F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Advice on new wheels and selling current ones
GetBMWParts

03-16-2021, 04:27 AM   #1
RosscoeP
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e 2018

Advice on new wheels and selling current ones

Hello,

Apologies for the inexperience here, but could anyone advise me on the best way to go about selling your current wheels and getting new ones.

I have perfect condition 19" wheels on my 2018 330e and they are great (see image below), but i've always liked alloys with a lot of spokes. So what I would like to do change to new 20" Veemann V-FS36.

But forgive me, I have no idea what the best process is. I would prefer to sell my existing wheels as they are great wheels in perfect condition and I need the money to fund the new wheels but what is the best way to sell them and then transport them to the buyer?

In terms of the new wheels, presumably you buy them online, get them delivered then go to a garage and get them to put them on. That seems obvious of course.

If anyone has any advice or experience of this process that would be much appreciated. I would like to do this if possible but need to get my head around the timings, the costs and the process exactly.

Thanks very much in advance,
Ross

Name:  BMW Wheels.png
Views: 667
Size:  518.3 KB
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 06:58 AM   #2
Sheepy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Competition

Two companies that spring to mind, CM Wheels and BM Autosport for buying. If these guys have the wheels you want then they make take yours in part exchange, worth asking.
Another option is to just buy your preferred wheels from the cheapest website using a credit card or any savings then sell your factory wheels on here or eBay to pay off the card/loan to self, if going down the eBay route make sure you take many photos and give plenty of info to maximise your sale.
I think I used Shipley.com to send the last set of wheels I sold on eBay.
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2021, 07:18 AM   #3
peco
Rep
Drives: F36 430d LCI

well ideally would be good to have funds to buy new wheels. You will be under less pressure to sell the old ones, which from my own experience is not always quick if you want to get a decent offer. However i was selling alloys only as i kept the old TPMS sensors and tyres and fitted them to new wheels.
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2021, 07:48 AM   #4
GEP77
Major
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3 Long Range.

The advertised rate for your existing wheels seems to be about £700 delivered and that's with half decent tyres fitted. They might take a while to sell at that price.

In all likelihood your new wheels are going to cost in the region of £1000+ after which you need to add tyre pressure sensors and tyres.

This is quite a gulf in price difference.

Unfortunately I can't see many places being too keen to take your existing wheels as part ex at least not at a price that you'd want.

Probably best to save the pennies.
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2021, 11:42 AM   #5
Sasquartch
Major
Rep
Drives: 520i G30

Keep the old wheels

A couple of potholes later with 20 inch reps you might be glad you did
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 11:44 AM   #6
RosscoeP
Rep

Thanks so much folks... I really appreciate your replies!

I'm assuming the new wheels will be £1500 probably all in, that's £1000 plus all the extras to get on back on the road with them.

I was hoping to maybe get half of the cost back so maybe I might be able to get near that.

I will also check out the companies suggested and of course Shipley.com

Thanks again all, a lot of experience and expertise in this forum which is really invaluable
Appreciate 1
peco6.00
      03-16-2021, 05:12 PM   #7
pwaf13
“M”ing
Rep
Drives: W205 C63

I went through similar with my previous Golf R, bought reps from CM, took to tyre shop and swapped tyres over keeping all packing etc, sold old rims via eBay and shipped via Paisley. By the time I was done was really only the fitting cost ~£70

Going to be doing similar moving from 442M to 763Ms, provided temporarily can stretch the RFTs on the wider rims ahead of upgrading to MP4S later.

The process is well worth it in the long run and importantly doesn't leave you stressing on a sale of unable to drive if needed.
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2021, 05:56 PM   #8
dholdi2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 35d

Didn't we do all this last March ?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 10:10 AM   #9
RosscoeP
Rep

Yes, it does seem like it's worth it... getting wheels that you really like on your car is a big bonus I think.

Thanks pwaf13 that's some other options i'm exploring... good to hear of others going through the same process... it shows it can be done at least lol

Not sure what you mean dholdi2 by 'last March' as I didn't have my car then so I hadn't asked the question
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 11:09 AM   #10
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosscoeP View Post
Not sure what you mean dholdi2 by 'last March' as I didn't have my car then so I hadn't asked the question
Maybe this thread will jog your memory

You may remember it, it's the one from March last year when you say that you've recently bought a 330e, and want different alloys

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1780327

Edit : my mistake, it's from December last year. Damn American date layout !
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 12:28 PM   #11
RosscoeP
Rep

Great... thanks for pointing out robbiep and dholdi2

To answer the question, my post in Decebmer was more speculative and my post this week asked for more detail on the full process and a recommendation for any companies that others had used. Now I am in a position to change my wheels so needed a bit more information and confidence.

With the responses in this thread, for which i'm very grateful, I think there's validation of the second post. But forgive me if raising the question again is not appropriate or has upset anyone.

Perhaps I just like to engage with others in this forum on the rare occasion I have anything to query.

Thanks again everyone for your responses and time.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 12:34 PM   #12
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP & S1000 XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosscoeP View Post
Great... thanks for pointing out robbiep and dholdi2

To answer the question, my post in Decebmer was more speculative and my post this week asked for more detail on the full process and a recommendation for any companies that others had used. Now I am in a position to change my wheels so needed a bit more information and confidence.

With the responses in this thread, for which i'm very grateful, I think there's validation of the second post. But forgive me if raising the question again is not appropriate or has upset anyone.

Perhaps I just like to engage with others in this forum on the rare occasion I have anything to query.

Thanks again everyone for your responses and time.
I believe your expectations on costs are way out.
For 20" premium rubber (please don't even consider budget tyres) & a set of TPMS valves, you're easily looking at £1k - On top of your new wheels.
But yours will probably easily sell on here as they're nice wheels!