F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Dinan tuning vs BMS JB4
Studio RSR

12-02-2014, 09:15 PM   #1
changshuzeiss
Rep
Drives: 2014 f30 328i

Dinan tuning vs BMS JB4

HI Guys,I have noticed that there is a big difference in pricing between those two brands.What is the reason for the big price difference.Sorry to mention the items.the DINANTRONICS™ Performance Tuner Stage 1 for BMW F30 328i F10 528i (N20) and the BMS JB4. 1499$ vs 500$
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 09:26 PM   #2
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
with dinan you're paying for a bmw "supported" tune. while a jb4 would void your warranty if you left it in.
      12-03-2014, 02:27 PM   #3
munch520
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 328i M Sport

Some piece of mind vs none. You pay mas dinero for the lower (no) risk.
      12-04-2014, 09:43 PM   #4
reedo302
Estorilblau Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan Estoril 328i M Sport

With Dinan, you're paying for the R&D, warranty support, and complexity of the tune. The Dinan setup is more advanced than other units on the market, and it controls more systems in the car. The Dinan vs Other discussion has been beaten to death and you'll find people on both sides. Decide for yourself.

One thing I will say is that Dinan carries name recognition and respect, and it also carries resale value should you decide you want to sell your car in the future. I'm not sure how it is around other parts, but where I live used modded cars don't command very much money unless they have expensive wheels or extensive forced induction or really expensive exhausts. For general tuning it's generally a wash. If you come across a car with Dinan parts or tuning, the car tends to have a higher sale value.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 11:13 PM   #5
MyFragileHalogen
Captain
Rep
Drives: '16 M4 6MT

Performance: JB4 > Dinan
Stability: JB4 < Dinan
Appreciate 2
      12-05-2014, 07:59 PM   #6
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by reedo302
With Dinan, you're paying for the R&D, warranty support, and complexity of the tune. The Dinan setup is more advanced than other units on the market, and it controls more systems in the car. The Dinan vs Other discussion has been beaten to death and you'll find people on both sides. Decide for yourself.

One thing I will say is that Dinan carries name recognition and respect, and it also carries resale value should you decide you want to sell your car in the future. I'm not sure how it is around other parts, but where I live used modded cars don't command very much money unless they have expensive wheels or extensive forced induction or really expensive exhausts. For general tuning it's generally a wash. If you come across a car with Dinan parts or tuning, the car tends to have a higher sale value.
On our engine the Dinan tune does not "control more" or give you more functionality of logging, safety, etc compared to the JB4.

HOWEVER, i will agree with the above posts that, there is warranty piece of mind, much better resale value of the car as a whole, maybe even higher sometimes, and a generally more conservative tune. I personally have a JB4, but have had Dinan on two previous cars. I just prefer the JB4 functionality and capability for our specific engine. That being said. Do some searching and just make a cost benefit analysis of what you want.

Good Luck!
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 12:14 PM   #7
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

BMW does not support Dinan Tune.
Dinan will offer you the same warranty as BWM if your warranty was voided.

Dinan Pros:
Has been tuning BMWs for 20 years

BMS Pros:
Cheaper
more power out of the box

Also i am not sure if Dinan has datalog capabilities.

In terms of safety, both are very safe.
Appreciate 2
330iToy71.00
      12-09-2014, 04:11 PM   #8
Burnt C6
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
BMW does not support Dinan Tune.
Dinan will offer you the same warranty as BWM if your warranty was voided.

Dinan Pros:
Has been tuning BMWs for 20 years

BMS Pros:
Cheaper
more power out of the box

Also i am not sure if Dinan has datalog capabilities.

In terms of safety, both are very safe.
I will say this. My BMW dealer installed my Dinan tune therefor If it blows up something they will be responsible for it as long as I didn't do anything on my end to make things happen like running past redline for an extended amount of time all the time or something stupid. Not real sure how they can install something they sell and not warranty it.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 04:16 PM   #9
Mike_L
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335xi GT M-Sport MPPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt C6 View Post
I will say this. My BMW dealer installed my Dinan tune therefor If it blows up something they will be responsible for it as long as I didn't do anything on my end to make things happen like running past redline for an extended amount of time all the time or something stupid. Not real sure how they can install something they sell and not warranty it.
My dealer installed the JB4 on my X5M. Doesn't mean if it blew up they'd cover it. Dinans warranty and BMWs warranty are 2 different things. If the motor blows and its Dinans fault, they'll cover it. If its BMWs fault, they'll cover it. Either way, the dealer fixes it. Its all invisible to the consumer.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 04:34 PM   #10
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
My dealer installed the JB4 on my X5M. Doesn't mean if it blew up they'd cover it. Dinans warranty and BMWs warranty are 2 different things. If the motor blows and its Dinans fault, they'll cover it. If its BMWs fault, they'll cover it. Either way, the dealer fixes it. Its all invisible to the consumer.
As Mike explained the dealer will install it but it will not cover it.
If things go south BMW will blame Dinan, and Dinan are supposed to fix it for free.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 09:53 PM   #11
Larry Chijner
Private
Rep
Drives: 428IX

If something goes wrong with Burger , BMW will blame Burger and you won't have to worry about if Dinan is Suppose to fix it. It will be on the individual to pay for it after you try and cover up you had a tune in there. I personally feel more comfortable with Dinan but to each their own. Happy Holidays Everyone.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 08:43 AM   #12
Burnt C6
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post

As long as I'm not out anything that's all I care about. How money transfers hands behind the seen isn't my concern.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 09:53 AM   #13
T_flare
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

sooo If my car is 5 years 50k miles (out of warranty) then there is no additonal warranty with Dinan right?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 10:17 AM   #14
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_flare View Post
sooo If my car is 5 years 50k miles (out of warranty) then there is no additonal warranty with Dinan right?
If product is purchased after the new car warranty is over the Dinan product has a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty (on the Dinan product only). Legal-babble below...

CARS NO LONGER COVERED BY THE ORIGINAL VEHICLE MANUFACTURER’S NEW CAR LIMITED WARRANTY
Dinan® Performance Products are warranted for a 2-year, unlimited mileage period from the date of original purchase. Dinan’s warranties are transferable when ownership of the vehicle into which the Dinan products were originally installed is sold.
To obtain service under this warranty, the vehicle or Dinan® product must be brought, upon discovery of a malfunction or defect in materials and/or workmanship, to any Authorized Dinan Dealer during normal business hours. In the event of a warranty claim, Dinan will repair or replace, at its sole discretion, any defective Dinan component upon receipt of the item and proof of the original purchase in the form of a lawful invoice. This warranty does not include reimbursement for repairs to any original vehicle manufacturer’s component(s) that may have been affected by a Dinan component. Labor charges associated with the repair or replacement of a Dinan product will be reimbursed at the Authorized Dinan Dealer’s standard hourly rate, based upon the original vehicle manufacturer’s and/or Dinan’s schedule of flat rate labor times. The defective component must be returned to Dinan for verification of the defect before any warranty adjustment will be made. A reasonable period of time must be allowed for warranty replacement, shipping and/or repairs to be completed after the vehicle or product is received by an Authorized Dinan Dealer or Dinan’s facility.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 11:36 AM   #15
focal
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i 6MT w/ MPS & MPE

So basically, unless Dinan has a superior tune, you are SOL on the car if it breaks something.

dinan is a great tune for new or close to new cars to maintain the extra peace of mind that the tune covers OEM repairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
If product is purchased after the new car warranty is over the Dinan product has a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty (on the Dinan product only). Legal-babble below...

CARS NO LONGER COVERED BY THE ORIGINAL VEHICLE MANUFACTURER’S NEW CAR LIMITED WARRANTY
Dinan® Performance Products are warranted for a 2-year, unlimited mileage period from the date of original purchase. Dinan’s warranties are transferable when ownership of the vehicle into which the Dinan products were originally installed is sold.
To obtain service under this warranty, the vehicle or Dinan® product must be brought, upon discovery of a malfunction or defect in materials and/or workmanship, to any Authorized Dinan Dealer during normal business hours. In the event of a warranty claim, Dinan will repair or replace, at its sole discretion, any defective Dinan component upon receipt of the item and proof of the original purchase in the form of a lawful invoice. This warranty does not include reimbursement for repairs to any original vehicle manufacturer’s component(s) that may have been affected by a Dinan component. Labor charges associated with the repair or replacement of a Dinan product will be reimbursed at the Authorized Dinan Dealer’s standard hourly rate, based upon the original vehicle manufacturer’s and/or Dinan’s schedule of flat rate labor times. The defective component must be returned to Dinan for verification of the defect before any warranty adjustment will be made. A reasonable period of time must be allowed for warranty replacement, shipping and/or repairs to be completed after the vehicle or product is received by an Authorized Dinan Dealer or Dinan’s facility.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 02:07 PM   #16
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
You need to read the warranty section on Dinans website.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 02:10 PM   #17
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by focal View Post
dinan is a great tune for new or close to new cars to maintain the extra peace of mind that the tune covers OEM repairs.
Except when Dinan and BMW are arguing what caused the failure. It has happened before.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 02:25 PM   #18
Ravenvow
Registered
Rep
Drives: 09 335i E92 - Dinan Tune

335i Dinan Stage 2 WITH JB4 on top - Need help

Hey folks, I have a N54 e92 with Dinan Stage 2 software on it now, i have just bought aJB4 as well. I was told when i ordered that I need to do 4/2. I have no idea what the best setup would be or how they work with each other. Anyone here ever try this? Helpful hints - the only mods i have is an intake, charge pipe with new blow off, and I have catless DPS but i havent put them on yet.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 02:16 PM   #19
lunchbox
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i X drive

Garage List
2011 BMW X3 335  [0.00]
2013 335xi  [0.00]
Ideally you buy the Dinan because your in warranty. The jb2 gets more HP and is 1/4 of the cost. Assuming you could get the Dinan stage 2 on the used market in the $800 range would it still be worth it. Assuming your cars going to be out of warranty soon and if something breaks either way your SOL. Or is the JB4 going to be that much better regardless of price.

I dont plan on adding another mod aside from intake. DP seems like to much effort dealing with inspection stickers in my state.

The stage 1 however easy to install is the same as the MPPK. Burger and BMW both state a .2 0-60 time increase.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 10:54 PM   #20
Versipellis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F36 440i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by focal View Post
So basically, unless Dinan has a superior tune, you are SOL on the car if it breaks something.

Doesn't this:

Quote:
This warranty does not include reimbursement for repairs to any original vehicle manufacturer’s component(s) that may have been affected by a Dinan component.
Basically mean that Dinan will only replace and repair their parts if something blows, but not the OEM vehicle parts?
      06-24-2016, 08:04 AM   #21
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versipellis View Post
Doesn't this:

Basically mean that Dinan will only replace and repair their parts if something blows, but not the OEM vehicle parts?
It does when we are referring to the 2 year warranty (the one when the car is out of the new car warranty period). The exact opposite is true when it is in the new car warranty period (First 4 YR/50k of vehicle life).
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2016, 01:50 PM   #22
rambi
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BmW F30

not going with dinan = extra money left for wheels or other mods
my car has warranty for 6yrs
Appreciate 0