F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Site Related Announcements - Suggestions - Feedback - Questions > E90post marketplace NOT Ebay!
Extreme Powerhouse

03-08-2008, 10:22 PM   #1
LOLrance
The Law.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: BMW

E90post marketplace NOT Ebay!

I thought it would be great to add a new rule to the marketplace. Some people are ruining it and making it a bidding war and whoever bids the highest takes it. This is not Ebay where you sell to the highest bidder, if you want people to bid for it, then sell it on ebay.

I find it really unfair that a member lists a part for sale and because he has a lot of hits and some offer him more then what he listed, he will keep raising the price. You should just set a price that you are willing to let it go for and if someone agrees to the price then you sell it to him. It seems that some people dont know the first thing about good business practices.

If you want to just put your part out and get a sense of how much it is worth before you sell it, then put a feeler thread up. But when you put a FS thread and put a specific price you want for it, you should be held responsible to what you are asking for it.
      03-08-2008, 10:35 PM   #2
LOLrance
The Law.
Taiwan
Rep

I know im not the only one that feels this way as well. Here are just a few threads where people are making there FS thread into a bidding war and people agreeing with me that this is not fair.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121645
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124561
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122005

There is plenty more, these are just a few that i remember/found off the top of my head.
      03-08-2008, 10:42 PM   #3
AoshichanX
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black e90 335i

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
In the very least:

If better offers are made, seller should not flaunt or advertise but PM other potential interested parties for counter offers.
Feeler threads should be used to gauge interest and demand.
Some of threads turned auctions are just ludicrous.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 10:48 PM   #4
e92phreak
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i TiAg/E46 323i TiAg

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.50]
2000 E46 323i  [0.00]
I completely agree with this. I was stuck in a bidding war for some wheels in the past... Not saying the seller was wrong, because the seller is entitled to a fair price... but every day, I would wake up, only to find out that I was "outbid" *sigh*...
07 E92 335i | TiAg | Step | Padl | Cmft | Alum Trm | PDC | Nav | Assist | Sat | Lthr | Prem | Sprt | Rear Splr | RDSport Quads | iPod | V1 | LT Refl | VS Clear Bra | OEM Lip | KWV2 | Mtec Sides | BBS LM-R
00 E46 323i | TiAg | 5sp | Sport | Roof | RDSport Cams | RDSport tune | RDSport Shift | Volk LE37 | M3 spoiler | PSS9 | SuperSprint | Brembo
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 10:49 PM   #5
Desi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i M-Sport X-Drive

I know in some other forums I am on your thread will be deleted unless you post a firm price in your post. In said forums, you are allowed to sell for less so you do sometimes get people making offers and others one-upping them.

I agree wholeheartedly with this post.

EDIT: Would a requirement for For Sale threads that are set up as auctions to have a deadline help? I mean, maybe allow for auction sale threads but 7 Calender Days after the thread is started, it is locked and the highest offer stands. Perhaps an "auctions" sub-forum? I'm sure there is a vBulletin plug in or script that could make this forum automated to decrease the added strain on mods..
      03-08-2008, 10:54 PM   #6
LOLrance
The Law.
Taiwan
Rep

Thanks for the support guys. Hopefully more people will chime in and the Admins will make a new rule to prevent this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desi View Post
I know in some other forums I am on your thread will be deleted unless you post a firm price in your post. In said forums, you are allowed to sell for less so you do sometimes get people making offers and others one-upping them.

I agree wholeheartedly with this post.
I know what you mean, i really like how s2ki does it. They dont take any crap. If you dont put up a price then close/delete your thread no questions asked. I can understand taking the highest offer if the price you listed for is not met (i.e you say you want 200 for the part and someone offers you 150 but you sell it to another guy offering you 180) but if someone gives you the price you are asking for, how can you try to rip them off and say "ok i got xxx price, who will give me more?"

The price you set should be the price you are going willing let it go for. PERIOD. If someone offers you something close to the price you want and you think its fair, then by all means sell it. But forcing people into a bidding contest higher then what you asked for is ridiculous.
      03-08-2008, 11:20 PM   #7
McLuVan
Lieutenant General
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by l4wr3nc3 View Post
I thought it would be great to add a new rule to the marketplace. Some people are ruining it and making it a bidding war and whoever bids the highest takes it. This is not Ebay where you sell to the highest bidder, if you want people to bid for it, then sell it on ebay.

I find it really unfair that a member lists a part for sale and because he has a lot of hits and some offer him more then what he listed, he will keep raising the price. You should just set a price that you are willing to let it go for and if someone agrees to the price then you sell it to him. It seems that some people dont know the first thing about good business practices.

If you want to just put your part out and get a sense of how much it is worth before you sell it, then put a feeler thread up. But when you put a FS thread and put a specific price you want for it, you should be held responsible to what you are asking for it.
+1
put ur shit on ebay if u wanna auction
      03-09-2008, 10:26 AM   #8
KL2DC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 428i,E90 328i, E85 Z4 3.0i

Garage List
2015 F36 428i  [0.00]
2011 E90 328i  [0.00]
2006 E85 Z4 3.0i  [0.00]
I do agree, I'll bring it up with the rest. We were also thinking of a minimum posts rule before one qualifies to post an FS listing in the marketplace. Thanks

Official DC Metro Registry - Current, New & Prospective Area Members Roll Call!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 04:32 PM   #9
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

I assume you made this post because someone offered more money for something you wanted to buy. It's their right to sell it for as much as they can get for it.

Next time you buy a car I assume you will simply pay retail rather then shopping around for the lowest price. It's the same principle you're complaining about.
      03-09-2008, 04:49 PM   #10
amazzzin
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Agreed.

Whoever gets dibs, wins it in my book...

People can CALL 2nd dibs, and so so on..... but only if the 1st buyer falls thru.

Fanatics screwing other fanatics to make a quick buck....

As for TT, I can them for you brand new for 510$ shipped.... (shipping is like 20$) ....

Always out to help fellow modders
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 04:50 PM   #11
amazzzin
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
I assume you made this post because someone offered more money for something you wanted to buy. It's their right to sell it for as much as they can get for it.

Next time you buy a car I assume you will simply pay retail rather then shopping around for the lowest price. It's the same principle you're complaining about.

Logic makes no sense.... Thats like comparing a plane to a car. A car is 50K$ and you know the dealer is trying to make a buck off you.. Most of these FS threads are for.. 5$-2.5$ .... Move it to EBAY.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 05:17 PM   #12
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAMEOVR View Post

Logic makes no sense.... Thats like comparing a plane to a car. A car is 50K$ and you know the dealer is trying to make a buck off you.. Most of these FS threads are for.. 5$-2.5$ .... Move it to EBAY.
Makes perfect sense. The sellers are shopping around for the best buyer while you shop around for the best seller.

You can't say its fair one way and not the other. So unless you never shop around for the best price you shouldn't be throwing stones at people doing the same thing.

Oh and ebay has fees and is full of crooks, it's also a PITA to use sometimes.
      03-09-2008, 09:17 PM   #13
amazzzin
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Makes perfect sense. The sellers are shopping around for the best buyer while you shop around for the best seller.

You can't say its fair one way and not the other. So unless you never shop around for the best price you shouldn't be throwing stones at people doing the same thing.

Oh and ebay has fees and is full of crooks, it's also a PITA to use sometimes.
Yeah ebay has fees and is a PITB sometimes, I agree, but it's more logical to put your stuff on EBAY if you want to obtain the highest offer. Other forums, use the 'dibs' system. You set a price and stick with it, you don't set a price and get offered higher, and then keep going higher, makes no sense to the people buying it. I mean, I see some prices on the SSTT get up to about 475$, you can get a new one for 485$........

Price shopping on vendors in my book is different. On this board and past board the vendors are usually up to no good, so I price shop and talk them down to my lowest I got.... On vendors do HW, but on used shit, ebay status is a waste....

but to each his own..... bad business practices.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 09:55 PM   #14
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

I can't believe what you're saying. If you don't like it don't buy it. Buy it new. IDC but who are you to tell people they can't try to get the highest price they can. It's their stuff they can do what they want.
      03-09-2008, 10:12 PM   #15
Vegas_Sirk
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 JKU Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:

+1,000

I am personally fed up with the biding wars and some peoples poor attitudes when selling items.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 12:52 AM   #16
LOLrance
The Law.
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:

umm, no. I made this post because i saw someone (who i dont know so its not like im defending a friend) call dibs on a item that they thought was xxx amount. And then he was excited and ready to paypal any minute so he could recieve the item faster. Next thing he knows, the guy told him he is not going to sell it to him because someone offered him more and wanted to know if he will top the price.

I think its BS because if you set a price and agreed to sell it for that price, you should keep to your word. If you wanted to gauge interest on how much your part is worth, thats what feeler threads are for. If you wanted to get more for your part, then dont put it up at such a low amount and start a bidding war till the price you want is reached. Like i said before, For Sale threads is for the seller to put a part on the market and put a price on how much he will sell it for.
      03-10-2008, 01:04 AM   #17
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
For Sale threads is for the seller to put a part on the market and put a price on how much he will sell it for.
That's just something you're making up. It does not say that in the rules.
      03-10-2008, 01:05 AM   #18
LOLrance
The Law.
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
That's just something you're making up. It does not say that in the rules.
lol, you must not read because the whole reason im making this thread IS SO they can make this a rule.
      03-10-2008, 01:38 AM   #19
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
lol, you must not read because the whole reason im making this thread IS SO they can make this a rule.
Communist.
      03-10-2008, 01:43 AM   #20
LOLrance
The Law.
Taiwan
Rep

LOL im Taiwanese. Our people ran from communist China!!!
      03-10-2008, 01:44 AM   #21
LOLrance
The Law.
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL2DC View Post
I do agree, I'll bring it up with the rest. We were also thinking of a minimum posts rule before one qualifies to post an FS listing in the marketplace. Thanks
Thank you
      03-10-2008, 08:42 AM   #22
KL2DC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 428i,E90 328i, E85 Z4 3.0i

Garage List
2015 F36 428i  [0.00]
2011 E90 328i  [0.00]
2006 E85 Z4 3.0i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by anmcguire View Post
I'm clearly a new forum member, and don't have the intention of selling anything at the moment... but I fail to see the causal link between post count and marketplace ethics/reliability. Only a proven track record of incident free buying/selling can do that, hence ebay's vendor feedback system. Additionally, depending on the minimum you choose, putting that rule into effect only helps/encourages post whores.

Andrew
Nothing definite yet, but we were considering such measures/suggestions spurred by a few requests from fellow members. The FS marketplace is hosted by this community for the community. True, there isn't a causal link between post count and marketplace ethics. But some folks feel a tad 'poached' when new members show up from nowhere hawking their stuff as opposed to someone who is recognized as a member of their community. At the end of the day, its the community that matters imho.

Wrt bidding, of course a seller has every right to sell at the best price they can get, but there are just better ways to word their listings or structure their FS thread. I think that is all the OP is hinting at. This goes back to the whole 'community' idea/concept of which we are all a part of.

My $0.02. Views expressed do not necessarily reflect those of the admins and other moderators.

Official DC Metro Registry - Current, New & Prospective Area Members Roll Call!
Appreciate 0