F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) > Turner Motorsport celebrates 300th race
Studio RSR

09-18-2014, 09:20 PM   #1
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Turner Motorsport celebrates 300th race

TURNER CELEBRATES 300th PROFESSIONAL RACE AT CIRCUIT OF THE AMERICAS.

Amesbury, MA -- September 15th -- Turner Motorsport is set to reach another milestone as the team prepares for their 300th professional race with the legendary BMW brand next weekend at the “world class” Circuit of the Americas. The six-time Championship winning race team and leading BMW tuner in North America will start their 299th and 300th professional races in the Tudor United SportsCar Championship Lone Star Grand Prix, second in the world only to Schnitzer Motorsport.

The accomplishment comes 16 years after Will Turner (team owner) entered his E36 328i touring car in the team’s first-ever professional race in Topeka, Kansas. Since 1998, Turner has remained faithful to the BMW brand, racing behind the coveted blue and white roundel exclusively for the much of the last two decades. Over that time Turner’s iconic blue and yellow BMWs have recorded 75 race wins, 235 top-five finishes and six championships in the last 298 races.

“Saturday will certainly be a great day for Turner Motorsport,” said Will Turner. “300 races with BMW is something I am extremely proud of and I hope it will be an important one towards another championship.”

The past 16 years have seen Turner campaign iconic BMW racecars, the team’s first race win came with an E36 328i Touring Car. In 2003 and 2004 Bill Auberlen won Turner’s first and second Championship titles in the SPEED World Challenge Touring Car with a Turner built BMW E46 325i.

In 2006 Boris Said and teammate Anders Hainer captured the team’s first Grand Am Cup GS class title in the fire breathing E46 M3. That same year Will Turner and Don Salama took the Sport Touring class Championship in an E46 330. Most recently Bill Auberlen and Paul Dalla Lana captured the Grand Am Continental Tire Challenge GS class Championship in 2011 in the V8 powered E92 M3.

“It’s hard for me to believe we are 300, when I first started racing BMWs I never imaged making it to this milestone. Dozens of wins and six championships later, we are back in the hunt for another championship,” said Will Turner.

In 2014, the Turner team has seen much success on iconic tracks all over North America in the TUSCC series with four wins in the new BMW Z4 GTD. The wins have put the No. 94 of Dane Cameron in a five-man tie at the top of the driver standings. Turner Motorsport leads the Team standings and has placed BMW second in BMW manufacturer points.

Turner Motorsport Team Highlights:
Exclusively racing BMWs since 1998
6 Professional Sports Car Championships
300 Races with BMW, second in the world to Schnitzer Motorsport
75 race wins
12 “GT” category wins
2011 BMW Sport Trophy Winner- Paul Dalla Lana
2006 Driver BMW Sport Trophy Third Place- Will Turner
Will Turner - 119 professional races with BMW

Championships:
2003 SPEED World Challenge Touring Car- Auberlen
2004 SPEED World Challenge Touring Car- Auberlen
2006 Grand-Am Cup Grand Sport- Said/ Hainer
2006 Grand Am Cup Sport Touring- Turner/Salama
2007 Grand Am Koni Challenge Sport Touring- Hopwood/Burrows
2011 Grand Am Continental Tire Challenge Grand Sport- Auberlen/Dalla Lana

BMW Models Raced:
E36 325/328
E46 325/330
E46 M3
E90 330
E92 M3
M6 GT
E92 M3 GT
Z4 GTD

BMW Drivers that have driven for Turner motorsport
Boris Said
Bill Auberlen
Max Martin
Joey Hand
Jorg Muller
Dirk Muller
Dirk Werner
Andy Priaulx
Augusto Farfus

Other Drivers:
Will Turner
Dane Cameron
Markus Palttala
Paul Dalla Lana
Billy Johnson
Michael Marsal
Tom Kimber Smith
Terry Borcheller
Don Salama
Matt Bell
Justin Marks
Trevor Hopwood
Adam Burrows
Matt Alhadeff
Brian Ortiz
Brian Wade

Last edited by 954Stealth; 09-18-2014 at 09:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 09:29 PM   #2
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

TURNER BMW SET SIGHTS ON COTA WITH AIM ON THE CHAMPIONSHIP; LONE STAR STATE SHOWDOWN
For immediate release 9/18/14

Austin, TX. – September 18th, 2014 -- As the pressure mounts with the GTD class title on the horizon, the Turner Motorsport team maintains focus on preparation for Saturday’s Lone Star Grand Prix at the world-class Circuit of the Americas, the first of the final two races in the 2014 Tudor United SportsCar Championship.

The blue and yellow set their sights on the complex 3.427-mile, 20-turn road course amongst an incredibly tight three-car battle for the GTD class Championship with just two races remaining. After the recent victory at Virginia International Raceway the No. 94 BMW Z4 of Dane Cameron and Markus Palttala claimed valuable points, forcing a tie with the No. 22 Porsche and No. 555 Ferrari.

“We have great momentum coming off back-to-back wins so we need to keep pushing and executing like we have been in hopes of taking sole possession of the points lead,” commented Dane Cameron. “It's really special to be a part of Turner Motorsport's 300th race with BMW this weekend and it would be great to get a win to make it even more memorable.”

Despite the team’s recent momentum, the latest IMSA Balance of Performance adjustments will add yet another 25kg to the already “weighed down” No. 94 Turner BMW. This latest “BoP” adjustment brings the total added weight to 80kg since round 3 at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca back in May.

“I am a little apprehensive about our chances in the next two races,” explained Will Turner. “The 'Balance of Performance' adjustment was done by IMSA – our car gained 25kg – which proportionally is a lot of weight to carry - but what I am worried about is the positive adjustments the Porsches received – less weight, more front splitter with dive planes, larger refueling restrictor. It’s a little late in the season, in my opinion, to get such a significant adjustment especially when championships are at stake.”

Dane Cameron and Markus Palttala prepare for the challenge in round ten of the Tudor Championship, as the No. 94 Z4 will take to the track today for the first practice session in preparation for the “Lone Star State Showdown” in the 20 car strong GTD field. Currently the top three cars in GTD hold 244 points apiece, just 11 points over the fourth position and 19 over fifth and sixth, forcing a two-race battle for the title.

“I am excited to get on another new circuit and with a three-way tie for first in the championship it will be that much more exciting. With yet another BoP adjustment it’s not going to be easy, the race will go to the fastest guys with the least amount of mistakes,” said Markus Palttala. “We need another good result to put us in position to win the title at Petit, at this point it’s really anyone’s to claim.”

Tune In:
Qualifying for the Lone Star Grand Prix, Turner Motorsport's 300th Professional Race start will kick off on Friday, Sept. 19th at 5:30pm ET and will be broadcast live on IMSA.com. The two-hour and forty-five minute Lone Star Grand Prix at Circuit of the Americas is set to start on Saturday, Sept. 20th at 12:30pm ET and can be seen LIVE on Fox Sports 2. In addition to the live broadcast the race will also re-broadcast on Fox networks on Sunday, Sept. 21st. Please check your local listings for specific times.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 06:13 PM   #3
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Turner Motorsport races to the 300 mark.

Turner Motorsport, the team that runs the only BMW Z4 GTD in the United SportsCar Championship, will celebrate a special milestone at Circuit of the Americas in this weekend’s Lone Star Le Mans race. It enters its 300th professional start with a BMW.

The car, driven by Dane Cameron and Markus Palttalla, will race with the number 300 instead of its regular number 94 on its distinctive blue and yellow livery.
This season the team has been successful in the GTD class of the USCC with four wins. It currently leads the team competition, while America’s Cameron is one of four drivers leading the points rankings.
Over the past 16 years it has won 75 races for BMW in six sports car championships. Team owner, Will Turner, commented: “Saturday will certainly be a great day for Turner Motorsport. Three hundred races with BMW is something I am extremely proud of and I hope it will be an important one towards another championship.”

(Credit: BMW-Motorsport)
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2014, 11:46 AM   #4
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Leading GTD...do it TMS!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2014, 02:30 PM   #5
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

3rd place....good job Dane and Marcus!

Congrats to Turner Motorsport and Dane Cameron/Markus Palttala on finishing third in the GTD class at the Circuit of the Americas – in Turner’s 300th professional race with BMW. BMW Team RLL finished sixth and seventh with its two cars in GTLM. Only one USCC race to go… Petit Le Mans! ///

Last edited by 954Stealth; 09-21-2014 at 10:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 11:35 AM   #6
Patrón
PAZUZU
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Stealth View Post
3rd place....good job Dane and Marcus!

Congrats to Turner Motorsport and Dane Cameron/Markus Palttala on finishing third in the GTD class at the Circuit of the Americas – in Turner’s 300th professional race with BMW. BMW Team RLL finished sixth and seventh with its two cars in GTLM. Only one USCC race to go… Petit Le Mans! ///
this finish deserves more attention. they drove a great race against a really tough group. the Turner car (and the other z4s for that matter) are extremely handicapped at COTA because of the long straights. I'm just happy the Turner team finished on the podium. it was a great race to watch in person.
Appreciate 0