F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > $77,725 for a 2015 435i xDrive Convertible!
Studio RSR

04-11-2015, 11:15 AM   #45
LouisFCO
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2002 WRX, 1993 Corrado VR6

Well that makes sense...take a lower end model, and option it out...there will always be overlap. The idea is to upsell. If you optioned out a 428, you would get to a point where a 435 makes more sense. Same applies with going from 435 to M4.

That being said, while pricing may point towards an M4, a 435Xi customer is not thinking about an M4...because performance is entirely different and M4 is RWD only.

Nothing new here, this happens with all products, industries and manufacturers.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2015, 11:20 AM   #46
st3v
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M Sport

Whoever spends more than $60k for a 435i convertible is out of their minds... Especially now, when the 440i's are around the corner in a year or two. In 1 year the depreciation will make the value drop like a rock.

If money is no object, then go for it. But I'd rather get an M4 vert in that case.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2015, 11:36 AM   #47
bobbydigital
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BWM 435GC

My 435 GC was nearly fully loaded except a few things, with options like MPPK and MPE. MSRP was something like $67k, I got it for $61k. My monthly payment is just under $700 a month.

While the MSRP is close to an M3 (i needed 4 doors) I was comfortable with the 435GC mainly because there was more negotiating room with the 4 series over the M cars. So even though MSRPs are close you wouldn't get anywhere near the same cap cost after negotiation.

Also, usually when people compare standard cars to M cars they talk about a fully loaded version to a bare bones stripper. There is no way I'd ever get a $50k+ car with no options like the package, comfort access etc. given that, the M3 price jumps up another $8k minimum in options.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2015, 12:09 PM   #48
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbydigital View Post
My 435 GC was nearly fully loaded except a few things, with options like MPPK and MPE. MSRP was something like $67k, I got it for $61k. My monthly payment is just under $700 a month.

While the MSRP is close to an M3 (i needed 4 doors) I was comfortable with the 435GC mainly because there was more negotiating room with the 4 series over the M cars. So even though MSRPs are close you wouldn't get anywhere near the same cap cost after negotiation.

Also, usually when people compare standard cars to M cars they talk about a fully loaded version to a bare bones stripper. There is no way I'd ever get a $50k+ car with no options like the package, comfort access etc. given that, the M3 price jumps up another $8k minimum in options.
You're right on, it is about a $10k gap between the M3 and 435GC if the optioning is similar, and a loaded up 435GC will definitely overlap with M3 pricing

The MSRP and negotiated cost of your 435GC and my M3 is the same, but I am definitely accepting a much lower set of comfort features (i.e. no back up camera, cloth seats, no moonroof, 18" wheels)
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2015, 01:28 PM   #49
bobbydigital
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BWM 435GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz
Quote:

You're right on, it is about a $10k gap between the M3 and 435GC if the optioning is similar, and a loaded up 435GC will definitely overlap with M3 pricing

The MSRP and negotiated cost of your 435GC and my M3 is the same, but I am definitely accepting a much lower set of comfort features (i.e. no back up camera, cloth seats, no moonroof, 18" wheels)
Coming from an '04 Z4, I was determined to have all the interior creature comforts so I optioned it with basically everything except the lighting package. I even added parking assistant and ACC for the heck of it.

Admittedly, if it wasn't a lease, I would have been more conservative with options.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2015, 02:31 PM   #50
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Coming from an '04 Z4, I was determined to have all the interior creature comforts so I optioned it with basically everything except the lighting package. I even added parking assistant and ACC for the heck of it.

Admittedly, if it wasn't a lease, I would have been more conservative with options.
I can definitely see that point of view. I would have really liked to have the side and rear cameras and parking sensors on the m3 but didn't want to pay for the executive package

My start point was the opposite from yours. I'm replacing a '12 z435 that had a lot of option packages but had nowhere close to the cooling capacity needed for track use and (I thought) did not have enough power for the weight.

Both our choices make a lot of sense based on what we were trying to get out of our z4 replacements!
Appreciate 2
      04-12-2015, 12:15 AM   #51
wolves
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328i

I'm not surprised but it's still jarring to see on paper.
2014 BMW F30 328i - Base line 8AT, Alpine White, metallic black roof, Megan Racing CF decklid, CF canards, CF eyelids, CF rear diffuser, matte black kidney grills, gunsmoke tail lights/reflectors, VMR 721 Hyper Silver 19x9.5/19.x8.5, 5mm spacers all around, Bilstein B8s, Injen CAI, H&R Sport Springs, muffler-deleted quad pipe, 20% 3M rear tint, M Performance Pedals
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2015, 06:37 AM   #52
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: X5 & 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz
Quote:

I can definitely see that point of view. I would have really liked to have the side and rear cameras and parking sensors on the m3 but didn't want to pay for the executive package

My start point was the opposite from yours. I'm replacing a '12 z435 that had a lot of option packages but had nowhere close to the cooling capacity needed for track use and (I thought) did not have enough power for the weight.

Both our choices make a lot of sense based on what we were trying to get out of our z4 replacements!
You can't go wrong with the M3/4. May I ask if you would recommend anyone who doesn't track their cars periodically to buy an M3? I would love the performance but over the past decade I have been telling myself that I want to track cars and over that time I have been to the track less than 10 times and each time it was a dealer sponsored event. I doubt the next decade will be any different

Congrats on the m3

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2015, 02:35 PM   #53
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hp View Post
You can't go wrong with the M3/4. May I ask if you would recommend anyone who doesn't track their cars periodically to buy an M3? I would love the performance but over the past decade I have been telling myself that I want to track cars and over that time I have been to the track less than 10 times and each time it was a dealer sponsored event. I doubt the next decade will be any different

Congrats on the m3
Thanks! My wife has an f30 335 so i have a lot of direct experience with that car too.

Honestly, i think for a straight up commuter and thinking rationally the 335 is the better car. Lower cost to lease/buy and 25 vs 20mpg. Both cars are overkill for commuter bumper to bumper traffic use.

For me though, it was not a rational decision. Ive wanted an m3 for many years and finances finally permitted it so i went for it. I am a light (1-2 days per month) non competitive track user and stock f30 335 sportline and z435 had insufficient cooling so that somewhat played into my decision as well.

Yolo so i think you should go for it. Or get a fast porsche.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2015, 10:06 PM   #54
335BOY
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive35i View Post
This happens every time BMW rolls out a new model year.

I loaded up a 435i xDrive convertible with M-sport for a whopping $77,725! After tax here in Chicago, that's about $85,000 for what is effectively a 335i convertible. The entry-level luxury segment has never entered this kind of territory before. Why not get an M4 convertible? I remember when the M5 barely eclipsed the $80,000 mark. I just can't wrap my brain around it!
That's really well equipped Cayman/Boxster territory. Trouble is you can get a slower hard topped version for $40,000 less. That makes no sense to me.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 10:01 AM   #55
jb3617
show me potato salad
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328xi

Might be off topic but I recall seeing somewhere that the German philosophy to cars is that if it doesn't make it faster or perform better it doesn't belong. Does anyone else recall hearing/seeing this? Personally I'd forgo a lot of the creature comforts and ensure my money goes towards go faster/better options
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 05:11 PM   #56
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb3617 View Post
Might be off topic but I recall seeing somewhere that the German philosophy to cars is that if it doesn't make it faster or perform better it doesn't belong. Does anyone else recall hearing/seeing this? Personally I'd forgo a lot of the creature comforts and ensure my money goes towards go faster/better options
Maybe a long time ago (i.e. my 1987 VW Jetta had no cup holders)

But these days I look at the Porsche option sheets and see a lot of color crests and other cosmetic options that cost a lot $. Same with BMW and individual paints, interiors etc. parking cameras, full leather interiors, moonroofs aren't performance oriented but are in a lot of our cars too...

I agree on your stance on options but can see the other side of it, since I do wish I had a backup camera....
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 06:38 PM   #57
sr5959
Captain
Rep
Drives: 428GC M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb3617 View Post
I remember when even on a top-of-the-range Merc 560SEC, the passenger side door mirror was electrically-controlled but the driver's was manually adjusted. I think the theory was 'why make it electric the driver can just reach over...'

Glad they stopped with this nonsense.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 06:45 PM   #58
jb3617
show me potato salad
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Maybe a long time ago (i.e. my 1987 VW Jetta had no cup holders)

But these days I look at the Porsche option sheets and see a lot of color crests and other cosmetic options that cost a lot $. Same with BMW and individual paints, interiors etc. parking cameras, full leather interiors, moonroofs aren't performance oriented but are in a lot of our cars too...

I agree on your stance on options but can see the other side of it, since I do wish I had a backup camera....
I see your point. They wouldn't sell nearly as many cars as they do if they didn't have the options available.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 10:25 PM   #59
64-bit
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 Ford Raptor - On Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0nu
Yeah these cars are getting a bit too expensive. I'm in the market for a 435 and my buddy just got an IS350 F sport for half the lease payment. With a better quality interior.
Not only that, the value on BMWs are dropping like there is no tomorrow!

A 60K car with 20K miles you are lucky if you get 35k after 3 years!

This will be the last BMW that I buy, from now on... only good deal on leases and in every 3 years change to a newer model without down payment.