F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Photo, Video, Media Gallery, Journals > 2013 328i Xdrive Msport, Black
proTUNING Freaks

08-31-2012, 08:14 AM   #1
buckeyede06
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340Xi

Garage List
2021 BMW M340Xi  [0.00]
2013 328i Xdrive Msport, Black

Calling a BMW “just a car” is like calling Da Vinci “just a guy”.

I recently received my 2013 328i Xdrive, Msport package. I want to tell my story as well as share some of my pictures as there are way too few Black Msport F30 pics. I will also do a little comparison for those interested.

What I Used to Drive: 2007 328Xi, premium package
What I Drive Now: Awesomeness (see above)

My order was pretty simple. The only upgrade I wanted was the sport auto tranny. Other than that and the Msport, it is stock. But that is fine by me! I love the new front end of the Msport line. I am not a huge fan of the normal F30 front because of the whiskers. I don't think a car should have anything on it called whiskers. This isn’t a kitten, it's a car…. tusks or fangs maybe?! I don't know, BMW give me a call on this one and we can chat. The Msport front end is just mean looking. Like stomp on your toes and laugh mean. The aggressive angles and the loss of the silly fog lights allow this whole section to take on its own personality. How can you not pony up for the Msport package when you factor in the larger wheels and styling? The Msport wheels are definitely the raciest as well. Advice for new F30 prospective owners, do it, Msport. You will love it. The sport tranny option was a no brainer as well. I have lighting fast shifting and it makes driving that much more enjoyable.

Now to my first impressions of the car. I pulled up to my dealer in Ohio and saw it on the lot (arrived a full 2 weeks early too). It was glistening and perfect. What a sight! Upon reviewing all its features and new gadgets, you could not help but wonder how BMW can turn a profit on these things. There is just so much attention to detail and small things they did right. From the location of buttons to the feel of the Msport steering wheel, everything is just right. My favorite new gadget on the F30 is the standard iDrive. It sure feels good to have the computer screen there without paying extra for it. One of the most noticeable things is the feel of the seat. The sport seats have the wing adjustments and you can fine tune them to your body. I like a nice tight feel, like my car is giving me a hug. A big angry German hug. So enough with the fluffy stuff, what about the engine and handling?

I will say the biggest difference between my E90 and the F30 is the steering and the acceleration. The steering as we all know is now electronically controlled. Don't freak out purists, this was done for a great number of reasons and when you really test them out back to back. Its not that bad. It isn’t less responsive or loose like others say. It is simply less resistant. It is still quick and keeps you in control, it just doesn't fight you as you turn. I am personally neutral on this but leaning to the new steering system. My wife loves it (for what that is worth). She says it doesn't make her arms tired like the E90 did. Personal taste on this one. PLus sport mode gives it a much more similar feel to the E90.

The acceleration is what I feel the most difference in. The E90 was a smooth sprinter, the F30 is a quicker sprinter but a little more spastic. You feel the extra torque early and strong. It is refreshing and exhilarating. I love it. Then you feel a little jolt here and there, a little squeeze of a gear change. It is lighting fast but I just think the E90 was a more refined package. Not as quick but more consistent. If I had to pick, I would take the F30 any day, but these are my experiences with the two. I will tell you that getting onto the turnpike makes me giddy and I love blowing by people in their silly 1.8 and 2.0 Audis. Lame sauce right there. I was hesitant because I wasn't sure if I was going to feel the extra power of the F30. You can and it is great.

The sound of the F30 is kinda lame but then again the 328’s of both generations aren’t monsters in this department. I am going to look for a good aftermarket exhaust just so I can get a little of the sound back. The 1k spent on a great exhaust can negate the wimpy sound of the 4 cylinder without getting too much of a drone. I despise nothing more than a crappy car with an even crappier droning exhaust. AKA the Honda civic modders that everyone knows… Friends don't let friends mod Civics. Anyway, this is maybe the only category where the F30 doesn't shine against the E90. O well, can’t win em’ all.

The handling is also improved over the E90. I feel that the shocks are actually a little more forgiving and less tight, BUT it cuts corners just as well. I do feel a little more body roll though, it just doesn't seem to be as tight as the E90. That may be due to the new Xdrive suspension or just a looser design taken on by BMW to appeal to the masses. I have not been to the track to really confirm but the short, sharp angled on-ramps in my area gave me a good test.

Ahhh and the gas mileage. Going green isn’t so lame when it saves you cash. I love the MPGs. I am getting a full 5-7 mpgs better than the E90. I was pulling 23ish on the E90 due to my “lively” driving habits even though 90% of my commute is highway. With the new F30 I am around 30. I am sure I could be higher if I accelerated like a normal person. I will try a test and see how high I can get it on ECO Pro. If I break 40, I am going to make fun of everyone who bought a slow as #$%! Japanese eco car. Why settle? Why can’t you have great MPGs and performance? More turbos, less cylinders, and a great tranny. Boom. It’s like a Prius on nasty German steroids.

I will keep this updated to reflect any new updates but for now, the F30 is a huge win for BMW. BMW has evolved a little and it has concerned some. Those “purists” or nay sayers just need to drive both cars back-to-back and there is no comparison, the F30 is superior in every way. So do yourself a favor and just go drive! Thanks for reading

Last edited by buckeyede06; 04-15-2013 at 06:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 08:44 AM   #2
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Congrats, nice colour and interior too. One of the first XDrive Msport F30s I guess.

But a drop and some xenons would be a nice touch though. Just do it.

Just some thoughts from just a guy.

I have a BSM F30 Sportline, I think the M Sport isn't as pronounced in any dark colour than in white or EB fwiw.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 09:07 AM   #3
Photoman
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30, 2013 E70

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
2012 BMW 328i  [10.00]
Nice ride mate... agree that xenons would have been icing on the cake.
Enjoy her in good health.
      08-31-2012, 09:38 AM   #4
Accelerometer
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 ZCP

Garage List
Congrats on the car it looks great. Am I right in assuming you went with the non staggered all season tire option? It looks like a square setup from the pictures.

I am really glad I went with the 19" option on my M Sport xDrive. I think it hides the elevated xDrive stance better than the standard 18".
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 09:26 AM   #5
buckeyede06
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M340Xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
Congrats, nice colour and interior too. One of the first XDrive Msport F30s I guess.

But a drop and some xenons would be a nice touch though. Just do it.

Just some thoughts from just a guy.

I have a BSM F30 Sportline, I think the M Sport isn't as pronounced in any dark colour than in white or EB fwiw.

Cheers
Robin
Ya that is a thought. I was going to go blue on the Msport actually. I went back and forth on that too. I went with black for a couple reasons but it was a close one.
      09-01-2012, 09:36 AM   #6
buckeyede06
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M340Xi  [0.00]
Here are a few more pics to enjoy!

09-04-2012, 06:49 AM   #7
buckeyede06
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M340Xi  [0.00]
      11-06-2012, 01:45 PM   #8
Seekup41
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Acura RDX

Fellow Ohio guy

Buckeyede06,

Love the pics. I'm close to pulling the trigger on a new 328i x-Drive vehicle in Black Sapphire Metallic... and can't decide between M sport and Sport line... a lot of the same things that went through your head are going through mine..

I love the M-sport steering wheel and aggressive look of the M sport front and rear bumpers. That steering wheel may be the single handed best part of the M sport package!

I guess my only concern is that on the M Sport car in black, the front bumper seems like a sea of black and I'm worried it makes the front end look too plain. Almost like there's too much "black space" on the front end.

What do you think having been in your car for a while now?

Do you have any more pics of your car that you might share?

Thanks...
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 02:48 PM   #9
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

m-sport ftmfw!!!

FOLLOW @datbimmerdoe on INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 07:47 PM   #10
buckeyede06
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M340Xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekup41 View Post
Buckeyede06,

Love the pics. I'm close to pulling the trigger on a new 328i x-Drive vehicle in Black Sapphire Metallic... and can't decide between M sport and Sport line... a lot of the same things that went through your head are going through mine..

I love the M-sport steering wheel and aggressive look of the M sport front and rear bumpers. That steering wheel may be the single handed best part of the M sport package!

I guess my only concern is that on the M Sport car in black, the front bumper seems like a sea of black and I'm worried it makes the front end look too plain. Almost like there's too much "black space" on the front end.

What do you think having been in your car for a while now?

Do you have any more pics of your car that you might share?

Thanks...
I totally understand about the black concerns. In person it isn't as bad though. In all honesty I might go with a different color "next time" like the blue. Dunno I have warmed up to the black though. and I love the car still. Sweet sweet love!
      11-30-2012, 11:44 PM   #11
Seekup41
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Acura RDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyede06 View Post
I totally understand about the black concerns. In person it isn't as bad though. In all honesty I might go with a different color "next time" like the blue. Dunno I have warmed up to the black though. and I love the car still. Sweet sweet love!
Sweet... glad you're loving it.
I just pulled the trigger myself and put an order in for a 328xi, Black Sapphire Metallic-- went with the Sport line after much deliberation..

It's funny on the day I went to finalize my order, the dealer had just received two more 328xi M-sport vehicles--- one was Estoril Blue and the other was Melbourne Red--- both looked VERY sharp... still, I'm a black car guy though and as much as I love Estoril Blue I just don't see it holding up here in Ohio (now, maybe if I lived in CA or FL, that'd be a different story). Nothing beats a black BMW!!!

Can't wait... guessing it won't make it here to Ohio until mid January, but is totally worth the wait.

Thanks for the great pics of your beautiful M-sport.
Keep in touch buddy... enjoy your car!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 07:06 AM   #12
Ron Scott
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 335 M Sport

Quote:
Buckeyede06,
I call bullshit on all the hype in the market about "amazing advances" in basic consumer photography. Why? Unlike the human eye, a photo can emphasize details in it's bright area or it's dark, not both. We can see both. Until this is corrected the most expensive Nikon isn't worth much more to me than a cheap SLR that can give you a decent depth of field, IMO.

The black M Sport bumper looks great in person. Not to worry.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 06:44 AM   #13
buckeyede06
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M340Xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Sweet... glad you're loving it.
I just pulled the trigger myself and put an order in for a 328xi, Black Sapphire Metallic-- went with the Sport line after much deliberation..

It's funny on the day I went to finalize my order, the dealer had just received two more 328xi M-sport vehicles--- one was Estoril Blue and the other was Melbourne Red--- both looked VERY sharp... still, I'm a black car guy though and as much as I love Estoril Blue I just don't see it holding up here in Ohio (now, maybe if I lived in CA or FL, that'd be a different story). Nothing beats a black BMW!!!

Can't wait... guessing it won't make it here to Ohio until mid January, but is totally worth the wait.

Thanks for the great pics of your beautiful M-sport.
Keep in touch buddy... enjoy your car!
Ya you will love it. I have come to love the black. Some guy at a restaurant last night called it "one nasty car" that made my day.

I do like the blue, but it is just a shade to light and my wife said it was a "pretty color". That about killed it for me!
      12-18-2012, 06:46 AM   #14
buckeyede06
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M340Xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Scott View Post
I call bullshit on all the hype in the market about "amazing advances" in basic consumer photography. Why? Unlike the human eye, a photo can emphasize details in it's bright area or it's dark, not both. We can see both. Until this is corrected the most expensive Nikon isn't worth much more to me than a cheap SLR that can give you a decent depth of field, IMO.

The black M Sport bumper looks great in person. Not to worry.
True, true. I can clearly see the lines and contours of the body and bumper in the light. The shadows and contrast are lost with my camera, and its just an iPhone camera too.