F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 330d xdrive Wet Grip Issues
GetBMWParts

05-02-2016, 05:38 PM   #45
adam0161
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
Is it definitely xdrive?!

Seriously, I've a got a remapped 335d, and I can probably completely floor it if I was starting to unwind the lock already and not worry about the tail going anywhere. In fact, unless I was in Sport+ I'm not even sure it would But as a I said earlier, with a 6 pot diesel the torque comes in very strong at 2000rpm, so if you press the throttle hard and fast, rather than squeeze it then you risk that coming in and overwhelming the tyres momentarily.

When this happened, did you lift or let the car sort itself out? Between the TC and xdrive it would only ever be momentary,
Ha we did wonder that as there is no xdrive badge, the previous owner went with an m badge instead but the v5 confirms it is an xdrive.

No I didn't lift off, it did sort itself out but the DSC definitely didn't flash up which was a bit odd.

We have seen the DSC come on a few times when pulling out of a junction without us booting it that much.

It must be these awful tyres!

I checked the tyre psi today and it was 30 psi which is way below the 38 psi recommended, but the BMW dealer must have set them at this.

Do you think that could have made much difference?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 05:43 PM   #46
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam0161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
I've run my MPSS for the best part of a year : dry, hot, pissing rain and through the winter - no problems at all. In fact, wet & cold grip/traction have been well above my expectations. For a top-end tyre and with approaching track-bias, they are outstanding as an all-rounder. Like any tyre the limits can be deliberately exceeded but MPSS is my default choice now. Lifespan has been fine too, and I do work the tyres quite hard.
Thanks Watsey that is reassuring to hear, the only thing that is putting doubt in my mind is the review here - http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article...-Tyre-Test.htm

Stating that they have poor resistance to aquaplaning and that they can oversteer easily in the wet.

Would you say this is rubbish?

Many Thanks, Adam
Obviously I'm not a tyre testing pro - IMO it comes down to what balance of performance you are looking for.

The MPSS do have continuous water drainage channels to help clear standing water but these can be overwhelmed, just like on other tyres. I've had a couple of moments when the car lifts on motorways when I hit standing water, but I've had the same thing with every other tyre that have been fitted to my cars. Lift-off the throttle, no brakes, steady steering inputs and the car stays stable for that split second until grip is regained.

In like for like conditions the MPSS beats the OEM RFTs hands down, and if the conditions permit (weather, location, traffic) the MPSS is a top-end performance option compared to the factory-fit low cost option. Other non-RFT options may have a more balanced design regarding wet/dry performance, but the MPSS are very capable in the wet and outstanding in the dry.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 05:48 PM   #47
73henny
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: a lovely new G20 320dx

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam0161 View Post
Ha we did wonder that as there is no xdrive badge, the previous owner went with an m badge instead but the v5 confirms it is an xdrive.
You could put your VIN into an online VIN checker to verify the car's spec.

Gone; F30 335dx, F30 330dx, F21 LCI 125d, F48 X1 20dx, F10 520d
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 05:51 PM   #48
adam0161
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Obviously I'm not a tyre testing pro - IMO it comes down to what balance of performance you are looking for.

The MPSS do have continuous water drainage channels to help clear standing water but these can be overwhelmed, just like on other tyres. I've had a couple of moments when the car lifts on motorways when I hit standing water, but I've had the same thing with every other tyre that have been fitted to my cars. Lift-off the throttle, no brakes, steady steering inputs and the car stays stable for that split second until grip is regained.

In like for like conditions the MPSS beats the OEM RFTs hands down, and if the conditions permit (weather, location, traffic) the MPSS is a top-end performance option compared to the factory-fit low cost option. Other non-RFT options may have a more balanced design regarding wet/dry performance, but the MPSS are very capable in the wet and outstanding in the dry.
Hi Watsey, thanks for that, I'm pretty set on the MPSS now as I've only heard good things about them.

Now to see where they are cheapest.

Btw, did you go with the XL ones for yours as the price seems similar for XL and regular
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 05:52 PM   #49
adam0161
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73henny View Post
You could put your VIN into an online VIN checker to verify the car's spec.
Yes I did that too and confirms its an xdrive.

I will report back when I've fitted the MPSS and hopefully then it will deserve its xdrive status again
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 05:55 PM   #50
Canary_Yellow
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport + LCI MG

I'm not sure the tyres will necessarily change the outcome.

As noted above, xdrive is rear wheel biased so it only really kicks in when the rears start to lose traction. If you left your foot in I think it would sort itself out no problem, but by the sounds of it you're (quite naturally) easing off at the point xdrive would properly kick in.

No doubt the tyres will help a bit, but if you're unloading maximum power in the wet coming off a roundabout I doubt many tyres will retain perfect traction xdrive or otherwise.

That said, I've got an s-drive so what would I know!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 06:06 PM   #51
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Hi Watsey, thanks for that, I'm pretty set on the MPSS now as I've only heard good things about them.

Btw, did you go with the XL ones for yours as the price seems similar for XL and regular
Yes, I'm running XL all round.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 06:18 PM   #52
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Quote:

Either the fronts or rears are only available in XL, so best to get XL all round.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 06:23 PM   #53
adam0161
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Either the fronts or rears are only available in XL, so best to get XL all round.
Great that makes it easy then.

Will get onto blackcircles and get booked in
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 06:23 PM   #54
FSE23
Major
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG 2019

How much do you want for these tyres? Are these ok if the pressure was low?, any punctures? PM me, pls

2007 E92 335i BS ultimate drive
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 06:36 PM   #55
Rich9600
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

The Bridgestones are far from the best tyres in the world. However, they do their job adequately for most situations.

I have a 330d sDrive and rarely find I un-stick the back, under 'normal' driving conditions. The only times I've had any unexpected back end movement have been when pressing on in comfort mode and the gearbox gets caught out by a request for power and downshifts out of a corner/roundabout.

If you want to drive rapidly or sharply, I'd suggest the use of the sports setting for the gearbox, or entire car. The downshifts are much more predictable and you don't get that unexpected downshift and then suddenly all 550Nm at once.

Also, the big torque diesels seem to respond much better to a progressive/analog right foot rather than a sharp/digital one.
      05-02-2016, 06:42 PM   #56
adam0161
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich9600 View Post
The Bridgestones are far from the best tyres in the world. However, they do their job adequately for most situations.

I have a 330d sDrive and rarely find I un-stick the back, under 'normal' driving conditions. The only times I've had any unexpected back end movement have been when pressing on in comfort mode and the gearbox gets caught out by a request for power and downshifts out of a corner/roundabout.

If you want to drive rapidly or sharply, I'd suggest the use of the sports setting for the gearbox, or entire car. The downshifts are much more predictable and you don't get that unexpected downshift and then suddenly all 550Nm at once.

Also, the big torque diesels seem to respond much better to a progressive/analog right foot rather than a sharp/digital one.
Hi Rich,

Yes you're right about having to be careful about the car downshifting during a corner as this can obviously destabilise the car so I will experiment with using the sport mode more when going for it in the corners.

Many Thanks, Adam
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 08:06 PM   #57
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Why is the Subaru's AWD better?! Isn't it the old fashioned mechanical 4wd, as opposed to the xdrive which is electronic and can switch power to different wheels in a fraction of a second?
The open diff is what kills the xDrive.

The old fashioned mechanical 4WD is much better in real world scenarios, where our cars would cut power (which is absolutely horrible in 75% of situations) the subaru doesn't (can set it to locked or open), and you can throttle out of such situations.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 10:12 PM   #58
AlanYoro35i
Senior Troll
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Coming soon-718 Cayman S

If you are going to change the tyres then change to the best (michelin pilot super sports) then go lower grade after. I found that on my old E92 N54 with Birds suspension kit and MPSS it was a great. It just grips and grips in the dry, but on the wet is not as good but much better than runflats

Now: 718 Cayman GTS / F83 M4
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 02:42 AM   #59
monkeyninja
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 320d Msport

Quote:
I've had Eagle F1s on most of my cars and they have always been very good. What size rears do you have?
The fronts are 225's and the rears 255's, save your money and get the f1's you've had them before and know they work. The rears will be available later this month. From what you've said about your driving style the MPSS may be overkill.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 02:45 AM   #60
Pablo68
Left the building
Wales
Rep
Drives: Not a diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post
The open diff is what kills the xDrive.

The old fashioned mechanical 4WD is much better in real world scenarios, where our cars would cut power (which is absolutely horrible in 75% of situations) the subaru doesn't (can set it to locked or open), and you can throttle out of such situations.
+1

Indeed. Which is why I drive my SDrive in Sport+ most of the time... I really don't want the power cut when I am getting squirrelly.... I want to throttle steer please and bring it back in line when I am good and ready.

But I guess BMW have to aim their cars at the majority of modern drivers who are more used to underpowered, understeering FWD's rather than tail happy RWD 80's machinery.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 03:52 AM   #61
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

I cant say I’ve had any issues with traction in the wet on a straight line in my 335d. Flooring it in a straight line does not bring on the TC light, even with crap run flats.

I can only assume the OP came across some oil in the road to cause this or maybe the slightly more aggressive nature of the 330d’s power delivery caused it?

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 03:59 AM   #62
adam0161
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyninja View Post
The fronts are 225's and the rears 255's, save your money and get the f1's you've had them before and know they work. The rears will be available later this month. From what you've said about your driving style the MPSS may be overkill.
I would have considered that option but they only seem to do the f1 in 225 40 19 in the run flat version so I don't want to risk run flats again and besides I'd rather have tyres that I know have more capability in them than my driving style.

Cheers, Adam
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 04:12 AM   #63
davybull
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d xDrive touring mSport

Still got my Scoob, 2004 WRX 5 door with the Prodrive Performance Pack so it's about 275bhp.

It's odd, It seems faster but miles more twitchy than the Beemer.
Definitely more fun but I'm turning into an old git and I love the comfort, speed and sure footedness of the Beemer.
I can get the Scoob slipping and sliding in the wet but the 335 just seems planted and I haven't had any real moments of drama in the last 11 months of ownership.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 04:14 AM   #64
adam0161
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davybull View Post
Still got my Scoob, 2004 WRX 5 door with the Prodrive Performance Pack so it's about 275bhp.

Definitely more fun but I'm turning into an old git and I love the comfort, speed and sure footedness of the Beemer.
I can get the Scoob slipping and sliding in the wet but the 335 just seems planted and I haven't had any real moments of drama in the last 11 months of ownership.
Hi there,

That seems completely different to my own experiences, what tyres do you have on each? Any other mods to the Scoob, coilovers?

Cheers, Adam
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 04:18 AM   #65
subsy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i F31

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by davybull View Post

Hi there,

That seems completely different to my own experiences, what tyres do you have on each? Any other mods to the Scoob, coilovers?

Cheers, Adam
Same, i had 3 Imprezas over the years, starting in 1997 with an imported STI Type R, then a UK 300 bugeye, then an STI hawkeye; the latter two being quite heavily fettled at Litchfield.

Only the Type R I could describe as twitchy in any way, and only when right on the edge.
      05-03-2016, 06:05 AM   #66
Drisser
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d/Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven1077 View Post
Gotta love a bit of back end wiggle
you can get that on the S drive for £1500 less so why bother !?