F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > What exactly are "Apps"?
Studio RSR

06-18-2012, 06:55 AM   #1
funkahdafi
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: Z4 (E89) sDrive 35is

What exactly are "Apps"?

Hi,

do I need this feature? What exactly does it provide? All I can read from BMW's description is that it offers some facebook and twitter integration into the car as well as the "plugin" feature to provide iPod style music menus.

What else? Is this essential or just a toy?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 07:07 AM   #2
ReevesBMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Since you are in Germany I don't know how different it is from the version we have here in the US. With the Apps feature you can use some of your iPhone's third party apps through the BMW system via idrive. Facebook, Twitter, Pandora and BMW has their own app called BMW Connected (news, web radio, wiki local, calender, vehicle finder, last mile navigation etc.) which I think is great. I don't think it is essential, but it is nice to have. I use the web radio all the time.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 09:04 AM   #3
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

I didn't order Apps since it won't support Spotify which is what most people over here use. But now it got to me that it might be added later on. Do anyone know if it is possible to add it in a software update or am I screwed?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 09:38 AM   #4
funkahdafi
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReevesBMW View Post
Since you are in Germany I don't know how different it is from the version we have here in the US. With the Apps feature you can use some of your iPhone's third party apps through the BMW system via idrive. Facebook, Twitter, Pandora and BMW has their own app called BMW Connected (news, web radio, wiki local, calender, vehicle finder, last mile navigation etc.) which I think is great. I don't think it is essential, but it is nice to have. I use the web radio all the time.
So it's basically just passing over some content of those apps? And it is restricted to iPhones?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 09:39 AM   #5
funkahdafi
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossifumi View Post
I didn't order Apps since it won't support Spotify which is what most people over here use. But now it got to me that it might be added later on. Do anyone know if it is possible to add it in a software update or am I screwed?
You can get Apps from BMW after your car was built but it's not just software. It needs some additional cabeling too. I asked a BMW dealership in Germany and the total cost was around 300 EUR.

It's probably a little cheaper in the US.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 09:42 AM   #6
ReevesBMW
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I've heard a while back that they might be working on an apps retrofit for the people that didn't order it or possibly bought a used car that didn't have it. To the new car buyers/owners. Remember that it could always be updated to work with new and more popular apps down the road. Thats why I got it.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 09:44 AM   #7
ReevesBMW
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkahdafi View Post
So it's basically just passing over some content of those apps? And it is restricted to iPhones?

Thanks!
iPhones it is.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 09:47 AM   #8
shoptb
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 G01 X3 m40i

Quote:

Thanks!
Yes, it's limited to the Apple iOS (iPhone) applications. Here's some more information:

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t.../bmw_apps.html
      06-18-2012, 09:51 AM   #9
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
I've heard a while back that they might be working on an apps retrofit for the people that didn't order it or possibly bought a used car that didn't have it. To the new car buyers/owners. Remember that it could always be updated to work with new and more popular apps down the road. Thats why I got it.
Quote:
You can get Apps from BMW after your car was built but it's not just software. It needs some additional cabeling too. I asked a BMW dealership in Germany and the total cost was around 300 EUR.

It's probably a little cheaper in the US.
Thanks!
The only real use for it would be integrated music apps I guess. Do people read twitter on the navigation screen?!

I'll wait and see, it would cost me $400 to add it to my car (not produced yet) and at the moment all it does is to add twitter/Facebook.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 09:51 AM   #10
funkahdafi
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Thanks for your feedback guys.

I am not going to use Twitter, Facebook and what not in my car so I'll skip the Apps part. Web Radio is probably very dependant on your reception so I imagine there are a lot of sound skips. I have an 120 GB iPod in the car containing all my music anyways....

Again, thanks for the feedback, much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 11:03 AM   #11
ReevesBMW
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks!
The only real use for it would be integrated music apps I guess. Do people read twitter on the navigation screen?!

I'll wait and see, it would cost me $400 to add it to my car (not produced yet) and at the moment all it does is to add twitter/Facebook.
There is more to it then that. There is Pandora and the BMW app "BMW connected" which adds a bunch of stuff.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 11:15 AM   #12
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
There is more to it then that. There is Pandora and the BMW app "BMW connected" which adds a bunch of stuff.
Pandora is USA only.
The connect app is quite nice but not $400 nice.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 12:16 AM   #13
pcbrew
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i 6MT

FYI, you need BMW Assist (6NL) to be able to get BMW Apps (6NR).
  • 6NL gives you the hardware combox and enhanced BT and USB required.
  • It also gives you a wireless connection and GPS for accident reporting, stolen vehicle tracking, and ability to send addresses via email to the Nav
  • In US it is $650 and includes 4 year subscription to the Safety plan.
  • $199/year after that.
  • MyBMW Remote features, below, are contingent on active subscriotion / wireless connection
  • With 6NL you can use the MyBMW remote app to
    • do Google searches & send addresses to the Nav (via the wireless connection)
    • Remote healight flash & horn
    • Remote unlock
    • in EU, you can start a remote pre-condition cycle to ventilate a car in the summer
  • 6NR (Apps) is just a software option on top of this.
    • BMW Connected Drive App, Pandora, etc. control and UI via iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 02:46 AM   #14
funkahdafi
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcbrew View Post
  • It also gives you a wireless connection and GPS for accident reporting, stolen vehicle tracking, and ability to send addresses via email to the Nav
  • $199/year after that.
  • MyBMW Remote features, below, are contingent on active subscriotion / wireless connection
    • Remote unlock
    • in EU, you can start a remote pre-condition cycle to ventilate a car in the summer
So in other words, 6NL is essential, 6NR is useless
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 09:57 AM   #15
CESIUM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '18 X30i Msport, Carbon/Oyster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcbrew View Post
  • $199/year after that.
    • Remote unlock
Possible to add afterwards in Canada?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 12:30 PM   #16
pcbrew
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CESIUM View Post

I believe Apps can be retrofitted in SW by dealer.

Assist adds a combox with Enhanced BT/USB, GPS, and cellular radio so don't think it can be retrofitted.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 12:34 PM   #17
CESIUM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '18 X30i Msport, Carbon/Oyster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcbrew
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESIUM View Post

I believe Apps can be retrofitted in SW by dealer.

Assist adds a combox with Enhanced BT/USB, GPS, and cellular radio so don't think it can be retrofitted.
Thanks. It seems like that "connected" app while maybe not the most useful now will potentially be more valuable, especially with ios6.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2012, 05:03 AM   #18
funkahdafi
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Combox can be retrofitted too. Not officially though, so you have to get the parts and do it yourself.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 01:00 PM   #19
Foreigner
Rep
Drives: F3x

Quote:
Even though spotify is not supported "natively" it should work through the Plugin mode, i.e. you get a to see a iPhone generated UI on the CID and control it with the iDrive. Pretty much like the iPod UI in the Plugin (definitely works for Pandora (has native integration which is better, though) but havenīt seen it with Spotify myself yet)
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 01:52 PM   #20
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreigner View Post
Even though spotify is not supported "natively" it should work through the Plugin mode, i.e. you get a to see a iPhone generated UI on the CID and control it with the iDrive. Pretty much like the iPod UI in the Plugin (definitely works for Pandora (has native integration which is better, though) but havenīt seen it with Spotify myself yet)
Would be super if that is true. I actually called my dealer and added Apps just in case Spotify comes up with a native application. And also because the snap-in module comes for free then and it can always come in handy.

Until someone with Spotify chimes in I can only wait until week 36.
Appreciate 0