F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 2016 BMW 320i F30 - P2096 Post Catalyst Fuel Trim System Too Lean error > Need advice
Extreme Powerhouse

12-30-2021, 03:33 PM   #1
bourmb
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3/320i, VW CC, Chevy SS

Garage List
2020 BMW X3  [0.00]
Question 2016 BMW 320i F30 - P2096 Post Catalyst Fuel Trim System Too Lean error > Need advice

I have an intermittent Check Engine Soon orange light that comes and goes by itself that's tied to a permanent code P2096 error (Post Catalyst Fuel Trim System Too Lean). I would like to troubleshoot the issue versus taking it to a non-BMW service repair shop if I don't have to. The car currently has 76,000 miles on it and has been flawless with the exception of a failed right high beam in the right light module (halogen beam) which I know is not a bulb failure. We bought the car with 45,000 miles which I have to assume the car still has the original spark plugs in it, too. I've done some digging and it appears this code could be an upstream O2 sensor failing or a vacuum leak. I have verified the airbox is shut and sealed properly, too. To my knowledge the car drives fine and it appears no additional soot is emitted from the exhaust pipe.

I used my OBDII sensor and snapped some screenshots from the Auto Doctor app for the Bank 1 - Sensor 2 Output Voltage and Current. Can someone tell me if these graphs look normal? These photos were taken after the car was operating for about 10 minutes. I hate to spend $150 on a Bosch O2 sensor just to find out it's not the issue. Hence, the reason why I'm asking the question in this forum. I appreciate all input. Attached is the Google Photos link to various screenshots I took of my phone app regarding O2 sensor voltage and amp readings. Is it normal for the voltage to fluctuate so much?
https://photos.app.goo.gl/WrTRQ7rYmnq8pDVy8

Appreciate 0