F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Coral Red or not?
proTUNING Freaks

07-08-2014, 07:58 PM   #1
Monkey Punk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Coral Red or not?

Hello all. I am in a deep conundrum here. I like the contrast of the red interior versus black or grey exterior, but I am afraid I may tire of it later. Additionally, my wife is dead set against it (we are partners in crime) and since she is letting me spend uber $$$ on this build I am trying to take her perspective into account.

On the one hand, she will not like to drive it as much (), but I want to be a team player. So for discussion sake, has anyone gotten this and regretted it? Any thoughts (other than I am a overly domesticated and should just drive on and get what I want ?

I am very interested to hear your experiences/opinions. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 08:11 PM   #2
bonabono
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 328xi

No regrets.
I would recommend it to anyone.

Listen to your wife though just because you know .
Have you and your wife seen it in person though?
My gf was strongly against it too until she saw it in person.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 08:34 PM   #3
simongym
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i Sport

I still love it 2+ years in with no regrets. My wife was set against it, and she won't admit it but I think even she has come around.

Personally I would say if it's going to be your car, go with what you want. Ultimately she will likely not care that much even if it's not her favorite.
Appreciate 1
      07-08-2014, 08:39 PM   #4
Skywalker27617
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 435i

We never had red before. My wife insisted after she saw with MG outside color. No regrets.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 08:50 PM   #5
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Get the leather dash in order to tone it down a bit. The leather dash option eliminates red from the center area.

I'm with you on the wife situation. I have to get the thumbs up on the outside and inside of the car with my significant other. I brought home a 435 MSport Gran Coupe on an extended test drive. My wife loved the exterior....she hated the inside. She cited cheap plastics / buttons, low quality leather, and a tacked on Navi screen as issues.

Not sure how I'm going to get around those issues! I've got to admit that I agree with her on her points except for the Nav screen. And I can live with the other 'issues'.

Good luck!
      07-08-2014, 08:55 PM   #6
riimiX
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive Coupe

was hesitant (as well as many other people in my family)

once i got it though, never turned back. have not tired of it AT ALL. definitely a huge upgrade over the standard black

ps: family agrees it was the right decision. they love it in person.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 09:06 PM   #7
AstonKarim
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 Audi RS5 Sportback

I regret not getting coral red, go for it!

SOLD 2013 BMW 335i M Sport Xdrive / MPPK / MPE / Alpine White / Black Dakota Leather / M Sport Brake / 19"Style 403m / M Perf Diffuser
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 09:13 PM   #8
Monkey Punk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstonKarim View Post
I regret not getting coral red, go for it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by riimiX View Post
was hesitant (as well as many other people in my family)

once i got it though, never turned back. have not tired of it AT ALL. definitely a huge upgrade over the standard black

ps: family agrees it was the right decision. they love it in person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtabi View Post
Get the leather dash in order to tone it down a bit. The leather dash option eliminates red from the center area.

I'm with you on the wife situation. I have to get the thumbs up on the outside and inside of the car with my significant other. I brought home a 435 MSport Gran Coupe on an extended test drive. My wife loved the exterior....she hated the inside. She cited cheap plastics / buttons, low quality leather, and a tacked on Navi screen as issues.

Not sure how I'm going to get around those issues! I've got to admit that I agree with her on her points except for the Nav screen. And I can live with the other 'issues'.

Good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker27617 View Post
We never had red before. My wife insisted after she saw with MG outside color. No regrets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by simongym View Post
I still love it 2+ years in with no regrets. My wife was set against it, and she won't admit it but I think even she has come around.

Personally I would say if it's going to be your car, go with what you want. Ultimately she will likely not care that much even if it's not her favorite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonabono View Post
No regrets.

Thank you all! You guys (gals?) are confirming my suspicions and opinions. I am definitely over the 50% mark on whether to get it or not, but since I have soooo long before my delivery, I will definitely waffle back and forth on this. Hopefully this thread keeps going for a while....
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 09:15 PM   #9
Monkey Punk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonabono View Post
No regrets.

We have not seen it in person. Since we are in Japan right now, we haven't had the chance to see it up close. I will try and find a dealership here with red interior and get her opinion (maybe change it?).
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 09:19 PM   #10
Monkey Punk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by simongym View Post

Yeah....I feel you on being "my" car. I plan on getting her the ultimate min-van she really wants (so everyone can see her moderate tastes and objection to red interior)...so in the vein, I could tell her not to worry about it.

I personally like the idea of black with the read interior....kind of a "Wraith" motif. Although I know there are some objections to a "murdered" bmw. However, I will not get black wheels....may go as dark as gunmetal, but no darker. Probably just stay with Silver to give it some contrast. But, I digress.....
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 09:20 PM   #11
Monkey Punk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Good luck!
Thanks! Did you get the leather dash?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 09:28 PM   #12
Vegetable
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 MT, 2024 X3MC

I would go for Coral Red on the 335i as it's only on the seats and doors.. I had it ordered on my 435i, but when I found out it was also on the dash, I switched to black.. Too much red IMO on the 4 and perfect on the 3..

edit edit edit: Awesome.... I was playing around with the BMW configurater and for 2015 you can have coral red interior without the red being on the dash as long as you have the leather dash option... Urgh.. wish I would have waited for the 2015 models..

Last edited by Vegetable; 07-08-2014 at 10:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 09:36 PM   #13
dt23
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15GranCoupe435M/Cb/Cr/19

don't get it, it's too feminine ...
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 09:38 PM   #14
catherineanh
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 435xi M Sport

Just picked up my car! I love the coral red!
      07-08-2014, 09:44 PM   #15
Batmobile
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i m performance edition

The nicest part of my car is coral red, go for it!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 09:59 PM   #16
In AWD We Trust
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i GC xDrive

Garage List
Ordered coral red inside; alpine white on top.
Family LOVED it, and said it made the BMW up the classy notch.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 10:03 PM   #17
nop
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

I just pulled the trigger on a AW + Coral Red order. I saw it in person and loved it, but every once in a while I still get nervous about it. I've seen some older (10+ year) BMWs with red interior and the seem to hold up and don't look bad.
The wife was definitely not a fan of the red, but I told her I couldn't take another all black interior, especially since the headliner is black. I'm fairly certain she'll be okay with it after a bit of time getting used to it.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 10:37 PM   #18
chylld
Major
Rep
Drives: G08 iX3

Garage List
Definitely get it! I absolutely love it. Once you are sitting inside the car it is not distracting at all. Once you are actually driving, it practically vanishes!

Also the red on the lower dash is quite subtle thanks to the fact that it's facing down away from incoming light:

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 10:46 PM   #19
CK335iMSport
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Go with the Coral Red, you'll love it, and it will stand out when your in a crowd full of other cars. One of the best choices I made when ordering the car. My wife wasn't too thrilled with it when I placed the order, but when I got the car and she opened the door , her opinion quickly changed, and all of a sudden it was a good idea..., .

The CR goes great with MG, Black, or AW...IMHO...
2014 335i M Sport - Mineral Grey/Coral Red, Nav., Premium, HK, MPE, 8AT. Mods: Macht Schnell Spacers (12mm-front, 15mm-rear) with 403M's, Bilstein B8 Struts/H&R Sport Spring combo, M-Performance black kidney grilles, IND Distribution color-matched reflector inserts and key hole cover.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 11:33 PM   #20
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Had red leather on an S5 and got tired of it after a year or so, novelty just wore off. As much as black, gray, beige, etc will never add that same accent as a red nor instill any wow factor, that's exactly why you never really tire of them.

One other thing to consider, if you're getting a 4, half of the dash is red too (as opposed to the 3 which has all black dash and only red is the leather seats and parts of doors). Not a fan of that, personally. My Audi was all black dash too and I still grew tired of the red leather.

I do agree with chyllid though, that when you're in the car, the red is not as overpowering as you might think.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 11:39 PM   #21
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey says...
Quote:

Good luck!
Thanks! Did you get the leather dash?
I have not placed an order yet. I really like the 435i GC. But I'm trying to hold out for the B9 S Audis.

I was hoping I would not like the 4GC....but I REALLY like it.

My build does include the leather dash.
      07-09-2014, 01:48 AM   #22
Monkey Punk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegetable View Post
I would go for Coral Red on the 335i as it's only on the seats and doors.. I had it ordered on my 435i, but when I found out it was also on the dash, I switched to black.. Too much red IMO on the 4 and perfect on the 3..

edit edit edit: Awesome.... I was playing around with the BMW configurater and for 2015 you can have coral red interior without the red being on the dash as long as you have the leather dash option... Urgh.. wish I would have waited for the 2015 models..
I am waiting for the build site to update for the 2015 335i so I can build it out closer to the time I get it....IE 441M wheel options and new colors coming. I hope you do get the GC! I like Audis too....cant go wrong...just a matter of perspective vs. BMW etc.
Appreciate 0