F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > BAD BAD Service Rant!
proTUNING Freaks

04-26-2014, 12:15 AM   #1
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
BAD BAD Service Rant!

I picked up my 328 Msport with full M Performance exterior in Feb.

I only had the car for a month when I noticed that the front splitter had some bubbling is best I can describe it in one spot (imagine paint bubbling).

Took the car in and no questions asked they said they would replace with new one.

However, when I picked the car up they had put a 3cm scratch in the front bumper as well as a few gouges. Not to mention the splitter was not sitting flush.

Took car in again. No questions asked, lots of apologies and service manager agreed it was a shoddy job. They again put in new splitter and repainted the bumper.

Service manager attended himself and did the QI.

So, picked the car up today on a Saturday. To my horror, again the splitter was not sitting flush, again a few new marks on the bumper - an area where there were several pitting marks in the paint. And to top it off, they had not put the bumper back on properly as I can now put my finger in between the gap where the bonnet shut line is.

I refused to collect the car, but as it is a Saturday there are no service advisors. So they will need to deal with it on Monday. I have now been up there 6 times to get the original problem fixed.

I was already not happy with now having non factory paint on a one month old car but now all these new problems.

I pride myself on how well I look after my cars. My previous X5 and 135 did not have a single scratch on the paint or wheels after 5-6 yrs of ownership.

Sorry I don't have pictures at the moment as I am so pissed.

What would you guys do next? I am not looking for compensation, I just want to enjoy my new car and this is all detracting from the joys of new car ownership.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 01:10 AM   #2
MickAv8r
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 EBII 328ix

Bitch up the chain of command? Take photos and contact the head of the dealership and also BMW of Australias or whoever is the master entity in your country.

2014 328ix EBII - Sport AT, Light Pkg, Blk Dakota, Moonroof, Navigation, Heated Seats, HK Audio, Driver Assist, Sport Pedals, Dinan Springs, Bilstein B8s, M-Performance BBK
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 01:52 AM   #3
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
Didn't take many photos as only had iPhone and was so pissed anyway.

Besides I left the car there so as they cannot put any blame on me.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 09:53 AM   #4
diablo2112
2024 M440i GC (G26)
Rep
Drives: 2024 M440i Gran Coupe

Hard to judge without pics. I've found for minor cosmetic issues, replacement is a gamble. After-the-fact fitment of bumpers and body panels is dicey. Way too many things have to be removed and reinstalled, and you risk further damage, strange squeaks and rattles, and the inability to reinstall parts with factory tolerances, since the dealerships simply don't have the sophisticated robots and assembly fixtures that the factory uses.

I'd rather they fix the paint on the original part with a competent body shop. Your story reinforces that perception I've had for a while. Sorry you had to put up with this.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 03:38 PM   #5
Mobster1983
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo2112 View Post
Hard to judge without pics. I've found for minor cosmetic issues, replacement is a gamble. After-the-fact fitment of bumpers and body panels is dicey. Way too many things have to be removed and reinstalled, and you risk further damage, strange squeaks and rattles, and the inability to reinstall parts with factory tolerances, since the dealerships simply don't have the sophisticated robots and assembly fixtures that the factory uses.

I'd rather they fix the paint on the original part with a competent body shop. Your story reinforces that perception I've had for a while. Sorry you had to put up with this.
A bumper should be a pretty easy replacement for any half-way decent body shop.

I would personally demand a new OEM bumper be installed. You really need to take pictures though, because without pictures you have absolutely nothing to stand on.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 04:13 PM   #6
diablo2112
2024 M440i GC (G26)
Rep
Drives: 2024 M440i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobster1983 View Post
A bumper should be a pretty easy replacement for any half-way decent body shop.
Yep. And 99% of the dealers are going to try this fix themselves. Too cheap to farm out a job that cost $$$ that they can assign some tech to do in house. My experience with BMW and Mercedes dealers has been less than perfect. They're not nearly as competent as independent shops. Forget "repair" of anything. All they do is diagnose and replace whatever the computer says is wrong, either under warranty or (better yet) some poor paying customer.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 07:38 PM   #7
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo2112

Agree totally.

I was initially reluctant to get the splitter replaced knowing they would have to rip the old one off and then scrape off any remaining beta link glue. The SA said the problem would get worse and the bubbling in the splitter would eventually spread. So I reluctantly went ahead with it.

I've seen a few posts where members are concerned about getting the splitter replaced at some later stage for whatever reason. I would say the concerns are well founded. The process of taking the splitter off surely cannot be very good for the bumper/paint. And now I've had the process done twice already.

Not to mention the carelessness factor whereby your bumper has a good chance of getting scratches
Ike mine did.

I am not concerned re pictures as the dealer originally took it themselves so know my bumper was in perfect condition.

It is impossible if not damn difficult to match factory tolerances.

They will get a shock come Monday when they realize my car is still there.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 09:49 PM   #8
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
Update.

Service manager called me up today.

Apparently he had noticed the gap in the front splitter ie it was not flush. He commented on it but the body shop guys insisted that it was the best they could do! He had an argument with them over it.

I said I have delivery photos to prove perfect fit as well as pull up hundreds of online photos to prove flush fitment. He said there was no need to do that as he was in 100% agreement with me. I also said its a genuine bmw part and I would expect a perfect fit. I'm paying premium prices and not an aftermarket product where I would be more forgiving if it wasn't 100% right.

He was actually really good about it all and just apologized and wanted to get it right for me.

So, he is ordering in a brand new front bumper as well as a new front splitter and before anyone touches it he will see how it fits on and then call me before any work is done.

For those with the m performance splitter, is anyone unhappy with their fitment? Does it sit flush?

This whole saga shows that one needs to be really careful with their splitter as repairs on it will be dissapointing.

To put things right now it was inevitable a new bumper had to be ordered. However I'm concerned that they couldn't even put the bumper back properly and now we are talking about removing and refitting many parts, headlights, grills, parking sensors, side view camera, parking assistant sensors etc etc from old to new bumper.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 10:03 PM   #9
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
Only have Iphone pictures.

Bonnet gap left after refitting bumper.

And various of 2nd attempt at fitting splitter. Was better than first but still showing gaps. I guess on a white car it's really unforgiving.

The photos don't show though that it's not stuck on right either as you can push on various places and it's obvious that it's not attached to the body.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 02:04 AM   #10
Mobster1983
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i

Does your dealer do their own body work there, or do they have authorized body shops? Who will fix your car if it is in an accident?

The dealer is obviously not very capable of body work, but any decent body shop, especially one that is certified to work on BMWs or other high end cars. You may be able to work with the dealer to make sure that the replacement is done by a certified body shop, versus their technicians who are only trained for basic repairs.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 02:06 AM   #11
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobster1983
Does your dealer do their own body work there, or do they have authorized body shops? Who will fix your car if it is in an accident?

The dealer is obviously not very capable of body work, but any decent body shop, especially one that is certified to work on BMWs or other high end cars. You may be able to work with the dealer to make sure that the replacement is done by a certified body shop, versus their technicians who are only trained for basic repairs.
This is what I don't get.

They have their own bodyshop and are authorized repairers. I've seen their workshop and looks impressive enough.
Appreciate 0