F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > iPod not working
ARMA SPEED

03-31-2012, 04:08 PM   #89
tcraft
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 X40i

Picked up the Y Cable today. Everything now works with iPods as it should. Sound quality is fantastic and navigation using iDrive is much faster than with a thumb drive (in my experience).
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 04:24 PM   #90
SCBimmerKid
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcraft View Post
Picked up the Y Cable today. Everything now works with iPods as it should. Sound quality is fantastic and navigation using iDrive is much faster than with a thumb drive (in my experience).
Good to hear (no pun intended ) the quality is still there.

*NO LONGER ON ORDER* '12 328i Mineral Grey Metallic w/black leather/aluminum&black gloss trim/ZSL/ZPP/Xenons
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 05:14 PM   #91
PrinceBarin
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 CP (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBimmerKid
I'm a little disappointed that BMW doesn't let you plug in the iPod with the white cable as standard. A 16,000 dollar Kia comes with that as standard, and I'm paying close to 45 k for a luxury sport sedan and can't plug it in? Also, a 35,000 dollar base Infiniti G sedan with no navigation comes with a 30 gig hard drive. It makes BMW look a little money hungry, but who isn't these days. Literally, this is my only problem with the new 3 series. (Obviously, it didn't keep me from buying one. ) Anyone know if the Y-cable has any noticeable effect on quality of sound?
+1 and then some.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 11:29 PM   #92
335R1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

For the last two days, I thought it was my ipod. Now I know. BMWNA is getting a complaint mail from me. My dealer owes me a y-cable.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 07:10 PM   #93
pcbrew
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i 6MT

A guy on bimmerfest is saying that 2/2012 parts database shows all F30 getting the basic combox, which should mean the Apple cable should work without Nav or Assist.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...74&postcount=8

Can folks without Nav or Assist report build date and whether the Apple cable works to control and playback music?
Hint, enter last 7 digits of VIN in serial # field at this link to build build month: http://realoem.com/bmw/select.do?vin=
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 09:56 PM   #94
SD_E88
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12' 135i E88 Black

This thread has been NUTS!

Your iPod should/will work WITHOUT a ycable. All you need is your iPod, and a standard white apple cable plugged into the USB port.

In iDrive select Audio and select CD/External Devices. The USB logo will show up and the name of your iPod will be next to it. Select your iPod and you will be able to navigate your Songs/Playlists/Artists.

This is a STANDARD feature on all US F30 328i. No navigation, no enhanced Bluetooth, just a base level F30. If your iPod is not working it is most likely the cable. Get a new one!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 11:09 PM   #95
pcbrew
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i 6MT

That's what I thought too, but some of the first people to get cars said it did not work if their config was no Nav and no Assist - they had to use the Y-cable. Even that BMW omniscient E90Fleet confirmed it.

Now another poster says that it should work, given some build config data as of Feb builds. Who knows? I don't have my car yet, but I ordered both Nav & Assist so that won't tell us anything.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 11:21 PM   #96
jgrasty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD_F30 View Post
This thread has been NUTS!

Your iPod should/will work WITHOUT a ycable. All you need is your iPod, and a standard white apple cable plugged into the USB port.

In iDrive select Audio and select CD/External Devices. The USB logo will show up and the name of your iPod will be next to it. Select your iPod and you will be able to navigate your Songs/Playlists/Artists.

This is a STANDARD feature on all US F30 328i. No navigation, no enhanced Bluetooth, just a base level F30. If your iPod is not working it is most likely the cable. Get a new one!
This is not correct. A y-cable is required, if you don't have BMW Assist. Car built in Jan.

Last edited by jgrasty; 04-17-2012 at 11:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 11:22 PM   #97
sleedawg
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i & 2011 335i

My vehicle was one of the first off the line. There was a software update for the multimedia and telephone portion of the iDrive system since the original launch. I believe they're on version 3.5.4. Most of you will have the most recent software. But for of us really early adopters, I will tell you it was a PITA to get the iPhone or other iPod devices to work regardless of which cable you used prior to this update. I've had instances where the media device would be recognized and then not. And sometimes the system would reboot. After the update, it's been pretty flawless.

To update your software, go to www.bmw.com/update and enter your vin. It will tell you what the latest software should be and how to install it.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 11:23 PM   #98
PrinceBarin
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

I am going to be mightily upset if my January-built car is wholly reliant on a Y cable (which I am sure it will be) and I find out Feb-built cars will work just fine using a common Apple cable!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 11:31 PM   #99
jgrasty
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleedawg View Post
My vehicle was one of the first off the line. There was a software update for the multimedia and telephone portion of the iDrive system since the original launch. I believe they're on version 3.5.4. Most of you will have the most recent software. But for of us really early adopters, I will tell you it was a PITA to get the iPhone or other iPod devices to work regardless of which cable you used prior to this update. I've had instances where the media device would be recognized and then not. And sometimes the system would reboot. After the update, it's been pretty flawless.

To update your software, go to www.bmw.com/update and enter your vin. It will tell you what the latest software should be and how to install it.
I did this procedure a few weeks ago and my car, built Jan 12, already has that version. Perhaps the dealer did it before I picked up the car on Feb18.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 01:38 AM   #100
PrinceBarin
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrasty
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleedawg View Post

I did this procedure a few weeks ago and my car, built Jan 12, already has that version. Perhaps the dealer did it before I picked up the car on Feb18.
And can you get an iPod to stream music via a standard apple cable?

Last edited by PrinceBarin; 04-18-2012 at 07:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 08:42 AM   #101
SD_E88
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Ok jgrasty. I'm thinking your car has a bug or a bad cable. Granted, I did not visit my dealer until mid march to play with the F30s but I did in fact sit in a base model, non-"line" vehicle without assist (or really anything else ( no power seats?? So sad )). I plugged in my iPod without starting the car (just pressed the start button without putting my foot on the brake) turning the car systems on, and found it my iPod's name labeled next to the USB icon. Worked flawlessly. Well not exactly flawlessly, the album art sometimes got scrambled up, but I digress. I do not know what month the car was built nor do I know what software it had.

What I didn't get a chance to test was how the Bluetooth audio worked. (because it did not have it) I assumed one would have the same control as with the cable interface. To quote from "Dumb and Dumber"... Samsonite! I was way off!!! BT Audio is cool to have but certainly not the end all be all I thought it would be.

I really hope you get that worked out, maybe another software reflash? Try another cable? Try multiple iPods? Best of luck! You've got a beautiful car!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 08:58 AM   #102
tcraft
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

My 328i was built the last week of February and picked up March 30th (yes I know, it was a long time to wait). I have the premium package, tech package, premium sound. However I did not get enhanced bluetooth, bmw assist or bmw apps.

In order for my iPhone 4s, iPod Nano current gen, iPod Nano 2nd gen to work, I had to purchase the Y-Cable. The standard white Apple 30-pin connector would not work.

Now, that said, I have NOT tried a software update. I'll try that sometime today and report back my findings.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 09:48 AM   #103
PrinceBarin
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD_F30
I did in fact sit in a base model, non-"line" vehicle without assist (or really anything else ( no power seats?? So sad )). I plugged in my iPod without starting the car (just pressed the start button without putting my foot on the brake) turning the car systems on, and found it my iPod's name labeled next to the USB icon. Worked flawlessly. Well not exactly flawlessly, the album art sometimes got scrambled up, but I digress. I do not know what month the car was built nor do I know what software it had.
Stupid question, but did you check that audio was playing through the speakers? I can imagine the control aspects working OK but I also wanted to check whether the audio streamed directly as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 09:51 AM   #104
PrinceBarin
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcraft
My 328i was built the last week of February and picked up March 30th (yes I know, it was a long time to wait). I have the premium package, tech package, premium sound. However I did not get enhanced bluetooth, bmw assist or bmw apps.

In order for my iPhone 4s, iPod Nano current gen, iPod Nano 2nd gen to work, I had to purchase the Y-Cable. The standard white Apple 30-pin connector would not work.

Now, that said, I have NOT tried a software update. I'll try that sometime today and report back my findings.
Other than build dates (and the fact I haven't taken delivery of my car yet) we are in much the same position. So, based on advice from this forum and my dealer I have ordered a Y cable but will be interested to see how you get on!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 12:23 PM   #105
tcraft
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Okay - I updated the software and I've got bad news... the standard Apple 30-pin connector still does not work. Y-Cable yippee!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 02:04 PM   #106
PrinceBarin
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcraft
Okay - I updated the software and I've got bad news... the standard Apple 30-pin connector still does not work. Y-Cable yippee!
Thank you. Disappointing but not at all surprising!

Strange thing is, I know I am going to be just as disappointed when I find this out first-hand in a couple of weeks, even though I already know it's not going to work.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 04:30 PM   #107
jgrasty
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Ok jgrasty. I'm thinking your car has a bug or a bad cable. Granted, I did not visit my dealer until mid march to play with the F30s but I did in fact sit in a base model, non-"line" vehicle without assist (or really anything else ( no power seats?? So sad )). I plugged in my iPod without starting the car (just pressed the start button without putting my foot on the brake) turning the car systems on, and found it my iPod's name labeled next to the USB icon. Worked flawlessly. Well not exactly flawlessly, the album art sometimes got scrambled up, but I digress. I do not know what month the car was built nor do I know what software it had.

What I didn't get a chance to test was how the Bluetooth audio worked. (because it did not have it) I assumed one would have the same control as with the cable interface. To quote from "Dumb and Dumber"... Samsonite! I was way off!!! BT Audio is cool to have but certainly not the end all be all I thought it would be.

I really hope you get that worked out, maybe another software reflash? Try another cable? Try multiple iPods? Best of luck! You've got a beautiful car!
Nope, not a bad Apple cable, as I tried all three of mine (iPod, iPhone4, iPad) and both my iPhone and iPod both required the BMW OEM y-cable. I did all of these things several times before I gave up and got the y-cable.

There's no album art, either, though it is present on my iPhone. My iPod mini, of course, doesn't support album art.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 04:33 PM   #108
jgrasty
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceBarin View Post
And can you get an iPod to stream music via a standard apple cable?
No.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 04:47 PM   #109
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

Car must have been fitted with enhanced USB or one of the other required options. No changes have been made

BMW USA just sent out in early April a bulletin stating the cars require the Y-cable if not fitted with the options that add combox.

Album art from the Ipod is not possible without a combox.
      04-19-2012, 04:43 AM   #110
SD_E88
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Ok, my apologies for spreading any inaccuracies, I must have missed that when I looked at the base model sticker.

Unbelievable though! BMW should be ashamed of themselves. They advertise all this connectivity, they advertise on their website "iPod" and USB adaptor as a basic level feature.

So annoyed!

What the heck is a comm box? Why would a comm box make the computer recognize an iPod?
Appreciate 0