toyota going to keep their 3.5L V6 unchanged? Don't even mention Subaru. Minor tweaks to their engines in two decades. Whatever. I am not buying any of them.
Toyota & Honda seem to be riding out that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" train of thought when it comes to the engines. And hey, with only a few technological tweaks here and there, their cars are still selling.
'07 4Runner V8 Limited 4WD

Last edited by skw; 02-26-2015 at 10:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 08:24 AM   #51
the_phew
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 GTI 6MT, was 320i ZSP/ZMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by skw View Post
Toyota & Honda seem to be riding out that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" train of thought when it comes to the engines. And hey, with only a few technological tweaks here and there, their cars are still selling.
Actually, Toyota has arguably the most advanced n/a V6 on the market, the 2GR-FXE used in the GS 450h and soon the new Tacoma. Atkinson cycle, VVT-i, cooled EGR system, multiport indirect+direct injection. Granted, most of their lineup still uses the decade-old precursor to this engine, but the tech is there.

I can't defend Honda's SOHC V6 from a technology standpoint, but at least it sounds nice and loves to rev.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 02:57 AM   #52
caycep
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
At least on paper the 2016 models look "OK". I think the SH-AWD one is what makes the TLX at least competitive w/ the Audi's of the world, if not the BMW's, and once they figure out that newfangled transmission.

The ILX got a bump in HP and some chassis and suspension tuning, so should at least go head to head w/ the A3/A4 1.8T.

The Lexus IS for RWD + reliability, although I am hoping BMW shapes up in this dept...maybe Z5 partnership w/ Toyota could yield some dividends
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 02:58 AM   #53
caycep
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by skw View Post
I still have love for the 3G '07 & '08 TL Type-S. A lil heavier than I would like (approx 3500lbs), but w/ the 6mt & LSD, it's a fun car, a go-cart kind of fun. You do get the torque steer but the seat fits me almost perfectly and it's one of the only other cars besides a BMW that puts a smile on my face. I always tell my wife that if for whatever reason things change and we have to give up the MB & BMW, that's the car I'm getting.

Their engines DO last forever...
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 12:37 PM   #54
EvenKeel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Sedan

Acura is where it is today due to its stubborn insistence on maintaining its FWD & transverse engine platforms. They've tried to inject some sense of sportiness using clever torque vectoring AWD tech but it just hasn't worked out. Their exterior design philosophy hasn't panned out as well; just screams plain/bland.

Furthermore, launching a $150K+ halo vehicle (NSX) isn't going to do anything for the rest of the brand lineup.

Nissan/Infiniti is a much more credible Japanese automaker when it comes to RWD sporting vehicles. Yes, their VQ series engines have become seriously long in the tooth. Once they modernize/revamp their engine lineup; they'll dominate the Japanese sports sedan and sports coupe market.
Appreciate 0