F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Ordered my F30 320d
proTUNING Freaks

07-26-2012, 02:58 PM   #1
hsirk
Sport Mode Fanatic
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 520d M Sport Plus

Question Ordered my F30 320d

Hello everyone,

I was initially planning to buy a Golf MK6 and had reasearched throughouly about all my options with hatchbacks. Then on Saturday, I walked into the BMW dealership and spoke to a salesman about the F30. This wasnt an option before but after the test drive and checking out the specs I circled out on this car and booked it on the spot. Since I had already exceeded my budget, I didnt get to choose any add ons But then its my first car and am lucky for it to be a BMW

Ive ordered the 320d SE with the automatic gearbox. I went for the Sapphire Black color. Apart from that everything else is what the standard SE trim comes with.

I wish to get Xenons added on later and am hoping I will be able to do so without much fuss.

Now the main bit, the dealer has given me a delivery date in the last week of September. Does it usually take longer or do they underpromise and over deliver. How can I check the progress of the order? Once into production how long does it usually take. I read the posts by others on this forum but couldnt find any related to the basic 320d! Is there a chance mine would be faster because of the low spec or does it not matter. Im too excited and just cant wait to get the keys!

Kindly advise

Thanks,
Kay
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 03:04 PM   #2
ikonic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BSM F30 328I M-Sport

Congratulations! Good choice on sapphire black too!

Think you may have a job on to fit genuine xenons at a later date. If i recall correctly, you need headlight washers by law for xenons if I'm not mistaken.

Unless you just mean fitting some HID bulbs later on?

As for delivery, I think you may get it sooner...... the 2.0D seem to be rolling out very quickly for the European market.

Us poor sods that ordered the 328 are having to wait especially longer because of those greedy Americans......
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 03:36 PM   #3
Msporty
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport

My 320d M Sport was ordered on 15th June and I get it tomorrow! So last week of September sounds pretty feasible for your order, part of the fun is the waiting (so I'm told ;-))
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 08:20 AM   #4
hsirk
Sport Mode Fanatic
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msporty View Post
My 320d M Sport was ordered on 15th June and I get it tomorrow! So last week of September sounds pretty feasible for your order, part of the fun is the waiting (so I'm told ;-))
Thats making me feel better...thanks for your reply
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 08:42 AM   #5
hsirk
Sport Mode Fanatic
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikonic View Post
Congratulations! Good choice on sapphire black too!

Think you may have a job on to fit genuine xenons at a later date. If i recall correctly, you need headlight washers by law for xenons if I'm not mistaken.

Unless you just mean fitting some HID bulbs later on?

As for delivery, I think you may get it sooner...... the 2.0D seem to be rolling out very quickly for the European market.

Us poor sods that ordered the 328 are having to wait especially longer because of those greedy Americans......
Yeah Ive read about the wait times on the 328. But its well worth the wait and Im sure once the keys are in your hand everything else will be forgotten. Cant wait for my 320d. Im so so excited.

With regards to the xenons, I am still confused. I see images with projectors which seem white in color and the actual headlights yellowish. Are these projectors standard?

Are these headlights in the below image xenons or the standard ones or is it difficult to say?

Excuse my ignorance as Im very new to these top end motors
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 09:08 AM   #6
hsirk
Sport Mode Fanatic
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
And yeah some pics please...congrats!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 11:33 AM   #7
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by krishf30 View Post
Yeah Ive read about the wait times on the 328. But its well worth the wait and Im sure once the keys are in your hand everything else will be forgotten. Cant wait for my 320d. Im so so excited.

With regards to the xenons, I am still confused. I see images with projectors which seem white in color and the actual headlights yellowish. Are these projectors standard?

Are these headlights in the below image xenons or the standard ones or is it difficult to say?

Excuse my ignorance as Im very new to these top end motors
My 328i took 14 weeks to come through, but then I did order it back in March when they were probably still ramping up.

The picture shown is of the Xenon lights - the giveaway is the thick projector lens on the outer headlight plus the corona rings round all four headlights. The standard headlights will just be silver reflectors with halogen bulbs and you won't see the rings. I believe the halogen bulbs can be upgraded quite easily to 'whiter' HID bulbs.

Here's a shot of the halogen setup by comparison.

Congrats on the order though, 320d SE is still gonna be a really nice car. That diesel engine has bags of grunt!

Life is a state of mind

Last edited by RobUK; 07-28-2012 at 11:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 03:20 PM   #8
hsirk
Sport Mode Fanatic
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
My 328i took 14 weeks to come through, but then I did order it back in March when they were probably still ramping up.

The picture shown is of the Xenon lights - the giveaway is the thick projector lens on the outer headlight plus the corona rings round all four headlights. The standard headlights will just be silver reflectors with halogen bulbs and you won't see the rings. I believe the halogen bulbs can be upgraded quite easily to 'whiter' HID bulbs.

Here's a shot of the halogen setup by comparison.

Congrats on the order though, 320d SE is still gonna be a really nice car. That diesel engine has bags of grunt!
Thanks for the headsup mate

Tempted to do a spec change now...if I add the xenons will it make a big difference to the delivery date? Any idea? Ive just put in the order last week and am now thinking of getting a few add ons. Been reading about the H/K system too. Why didnt I research enough before....

Hope they will let me do it
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 05:19 PM   #9
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
I would have thought they would let you make spec changes if you only placed the order last week. I added a sunroof and folding mirrors a good two weeks after ordering.

I know adding a sunroof delays delivery, but I wouldn't think adding Xenon's would stretch it out as it's a very popular option. If you're really watching the pennies then Xenons plus headlamp wash (some EU regulation requires Xenons to have washers) can be added for £710 (£495+£215). It's a wee bit cheaper than going for Xenons as part of the visibility package at £925 and that £210 saving pays for a third of your H/K sound system Also while the adaptive lights & high beam assist you get with the visibility package are cool, I wouldn't say they're must haves.

I'm a big fan of Xenons, aside from being great at night, the corona rings just make the car look complete.

Something I wish I'd researched more (apart from the the H/K sound system) is the adaptive suspension. I thought the adaptive suspension was all about better control when you're driving enthusiastically, but seems it's so much more than that. When in Comfort Mode it actually deals with our rubbish UK roads a whole lot better than the standard setup and gives a better ride.

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 03:16 AM   #10
hsirk
Sport Mode Fanatic
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
I would have thought they would let you make spec changes if you only placed the order last week. I added a sunroof and folding mirrors a good two weeks after ordering.

I know adding a sunroof delays delivery, but I wouldn't think adding Xenon's would stretch it out as it's a very popular option. If you're really watching the pennies then Xenons plus headlamp wash (some EU regulation requires Xenons to have washers) can be added for £710 (£495+£215). It's a wee bit cheaper than going for Xenons as part of the visibility package at £925 and that £210 saving pays for a third of your H/K sound system Also while the adaptive lights & high beam assist you get with the visibility package are cool, I wouldn't say they're must haves.

I'm a big fan of Xenons, aside from being great at night, the corona rings just make the car look complete.

Something I wish I'd researched more (apart from the the H/K sound system) is the adaptive suspension. I thought the adaptive suspension was all about better control when you're driving enthusiastically, but seems it's so much more than that. When in Comfort Mode it actually deals with our rubbish UK roads a whole lot better than the standard setup and gives a better ride.
Thank you

Im gonna visit the dealership tomorrow. Will add the xenons for sure. Will see how much damage the few add ons do. Im now thinking of the adaptive suspension as Ive read quite a lot about them too but that maybe outta budget. Are the standard speakers really bad? Maybe will cut costs there and get the speaker system a year later or so. Have stretched my budget to the max already lol
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 03:21 AM   #11
Msporty
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishf30 View Post
Thank you

Im gonna visit the dealership tomorrow. Will add the xenons for sure. Will see how much damage the few add ons do. Im now thinking of the adaptive suspension as Ive read quite a lot about them too but that maybe outta budget. Are the standard speakers really bad? Maybe will cut costs there and get the speaker system a year later or so. Have stretched my budget to the max already lol
Take your own CD and try it in a 3 series with standard speakers and see what you think....
I have the adaptive suspension and it is really good, and driving a lot of miles a year (35000+) I wanted a comfy ride on the patchwork roads we have!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 04:25 AM   #12
hsirk
Sport Mode Fanatic
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Take your own CD and try it in a 3 series with standard speakers and see what you think....
I have the adaptive suspension and it is really good, and driving a lot of miles a year (35000+) I wanted a comfy ride on the patchwork roads we have!
Will do...wonder why such a long wait with delivery. Has this always been the case with BMW?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 09:42 PM   #13
Teefaf
'sup?
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 320i xDrive MSport

Congrats on your order, it's a great feeling! Don't feel too bad about the wait - I ordered a 320i xDrive MSport at the beginning of July, and still don't even have a production date!

If money's tight I personally would skip the adaptive suspension, unless you're a petrol head who'll notice the difference. The sensors on the dampers can go, leading to increased servicing costs down the road. it's a nice to have for sure, but by no means essential for most drivers.

The comments about the sound system on here are causing me concern though. I'm no audiophile but would like decent sound in the car. Am now considering adding the H/K system to my order, but feel it might be overkill for my needs.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 07:45 AM   #14
hsirk
Sport Mode Fanatic
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teefaf View Post
Congrats on your order, it's a great feeling! Don't feel too bad about the wait - I ordered a 320i xDrive MSport at the beginning of July, and still don't even have a production date!

If money's tight I personally would skip the adaptive suspension, unless you're a petrol head who'll notice the difference. The sensors on the dampers can go, leading to increased servicing costs down the road. it's a nice to have for sure, but by no means essential for most drivers.

The comments about the sound system on here are causing me concern though. I'm no audiophile but would like decent sound in the car. Am now considering adding the H/K system to my order, but feel it might be overkill for my needs.
Thanks buddy and congrats on yours too

Kept the initial sapphire black and the sport auto gear box and have added the following;

1.Xenons
2.Sport Steering Wheel
3.Rear Camera
4.H/K System
5.Black Panel Display
6.M Sport suspension

Last thing I wanted was to add leather interiors but had exceeeeeded my budget bigtime hence left it.

Got a 7.5% affinity discount and an interest rate of 3.9% APR for the PCP. Couldnt ask for more

Now just gotta sit tight till mid Sept

With regards to the audio...the basic one isnt bad. Test drove a 520d with one and seemed ok. If you wish to listen to radio and some pleasent tunes it would meet your needs without doubt. Else an aftermarket solution will always be an option for you. I took H/K for my partner so when I enjoy the drive she can enjoy her music lol

Last edited by hsirk; 08-02-2012 at 08:05 AM..
Appreciate 0