F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Thank God I decided to wash/wax my car before going on a road trip
GetBMWParts

07-08-2015, 01:24 PM   #1
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Thank God I decided to wash/wax my car before going on a road trip

A little late with this post but last Thursday (July 2nd) I had made the decision to wash and wax my car and giving it a good cleaning before leaving for the 4 hour drive to Long Island for the weekend.

I get to the wheels and tires and notice this:

Needless to say I finished cleaning and immediately called the dealer. Of course they had no loaners available given the short notice so I carefully drove the car over and dropped it off and found other transportation arrangements to get me to and from NY over the holiday weekend.

It's been almost a week now and the car is still at the dealer while I await for the tire to actually get shipped to the dealer. At least they called me on Monday saying they had a loaner and gave me a 528i xDrive.

Either way, if I had decided to wait until AFTER the trip to clean my car, I may not even be here today. The last thing I would've needed is to have the tire blow out on the Jersey Turnpike or something.

Lesson learned though, I need to visually inspect the car more frequently. These low profile run flat tires aren't the most reliable on these pothole ridden streets.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 01:33 PM   #2
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
Good thing you noticed. No rim damage?
      07-08-2015, 01:54 PM   #3
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalDave View Post
Good thing you noticed. No rim damage?
Not from what I could see. But once the tire reaches the dealership (should be today) they could let me know for sure.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 01:57 PM   #4
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
Not from what I could see. But once the tire reaches the dealership (should be today) they could let me know for sure.

I go to the TPMS option on idrive at least once a week and do a check on tire pressures. I know right now my rears are inflated 6lbs above the fronts and just haven't equalized them yet (came from dealer this way). Think I'm running 32lbs front, 38lbs rear.

Hope your wheel is good!
      07-08-2015, 01:58 PM   #5
joz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 335xi

Bummer. Good thing you caught it though!

The rim may be a bit bent 180 degrees opposite of the bubble.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 02:07 PM   #6
BDWonder
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5

Quote:
A little late with this post but last Thursday (July 2nd) I had made the decision to wash and wax my car and giving it a good cleaning before leaving for the 4 hour drive to Long Island for the weekend.

Needless to say I finished cleaning and immediately called the dealer. Of course they had no loaners available given the short notice so I carefully drove the car over and dropped it off and found other transportation arrangements to get me to and from NY over the holiday weekend.

It's been almost a week now and the car is still at the dealer while I await for the tire to actually get shipped to the dealer. At least they called me on Monday saying they had a loaner and gave me a 528i xDrive.

Either way, if I had decided to wait until AFTER the trip to clean my car, I may not even be here today. The last thing I would've needed is to have the tire blow out on the Jersey Turnpike or something.

Lesson learned though, I need to visually inspect the car more frequently. These low profile run flat tires aren't the most reliable on these pothole ridden streets.
Sorry to read about your problem dude. that stinks. I def would not be happy if I saw this on my car. Let’s just get it all fixed! btw, if the tire blew up on the highway, you would be totally fine on these RFT. I am speaking from experience. I was on West Side Highway going to the BMW of Manhattan dealership for maintenance. And I hit a huge pot-hole. Felt like someone shot a cannon at me...and all i heard was a hissing noise. Never did I lose control of the car. And I only had one hand on the wheel. There was no swerving, no screeching, in fact there was nothing to indicate at all loss of control, other than the loud explosion of the tire.

I came to the stealership, and they offered me an insane price for the tire. I thanked them and rejected the offer. I bought the tire on tirerack. I was able to drive home on that blown tire, and then some. Incredible safety and reassurance on the RFT. I still hate them lol but cant deny their use. The tire had at least a 2 inch gash, I was able to slip my three fingers right in there. Get this, the dealer stated that they tried to pump air in the tire but it wasn’t holding it. In raw astonishment of idiocy, I stuck my three fingers in the gash and asked if they considered this hole. Lol.
Appreciate 2
      07-08-2015, 02:57 PM   #7
Mzansi
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2015 320i M Sport

Garage List
Tough one but thankfully you caught that in time. I make it a habit to check tyre pressure once a week, manually and always do a detail before long trips as it help with cleaning on return to base.

On my previous ride, 320d E90, 3 months ago,I hit a pothole, did not damage the rim, BMW On Call came out with a loan tire/rim so I could continue my journey, the next day I fitted 4 new tyres to be safe and 30 km later, another one popped ��, this time I drove 40 km with popped run flat to tyre dealer to get an insurance replacement, so lot of respect and appreciation for RF tyres.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 06:57 PM   #8
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:

Wow--good catch. I usually wash the car after the road trip. I guess I need to do a walk around more closely before trips.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 08:08 PM   #9
rolltidef32
National Championship #17 and Counting!
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW i3s and 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670
Quote:

Wow--good catch. I usually wash the car after the road trip. I guess I need to do a walk around more closely before trips.
Gentlemen, please always check tire pressure, oil, and coolant before going on a road trip. This will save you from being stuck on the road most of the time.

Be safe out there.

Packs: Technology, Driver Assistance, HK Audio, Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 09:37 PM   #10
Jmpascual
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Competition, G05 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDWonder View Post
Sorry to read about your problem dude. that stinks. I def would not be happy if I saw this on my car. Let’s just get it all fixed! btw, if the tire blew up on the highway, you would be totally fine on these RFT. I am speaking from experience. I was on West Side Highway going to the BMW of Manhattan dealership for maintenance. And I hit a huge pot-hole. Felt like someone shot a cannon at me...and all i heard was a hissing noise. Never did I lose control of the car. And I only had one hand on the wheel. There was no swerving, no screeching, in fact there was nothing to indicate at all loss of control, other than the loud explosion of the tire.

I came to the stealership, and they offered me an insane price for the tire. I thanked them and rejected the offer. I bought the tire on tirerack. I was able to drive home on that blown tire, and then some. Incredible safety and reassurance on the RFT. I still hate them lol but cant deny their use. The tire had at least a 2 inch gash, I was able to slip my three fingers right in there. Get this, the dealer stated that they tried to pump air in the tire but it wasn’t holding it. In raw astonishment of idiocy, I stuck my three fingers in the gash and asked if they considered this hole. Lol.
This had already happened to me. Ive actually driven on a bubble for a while without incident. Didn't replace it until it finally kind of tore. However, it is better to be safe than sorry.
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/att...1&d=1412131889
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2015, 05:46 AM   #11
G30 B58
Pace Car Driver
Rep
Drives: '22 AW G30 B58 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by joz View Post
Bummer. Good thing you caught it though!

The rim may be a bit bent 180 degrees opposite of the bubble.
Explain please.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2015, 07:15 AM   #12
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Another reason a quick, daily walk-around of the car is a good idea. I do it obsessively since I street park in Manhattan, but it's not a bad idea for anybody.

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2015, 08:34 AM   #13
joz
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32 N55 View Post
Explain please.
When i got my bubble the rim was slightly bent 180 degrees opposite of where the bubble was. While getting it replaced the tech was saying it is pretty common for the bubble to form opposite of where the impact actually occured. I know the bubble is due to pinching of the side wall from the compression, but not sure why it would be oopposite. I tried to research it a while back but all i found was a bunch of crap about how tire bubbles aren't repairable.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2015, 08:39 AM   #14
ft1330
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Quote:
I go to the TPMS option on idrive at least once a week and do a check on tire pressures. I know right now my rears are inflated 6lbs above the fronts and just haven't equalized them yet (came from dealer this way). Think I'm running 32lbs front, 38lbs rear.

Hope your wheel is good!
Is this a new option in 2015?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2015, 08:46 AM   #15
ft1330
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Quote:
When i got my bubble the rim was slightly bent 180 degrees opposite of where the bubble was. While getting it replaced the tech was saying it is pretty common for the bubble to form opposite of where the impact actually occured. I know the bubble is due to pinching of the side wall from the compression, but not sure why it would be oopposite. I tried to research it a while back but all i found was a bunch of crap about how tire bubbles aren't repairable.
Just a guess but maybe it pushes air to the other side violently so it punctures the inside wall and create the bubble? Kinda weird thought because you would think the displaced air would get spread out in the entire tire, not causing any damage.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2015, 08:47 AM   #16
G30 B58
Pace Car Driver
Rep
Drives: '22 AW G30 B58 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ft1330
Quote:

Hope your wheel is good!
Is this a new option in 2015?
???

Yes you can read tire pressure on the i-drive screen. You can code it for temperature too.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2015, 10:34 AM   #17
carzaddict
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cadillac Escalade ESV

i make it a point to physically check all 4 tires at least once a week for bubbles.

thats the life we live
      07-09-2015, 10:50 AM   #18
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Good thing you caught it

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2015, 10:57 AM   #19
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Yup as others have stated, I'll definitely be making it a habit of checking my tires at least once a week.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2015, 11:06 AM   #20
Thumper333
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i X-Drive

Quote:
I tried to research it a while back but all i found was a bunch of crap about how tire bubbles aren't repairable.
Um, bubbles AREN'T repairable. Bubbles are formed when the steel belts inside the tire snap, and almost always form on the sidewalls. Sidewalls are not repairable and there's no way to weld in new belts (and they aren't really full core steel belts anymore anyway LOL).

OP, good catch, I always like to wash the car before a trip and it's always a good idea to do a quick visual regularly. Glad you caught it.
2015 Audi S3 Misano Red | 19" Sport pack w/Mag Ride | B&O
1983 Porsche 944 All stock
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2015, 12:06 PM   #21
joz
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper333 View Post
Um, bubbles AREN'T repairable. Bubbles are formed when the steel belts inside the tire snap, and almost always form on the sidewalls. Sidewalls are not repairable and there's no way to weld in new belts (and they aren't really full core steel belts anymore anyway LOL).

OP, good catch, I always like to wash the car before a trip and it's always a good idea to do a quick visual regularly. Glad you caught it.
Completely agree they aren't repairable and wasn't trying to find out if there was a work around. By "crap" i was just referring to the generic FAQ/PR statements all manufacturers and shops make about the issue. Had no luck finding any detailed technical info about how it can develop 180 degrees opposite but no luck. I must admit though my efforts were limited to a 5 minute googling endevour.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2015, 11:59 AM   #22
CHCCubs
Colonel
Latvia
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltidef32 View Post
Gentlemen, please always check tire pressure, oil, and coolant before going on a road trip. This will save you from being stuck on the road most of the time.

Be safe out there.
Agreed, I actually check all of these on weekly basis.

2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport Line
Mineral Grey on Everest Grey
Appreciate 0