F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Any Reason For Me To Get Tech Pack?
Extreme Powerhouse

12-04-2012, 10:32 PM   #1
ironysatire
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Deep Sea Blue E90 sedan

Any Reason For Me To Get Tech Pack?

Is there any reason on earth for me to order the Tech Package or Nav?

- I haven't even used a paper map since about 1993.
- I don't commute by car. My commute is from one room to another.
- When I drive, there is no traffic. None. I live in the country. I'm lucky if I see one car when I drive into the nearest town. I see lots of birds, though. The real problem is going off the road where there's no cell phone signal, getting injured, nobody coming across my wreck for 2 days, and having to eat my own feet to stay alive.
- I don't have a smartphone. I do have a cell phone in the car, for emergencies. I have never had an emergency, knock on wood. Therefore, I have never used my cell phone. I never know how to use it the two times a year I check the battery. btw, we have trouble getting a usable cell signal out where we live anyway. I do not know my cell #.
- I don't want music on a hard drive. I'm an audiophile. I prefer SACDs, CDs, and LPs. I know you can rip your CDs to a car at full CD sound quality, but . . .
- I don't listen to music when I drive. I drive when I drive. Maybe at the three hour point of a really long trip, I'll idly turn on the radio. That's it for music. So I sure don't want to stream music or screw around with the internet or whatever.
- I don't want or need extended "gauges". My E90 has a dipshit econo-gauge instead of an engine temp gauge, and I've successfully lived with only that for 2 years, so I can live without gauges.
- The F30 we test drove for two days had the HUD, and I screamed "Turn that f****** thing off!" to my wife before I started moving. Later, playing with it, it washed out when I had sunglasses on anyway. I don't get the attraction. There's a state-of-the-art (and tasteful) physical speedometer right below that f****** HUD thing, btw.

I am not a Luddite. I have a website at http://www.greggfedchak.com and I'm a co-blogger at http://www.generalunitedindustries.com I have a ku-band satellite dish to monitor European and Mideast networks. My wife works in the computer security field. I'd be happy to get Tech etc. if I had a different life.

Very seriously, is there any reason to consider any of the tech stuff that's available? Or should I just waste that money on things like the I6 and the DHP and maybe the M Sport trim?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 10:36 PM   #2
nyczlegacy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F10

seems like you answered your own question. The HUD is nice though.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 10:51 PM   #3
ES_TRADER
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328i, 335i, M3, 535i, X5, 36M

Garage List
2014 Ford Raptor  [0.00]
2012 328i E92  [10.00]
2013 X5  [0.00]
2013 335i F30  [8.00]
1990 Toyota Previa  [0.00]
1997 E36 M3  [10.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
2011 535i  [0.00]
It's going to be 2013 in less than 30 days
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 11:36 PM   #4
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Follow your instincts. Only you know how you'd like to use your car.

HK can be had with or without the Tech pkg or Nav. Sounds like neither the Tech pkg or Nav is going to be a worthwhile option for you. Don't buy what you won't use or don't need. Yes, if you have a smartphone much of what the Nav system does can be accomplished using a smartphone.

Consider getting BT/USB or enhanced BT with the BMW assist pkg. This could be helpful if you plan to connect your phone for more basic uses.

If you prefer driver type features then go for it. DHP, N55 motor, Sport pkg/MSport, etc. All good stuff!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 11:50 PM   #5
mark.L
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Follow your instincts. Only you know how you'd like to use your car.

HK can be had with or without the Tech pkg or Nav. Sounds like neither the Tech pkg or Nav is going to be a worthwhile option for you. Don't buy what you won't use or don't need. Yes, if you have a smartphone much of what the Nav system does can be accomplished using a smartphone.

Consider getting BT/USB or enhanced BT with the BMW assist pkg. This could be helpful if you plan to connect your phone for more basic uses.

If you prefer driver type features then go for it. DHP, N55 motor, Sport pkg/MSport, etc. All good stuff!
^OP doesn't even have a smartphone therefore no need for that either.

Right on with the DHP and I6 engine, that's worth the cost. Even though the 8AT is as good as it gets, go with 6MT if possible.
      12-04-2012, 11:54 PM   #6
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark.L View Post
^OP doesn't even have a smartphone therefore no need for that either.
I'm thinking maybe one day during the ownership of this car he may get a new phone and modernize his life just a wee bit. If not, the Enhanced BT/USB option is good for resale value.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 12:12 AM   #7
mark.L
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm thinking maybe one day during the ownership of this car he may get a new phone and modernize his life just a wee bit. If not, the Enhanced BT/USB option is good for resale value.
From a re-sale POV, yes.
But if we are considering re-sale value then why not also get navigation. That includes the BT/USB as well and even though he may not need navigation now, it would surely attract more buyers and net more if and when he decides to sell the car.

After all it's OP's decision on what he actually needs and how much he's willing to spend.
      12-05-2012, 12:22 AM   #8
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark.L View Post
From a re-sale POV, yes.
But if we are considering re-sale value then why not also get navigation. That includes the BT/USB as well and even though he may not need navigation now, it would surely attract more buyers and net more if and when he decides to sell the car.

After all it's OP's decision on what he actually needs and how much he's willing to spend.
That's exactly what I said in Post #4.

To complete my thought, BMW Assist with enhanced BT and USB is $650.

Tech Pkg is $3100

Nav with Enhanced BT and USB is $2800.

Huge difference between $650 and $2800 or $3100.

I'm only saying to get Enhanced BT/USB because nearly every base car I've seen at least has this option (except for service loaners). When the vast majority of cars have an option it becomes expected by those who look at used cars. If he drives the car for 4 years, he's not going to get even close to $2000 more for it because its got Nav. What will surely be outdated Nav by then.

Lets not quibble over $650. OP will decide what he needs.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 12:36 AM   #9
mark.L
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's exactly what I said in Post #4.

To complete my thought, BMW Assist with enhanced BT and USB is $650.

Tech Pkg is $3100

Nav with Enhanced BT and USB is $2800.

Huge difference between $650 and $2800 or $3100.

I'm only saying to get Enhanced BT/USB because nearly every base car I've seen at least has this option (except for service loaners). When the vast majority of cars have an option it becomes expected by those who look at used cars. If he drives the car for 4 years, he's not going to get even close to $2000 more for it because its got Nav. What will surely be outdated Nav by then.

Lets not quibble over $650. OP will decide what he needs.
^Exactly!
That's why I ended my post with it's OP's decision to make.

BTW, I appreciate all your research and posts regarding the updated steering rack and other things. Quite informative stuff.
      12-05-2012, 05:35 AM   #10
hans007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

this "adds resale value" by buying options idiocy that people keep repeating on this board is amazing.

why doesnt the OP just not buy the tech package and leave $3100 in cash in the trunk. it'll add $3100 to resale value.

it obviously sounds like he will have very little use for tech package. and even if he did get a smartphone in the future, you'd figure it might not be worth betting $3100 that the added "joy of use" a tech package would give him should he get a smart phone could possibly be worth getting the tech package now, seems like a poor bet.

it sounds like he's more or less made up his mind as it is and was just asking the board's opinion just in case there was something he had miss that would merit getting the tech package.

my suggestion for the OP (given he is trading in a 2 year e90). if you like getting new cars fairly often, save your $3100 and put it in the "next car after the F30 you are about to buy" mutual fund. $3100 in 3 years at 4-5% even is like what $3500 towards say a 2016 m3.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 06:06 AM   #11
Ron Scott
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 335 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironysatire View Post
Is there any reason on earth for me to order the Tech Package or Nav? Or should I just waste that money on things like the I6 and the DHP and maybe the M Sport trim?

No, of course you don't need the tech pack. And you dont need that laundry list of rationale to defend your decision.

The 3 most important upgrades are, in order: 335 engine, DHP and heated front seats. The rest offer diminishing returns and just gild the lily.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 06:13 AM   #12
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI

have no idea what you need, but had fun reading your post
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 06:37 AM   #13
jsedlak
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i 6spd

I think you should get a different car. The 335i doesn't make sense for someone like you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironysatire View Post
Is there any reason on earth for me to order the Tech Package or Nav?

- I haven't even used a paper map since about 1993.
- I don't commute by car. My commute is from one room to another.
- When I drive, there is no traffic. None. I live in the country. I'm lucky if I see one car when I drive into the nearest town. I see lots of birds, though. The real problem is going off the road where there's no cell phone signal, getting injured, nobody coming across my wreck for 2 days, and having to eat my own feet to stay alive.
- I don't have a smartphone. I do have a cell phone in the car, for emergencies. I have never had an emergency, knock on wood. Therefore, I have never used my cell phone. I never know how to use it the two times a year I check the battery. btw, we have trouble getting a usable cell signal out where we live anyway. I do not know my cell #.
- I don't want music on a hard drive. I'm an audiophile. I prefer SACDs, CDs, and LPs. I know you can rip your CDs to a car at full CD sound quality, but . . .
- I don't listen to music when I drive. I drive when I drive. Maybe at the three hour point of a really long trip, I'll idly turn on the radio. That's it for music. So I sure don't want to stream music or screw around with the internet or whatever.
- I don't want or need extended "gauges". My E90 has a dipshit econo-gauge instead of an engine temp gauge, and I've successfully lived with only that for 2 years, so I can live without gauges.
- The F30 we test drove for two days had the HUD, and I screamed "Turn that f****** thing off!" to my wife before I started moving. Later, playing with it, it washed out when I had sunglasses on anyway. I don't get the attraction. There's a state-of-the-art (and tasteful) physical speedometer right below that f****** HUD thing, btw.

I am not a Luddite. I have a website at http://www.greggfedchak.com and I'm a co-blogger at http://www.generalunitedindustries.com I have a ku-band satellite dish to monitor European and Mideast networks. My wife works in the computer security field. I'd be happy to get Tech etc. if I had a different life.

Very seriously, is there any reason to consider any of the tech stuff that's available? Or should I just waste that money on things like the I6 and the DHP and maybe the M Sport trim?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 06:58 AM   #14
J1n
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8 V8 '14

Go without the package man.. i remember my dad having everything loaded into his 7 series nvr used 10% of the stuff he ordered lmao
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 07:29 AM   #15
ironysatire
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks, everybody.

Yeah, left to my own devices, I see no point in my getting the Tech Pack, but am worried I might be missing something. I'm asking if I am, because quite often I am missing something.

Resale is not a big issue. I'm leasing my E90, but would hope the next car would be one I could fall in love with and keep beyond two years. I had a Prelude that I really loved, an RX-8, etc., and am trying to duplicate and/or better those experiences.

To the guy who said that it doesn't sound like a 335 is for me, why? Is a great car not a great car without the Tech Package?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 07:37 AM   #16
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

It will be waaay hard to ever sell a 335i without Navigation.

I'm not saying you'll get your full $3K option cost back in the sale price, rather dozens (hundreds?) of buyers will simply pass over your car in favor of one that does.

I regularly browse the FS boards, here and other places. So many "stripper" cars have comments like "excellent and beautiful car, too bad no Nav or I would be all over it".

It's the equivalent of A/C, IMO. Even if you live in San Diego and don't need A/C for 360 days of the year.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 07:37 AM   #17
bcl0328
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

are you amish?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 08:03 AM   #18
Valour
petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 alpine white M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcl0328
are you amish?
Lol :
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 08:03 AM   #19
EB_F30
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 13' M Sport 335 6MT

I could see my Grandpa in my head the whole time reading the post...thanks for the laugh, and not in a rude way...My Grandpa was awesome.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 08:19 AM   #20
Hayir
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328i modern line

Get the Bmw assist you don`t need a cell signal to use it. It comes with tech package or you can order it as a stand alone option.

You got a bigger idrive screen and a better idrive control know with tech package. The wide screen gives the option of split screen, you can see two things on the same time. It won`t worth $3100 but here is a reason to get it
      12-05-2012, 08:55 AM   #21
ironysatire
Enlisted Member
Rep

Funny you should mention the Amish. A lot of Amish people live near here. Mennonites, too. I doubt they have Navi to get to their outhouses.

A few of you are putting seeds of doubt in my mind re: this issue.

I'd have to ditch the 335xi concept for a 328xi in order to tech-up and learn how to use it. Is that a good trade-off, or foolhardy?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 08:58 AM   #22
ironysatire
Enlisted Member
Rep

btw, I suspect a lot of F30 drivers go with the 328 rather than the 335 so that they can load up on other options? How many of you consciously did that? BMW seems to have thoughtfully arranged it so that we all spend the same amount of $$ on the car, no matter how we choose to power it.
Appreciate 0