F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 3 Times A Charm - Exhaust / Catalytic Converter
ARMA SPEED

07-27-2023, 11:35 AM   #1
MillyAB
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i X-Drive

3 Times A Charm - Exhaust / Catalytic Converter

Hello,

On a bit of a losing streak with my bimmer. I have a 2013 328i XDrive. 76k miles. Bought it and didn't know it had so much going on. Looking to hold on to it for a good while, but I've been having issues with the exhaust.

So far: timing chain replaced, ground strap replaced, control arms, bushings, replaced, PCV replaced, Tune taken off.
Pending: turbowastegate may need replacing. Belt tensioner, horn, fog light, left door inner handle, Exhaust Actuator Clip, Wheel bearings.

Here's the run down:

- stock exhaust at 59k had rust damage and leaks. Catalytic converter had a rip in the fibers and popped a code. Put some downpipes on in the meantime until funds came up to speed.

-New cat high flow - link (permanent - now on the car) installed with AWE exhaust pipes (temp). Had a shop in South Texas install a cat (not the high flow) and AWE pipe. That did not go so well (photos attached) :

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-turner-m...022518tms09~a/

-Exhaust was vibrating on brace loudly and I'm guessing the frame. So I took off the AWE and ordered Genuine. When installing, the front pipe did not reach the Cat by a few inches. Front pipe and center pipe did not match up at all. needed some snipping to fit the two to pop a clamp on. Was running fine and popped a code for the Cat not getting much air (cleared it). Took it to BMW for an inspection and the mechanic took off the brace and said he would lower it some to make clearance.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...e/18307633122/
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...ve-18307645939

Now its vibrating loud and annoying. Any ideas or help to get something close or similar? running out of option until I just go aftermarket or junkyard somewhere.
Attached Images

Last edited by MillyAB; 07-27-2023 at 11:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2023, 10:39 AM   #2
MaverickCruise
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328

It seems that a lot of cutting and welding work is required to avoid squeezing and bumping
Appreciate 0