F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > New F30 EBII 335i scratched!!!
Extreme Powerhouse

12-31-2012, 05:03 PM   #1
Sharp_Cai
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X4MC

New F30 EBII 335i scratched!!!

I have posted a thread at Media Gllery for my brand new arrived F30 335i EBII. Since I brought up the scratch(keyed) that I just got from last weekend(2 days after I picked up the car) I think it is better to start a new thread about it, and to see if I can get any good thoughts from you guys. Also, please post the scratches on your cars (if u have any) and the fixing results. Thanks in advance!

Here is my scratch( to me I think it looks more like someone keyed it)

Last edited by Sharp_Cai; 12-31-2012 at 05:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 05:32 PM   #2
jdong
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW ActiveHybrid 3

My A4 was keyed a while ago. Fixing it with metallic paint was around $2000 in California. Came back looking like new but it involved repainting nearly half the car
      12-31-2012, 05:46 PM   #3
Sharp_Cai
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdong View Post
My A4 was keyed a while ago. Fixing it with metallic paint was around $2000 in California. Came back looking like new but it involved repainting nearly half the car
$2k????That is very expensive! Glad mine is not that bad. I can live with that if someone is charging me $2k.

Why can't they just sand it off and repolish it?
      12-31-2012, 05:49 PM   #4
howiegu
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 22%E2%80%99 M440

Nice picture. Where is the car with the scratch? -
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 05:51 PM   #5
jdong
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp_Cai
Quote:
$2k????That is very expensive! Glad mine is not that bad. I can live with that if someone is charging me $2k.

Why can't they just sand it off and repolish it?
It was keyed across 3 panels. One scratch down the entire left side. The bulk of the cost was the labor involved in painting half a car at the ~$70/mo labor rate.

It was a purchased car that I intended on reselling, so I wanted the repair job to be top notch and as close to new as possible.
      12-31-2012, 05:52 PM   #6
Sharp_Cai
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by howiegu View Post
Nice picture. Where is the car with the scratch? -
lol. I will load up a better pic later when I am home.
      12-31-2012, 05:56 PM   #7
Sharp_Cai
Captain
Rep

Quote:
It was keyed across 3 panels. One scratch down the entire left side. The bulk of the cost was the labor involved in painting half a car at the ~$70/mo labor rate.

It was a purchased car that I intended on reselling, so I wanted the repair job to be top notch and as close to new as possible.
It sounds like the scratch my mom's car has. I was thinking to sand it off and repolish it since its just a tiny area. Do you think it will work?
      12-31-2012, 06:12 PM   #8
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

It's impossible to tell what you actually posted to try and post fix it advice.

Paint is pretty straight forward stuff. You have a layer of clear, and a layer of paint. Depending on how far it's gone through will depend on your fix.

You can try to just polish/buff it out, or try to wet sand it (which I would recommend having a body shop doing, don't try to do it yourself), if it's through the paint you'd need touch up paint.

FWIW it's worth trying to find a trusted detail shop or body shop, or just leave it depending on how bad it is. Scratches will happen and you can often do more damage yourself or having some goon with an orbital try to fix it. I saw a sapphire metallic black E92 that was for sale and the paint had been ravaged by some teenager in the detail shop, you could see waves throughout the paint where he hadn't put even pressure. Looked far worse than it probably did to begin with.
      12-31-2012, 06:22 PM   #9
Sharp_Cai
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
It's impossible to tell what you actually posted to try and post fix it advice.

Paint is pretty straight forward stuff. You have a layer of clear, and a layer of paint. Depending on how far it's gone through will depend on your fix.

You can try to just polish/buff it out, or try to wet sand it (which I would recommend having a body shop doing, don't try to do it yourself), if it's through the paint you'd need touch up paint.

FWIW it's worth trying to find a trusted detail shop or body shop, or just leave it depending on how bad it is. Scratches will happen and you can often do more damage yourself or having some goon with an orbital try to fix it. I saw a sapphire metallic black E92 that was for sale and the paint had been ravaged by some teenager in the detail shop, you could see waves throughout the paint where he hadn't put even pressure. Looked far worse than it probably did to begin with.

Thanks for your advises. It is not a good idea to do it by myself. I think I will go ask BMW first then try other body shops if the price is not accpectable at BMW.
      12-31-2012, 07:05 PM   #10
jdong
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp_Cai
Quote:

It sounds like the scratch my mom's car has. I was thinking to sand it off and repolish it since its just a tiny area. Do you think it will work?
Is the paint metallic? If not, you stand more of a chance. The body shop will be able to go through the various options with you, but in my case I wanted the car to look like new, and the scratch went all the way down to metal, and they told me they wouldn't feel proud to put their name on any lesser fix. At that point I just filed a comprehensive insurance claim to get my car fixed like new and put it behind me.